Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Storing M&Ms Long-term

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storing M&Ms Long-term
    Posted: June 27 2006 at 1:05am
This just in from a like-minded buddy of mine.

M&Ms in a pint jar.  Heat lids in 200F oven for about 30 minutes.  75cc O2 absorber.  Jar opened that was packaged in 1998.  All is well.  (That's about 8 years.)

Great news for us chocoholics!!!ClapThumbs Up

nawty

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 6:23am
Thanks NB my little one loves her M&M's  she has her moms choc. tooth ! I will do this ASAP.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 9:13am
mmmm sounds good great idea.....Clap
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by NawtyBits NawtyBits wrote:

M&Ms Jar opened that was packaged in 1998

What a self control!

Thanks for the info Nawty, I'm going to do this too, but doubt it'll ever be 8 years to have it stored (more like 8 months.. 8 days?)

Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:48pm
Nawty,  I haven't asked what a O2 absorber is before, but now we are talking M&Ms and I've got to know!   I'm guessing it is an oxygen absorber.  I'm picturing one of those little, do not eat this packets that come in new shoes.  Really what is it and where does one get it and how does one use it?  Thanks, hon.

Clap
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Gexydaf Gexydaf wrote:

Really what is it and where does one get it and how does one use it? 

Here is a primer on OAs: waltonfeed.com/selBLEEPpack/oxyintro.html .

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Pegasus View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 7:40pm

Nawty,  I'm with Grace - in fact I know that M&M's would NEVER last 8 years in my house.  Already ate my "emergency stash" 3 lb bags twice!   But I am curious about the O2 absorbers (maybe if there is a little more effort required to raid the stash, I'll leave the jar(s) alone?) and what type of jars/lids you are using.  Canning jars or just regular jars like leftover jelly or spaghetti sauce type jars?  Chocolate is an important food group in my house so I NEED a way to to preserve it.  I don't look forward to drinking Hershey's syrup straight from the bottle - but I am prepared to do so if necessary!  Smile

"We do not know the true value of moments until they have undergone the test of memory."   unknown author
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:37am
Thanks, 2ifbyC

Canning jars.  New lids. 

As much as I love M&Ms, my newest is those hershey Kissables.  They are essentially the "Hersheyetts" of x-mas candy cane fame, shaped like a small hershey's kiss.  wow.  Same storage technique would work.

I can't keep chocolate around long enough to store. 

nawty
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:52pm
Mmmmm ... yum, now I know what to do with all those bags of M&Ms!!  I'm wondering if sealing up cocoa powder (unsweetened chocolate) in jars would be okay as well??
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:44pm
It should be against the law to keep chocolate for 8 YEARS!LOLLOL
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by raptureready raptureready wrote:

It should be against the law to keep chocolate for 8 YEARS!LOLLOL

Even if it was, no one in my household would ever be convicted.  LOL

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 1:33pm
Chocolate might be the #1 item on the last minute list!
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Femvet Femvet wrote:

And probably the first thing you run out of....

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 11:27am
Originally posted by NawtyBits NawtyBits wrote:

Originally posted by Femvet Femvet wrote:

And probably the first thing you run out of....

The first thing to store (a lot of), the first thing on the last minute list, and the first thing to run out of....

I wouldn't mind living with one of those convicts..    
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:53am
Nawty, great idea!

I am vacuum packing all kinds of candies with a Tilla Food saver and a canning jar adapter
heat lids for about 5 minutes fill jars with candy, vacuum out air and in a few minutes you have extended the shelf life by about five years. Almost all my dry good are vacuum paced this way, Rice in half gallon canning jars, each half gallon jar hold three lbs of rice. Last forever.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Fastcard Fastcard wrote:

Nawty, great idea!

I am vacuum packing all kinds of candies with a Tilla Food saver and a canning jar adapter
heat lids for about 5 minutes fill jars with candy, vacuum out air and in a few minutes you have extended the shelf life by about five years. Almost all my dry good are vacuum paced this way, Rice in half gallon canning jars, each half gallon jar hold three lbs of rice. Last forever.

Where do you find half gallon canning jars?
Pfwag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfwag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 7:31pm
As a chocolate lover I was a bit bummed out when I found that chocolate increases one's cytoclonic (sp?) response.  Keep that in mind.  I have the links around somewhere if anybody is interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic