Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What is the ratio of wheat to flour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the ratio of wheat to flour
    Posted: July 20 2006 at 10:43am

I've been trying for some time now to find a ratio of wheat to flour. If I have some quantity (gallon/pound/cup) of wheat, just how many cups of flour can I grind?  I've bought a hand mill, and am now about to order  wheat to store in my small condo. Many sources tell me we need several hundred pounds of wheat for a year, but I'd like to know just how much flour that yields.

Thanks very much for your advice.
Irene View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 11:24am
I think that might depend on your grinder.

I did an internet search and discovered this grinder which says the grain/flour ratio is 1 to 1:

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 3:47am
A cup of wheat berries will produce about 1 1/2 cups flour. I saw that on another thread by survivalacres. Hope that helps. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 12:11pm
Yes, my grinder gives me about 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cup of wheat flour (or spelt etc.) for 1 cup of berries.

susieq View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 2:37pm
Thank you all very much.  I'm just starting to bake bread so it will be great to do all the steps from wheat to table.  I know the ratio will vary, based on whether the wheat is coarsely or finely ground, but the rule of thumb will guide me when I calculate how much to buy.
dustyboots View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 10:34am
Susieq, just found this in my notebook. Hope it helps.

45lbs of wheat berries yields 158 cups of flour.
1 lb or 3 cups berries yields approx. 4 cups ground flour
A rough approx.- a scant 2/3 cup berries = 1cup ground flour
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 5:50pm
What about yeast, does anyone know if you can store yeast, and if so, how?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by therese therese wrote:

What about yeast, does anyone know if you can store yeast, and if so, how?

I have several pounds in the freezer.From what I understand, yeast will be good for a year or more in the freezer. Jo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic