Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

storing beer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks6555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: storing beer
    Posted: July 11 2006 at 11:54am
i am running out of room as I horde cases of Bud Light. I was thinking about getting kegs but I was afraid the taps might break.

anyone have concerns prepping alcohol or cigarettes or anything like that?

-mark
When the going gets weird, the weird turns pro. -HST
gretchen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 2:46pm
I admit I have wondered about the same thing.  Since my income is limited, I am going to concentrate on food and water.  However, I will miss the beer and cigs should a pandemic occur.
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 3:57pm
I store in glass bottles, that I try to find in the liquor store that are on display outside the coolers.  It is m y understanding that frequent temp changes are bad for beer (and light), and it is better to keep beer at a stable temp, then chill, warm, chill, warm.

JMHO,
nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 4:01pm
The shelf-life for beer is not that long (maybe one year). Please rotate frequently!  Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 4:28pm
LOL You guys are too much.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 4:57pm
When TSHTF even those dedicated tee totallers are going to want an occ glass of wine.  There are several bottle's I plan to purchase to add to sauces (like beer, wine and some liqueurs) that will give common dishes a bit of punch.

I'm sure that some nights, I'm just going to want "a cold one" when I get back from work so Molson's Gold is on the consumable list too.

Since this is the southwest and temps are over 100' every day, I'm hoping to wait until the fall to stock up.   
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 7:48am
Have any of you made home wine? I was reading on line about wine making...seems easy. The sites were selling wine making kits, so sure they will say its easy.Its best to ask some one who has made wine first.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 8:27am
We once had a nice supply of beer as well. 

Then...summer came and decided to take Joe's advice to go out on the boat....EVERY weekendClap (gotta enjoy while we can, right?) 

Have been dipping into my 'prep's' rather frequently, in an effort, you know, to rotate themWink

Not too worried about having it around anymore as warm beer is rather nastyDead
Mt. Man in FL View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mt. Man in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:11pm
Regarding homemade wine...there are a number of different routes you can take on this.  The easiest is to visit your local homebrew store.  Almost all large cities have them, even the smaller cities do depending on where you live.  You can buy cans or bags of juice concentrate - made from the various varietal grapes (cabernet, merlot, chardonnay, etc.)  It is relatively easy to do, but requires a closeable "food-grade" 5 gallon bucket or glass carbouy (simliar to the water cooler jug), and an air-lock (to keep out the contaminated outside air-while still allowing the gases to escape as it ferments).  The brewing kits are easily available with a "how-to" book included...usually for around $50 or so.  the raw material to ferment (concentrated, unpasturized grape juice or malted barley extract) can cost anywhere from $25 for a cheap batch of beer to $100 for a decent quality homemade wine.  Both batches make about 5 gallons of product (two cases of beer or 2 cases of wine).  The quality can be very mediocre for the wine, but you can brew great beer if you have an interest in getting good at it.  When fermenting...cleanliness is next to Godliness.  Look on-line for mail-order companies who sell brewing supplies.  They'll deliver right to your door.  As a wise old man used to tell me "it's easy..., when you know how to do it!"

A wonderful drink, called "mead" is also possible by using honey.  8-10 pounds of honey + water + yeast + a little love and time = 8% alcohol by volume sweet nector of the gods. 

There was a great book out there called The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible that had rudimentary beer and wine recipes, not to mention instructions on how to build a still (illegal in the US, mind you).  Just thought I might share some simple information with all of you!

Happy fermenting!
It is far greater to dare mighty things than to take ranks with the poor and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. ~ paraphrased quote by Teddy Roosevelt
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 6:56am
Mt. Man thanks for the information.I will have to read up on Mead.Have you made Mead?
Mt. Man in FL View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mt. Man in FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 10:15am
Hello AuntBones...I have not personally made mead, but my father-in-law has many times.  I am more of a wine/beer guy...it's a little too sweet for me. He used Tupelo honey, and it turned out wonderful.  It is storied that it is the oldest form of fermented beverage, and also can be infused with herbs and/or fruits to give the flavor even more character.
It is far greater to dare mighty things than to take ranks with the poor and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. ~ paraphrased quote by Teddy Roosevelt
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:31pm
Is mead a type of beer? I have stored 60 lbs of honey, and would like the complete instructions if you have them. My husband is a type 2 diabetic and if he eats a high carb meal, drinking a beer (or any alcoholic beverage) will help to lower his blood sugar. I am looking to keep this in the house as I have not been able to afford to prep his diabetes meds. Jo
dundeels01 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundeels01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:33pm
Not that I am a total alcoholic or anything, but I've got a kegerator in my house that I use to entertain when I throw parties.  Also its nice to have cold(34 degree), delicious, smooth, perfectly carbonated draft beer available 7 days a week.  A keg of bud light will stay fresh for about 30 days in my kegerator.  The problem with keg beer for long term storage, is that it is not pasteurized.  So, if it gets warm, it goes bad very very rapidly.  That's one of the reasons why when you pick up a keg its cold, also it takes awhile to chill a metal barrel containing 15.5 gallons of liquid.  Beer in cans or bottles is pasteurized, so storage temp is not that much of an issue(within reason-i.e.,don't store it in the attic).  My advice would be just purchase many many cases of canned beer.  Good luck, and cheers!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 7:15pm
I'm going to assume that we have a while before all hell breaks loose, and I'm going to take a case of Beer and put it out in the garage for a couple of months. I suspect it probably wont be fit to drink, but we'll see what happens!   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 7:19pm
twowoolf'
you'd do better to throw it under your bed if your house is airconditioned. It will hold better, just like the rest of your preps. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 5:47am
Originally posted by jo007athome jo007athome wrote:

twowoolf'
you'd do better to throw it under your bed if your house is airconditioned. It will hold better, just like the rest of your preps. Jo

I cant. Its full of Food!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:09pm
LOLLOLLOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 7:36pm
I think a lot of Germans drink beer at room temp. They say it is better for you that way. This is not scientific of course. LOL  It is the opinion of all German grandparents. A lot of Germans do drink it room temp though. I agree it is not good to make anything hot and then cold and back and forth. I would think if you had a cool place with a constant temp to store it, even bury some in a cooler, it would be fine. Lets face it, if it is all we have it will be Great.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:01am
Fun thread,
Mead it is the nectar of the Gods - wonderful stuff and very easy to make but good stuff needs a year or more to ferment.  Be careful with it If you like to have more than a couple drinks, get buzzed on mead and you will get a ferocious headache the next day.   "Cactus"  Pear (wouldn't let me post ****ley pear) or bluberry meads are the best.  Beer is just as easy and so cheap to make if you do it from scratch.  I once made a beer with racing pigeon feed (they feed them malted barley) from a feed store and it was half the price of brew store barley.  I grew my own hops which is like a weed, too easy to grow and will take over your yard in a couple of years.  The yeast can last forever if you continue to propogate it batch to batch.  Total cost $.07 per bottle including bottle caps and I won ribbons at brew festivals for it.   Fun stuff.  Fresh healthy beer in 3 weeks.  (mucho B Vitamins with no hangover).  The higher octane brews can last for years and in fact get better with age if properly stored.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 3:14am
I just picked up 10 cases of beer and am storing in with my regular preps. I keep the house at 78 degrees (the electric bill is terrible) and I hope this will keep beer as well as preps good to go. Husband is responsible for beer rotation, so if it goes nasty it's his delema! LOL.  Jo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic