Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

BARE BONES PREPPING - FOR $20/WEEK.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BARE BONES PREPPING - FOR $20/WEEK.
    Posted: July 01 2006 at 6:34pm
Hi All,

With money tight and many a "DH" suspicious, I thought to start a thread about "Bare Bones Prepping".  The premise is that you can prep - a little at a time - for around $20 / week, in such a way that will not make a "DH" go thru the roof.

I would ask as you post, that you list brands and actual prices along with the stores you saw them at.  Obviously this list is just a starter set.  You would want to go back and add on over time.  Also I did not include items I did not have prices for (like a loaf of velvetta or a large canister of oatmeal.) 

So here are my first suggestions:

Week One for $20.10

Rice  3lb/ $1 (dollar general) = 24 servings at 4¢ each

Beans 2lb / $1.25 (dollar general) Northern White Beans = 25 servings at 5¢ each

Tomato Sauces  4 / $1 (walmart) = 12 servings at 8¢ each

Powdered Milk $ 7.69   / makes 22 quarts (Sam’s Club) = 88 cups at 9¢ each

Eggs (freeze them)  18/ 89 ¢ (supermarket) = 12 servings at 5¢ each 

Flour  5 lbs / $1 (Albertson’s) = 20 cups of flour at 5¢ each

Sugar 5 lbs / $2.39 = 10 cups of sugar at 24 ¢ each

Canned Meat – Treet  1 / $1 (dollar general) = 6 servings at 17¢ each

Tuna 6 oz canned 2 / $1 (walmart) = 6 servings at 17¢ each

Spaghetti  6 lbs / $2.88 (Sam’s Club) = 48 servings at 6¢ each

Week Two for $19.29

Canned Ham – 1 lb / $2 (dollar general) = 8 servings at 25¢ each

Mashed Potatoes 1 / $1 (dollar general) 17 servings at 6¢ each

Green Beans 15 oz cans at 2 /$1 (walmart) = 6 servings at 17¢ each

Yeast 3 packets / $1 (walmart) = 12 loaves of bread (using H. Housewife’s receipe)

Mac and Cheese (Land o Lakes) 12 boxes for 6.41 (Sam’s) = 36 servings at 18¢ each

Ramen Noodles 48 pack for $4.88 (Sam’s) = 48 servings at 10¢ each

Spices 4 / $2 (dollar general) garlic, onion, cinnamon, Italian seasonings

Soup 2 / $1 (dollar general) = 4 servings at 25¢ each

Week Three at $17.30

Penne Pasta 6lb/ $3.12 (Sams Club) = 48 servings at 7¢ each

Peanut Butter Jif (safeway) 18 oz jar for $2 = 14 servings at 14¢ each

Grape Jelly 18 oz jar Albertson’s brand (Albertsons) $1 = 25  servings at 4¢ each

Scott toilet paper 1000 sheet roll//4 pack=$ 3.18 (Walmart)  est 6 sheet ea = 667 pulls tp

Oatmeal Instant 10 envelopes for $2 (generic brand Walmart) = 10 servings for 20¢ each

Canned Carrots great value brand 15 oz (Walmart) 4/$2 = 12 servings for 17¢ each

Canned Corn great value brand 15 oz (Walmart) 4/$2 = 12 servings for 17¢ each

Canned Spinach great value brand 15 oz (Walmart) 4/$2 = 12 servings for 17¢ each

These are “normal” prices but Walmart prices fluctuate wildly. They are lowered to match competitor’s sales and then are raised when the sale ends.  (The Stock Exchange can’t match their swings!)  Check sales fliers and purchase as much as you can when they are on sale to take advantage of the better pricing. 

Sam’s Club is by membership only – if you don’t have one ask around.  Someone you know is bound to have a membership.  If not, call the local  Sams Club and ask if you can get a shopping pass (to come in but pay 10% more at the register for all items.)

Alternately, since one membership gives you two cards (one for you and one for family)  consider splitting the membership fee with a family member and you each get a card.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 7:29pm

Good idea.    Smile

starfire View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 8:30pm
Walmart will match the low price another store has an item on sale.Just tell them so and so has this item for $1. they match it.Our store post all competitors adds out in the entrance.
macrimmons View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macrimmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 6:29pm
Great ideas! Tell me about freezing eggs -- how do you prepare them?

Thanks again,

Mac
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 8:42pm
Hi,

This is how I freeze eggs:  Break eggs into a bowl and mix them with a fork.  Spray ice cube tray with pam.  Pour eggs into tray, cover with plastic wrap and put in the freezer.  After about an hour take the tray out and pop out the egg ice cubes.   I like to vac. pack the ice cubes, date them and put them back in the freezer. 

Another user suggested just breaking an egg into a sandwich bag and suck out the air and freeze them.  I tried that today and six hours later they were still not completely frozen -- so that one did not work well.

K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 6:29am
We buy almost all of our groceries from Walmart, and get their Great Value brand whenever possible.  I used to buy all brand name stuff, but the GV store brand is as good as ... or better than ... the more expensive stuff! Wink

The only thing we weren't pleased with was their loaf bread.  It had a weird texture to it or something.  But their hot dog and hamburger buns are great, and they're just $1 a pack.

Even their canned chili is good, and I'm extremely picky about my chili. LOL

Hydrangea View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 7:50am
I haven't been to Walmart for a couple of months so the price may have changed, but I discovered that some of "The Allens" brand canned veggies cost even less than Great Value.  During April and May canned corn and green beans were 38 cents a can.

Also, Scott TP frequently goes on sale at stores other than WalMart. It's the brand I've used for years and I always buy it when the cost averages around 50 cents per roll. Usually this means buying a 12 roll pack. At this point there's enough TP here to last a year. Smile
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 1:38pm
Slightly off topic, but what they hey. Speaking of toilet paper "pulls". How about some guesses as to how much toilet paper (being careful) would various groups of people use in a week (assuming theyle are not sick). Let's say they are the regular, double ply rolls, not the bigger rolls. Here are my wild guesses. Any other people want to take the plunge? (so to speak). We've all been wanting to know this, right?

Gotta have something to go on (I just couldn't help myself) Do I need a separate thread for this?

Per Week:
Man: 2 rolls
Boy/Teenage boy: 2
Girl: 3
Woman (PostM): 3
Woman (PreM)/Teenage girl: 4

Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 2:50pm
Dollar General:
corn & green beans 1.00/3 cans
soups: chicken noodle, cream of mushroom, tomato, veg. beef 1.00/2
generic meds: like benadryl, cough syrup 1.50 each

Family Dollar:
Toilet paper-generic 6 rolls 1.00
paper towels-generic 3 rolls 1.00
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 5:51pm
Hi Again,

Here is the next installment:

Week Four at $21.29

Jello 3/$1 (Walgreens) 12 servings at 8¢ each

Xtra Laundry detergent 128 oz / $2.50 (K-mart) = 33 loads for 8¢ each

Scott Toilet Paper 18 rolls for $10 (K-mart sale) = enough for months!!!!

Raisins 20 oz canister $1.99 (Walgreens) = 14 servings at 14¢ each

Folgers coffee 13 oz $2.50 (Walgreens) = 56 cups at 5¢ each

Based on tblsp = ½ oz = 2 cups

Safeguard soap 10 bars for $3.30 (K Mart) bar 33¢ each

be sure to open the packaging and expose the bars to air so they can harden

– will double the usefulness of the soap.

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 9:16pm
Kr105 -  what an excellent thread.

I have seen messages from distressed people wondering how they can ever prep in their financial state.  I have also seen messages from those new to prepping who don't know where to start - this will give them a good idea.

I began by buying 2 and 3 items when I only needed one.  This got me on the path of stocking up on the thing we like.  Then feeling rushed and behind, I started grabbing sale items if I knew I would use them. 

At last I got two sets of shelves up and sorted everything in the basement.  Each shelf holds: canned fruits, canned veggies, meats and tuna, soups and whole meals in a can (ie, beans, ravioli, chicken and dumplings...) and one for things used to create meals or side dishes (chedder cheese soup, cream of mushroom, minute rice). This gave me a good feel for where I stand and where I am going next.

A note on the coffee - if there is a pandemic you must expect some long term power outages. We use an electric coffee pot. So in addition I would buy a big jar of instant coffee (I read somewhere here that one woman bought an old fashioned perculator that she could use on a fire). 

Also I don't mind tea, and love iced tea, so am storing some tea bags.  You might include instant lemon aide to add to the iced tea in the summer, lemons may or may not be available, but if you have water, you can always make sun tea, then stir in some lemon powder.

To ROCKY: 
I drove myself nuts with that one. Instead I bought a 12 pack of TP and put it in the bathroom and watched how long it lasted. Calaculate it for how many months you are stocking up for.  Then keep adding more as you can to allow for illnesses, the changes in your diet, etc. 

TO THE BUDGET MINDED IN GENERAL: since this is a budget minded thread... Use the search option to look for Bounty Paper Towels. There are a few places on this forum where people showed you how to make moist wipes for pennies and (if we are without water) only 1 cup of water; it uses baby shampoo and baby oil so it might be worth making now for mothers reading this.

I make a budget strognoff that is surprisingly tasty. the ratio is 1lb of hamburger, 1 can of cream of mushroom, brown the meat, drain, and stir in the soup (do not add water) - serve this over flat noodles. I don't even like mushrooms, but love this dish.

Hope these thoughts help. 

Again Kr105 - a great thread, thanks

Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 1:08pm
I have been watching the T P issue also.  I have found that  kleenex type tissues may be a better way to go. Dispenses one at a time. I have been buying off brands on sale and think this may be cheaper than toilet paper.  We generally buy the 1000 per roll scott tissue for savings, but the kids use (or play with) too much.  I'm not sure about septic  tank though.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 1:12pm
Ya know, the one place where we're not being cheap is on TP...Cottonelle for us...

I've used the really cheap stuff before...and i can tell you, it feels like sand-paper and it don't take sh#t off anyone! Wacko
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 1:18pm
FictionWriter,

It may be rough, but not as rough as the local directory will be....LOL   That will be the absolute  end of the line backup we will have.........Bummer
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 1:38pm
I don't know the exact facts, but I do know that kleenex does not break down as well as TP - septic tank will be an issue!  And don't forget to buy some yeast for the septic tank...
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 2:00pm
Telephone Directories as a source of TP...ok, but what about all that ink? :)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 3:21pm

Desperate times call for desperate measures.......or something like that...or maybe it's,  a little ink never hurt anybody  ......Embarrassed
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:21pm
You can almost see the differences in generations in this conversation.  We have heard from the charmin generation, cheap brand, the "sears catalog" (newspaper) - We have yet to hear from the outhouse generation (whose grandparents had a corn cob hanging in the outhouse?)  LOL
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:39pm

Oh no!!!!!  We are now reduced to bathroom humor! Smile    Sometimes you just have to laugh....
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 5:19pm

Right Mary, I almost didn't leave that message, but it did feel good to laugh at our worries...

Honeybee
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 6:13pm
A couple more Dollar General buys (I was there today): they have canned carrots for .40 a can, that's the cheapest I've seen them anywhere. They also have cans of mixed vegetables for the same price. Cookies for 1.00 a package, generic soda .50 2-liter, cheddar cheese in a plastic container and nacho cheese in a plastic container for 1.00 each.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Mary R Mary R wrote:

FictionWriter,

It may be rough, but not as rough as the local directory will be....LOL   That will be the absolute  end of the line backup we will have.........Bummer

Ok, it's time to show my age now.  Does Monkey Wards still publish a catalog or did it go the way of the sears? 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by kr105 kr105 wrote:

Originally posted by Mary R Mary R wrote:

FictionWriter,It may be rough, but not as rough as the local directory will be....[IMG]alt=LOL src="smileys/smiley36.gif" align=middle>   That will be the absolute  end of the line backup we will have.........Bummer

Ok, it's time to show my age now.  Does Monkey Wards still publish a catalog or did it go the way of the sears? 

I'm not sure but Wards went out of business many years ago (at least around here).

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by FictionWriter FictionWriter wrote:

Ya know, the one place where we're not being cheap is on TP...Cottonelle for us...

I've used the really cheap stuff before...and i can tell you, it feels like sand-paper and it don't take sh#t off anyone! [IMG]height=17 alt=Wacko src="http://www.avianflutalk.com/smileys/smiley29.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Sounds like my ex wife.........

ImmuneConcerned View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 8:29pm

& if you run out of man-made stuff . . .  consider leaves?  (non-poisonous of course).  Creature comforts seem to become more important with age.  However, the goal of self-sufficiency seems more and more important too --therefore, if necessary, leaves.

When I wasn't sure how DH would respond to actual prepping, I waited for a sale on something cheep & nutrious he ate all the time, it happened to be tuna.  When I finally saw a good sale (think it was Pick N Save 59 cents/can - not as good as the previously mentioned Wall Mart's 2/$1.00)  & came home with a case of it, DH seemed happily suprised.  I've worked up from there.  Think saltiens was the next sales item I bought in bulk.  

ImmuneConcerned
TxCowboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 7:22am
Honeybee - regarding making coffee if the electricity is out....I have used a French press before.  You just pour boiling water over the coffee and press down.  You would have to prep beforehand by having your coffee ground specifically for a French press though.
ToniD.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 8:40am
ohhh Toni -
that sound good.  You make me think of the days I was "into" coffee!  I used to buy Jamacian Blue Mountain on holidays to drink! mmmm

I thought of the instant for when we hit bottom, no electrcity, no gas, so down to the coals in the hibachi!

We have a generator, so even without electrcity DH says it will run the pellet stove and a little bit more electricity for something else. I figure I will make a potfull and freeze the rest outside in the winter).

Budget thought - I read on another thread that our pellet stove can still be used by hooking up a car battery to the fan system - the person said it will run up to 18 hours depending on how new the battery is.

To those in the know, wouldn't it be wiser for me to just buy extra car batteries on sale instead of getting wrapped up in buying and creating alternate heating methods? (Due to half price sale, we always buy 3 tons of pellets in July so the only issue would be running the pellet stove without power.)

Keep up the good work KR - like a soap opera, I now tune in to see what bargains you found this week!
Honeybee
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 8:50am
Not a store bought item - but bought two kerosene lanterns at an estate sale. One is an original Dietz "Little Wizard" - it was $3. The other is a small Red Wheel lamp made in Japan but its older and very good quality-$2. Both are in perfect condition and I ran them last night and they work great. I'm a broken record on this topic, but garage sales, estate sales, and thrift stores have lots of good prep supplies for dirt cheap. I have seen a dozen nearly new pressure cookers that are selling for $5-10. No one wants this stuff in our modern, fast food, culture and so these items sell for pennies on the dollar.       
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:12am
You got that right Never2late

I was in Salvation Army the other day and saw a case of quart Ball jars, all good.  They were $1.79...talk about a bargain!  I have no idea now they set their prices  lol.

If you are trying to buy shelves, or build them, why bother?  Salvation army is loaded with bookcases, stero cabinets, computer desks, etc.  They have so many that they are cheaper than the supplies would cost you. Just line the basement walls with these to "make your store".

Honeybee
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 10:55pm
Never2Late,

I've been thinking about a pressure cooker, but I thought the old ones were know for blowing up.  Maybe it would be better to get a new one.  Though I do like to save money at a garage sale!
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 11:13pm
I have been considering purchasing one also.  I see a lot of people say don't get one from a garage sale, always buy new, and have guage checked each year.

I also noted on a site that people like me (electric stoves) can encounter problems, or at least headaches.  They said this is because you cannot regulate the heat as quickly as with gas stoves.  You may be lifting it on and off your burner a lot.

I have found electric ones online, and am thinking that is the way I would go. They don't seem to be any more expensive than the others.

This is one item I would feel better if it was new with a warranty.  I worry I am too new at this to try to adjust to an old machine.
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 3:56am
Next installment -- week five!

Week Five – start to stock  $20.22

(2) Rice  3lb/ $1 = $2 (dollar general) = 48 servings at 4¢ each + prev. buy = 72 servings

(2) Beans 2lb / $1.25 = $2.50 (dollar general) N. White Beans = 50 servings at 5¢ each + prev. = 75 servings

(8) Tomato Sauces  4 / $1 = $2 (walmart) = 24 servings at 8¢ each + prev = 36 servings

(10) Tuna 6 oz canned 2 / $1 = $5 (walmart) = 30 servings at 17¢ each + prev = 36 servings

(2) Canned Salmon $1.36 = $2.72 (walmart) = 14 servings at  19¢ each

(4) Green Beans 15 oz cans at 2 /$1 = $2 (walmart) = 12 servings at 17¢ each + prev = 18 servings

(4) Corn 15 oz cans at 2 /$1 =$2 (walmart) = 12 servings at 17¢ each

(6) Spaghetti Sauce Mix 3/$1 = $2 (dollar general) = 30 servings at 6¢ each

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 7:03am

Thank you kr105 for these lists.  They are very well thought out and reasonable.  I am copying them for those who want to know where to start and these items will be very  easy to come by.  Your efforts are appreciated
Mary
petbirdfamily View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petbirdfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 8:59pm
Several non-food items to consider: a manual hand-held can opener, large wooden or plastic fold-out racks for drying clothes, wind-up clocks, camping lanterns that run on batteries, bedside commode, risers to put under feet of bed and couch to make more storage room. Unlike food, these items you would only have to purchase one time. Also found great Rubbermaid and Tupperware food storage containers at the local GoodWill thrift store for a fraction of what they cost new. We try to turn prepping into a game to see how much money we can save via garage sales and thrift shops. Budget prepping CAN be done - we're doing it! And we appreciate all of your ideas!
Any frontal attack on ignorance is bound to fail because the masses are always ready to defend their most precious possession.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 6:42am
Honeybee
Everglade Alley View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Everglade Alley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 12:35pm
Wink I found a janitoral store and have bought  tp by the case. When you divide the cost it really is cost efficient. One case holds 84 rolls. It may not be as soft as Charmin but there may come a time when walking like John Wayne isn't soooo bad!
Think simply but smartly-use your head
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 7:45pm
everglade, thanks for the laugh, I needed it, roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 7:41am
I would suggest Aldi for cheap food.  Vegetables are less than 40cents.  As far as the TP/Kleenex issue.  Why not schedule having the septic pumped NOW so that does not become such an issue.  I believe that it should be pumped every couple of years anyway and who wants to deal with a septic problem if we are dealing with AF.
cathypeanut View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathypeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 9:36am

Here is a phamplet I made up

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY ON LESS THAN $2.00 A DAY

LOOK WHAT $10.00 A WEEK CAN BUY!

7 - Cans of Campbell Select Soup = $9.80

8 - Cans of Fruit = $9.52

6 - Cans of Tuna = $9.54

3 - 8 packs of Juice boxes = $8.97

2 – 5 Lb. bags of Rice – $9.98

14 -Cans of Spaghetti O's = $9.66

10 - Gallons of water = $10.00

Emergencies can happen at any time, and they often require families to look after their own needs for several days, if not weeks. When an emergency strikes, it is too late to begin to plan how you and your family will cope with it, or to assemble the things you will need to survive. If help takes hours, or even days to arrive, would your family be prepared to cope? By taking time now to store emergency food and water supplies, you can provide for your entire family.

Food

Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and little or no water. Select food items that are compact and lightweight. Most importantly, select foods that you and your family like.

Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, and vegetables

Canned juices, milk, soup

Canned meals, such as spaghetti-o’s

High energy foods, such as peanut butter, jelly, crackers, granola bars, and trail mix

Special food for infants, elderly persons,

or persons on special diets

Comfort food, such as cookies, candy, etc.

Water

Store (1) one gallon of water per person (or pet) per day.

Store water in plastic containers, such as soft drink bottles. Avoid using containers

that may break, such as glass bottles.

First Aid Kit

Assemble a first aid kit for your home and one for each car.

Sterile adhesive bandages in assorted sizes

2-inch sterile gauze pads

4-inch sterile gauze pads

Hypoallergenic adhesive tape

Triangular bandages

2-inch sterile roller bandages

3-inch sterile roller bandages

Scissors

Tweezers

Needle

Moistened towelettes

Antiseptic

Thermometer

Tongue depressors

Petroleum jelly or other lubricant

Assorted sizes of safety pins

Cleansing agent/soap

Latex gloves

Non-Prescription Drugs

Aspirin or non-aspirin pain reliever

Anti-diarrhea medication

Antacid (for stomach upset)

Pedialyte for dehydration

Prescription medications

Tools and Supplies

Eating utensils, cups, and plates

Solar, manual or battery operated radio and extra batteries

Flashlight and extra batteries

Non-electric can opener

Whistle

Wrench (to turn off gas and water)

Crowbar

Soap or antibacterial gel

Toilet paper

Feminine supplies

Personal hygiene supplies like toothpaste

Plastic garbage bags

Chlorine bleach

Cash (Small bills and coins because if the electricity goes out you will not be able to use ATMs or credit cards)

Pet Supplies

Food

Water

Medications

Leash

Tags

Litter supplies

Vaccination information

Clothing and Bedding

Blankets or sleeping bags

Include at least one complete change of clothing and a sturdy pair of shoes

Special Items

Formula

Diapers

Bottles

Contact lenses and supplies

Extra eye glasses

Entertainment—games, books

Buy food that is you normally eat and remember to rotate your items and check expiration dates.

Preparing for an emergency before it strikes is your surest path to survival. Pandemic waves can last 6 to 8 weeks. Food and medicine deliveries could be delayed or canceled.

HOW TO COOK IF THE POWER GOES OUT:

For emergency cooking you can use a fireplace, or a charcoal grill or camp stove - outdoor use only

Food can be heated with candle warmers, chafing dishes, or even fondue pots canned food does not require to be cooked

EMERGENCY OUTDOOR WATER SOURCES

If you need to find water outside your home, you can use these sources: Rainwater, streams, rivers, ponds, lakes and natural springs. Be sure to treat the water first. Avoid water with floating material, an odor, or dark color.

Boiling is the safest method of treating water. In a large pot or kettle, bring water to a rolling boil for 1 full minute, keeping in mind that some water will evaporate. Let the water cool before drinking. Boiled water will taste better if you put oxygen back into it by pouring the water back and forth between two clean containers. This will also improve the taste of stored water.

You can use household liquid bleach to kill microorganisms. Use only regular household liquid bleach that contains 5.25 to 6.0 percent sodium hypochlorite. Do not use scented bleaches, color safe bleaches, or bleaches with added cleaners. Because the potency of bleach diminishes with time, use bleach from a newly opened or unopened bottle
I used to have more posts :-(
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 2:42pm
Dear CathyPeanut-
Thanks for sharing the info. in your pamphlet!  It's great...very informational...and I think would feel very "do-able" for most folks.  Sincerely, JD
Dlugose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlugose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by TxCowboy TxCowboy wrote:

Honeybee - regarding making coffee if the electricity is out....I have used a French press before.  You just pour boiling water over the coffee and press down.  You would have to prep beforehand by having your coffee ground specifically for a French press though.
Any store with a wide selection of coffee makers will have something like a French press or plunger.  You can use drip grind, at least with plungers I was familiar with in NZ.  In a bind, you could set up any paper coffee filter in something to hold it over a cup and use any grind.  If you were short on coffee, the finer grinds would last longer.
Dlugose RN AAS BA BS Cert. Biotechnology. Respiratory nurse
June 2013: public health nurse volunteer, Asia
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 4:09pm
Another thought. If you had room to store coffee beans, you could grind them each mornign (with a coffee bean hand grinder), then use a French Press. This is the was DH much prefers, so I awake to the lovely sound of beans being freshly ground. Rocky

Originally posted by Dlugose Dlugose wrote:

Originally posted by TxCowboy TxCowboy wrote:

Any store with a wide selection of coffee makers will have something like a French press or plunger.  You can use drip grind, at least with plungers I was familiar with in NZ.  In a bind, you could set up any paper coffee filter in something to hold it over a cup and use any grind.  If you were short on coffee, the finer grinds would last longer.

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 6:58pm
Good Thoughts!  I have used a papertowel to filter in a pinch - not perfect, but works.
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by FictionWriter FictionWriter wrote:

Telephone Directories as a source of TP...ok, but what about all that ink? :)
You will then be a smart ass.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 7:43pm
I have given this whole prep thing some thought over the last year or
so.   The real question, to me at least, is how much money to spend
and how long to prep for.   

After some time I came to the following conclusion - last minute maximize.

Thats right,  last minute. 

Now,  I do have a store of canned foods etc,   but I have to consume
them a few months prior to the expiration dates.  I try to buy more
to cycle when I can.    So,   I paid one of my credit cards off completely,
it is a card with a bank I have been using for many years and I have
good credit.    

At some point each of us will realize when THE TIME has come,  or when
the SHTF.      Everyone should make a determination as to when THE TIME
 has come.   By that I mean at some point there is no further doubt.  No
hesitation,   we just KNOW.   I have made that determination.  

So,  when I know,  whether at work or home,  the plan is to jump in
my Jeep,   race to the nearest food store and load up with a special
list I keep in my visor.     Thats right,  then whip that special credit card
out.    I can fit about a thousand dollars worth of food and supplies in
my Jeep.     I will worry about paying it off after.

My point is this -  when it comes down to life or starving to death I would
much rather be alive and healthy and facing a $1,000 debt than starving
and/or dead.

Same with a check.   If you are on a tight budget,  dont worry.  Establish
good credit with your closest grocery store and pay with checks.  Then,
if necessary,  when THE TIME hits,   rush to the store and buy lots of
stuff and pay with a check.    If the check bounces you can worry about
it later.    

Nothing untoward here,  it is a matter of life and death for you and
your family,  and Walmart can handle a few bounced checks.

BUT,   the real point here is knowing when THE TIME is.   Think about it.
At what point do you KNOW and how much time will you have to rush
out for the last moment supply run before the stores are exhausted
of supplies.  Thats where you have to be a day ahead of everyong else.

Think about it .........................       It can mean the difference between
being secure and being sorry.

Does everyone here determined THE TIME ???????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic