Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Trash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pregnantw/#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trash
    Posted: June 23 2006 at 5:21pm
What's the best way to get rid of garbage if you can't go out of your apparment?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 5:42pm
I would probably put it in my sink or bathtub.....if it was next to a window and burn it in small amounts.  At night when no one could see the smoke.
Rhonda View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 7:30pm
I have started to get rid of as much trash as possible now. I have repackaged alot of my preps into ziplock bags getting rid of boxes (pasta , Rice mixes )I cut the directions off and put them into snack size ziplocks and put them into the bags . Hope this helps.
ozjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 8:11pm
LOTS of garbage bags, with strong ties, and a place to store the stuff for 3 months+.

OJ
Scout motto - "Be Prepared"
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 8:32pm
Rhonda, what a great idea about the packaging. I live in a house, pregnant/w#1, so this probably wouldn't work for you, I plan on using a metal trash can to burn paper garbage. There should very little/no food garbage, will feed to animals if there is any. I was thinking about starting bins for recycling tin cans and aluminum (don't do that now) but then saving until it's safe to take to the recycling center afterwards. Have been considering starting a compost pile.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 11:21pm
Rotting garbage could be a health hazard and could attract rodents, insects etc.

If you have a blender, you could try using it to liquify your leftover food scraps and then flush the liquid down the toilet.

When you are about to go into isolation, cast your eye around the apartment for stuff that could become potential garbage such as newspapers, excessive food packaging, etc. and get rid of what you can then. Cancel your newspaper subscription if have one.

Have some alternatives to paper towels such as reusable sponges and cloth products. Consider buying some cloth napkins if you use paper napkins now. Reusable cloth handkerchiefs would also cut down on the amount of your paper garbage.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 6:39am
I agree with Rhonda, get rid of as much of it as possible now. It's amazing how much space you save which is critical and allows you to prep more.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 8:25am

I think I am more likely to crush the cans and burn the rest in my yard. I have a trash can I use as a fire bucket. Maybe bury what is left.

I was wondering about sewage, without running water keeping it clear, I can see it blocking up. We might have to dump our bad water in the same hole we dump our toilet waste.

If I lived in a apartment, the first part of my prepping would be to leave the apartment. Stay with Parents or the inlaws, someone that has a house. I hate to say it, and I feel for them, but I don't see how they can do it in a apartment.

A storm is coming !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 10:19am
I live in a house so I compost food waste and recycle now. In Toronto its expected . BY doing that I have only one bag of garbage every two weeks. Some people compete to see who can have the least garbage.

I will put my dry food in zipper bags to reduce future gargage.   I will us rainwater to rince the cans and crush the cans.

Apartment living will be challenging as the garbage build up will be unbearable. It time to consider alternate housing combing families and renting a house.    

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 4:13pm
In an emergency, I would recomend attempting to eat all the food in a container.  If you are using canned food get it all out.  You may need a few ounces of water to rinse out the can.  This will prevent it from attracting roaches, mice etc.  Paper plates cups etc should not have extra food on them when thrown away.  I will keep them in a metal pail with lid until I can safely burn them either in the fireplace or outside.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:08am

Sanitation and Hygiene In An Emergency

The lack of sanitation facilities following major disaster can quickly create secondary problems unless basic guidelines are followed.

If the water lines are damaged or if damage is suspected, do not flush the toilet. Avoid digging holes in the ground and using these. Untreated raw sewage can pollute fresh ground water supplies. It also attracts flies and promotes the spread of diseases.

• Store a large supply of heavy-duty plastic bags, twist ties, disinfectant, and toilet paper

• A good disinfectant that is easy to use is a solution of 1 part liquid bleach to 10 parts water. Dry bleach is caustic and not safe for this type of use.

• If the toilet is NOT able to be flushed, it can still be used. This is less stressful for most people than using some other container. Remove all the bowl water. Line it with a heavy-duty plastic bag. When finished, add a small amount of deodorant or disinfectant, securely tie the bag, and dispose of it in a large trash can with a tight fitting lid. This large trash can should also be lined with a sturdy trash bag. Eventually, the city will provide a means to dispose of these bags.

• Portable camp toilets, small trash cans or sturdy buckets lined with heavy-duty plastic bags can also be used. Those with tight fitting lids are best.

Tips for Staying Clean in an Emergency Situation

As much as possible, continue regular hygiene habits such as brushing your teeth, washing your face, combing your hair and even washing your body with a wet washcloth. This will help prevent the spread of disease and irritation as well as help relieve stress.

• Keep your fingers out of your mouth. Avoid handling food with your hands.

• Purify your drinking water. Use chlorine bleach, purification tablets (check bottle for expiration dates), or by boiling for 10 minutes.

• Sterilize your eating utensils by heat. You can also rinse dishes in purified water that has additional chlorine bleach added to it. (Use 2 1/2 teaspoons bleach per gallon of purified water.)

• Keep your clothing as clean and dry as possible, especially under-clothing and socks.

If, during an emergency situation, you develop vomiting or diarrhea, rest and stop eating solid foods until the symptoms ease up. Take fluids, particularly water, in small amounts at frequent intervals. As soon as can be tolerated, resume eating semi-solid foods. Normal salt intake should be maintained.

Keep Basic Hygiene Supplies Handy

These basic supplies should be kept in your Safe Room, Go Pack and Car.

• Cornstarch

• Fingernail clippers and files

• Sanitary napkins

• Insect repellent

• Toilet paper

• Moistened Towelettes or Baby Wipes

• A few bath towels

• Small hand-held mirror

• Liquid all-purpose soap

• Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

• Liquid Chlorine Bleach

• Ammonia (disinfecting aid)

Emergency Sewage Disposal

Water flush toilets cannot be used when water service is interrupted. The water remaining in the fixture is not sufficient to flush the wastes down the sewer. Clogging may result and your living conditions then become just that much more uncomfortable.

Even if water is available, local authorities may ask you not to use flush toilets, wash basins, and other fixtures connected with soil pipes. The sewer mains may be broken or clogged, which would make it impossible to carry off such waste; or water may be needed for fire fighting or other emergencies. It is necessary for every family to know emergency methods of waste disposal in case such conditions arise.

Failure to properly dispose of human wastes can lead to epidemics of such diseases as typhoid, dysentery, and diarrhea. At the same time, sewage must be disposed of in ways that will prevent contamination of water supplies used for drinking, cooking, bathing, laundering, and other domestic purposes. Here are simple steps that any family can take to prevent such dangers and discomforts.

Temporary Toilet Provisions
Right after an emergency, or during one, you will probably not have the time and tools to prepare a complex emergency sanitation system. If there is a delay of several days in restoring sewage service to your neighborhood, you may find that disposal is a big problem. Your first task is to make some temporary toilet provision for your family, especially the children. Almost any covered metal or plastic container will do. You can use a covered pail, a 5-gallon bucket, or a small kitchen garbage container with a foot operated cover for an emergency toilet. Anything that has a cover and will hold the contents until you can dispose of them will serve for sanitary purposes at first.

Emergency Sewage Storage
Keep on the premises at least one extra 10-gallon garbage can or other waterproof container with a tight fitting cover. This should be lined with paper and/or a plastic bag. And the lid should be fastened to the can to prevent its loss. Such a can may be used for the emergency storage of body wastes until the public sewage system can be put back into action, or until other arrangements can be made. Empty your emergency toilet into this storage can as often as necessary. A small amount of household disinfectant should be added after each use. If you live in an apartment, you may not have a large garbage can or room to keep one. In that case, two smaller covered pails or other containers will do just as well.

Solutions for Apartment Dwellers
Persons in city apartments, office buildings, or homes without yards should keep a supply of waterproof paper containers on hand for emergency waste disposal. Where flush toilets cannot be used and open ground is not available for the construction of privies, such disposable containers offer a practical method of emergency waste collection and disposal. Building managers should plan for the collection of such containers and for their final disposal. Before collection, the used containers may be stored in tightly covered garbage cans or other water tight containers fitted with lids. Homemade soil bags for this purpose can be prepared very easily by putting one large grocery bag inside another, and a layer of shredded newspaper or other absorbent material between. You should have sufficient grocery bags on hand for possible emergencies. A supply of old newspapers will come in handy for other sanitary uses also, such as wrapping garbage and lining larger containers.

Controlling Odors and Insects
Insecticides and deodorants should be used when necessary to control odors and insects breeding in containers that cannot be emptied immediately. At least 2 pints of household bleach solution should be kept on hand for disinfecting purposes.

Other Supplies
Keep on hand an extra supply of toilet tissue, plus a supply of sanitary napkins. If there is illness in the house that requires rubber sheeting or other special sanitary equipment, make sure that adequate supplies are available. At least a week’s accumulation of daily newspapers will come in handy for insulating bedding from floors, and lining clothes against cold, as well as for the sanitary uses already mentioned.

Babies
If you have a baby in your home, you may find diaper laundering a problem under emergency conditions. It is best to keep an ample supply of disposable diapers on hand for emergency use. Or, any moisture resistant material can be cut and folded to diaper size and lined with absorbent material.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:30am
4thegirls,
Thank you that was great info!  Blessings!Clap
pregnantw/#1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pregnantw/#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 10:04am
Thanks! I printed the article, it's full of good information :)
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 1:11pm
This thread has some good information!
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 3:28pm
Hi. does anyone remember the "recipe" for home-made wipes. I do remember that you take the roll out of paper towels, cut them into squares and put them in a sealed container. I think there was some combination of baby oil, soap, etc that was poured over the papers to make them a quick solution for handwipes, body wipes, etc. Thanks. Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 6:33pm
I have a worm bin to deal with my trash.I read Worms Eat My Garbage, by Mary Applehof.I got my supplies from www.wormwrld.com.I received quick sevice from them.As well as a very detailed informational booklet.I am in no way connected to either Mary Applehof, or Worm World. I'm just a satified customer.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 11:54am

Another suggestion here ... I've seen "composting" toilets out there in cyber-space, which seems like a good solution ... using wood chips to compost "waste" in and understanding it takes care of the "smell" as well.  May have to google "composting toilets."

As for the baby wipes, I remember "seeing" that as well ... what I remembered from that because I had bought all the supplies ... was papertowels, liquid baby soap, water and baggies..  Just enough baby soap in water to work up some slight suds and pour over the towels in the baggie.  But first, take out the cardboard tube, and another suggestion is to cut the roll of towel in half to extend your "wipes" alittle further. 

Hope this helps ...
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Weird-one View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weird-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 1:19pm
Sweetpea,  that composting toilet system using sawdust is here, he calls it Humanure.  He has an entire book devoted to this subject posted on the web.  It covers the building of the toilet, maintenance and disposal.  It also resembles the real thing which can be placed in the bathroom reducing stress and will be more comforting than using a plain bucket.  Here are some samples of these things.

Steve
For once in my life I hope I'm wasting money!
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 10:30pm
thanx ... weird-one (steve)

I remember seeing it before, I just didn't log it under favorites becuase I had printed it out and shelved it ... seems to be a better approach than having to balance one's self on a bucket ... and some look more presentable as well.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2006 at 10:33pm
LOL ... beats going out in the cold to the outhouse anyday ... Embarrassed!
Weird-one View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weird-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2006 at 1:42pm

Sweetpea, The fact that it looks more presentable and is more "normal" is the biggest reason I choose this system.  We could hang our butts over a bucket but that seems very uncivilized.  I want to make things as normal as possible for the little woman to reduce fear and stress so I put the effort into building one of these.

Perching over a plain bucket seems precarious and I don't relish the thought of accidentally tipping the bucket over.  We live in the city and I don't want to dig a hole in my back yard.  It may also be dangerous to go outside and I feel the most vulnerable when I'm "thinking"

Steve
For once in my life I hope I'm wasting money!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 8:10pm
Wow, some of those composting toilets are nice! Yes, that would be nicer than a bucket.  Thanks for the links Steve!
newprepper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 1:04pm
Yes those composting toilets are just the thing. We have only a small back yard tho and won't be able to build the gizmos to compost the stuff. But, at least the toilet will be lots more comfortable.

One of the other posts up above mentioned using chlorox as a disinfectant for toilet waste. But, it the waste also contains urine, then that isn't a good idea as chorine and ammonia (urine) produce a toxic gas.
What other disinfectant would be good to use instead?
Pegasus View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 11:53am
     Try using garden lime (not the little green citrus fruit) to control odor and aid decomposition of solid waste in your emergency toilet facility (bucket).   Use just enough to cover the waste.  If you are dumping the waste into another container or hole in the ground, then by all means rinse your bucket with a bleach solution.  There should not be a high enough ammonia concentration in your urine to cause any more damage than plain bleach and it will be a LOT more user-friendly for the next person. 
     Be sure you are working in a well ventilated area.  During a time of respiratory illness (or any time for that matter) the last thing you need is to burn the lining of your lungs with chlorine fumes - this also goes for the dry powder folks are getting for water purification. 
     If you have a cat or know someone who has a cat, consider using the 5-gallon type buckets that some cat litter comes in.  You can rig it to use your regular toilet seat for seating (or purchase a spare in advance when someplace has a sale). I have a bucket filled with several rolls of toilet paper, a bunch of plastic trash bags for bucket liners (easier waste removal & transport), a bottle of bleach, a small box of tissues, and a bottle of hand sanitizer.  Be sure to save the bucket lid! You'll want to be able to cover the bucket both while in storage and during times of need. 
     "We do not know the true value of moments until they have undergone the test of memory."   unknown author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 1:34am
preg,

you do not want garbage in the house. everyone will have the same problem. if you cant go out, then pick the least seen side of your apartment and toss it out the window. if thshtf you will be surprised at what people will do. you take care of yourself.
Sassy View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:09pm
trash
separate and wash, little bleach and water will clean your cans and jars, bleach solution can be used several times. What SMELLS in trash is food waste! I learned waste not want not! Find a DOG to feed left overs if need be.
If you have or will be having an infant or older person in diapers. GET use to cloth. Rinse in a 5 gal bucket and reuse the rinse water, keep a lid on it.
Shesh what the hell do you think your ancestors did B4 trash pick up?????
Sassy View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:12pm
Tigger I wished I knew were you LIVED just to toss so I could tell everyone , OH well its me and mine and heres my ****ty smelly trash!!! Try it and lets see what happens. If you would do that to me I would meet you with my 44
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 11:03am
sassy ... I think you could follow the trail back to the east coast ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic