Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

If you’re new here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you’re new here
    Posted: July 18 2006 at 7:47am

If you're just finding this site for the first time, your research has finally brought you to your last stop.  This website has all of the information that you will need to know.  We have various forums setup to address every topic so be sure to take your time and explore the entire site.

To get you started, we provided some links below that will help direct you to our most popular forum sections. 

Our most active section is the news forum.  You can monitor the latest news and developments each day by simply clicking on the topic heading Latest News. 

If you would like tips and advice as to where to begin, and what to buy first, we would encourage you to visit our preparedness forum Pandemic Survival Tips. 

If you're tired of reading, and you would prefer to watch, venture to our video forum.  You can now view the latest online preparedness videos  with one simple click located in Video Awareness.

We also recently launched an entirely new website, which is another forum based portal.  This new site has state specific forums which is designed to help people plan with others who are located within their same state, or local area.  Feel free to visit this new website and participate by posting a message in your state forum - To select a state forum, you can proceed to the new site now by clicking here:  www.PandemicHelp.org

Thanks again for visiting us!

Smile 

ImmuneConcerned View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 1:28pm
Albert,

Re:  other countries? 

I think it would be wonderful to get more people from different countries participating esp. in the general news/discussion area.   The individual country & State sections are good for specific needs being met in specific areas and when my daughter gets back from Russia I hope she can show me how to translate languages via the computer so I can learn what they are saying..

My daughter's Russian host family consists two college professors--one in math (daughter's field)  & the other (as reported to me):  a Medical teacher  (. . . ?) living in Tver (south of Moscow).   I just e-mailed my daughter asking her to spread the word of this forum to people who might be interested there. . . but . . . she is trying to be as inconspicious as possible & I am not certain she will.  I was wondering, if there were some specific question relating to BF about that part of Russia and if it might faciliate an exchange (or potential exchange when stuff happens).  

If anything comes to mind let me know.   Thanks
ImmuneConcerned
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 1:41pm
A storm is coming !
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 2:11pm
Bill,

MERCEI beaucoup
     Thank you very much!!!

ImmuneConcerned
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 2:33pm
no problemo. The translation might not be perfect, I know it isn't with chinese translation
A storm is coming !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 6:59pm
Vas ist Los?  Even in Taiwan no one is prepping. Of course with 4,000+ people per sq mile how are you going to stay away from people?

What happened to everyone Albert?  Did eveyone go into hiding?

I can't even think of something to make people mad enough to write something.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 7:37pm

oldasrocks,

We are under a cease-fire......Truce ????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 7:46pm
Albert;

I "logged out" in error as Wulfgang, absolutely had a terrible time resetting my password, then had to give up and  re-register as a new member.

Question - can I get my "credits" restored under my new name "Wulfgang-1" ? If not, it's not a big deal, only curious.

Thanks
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 8:04pm
Hi Albert-the Great. I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I am no longer being notified via e-mail of the responses to my posts. How can I re-activate this feature? I could not find it anywhere in settings or help. HELP!Confused
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 8:54pm
Oldasrocks, Some members leave for various reasons, and new ones join and take their place.  It's the nature of forums.  

Wulfgang, I restored your credits.  I can change your name back if you would like as well.   If you're interested, send me an email to Albertaft@aol.com

Hi Legacy, good to hear from you.  I'm not sure why the email notification isn't working.  Everything shows to be working fine, but I will have someone look into it.

Smile
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 9:08pm
ImmuneConcerned, the link that Bill 100 gave you (to babelfish) will allow your daughter and her host family to easily translate the forum.  Have your daughter try translating the forum by using that link.  They can practice in our Russian forum. 

You can also have her email me directly and I will work with her on it.  Albertaft@aol.com

Smile

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 7:55am
Yes,  Mary R I still love you no matter what they say about you. Je Taime choo choo.

I just wish I was a better writer like Twoof or someone to get my message and thoughts through better.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 8:12am
Albert,
     Thank you.  I posted the babelfish link on the Russian form for anyone who might come accross it.  I could post it for all the different countries if you'd like, though I have a feeling most posting from non-English speaking lands probably already know about babelfish (or something similar).  Haven't heard yet from my daughter.  Thanks for all!
ImmuneConcerned
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 10:35am
Oldasrocks,
                     44ICUROK.....You will be remembered for a long time  .Wink

Take Care
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 12:31pm
I don't know how to take that Mary. In 1963  I fell 35 ft was brought in DOA and in a coma for 10 days.  I remember that to but not with fond memories.

CUROK????

Albert is still the one who is up for Sainthood here. I doubt if I have much influence with the Man up above but he is in my prayers.
Killer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Killer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 1:45pm

Albert, I hate to bother you, but I am still locked out. Not sure how to get to my old account. Or do I just build a new one? I thought that I had the right login and password, but it is not taking it. I do have a different email; but I can not get into to change or update it. I also got locked out of the Pandemic Help site; not sure if it is related or not (note: I did reregister my info).

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 6:33pm
April, I removed your email from the last post. 

Also, I changed your password to your last name.  After you logon, you can change it to whatever you like.   Since you are currently posting on PHO, I'm not sure what you mean by being locked out over there?   Let me know if you have any more problems.

Take care.

Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 7:08pm
Happy Me, Happy Me!!! Thanks Albert (AKA Da' Man) LOL
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 7:51pm
No problem April.  I also like what you did to your site. 

Take care

Smile

PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 9:51am
This is my first post on the forum, but I have been a reader for a few months and I hope to add my presence to a great group.
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 10:20am
So say something to us PATB.  Thats the whole idea here. to help people, to make people think, to ask quesitons so someone can help you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 1:01am
I am an Aussie and we are known for our Humour so let the occasional joke out or we will all die of boredom
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 11:09am
Albert,

I think I may still be locked out of the forum. I wanted to post the article about the conjunctivitis epidemic in southampton Virginia. ( I copied the article with pandemhelp.org).
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 11:16am
You can't be locked out of the forum if you're able to post.       Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 11:24am
Albert,

Hopefully this will be a direct link to the red itchy eyes article posted today in the Virginian Pilot. Feel free to post it elsewhere, or paste and cut as needed. Argyll

RE: article on epidemic conjunctivitis.

Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:01pm
Oldasrocks: I don't know if I count but I'm still here.

I'm listening with great care but I'm afraid I can't think of anything polite to say.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 1:19pm
Scotty, Well say it anyway. We need a little controversy to keep our blood pumping.  You've read some of my posts and they tick some off but nobody has shot me YET!  I feel sorry for you people that live in the UK.
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 1:29pm
I think you'll find that this site is run and controlled from the U.S.A.

We observe and on occasion we contribute what we can. On other occasions it seems wiser to remain silent. We have noted the complete lack of controversy and deeply regret its removal. Still, musn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 4:27am
Oldasrocks, why do you feel sorry for us UK dwellers?  Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:55pm
Scotty, Please explain further. "no controversy?" I guess you have not seem some of the answers and comments made to me. I've been called everything but sane.

Beth I feel sorry for the citydwellers as the plight they will have to endure if the BF does hit.  I get  claustrophobic just thinking about being trapped in a city, especially in a high rise. They are at the  complete mercy of others for food, water and power.  No place to run to and no easy way to run there.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:57pm
Beth I feel sorry for the UK people as you can't own a gun and for the most part your lives and liveyhood is controlled by others.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 1:41pm
Our lives and livelihood are controlled by others to qite an extent.  But aren't yours also?  What do you perceive as the differences in this respect?  Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 3:11pm
That is a good question Beth. I understand you cannot own a firearm.  That in itself puts you at the mercy of others. Australia tried this and crime went  through the ceiling.  What is your population per square mile?  Where I live it averages 45.  I don't know how to change this to KM. More crowded equals less freedoms.   Of course this would vary depending on where one lives.  WE have a big enough place we can grow about anything we want to vegtable or animal. We have a modest private pond with good fishing.

I dont' see my life controlled very much other  than having to pay taxes.
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 11:50pm
oldasrocks: Have you been stirring it whilst I've been away? I guess I missed all that. Like you I enjoy a bit of controversy as long as it doesn't get too personal. I miss it badly but I can only play the guy they put in front of me and the guy in front of me keeps throwing his rattle out of the cot.

Reference the U.K. population I think its about 500 per square mile but this needs to be taken in context. I guess that 90% of our land mass has a population of less than 50 per square mile so you can guess how crowded the remaining 10% is.

I envy you your space, I envy you your freedoms and your written constitution. There is a lot to admire in your country and your people. They are charming, witty and likeable. If you want something controversial then here it is.

You have built a society within which guns are desirable and in some cases almost necessary. The rest of the world manages perfectly well without them and yet you cannot sense the possibility that you are wrong, let alone have a meaningful debate about why you need such things.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 7:27am

Another good place to start learning more about the avian flu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 10:15am
Excellant point Scotty but  we can all cite a number of cases when the average citizen was  disarmed and at a disadvantage. Look at the  Jewish population before and during WW@. Look at what  happened to the Polish people after Hitler disarmed them.

More recent in the disarming of Australia. I have a couple friends down there. one from there and one that moved there from Texas.  In the year after disarming all the citizens armed robbery went up 72%, (how ? everyone turned in their guns didn't they?) rape up 87% murder, breaking and entering etc etc were up double digit figures. They now are outlawing large knives. So I contend the problem is not the guns but the people.

I have heard that is why American has been so terrorist free for so long. The bad guys like to pick on unarmed people. The UK is disarmed? I think I have heard about something called the IRA around there that was armed.

I do not see how you think the rest of the world is unarmed.  Even in Switzerland it is mandatory for every man to have a gun in the house.  I see example after example of people being at the mercy of armed thugs.

In Tawian where it is a mandatory death penality to be caught with a gun the bad guys carry Uzis and hand grenades. Same in Japan.  Show me one example where the citizens are fully protected being disarmed. North Korea?

If you can show me a 100% way to disarm the bad guys I will give up my weapons.  Until then I will continue to carry my 45 under my armpit.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 11:08am
When guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns. Does that make me feel safe and want to give mine up? no expletive way! Jo
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 3:38am
oldasrocks: How can we have a good slanging match if you keep descending into civilised debate? I thought that you guys were supposed to explode into fits of rage whenever guns were mentioned?

I can only really speak for the U.K. and here the crime statistics are horrific. If you exclude the street theft of cell phones from the under sixteeens then they fall dramatically. We have very low rates of violent crime and our murder rate, excluding crimes of passion and the so called honour killings of young asian girls by their own families, is extremely low. This is still a country where many urban dwellers don't bother to lock their doors. Whatever it is that we do, or don't do, it seems to be working.

The key to the difference between the U.S.A. lies in the taxation policies of these two economic groups. We have chosen the low growth high taxation route. You live under a regime that has always favoured low taxation and subsequently higher growth rates. They don't burn the money that they take from us in taxes. They use it to create employment for low grade unqualified people. They also use it to create safety nets for the sick, the elderly, the unemployed and the misfits of society who would otherwise turn to crime.

I don't claim that either system is in any way superior to the other. Each has its merits. I'm just saying that the U.K. is a very safe place to live. Many of your "A list" celebrities keep houses in London for that very reason. There is no universal clamour for the right to carry guns. There is a constant demand for the police to do a half decent job of crime prevention. Some of our police force now carry guns and the only noticeable result has been a huge increase in the killing of innocent people by our police force. We are, by nature, an extremely violent race. Right now Joe Public slaps his wife and she hits him with a frying pan. If they both had guns there would be bodies all over the place.

jo007athome: Do you carry a loaded gun when you walk the dog, or answer your front door, or fill up your tank, or when you get into an elevator? If you do, is it aimed and ready to fire? If you do not do these things then what use is a gun anyway?

Is there any evidence to support the theory that guns reduce the number of violent crimes? Do the Amish carry guns? I understand that the crime rate in Amish areas is virtually non-existent.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Scotty Scotty wrote:

jo007athome: Do you carry a loaded gun when you walk the dog, or answer your front door, or fill up your tank, or when you get into an elevator? If you do, is it aimed and ready to fire? If you do not do these things then what use is a gun anyway?

Is there any evidence to support the theory that guns reduce the number of violent crimes? Do the Amish carry guns? I understand that the crime rate in Amish areas is virtually non-existent.

Nope, I don't carry it to walk the dog or get on an elevator, or even at the gas station. I do however keep it loaded and ready at my home. This is where I am most concerned about. The people who do breakins in America don't like to leave witnesses that can testify later. I see about two or three robbery/murders a week on the news here in Florida.
I am savy enough to keep my eyes wide open out in public and stay away from areas where crimes are likely to be committed. Does this mean I am completely safe? No, but I am comfortable with my own ability to deal with what ever happens. I f someone does a home invasion on my house, I won't be the one in the morgue. Jo

Edited to add:
Almost any crime you see in an amish community will be from an outsider. I wish that there were a place lke that to live freely, but in reality, there isn't. I also know that the freedoms we enjoy here in America are not free, they were purchased with blood. We'd better be ready to defend them with blood if needs be, otherwise they will disappear. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 8:23am
Scotty, The differance in the Amish communities is they keep their children under control. The kids are taught to respect, study and know there is swift punishment for doing wrong. No so in most of America unfortunely.  Terachers are sued for even giving bad grades much less  swatting a kid.  In Catholic school I got swatted a lot but I'm a fairly decent person because of it.  With our welfare system kids are paid for having babies who grow up with no morals. I'm sure you have the same problem in part.

We even have a real stupid program called  "home schooling"  parents are allowed to teach their kids instead of formal school.  The police gets sued by the criminals for doing their job.  Our system has a lot of severe problems starting with too many  attorneys but guns are not the start of the problem. They are a tool both for bad and for good.

You asked Jo about her gun.  I keep one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen and a pistol to carry back and forth down the hallway. snicker- not really 

I had a neighbor that came home one Saturday afternoon and found someone loading the stuff out of his house on a pickup. He hollered at him and the badgun shot back.  My neighbor pulled his 9mm and put 3 slugs in the guys chest.  Now unless we have personal one on one police protection how would we otherwise deal with this situation?  Well we could outlaw guns since that has worked so well keeping the drugs out of the country.

I feel a person has the right and the responsibility to take care of themselves. If you people want to be sheep and herded around by the goverment so be it.    If Mr Blair --who I like-- decided to round you all up and put you in camps what could you do about it? our constitution writers decided to keep the power with the people not the goverment.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 8:26am
Jo, Excellent response to Scotty.

"the freedoms we  enjoy were purchased with blood. We better be ready to defend them with blood,  if need be, or they will disappear too."

makes me want to get up and sing The National Anthem
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:32am
Oldas,
That's one of my peculiar soap boxes. Be glad I stopped there, LOL.
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:36am
I think that the real point is being missed. There are plenty of societies where guns are necessary or desirable but it really isn't on to feel pity for those who live in a society where they are not necessary. Very few of our criminals carry guns. Why would they? If they run we would let them go. If they burgle a house they know that they will not be shot at. If they are caught they know that they are unlikely to get a custodial sentence, and even if they did, it would likely be six months.

Now if our burglers were expecting to get the sort of "problem solving" sentences that are given in the U.S.A. then that really would create a problem. Nobody is going to voluntarily spend the next hundred years, it is ridiculous isn't it, in prison. Under these sort of sentences they would most certainly carry guns and probably use them.

If your meanest and nastiest criminals came to the U.K. they would soon realise that it was in their own interests to disguard their guns in favour of much lighter sentences.

You can't legitimately take the gun argument out of context. It involves social attitudes, criminal law, employment discrimination, educational discrimination, social injustice etc etc.

The only people who want guns to be legalised in my country are people who cannot separate fact from fantasy. For some stupid reason they always believe they will be better than the other guy. Maybe they've seen too many movies.

Let's face it, you can kill for fun from three hundred yards and it doesn't much matter whether target is armed or not.
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:39am
PS Can I take it that the Amish do not carry guns and that, far from suffering a higher crime rate, they enjoy exactly the same unarmed status as we do in the U.K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 11:33am
Well, I probably shouldn't but I will go there. A society without guns is desirable, but IMAO unatainable. Like I mentioned in my previous post, when guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns. That puts you and I, good old joe public at a terrible disadvantage. Not only from the bad guys, but from the Government who then has pretty much got total conrol of all its citizens. The bad guys don't always wear labels that identify them. Our Government for the last 75 years or so, has been quietly grabbing up the rights that our ancestors fought and died to establish, and when the guns are gone, so is America as we know it. Power does only one thing, it seeks more power. This has been proven time and again in history in every major civilization on record.  Also note that they all fall, and I'm sure I won't be around to witness it, but unless people stop handing over their rights and becoming dependent more and more on the Government to solve all of their problems, America will only exist in the history books. Our constitution was written to protect the citizens of this country from the tyrany of an uncontrolled Government. Remember the founding fathers had first hand experience with a Government out of control. Little by little, that very document is being re-written. As it stands today, the men who wrote it would barely recognize it. The caliber of the people in this country has completely reversed itself in the last 75 years. Ours used to be a Government "by the people for the people and of the people". The people used to be proud of being independent and self sufficient. That has diminished also. People are too self absorbed to pay attention to the issues which will ultimately change their lives. An old saying goes "if you choose not to choose, you still have made a choice". The same holds true for ignoring problems, do they go away? No but while you ignore it, someone else IS dealing with it and it could be in a way that is detrimental to you. That is all. Jo

Edited to say:
This country was founded on God, Guts and Guns. They have taken out  the first two, it's only a matter of time before they try for the last.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic