Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Reported: 162 new suspected cases in Iraq

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reported: 162 new suspected cases in Iraq
    Posted: February 02 2006 at 3:56am
If true, an important development. . .

New bird flu cases in Kurdish Iraq

Al-Sulaimaniya, Iraq/Cairo (dpa) - A fresh bird flu scare has erupted in the Kurdish region in northern Iraq with reports of 162 suspected cases almost two weeks after a 15-year-old girl died of the deadly strain.

In the Thursday issue of pan-Arab daily al-Hayat, the head of the pre-emption committee in the Kurdistan Province Najm Eddin Mohammed announced that 162 people have been admitted to the diagnosis center on suspicion of contracting the virus.

Mohammed told al-Hayat that the virus has proliferated throughout Rania, a region southwest of al-Sulaymania on the border with Turkey, and described the influx as a "crisis."

http://tinyurl.com/ae7ua
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 6:22am

This is concerning! Wow-it's like trying to fight a wildfire with a glass of water.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 6:41am

Thanks for giving everyone the heads up! I've been
looking for a tipping point. If GOD can't help us,
then buy more N-95 Masks, while you still can!

I loaded up on extra today. Plus a portable generator, to keep the
homebrew cold.

"The area comprises some 50 villages, home to 400,000 people".

Edited by Rick
Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 4:37pm
Has anyone heard anymore on the 162 cases?   Is it a wait and see?  I don't have patience.
Angel
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 4:40pm

Nope! its cover-up and deny!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 4:51pm

Same old story Angel!    Lets hope this one doesn't get away from them.  However, The WHO is walking iinto a nightmare of a situation as they have to sift through 162 cases in a matter of hours to find out what is going on.   This could easily get away from them by tomorrow.  If the number of suspected cases doubles and rises to over 300 over the next few days, then we  may have to get our final-final preps done.

Lets hope that this is not an h2h explosion and that it is a b2h explosion.

wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 9:15pm
I think we're finally seeing the tip of the iceberg we've known to be lurking in those cold, dark waters.

Heads up, all eyes on deck.
wannago
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 4:14am
Today is friday, the moslem sabbath, and most government offices in the mid-east are closed. I doubt we will hear much news until tomorrow. if then. 

Additionally, recent reports from the kurds intimate that 50 villages and 400,000 people are `quarantined', whatever that means.  By isolating these villages, they are hoping to contain the virus, and probably, any news, from getting out. 

While I view these early reports with concern, no doubt anyone with even the slightest `flu' symptom in the area is `suspected' of having H5N1.  Seasonal flu is endemic in the area right now (admittedly, having H5N1 & H3N2 together is not good), so these early numbers may mean nothing.

With a 3-17 day incubation period, it may take a couple of weeks before we have a good handle on what is happening there.  Of course, by the time an outbreak becomes obvious, it may be too late to contain it.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 4:46am
The incubation period will allow it time to sneak its way around the world before we know that it's even mutated.  The incubation period will create simultaneous outbreaks  from all around the world at the same time - in my opinion.   We will never see it coming when it goes h2h.  We won't know until the hospitals are suddenly being overrun.  It's hard to tell if we should use this latest explosion as our final warning that the incubation period may be underway.  Guessing when it is incubating is the only early warning that we will get.    
spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 5:07am
Yes, I agree people will fall host to carry this disease and not even know it.  This is the worst part.  They are walking around like ticking time bombs and have no idea of the potential for this flu.  This incubation period is where the flu will hide in the shadows and alley ways waiting for victims, theoretically speaking, it could be here in the U.S. at the rate things are going.  I smell a big cover up in progress.  We aren't being protected, we are being decieved.  By the time we know whats going on it will be far past the point of no return.  It takes a lot to worry me and I am not feeling at ease so much anymore. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 5:36am
While I agree, a cover-up, or at least a supression of information is going on, the reasoning behind it may not be nefarious (doesn't mean it isn't, either).

Let's say there is evidence (not proof) that limited H2H is going on. To date, it has been self-limiting. Stopping, for whatever reason, after the 2nd or 3rd transfer.  If you are in charge of raising the red flag, do you do it now? 

Bear in mind that the ramifications of such an announcement could make tracking and treating the disease more difficult.  Borders could close. There would be runs on supplies. Indeed, in the affected areas, civil disruptions could occur, making it impossible to send medical teams in.  And of course, you don't have `positive' proof it is occuring, as the evidence is circumstantial.

While I want transparency, and as much information as possible, there are other considerations.

Even if WHO wanted to release this information, foreign governments may well have warned that they will not cooperate (think: China) if they do. Entire economies, even political systems, hang in the balance.  They may feel that every day they can delay this announcement gives government officials one more day to prepare (or loot the treasury, make escape plans, etc.)

While I try not to entertain every conspiracy theory that comes along (I'm selective! ), I do accept, that when dealing with goverment agencies, that the following advice is probably valid.

"Never believe any rumor until it has been officially denied."

I'm sure there is much heated debate in the back rooms of the UN and WHO regarding how and when to release information. Right now, I suspect they are stuck between Iraq and a hard place.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 6:08am
"I'm sure there is much heated debate in the back
rooms of the UN and WHO regarding how and when to release
information. Right now, I suspect they are stuck between Iraq and
a hard place."

I agree competely with the above statement and post. I've
always found the best way to make an affordable investment, is to make
it when nobody else is interested. If a stampede starts, its too late.

"Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?"

(Moody Blues -
"Days Of Future Passed")
------------------

Published: 1/31/2006

ANKARA - “Bird Flu National Coordination Center stated on Monday that
the number of bird flu positive cities rose from 28 to 31. The number of
bird flu detected localities is 67, added the center. Meanwhile, the
number of bird flu suspected cities dropped from 27 to 26, and localities
from 73 to 66.

A total of 1,596,000 poultry have been culled across the country due to
bird flu so far.

Sources told the A.A that (southwestern) Burdur, (central Anatolian)
Eskisehir and (eastern) Malatya are the new cities where.
avian influenza was detected.”

Bird Flu   Positive   Cities 31
B.F    Detected Localities 67
B.F.   Suspected Cities    26
                                             --

Houston we have problem.

"Chickens, ducks, all kinds of birds are shoved into sacks and thrown into
a tractor before being disposed of in a massive ditch, dug for this
purpose. "We are gathering up all the birds and burying them in a ditch
four meters deep, far away from the houses," said Bassem Khodr Hassan,
one of the volunteers on the team. He looked around with regret at the
dilapidated state of the village whose inhabitants don't even have the
most rudimentary forms of protection. "

"We're well protected with our suits, but I fear for those
little kids who gather to watch us and have nothing to protect themselves
with," he said."

http://www.jordantimes.com/fri/news/news5.htm (cut & paste manually)

Edited by Rick
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 6:29am

What concers me is that how they could possibly quarenteen these areas effictively. The whole region exsist on smuggling and the black market, weponds, the flow of goods, insurgents, etc. The know all the routes and have bribed all the right people.

Quarenteen in these regions are useless. At least they are trying however the human factor, not birds is what will keep spreading the desiease.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 6:48am
03 Feb 2006 | 17:41

WHO official says some 10,000 dozes of Tamiflu on way to Iraq.

GENEVA, Feb 3 (KUNA) - "A World Health Organization (WHO) senior
official said Friday that some 10,000 dozes of Tamiflu, the medicine to
combat Bird Flu, is on its way to Iraq following the confirmed case of an
H5N1 virus which killed a 15 year old girl, and the emergence of two
other suspected case. Assistant Director-General, Communicable
Diseases Dr. Margaret Chan added that her organization has sent teams
of experts to nine neighboring countries of Turkey following the cases
that were confirmed there, however, she added the situation in Turkey is
now stable."

Seems like they expect trouble.

http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=8109 91

(article abbreviated - cut paste URL into browser)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 6:52am

The WHO is really pathetic at containing outbreaks.  While they have been sitting around in Turkey for the last week, they assumed that the virus completely stopped spreading.  The WHO is really inept at times.  They never seem to  make any attempts to get out in front of it.  They should have already prepared the neighboring countries ahead of time so they would be expecting it, which would allow them to surround it much faster when it starts. They should have supplied Tamiflu to all hospitals throughout  the region so they could try to immediately contain the outbreak when it starts.   Instead, they waited for 162 people to possibly get infected before they even got on a plane.  None of the hospitals seem to have ANY Tamiflu available.  The hospitals are not prepared at all for this.  How do they expect to contan  it if they sit around and wait for the outbreaks to happen frrst?   Iraq should have already been prepared for this.  It would be too late to contain an outbreak of this size if were to go h2h.  It would have way to big of a head start on us.   Not knowing if the number of suspected cases in Iraq  is continuing to increase is taking away any advanced warning that we may get.   Again, the WHO arrives on the scene and all updates stop. 

Edited by Albert
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 6:58am

Don't pray for someone to take the problems away, pray for broader
shoulders.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:04am

I dont think the who have any intention of containing the outbreak - lets face the facts h5n1 is now well engrained in the bird population and in the next 3 months it will be throughout europe. Containment proberbly was never a real option. monitoring for h2h is all that we can do whilst limiting contact through culling

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 8:19am

Amen

Edited by Rick
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 9:19am

Remember also that northern Iraq is a very rough terrain and that it is hard to access due to security and the war.

If wild birds now have it in Hong Kong then there is no stopping it. Culling poultry is done to keep the virus as far away from humans as possible to prevent the virus from mutating to H2H.

spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 9:30am
I am still upset that in order to contain the situation, every available able bodied person needs to remain vigilant.  Withholding information will not apply vigilance.  Ignorance is bliss I guess and holding back info is the best way to keep people calm but disables vigilance.  People need to be informed by the proper channels because rumor will spread chaos.  Right now its all rumor for the affected areas.  The chaos will not bring this virus to an end.  People will get sick and panic and thats where the chaos starts.  Oh well, no point in complaining about it anymore.  They have known about the possibilties of this virus becoming a problem since 1997.  I guess that wasn't enough time for them figure it out though.  9 years later this virus crops up as a problem so do you really think they can do anything about it in a matter of a few weeks?  I guess we will find out the hard way...
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 5:17pm

The WHO in Turkey is now totally surrounded by the virus in that region. Think about that for a minute. What does that tell ya about the World Helpless Organization?

They are chasing thier tails. But the time they hit Van Turkey to investigate those outbreaks the virus had already spread 600-900 miles west to Istanbul and the capitol.

Can we vote to get better people in the WHO? Where's Al Sharpton when you need him.

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic