Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What’s on your last minute list?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s on your last minute list?
    Posted: August 12 2006 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Annie4 Annie4 wrote:

BLEACH would be my #1 item! Since it has a short shelf life I don't keep a large supply on hand.  However, it may be our lifeline to safe water and disinfecting.  It has so many uses!  An absolute must for water purification, can be used to rinse dishes safely and disinfect sick rooms.

Annie4,
Please know that you can buy shelf stable bleach at a pool supply company, It is calcium hypoclorite, no additives. That is important, because some "shock" pool treatments have algeacides which will kill the liver. Plain calcium hypoclorite (about 65%, the rest inert ingredients) is dry bleach and can be used to sterilize water, make disinfecting solutions, etc. There is a "bleach" thread on the forum which gives exact amounts for water sterilization. This product has to be stored in a dry place, but is basically good for an indefinate time period as long as it is kept dry. I bought 2 lbs and that's good for a lot of water!A few hundred gallons. Also nice, it doesn't take up a lot of space! Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Annie 4, What is the average shelf life of bleach?

I believe it loses its effectiveness by 50% every six months.  Thus, after 6 mos, you need to use twice as much.  After 12 mos, you have to use four times the original amount.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 8:58am
Annie 4, What is the average shelf life of bleach?
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
BobFMB View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 6:44am
Dont forget stamps.  You still want to pay for electric, water, gas, cable and internet, phone  etc. as long as they are delivering services.  It would sure be aggravating trying to get service back on during a pandemic. I suppose most will shut down sooner or later, but I want my utilities on until they do shut down.  I plan on paying bills as long as they keep my services on.  This assumes mailman still delivers.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 10:41pm
Gasoline, propane, cash, milk, meat, and fruit.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 8:05pm
TONS of fresh fruit and veggies......and maybe cereal and milk.
MissNutty View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissNutty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 9:58am
Milk  Milk   Milk
Work hard, laugh much, live long.
Annie4 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:26pm
BLEACH would be my #1 item! Since it has a short shelf life I don't keep a large supply on hand.  However, it may be our lifeline to safe water and disinfecting.  It has so many uses!  An absolute must for water purification, can be used to rinse dishes safely and disinfect sick rooms.

Next on my list would be bread, water, and lots of fresh vegetables and I'd fill up my freezer with whatever I could get my hands on.  A full freezer works better and I don't anticipate losing power right away. 

Also magazines and good reading material.  Gas for the cars and extra in cans too
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 2:06pm
I see a lot of folks listing what some might call luxury items. We are, as i'm sure just about everyone is, prepping on a budget. So i spend a lot of time on the net doing price comparisons.

Here's the best price i have found so far for light sticks. snaplights, cyalume, whatever you want to call them, the work pretty decently, but most of the stores have them too expensive...

Minimum order is 25 sticks for the 6" variety, but they last 10-12 hours, are availe in white and are $.55 each. We bought about 50 of them, and i tested one. Worked great! Provided usable light for 9 hours or so. They have them in 4, 6, and 12", regular and high intensity. Even have infra-red sticks. Shipping is kinda pricey, but, the cost savings is worth it.

As far as last minute items for us, that would be full tanks of gas, oil change, and spare gasoline in tanks.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 1:18pm
We plan on hitting the lumber yard first with the flatbed. Plywood, 2x4's,insulation sheeting, tarps, barbed wire, and a list of smaller stuff.

Drop that at home and pull the enclosed trailer to Wallyworld at about midnight. There are 8 -50 gallon barrels in the trailer. We will fill them with canned goods, medical supplies, more guns and bullets, water, and whatever else we can stuff in the trailer. We've waled the store several times so we an do a man shop fast.
Safety Lady View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safety Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 3:28pm
Here in western WA bottled water is low, eggs, flour, some canned goods, (DH said it was the new computer system????).  We have an artesian well, the deep pump went this weekend, pulled the pump and the water goes all the way up the casing and overflows.  At lease we have water.  Albertsons has a 20/10 sale.  All those items are gone the first day of the sale but you can get a rain check.  That never happened before.  I really panic when I see empty shelves at a major grocery store.  It seems that the minute stuff goes on sale like that it is gone.  Two days ago at Walmart all the alcohol and peroxide was gone.  As well as all the large hand sanitizers.  Toilet paper, paper towels...flour and sugar was just the expensive stuff.  I figured the sugar gone because of preserve time but i really wonder.  I can go weeks and weeks without buying anything but still I panic when I go for milk and there is limited supply of the other stuff.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 11:10am
Originally posted by gghugs gghugs wrote:

ICE CREAM!!!!

I have been looking for the old hand crank ice cream makers but so far have only found electric.  Anyone know where I could get one?

Thanks

candice View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 10:46pm

My last shopping will be to get my electronics  , ipod cd disks  radios  more flaslight ,  batteries with solar chargers .  I hope that by September I will of finished my food shopping.   More solar lights ,   candles. 

If you cant get in the front door try the side door then the back door.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 7:44pm
Cheese (to supplement the canned), Butter (to supplement the canned), shortning, loads of cereals, crackers, cat food, bisquick, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 7:25pm

More Cat litter, chocolate, potato chips, fruit, soda, printer paper and spare gasoline.

I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 5:14pm

We have two non- working trucks sitting on our property...I want to drain the tanks and fill them up for spare gasoline when it seems to be getting close...Will need to go to Sam's and get gas treatment.. 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 12:06pm
My last minute list consists of all things that are NOT a necessity, just in case I can't safely get out to pick them up, they are all items we can do without. Fresh milk, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, extra soda, top off the gas tanks. If I can't get out to get them we have plenty of canned stuff. As far as the gas, I have been trying to not let my gas tank get below 1/2 tank, don't plan on going anywhere when things start to happen, but would feel better with a full tank of gas.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:53pm
My last minute list:  fresh vegetables and breads, platic trash bags, feminine products, chocolate, a full tank of gas, a few more 24 cases of water (family of 7). GATORADE AND GINGERALE.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 8:46pm

Great idea with the coffee cans.  My grandbabies would love that one.  I will also check the ball to make ice cream.

The items in my last minute purchase list are: Lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, mainly the ones that last the longest such as oranges, grapefruit, fresh apples, fresh limes or lemons, fresh potatoes, yams or sweet potatoes. 

Also cheese and eggs and probably more toilette paper and water.  I do not know why, but I keep adding TP and water every time I go to the grocery store, and I also have them listed in my "last minute" list. 

This has nothing to do with last minute purchases, and I do not know why, but I just remember this idea that I read somewhere - maybe in this forum or maybe in connection with Hurricane Katrina:  If you have the space, keep several small bottles of water in your freezer.  In case the electric power goes off, the bottles keep whatever is in your freezer edible for a longer period of time.  The bottles can also be used in a cooler to keep foods from spoiling if you need to go somewhere in a hurry.  Nothing is wasted, your food items are not "swimming" in water (as usually happens with melted ice in coolers) and at the end you just drink the water.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 7:09pm
Starfire -

That's why I LOVE this forum - ice cream from coffee cans - I'm all set now

Thanks
TxCowboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:59pm
Since I've stocked up on canned goods and nonperishables, if TSHTF I would go to the store and really load my cart down on fresh veggies and fruit since most people panicking will be hitting the canned food aisles.  If there is anymore tpaper left I will grab some of that as well.  After gassing up the tank the liquor store will be the last stop.
ToniD.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:46pm

Kr105

sounds like a wonderful way to take out some frustration and get ice cream at the same time.  Will check it out.  Doesn't your 'compressor' one need electricity?

Yeah, it does -- but that's why God made generators!!!  There are certain creature comforts we should not have to be without.
starfire View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:17pm
You can make ice cream by taking 2 coffee cans one small and one larger but ingredients in small place in larger add ice to larger can ,small amount of salt and roll around(may have to drain water off and add more ice and salt).My mom use to let my kids do they had lots of fun.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:01pm
New tires?  I guess I wouldn't be going anywhere as I plan to bug in, but mine are getting to the point I should replace them by the end of the year.  If I had to go someplace else I would not want to deal with bad tires on top of everything else.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 2:32pm
Kr105

sounds like a wonderful way to take out some frustration and get ice cream at the same time.  Will check it out.  Doesn't your 'compressor' one need electricity?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 2:27pm

ICE CREAM!!!!

I have been looking for the old hand crank ice cream makers but so far have only found electric.  Anyone know where I could get one?

Thanks

Hi GG,

Walmart sells a plastic ball that you put all the ingredients in, then the ice and salt.  Seal it and kick it around the room a few times.  You've got ice cream! 

I splurged and bought a fancy one that has a compressor (so no pre-freezing!)  Just got it out of the box and I plan on testing it this weekend.

K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 2:19pm
ICE CREAM!!!!

Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 2:17pm
Hi,

Something I read on another post (Choc. should be #1 on the last minute list by Femvet) triggered me to start this.

So far on my list is the perishables:

milk
1/2 & 1/2
velvetta (short shelf life)
hormel no-cook bacon (short shelf life)
gas for car and gas can fill ups. 
chocolate (newly added)

What's on your list?  Everyone has such great ideas, I'm sure I could add several more items that I've probably forgotten.

Thanks,
K.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic