Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

City Chaos - Event Date: December 07 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: City Chaos
    Posted: July 31 2006 at 4:21am
I like Richard Dean Anderson (McGyver) in Stargate SG1. I was disappointed when he was not in the new series. I liked the general too, Don S. Davis, and he is out of the new series too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 6:08pm
Buy you books and buy you books and all you do is eat the  covers.

Don't pick on McGyver he is my hero.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Pebbles25 Pebbles25 wrote:

no way hanging on to bra's old an use for slings shoots   geezzzzzzzz havent you read your survial kit ? and humor is good gives a few minutes of a good feeling inside again !

Oh ! I had the wrong survival kit. I had the McGyver survival kit. A paper clip, elastic band, tooth pick, huge bra and 2x4's. I see what happened.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 8:48am
Originally posted by oldasrocks oldasrocks wrote:

your funny pepples. I've had that cookbook for years--mine is labeled

"101 ways to wok your dog"  old chinese cookbook.

Maybe we should all get together and make up a joke book. 652 stupid jokes by over stressed preppers.

Is that anything like throwing a wok at a wabbit?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 8:05am
your funny pepples. I've had that cookbook for years--mine is labeled

"101 ways to wok your dog"  old chinese cookbook.

Maybe we should all get together and make up a joke book. 652 stupid jokes by over stressed preppers.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 9:49pm
    no way hanging on to bra's old an use for slings shoots   geezzzzzzzz havent you read your survial kit ? and humor is good gives a few minutes of a good feeling inside again !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 9:47pm
found great sight 101 ways to prepare dog soup on a budget   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 7:47pm
Yes try to convince her of  the fact we are harmless rapture.  Do you think we can really get out of this cell block tonite?  I managed to wiggle out of my straight jacket and ready to go.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Preddebflorida Preddebflorida wrote:

Well, am I glad that I stumbled on to this forum.  Not!!   

Welcome Preddebflorida!  Just got to ignore some of us....I am sure we are all suffering from the horrilbe heat outside and I believe there is a full moon coming.

We all just get a little frustrated with prepping/world events and such,sometimes the need to break up the frustration leads threads astray.   Please stay a while a look around. Were all really harmless!Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Preddebflorida Preddebflorida wrote:

Aw, come on, were just having a little fun. Not every thread has to be gloom and doom.
Preddebflorida View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preddebflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 9:59am

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 9:49am
Oh in the meantime everyone gather up all the bras you can and ship them to Albert for redistribution.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 9:47am
OK what have we learned?  The best ideas I have seen are the bird cages and loose feathers on the front porch with Quarantine signs. 2nd is inviting people in for roast dog, rat or whatever was roadkill that day.
\
Bartering is a BAD idea. Except with people you already know and trust. PEBBLES25   forget trying to bribe the gangs. If they learn you have stuff they will take it from you. Use idea # 2 and invite them over for bird soup and roast dog.  People are going to be cornered in the cities. The only thing that can be done there is neigbors to gang together and fight accordingly. Hopefully the gangs will die off after a period of time.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 7:10am
    Like you gardener I live in a big city too, San Dieog, so I was thinking what I should purchase for the bartering,since we have major gang problems have to rack my brain here, chocolate naw,nylongs, maybe they could use those to pull over their heads for masks? now if I buy wiskey and cigarettes that could be good. All kidding aside, may sell house quickly, buy a good size boat and sit out on the bay and just let em knock each other off, anybody have some good tips on fighting pirates? all kidding aside just some saturday morning humor there, I don't think any of us can imagine how bad a city likes ours will be!
hugs everyone :o)
although I do like the boat idea

PS....and no gardener, I never got your email
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 6:35am
hey oldasrocks,
save the chicken poop!
brianages View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 5:14am
I think for those living in the rural areas a "MANURE-A-PULT" would be effective.

There might be a market for "Manure Cannon Balls" being imported to the metro regions. A city dweller would surely run from a 10 pound lump of steaming manure being lobbed at them.

Might require a few "Double D's" being strapped together and 4x4's instead of 2x4's. The stuff is heavy when fresh!
Brian Ages - Tybee Island - GA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 4:53am
Originally posted by gettingready gettingready wrote:

Maybe we need to get the statistics chart for  bra sizes in major metro areas.  As for me, I'm afraid I'd have to go get some Cornish Hens - oh well....Ermm

I hear ya honey! LOLLOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:42pm
  Cannonball            You make a me laugh!           ROTFL

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:21pm

Hug Ditto!  This is the most fun I've had all day - thanks!  Have to leave for the airport in 8 hours - guess I need to go pack, huh? Have a great weekend and don't foget to tell people to save their old bras.Smile

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:08pm
LMAO getting, you are funny.  Come on over and we will feed you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 8:54pm

I'm going to tell Tyson on you for thinking chickens don't have rights and feelings, too.   In the meantime (since I'm now broke with all the latest tax and insurance increases), I be working on a bologna-and cheese-sandwich-a-pult, since that's all I have in the fridge anyway.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 8:39pm
getting -very interesting but I think since the chickens will be dead and frozen they will not be represented by an attorney.  Maybe  PETA will intervene but will not worry about it as we can lob a few infected ones their way. Of  course cats are getting this BF also but I don't think my cat- Olivia- would enjoy the ride. 

We can form a committee and look into this.  Please forward $168,000. for the meeting preparation fees. The first meeting will be to decide where and when to have the actual meeting.  We will need an additional  $768 million to have the actual meeting. Afte that expect a number of papers to be published ,at you expense, to try to decide this issue.

I know now that you have decided not to quesiton this issue further but let it ride as originally  planned but it is too late for that as the goverment is now involved. I'm sure the gas tax and cigarete tax will have to be raised to pay for this miscalculation on your part of questioning a name. But please do no seek medical help for your nervous condition as we will then have to raise your medical insurance premiums also.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 8:24pm

Don't you think the chickens will take offense with the name, though, since the "cat"apult could be confused with a feline delivery system?  Maybe "poultapult" would work better.  At least for the home version.  I think we'd have to work on something a little more sophisticated for the interstellar one.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 8:09pm
Cool, Please send as many chickens as you can packed in gold.  I promise to try them out as soon as we build the catapult.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 7:43pm
Gettinready:

Nice quantum accellerator.  Not sure it would work for chickens unless you packed them with a heavy metal (lead, gold, dilithium etc).  Looks similar to a device used in "Rogue star" by MIchael Flynn
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 7:37pm

Interstellar Catapults

Interstellar Catapult
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:59pm
Didn't they have some of those catapults/trebuchets on "Kingdom of Heaven"  ... there was also another movie (medievel/modern time travel ?) that used something similar to those as well ... heck, just sit the boys down in front of those movies and let them learn ...

Seems that war was so much more violent back when they fought with swords and such ...
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:57pm
Maybe we need to get the statistics chart for  bra sizes in major metro areas.  As for me, I'm afraid I'd have to go get some Cornish Hens - oh well....Ermm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:32pm
I think I have seen those on the History channel-= just didn't know what they were called. I've got a friend who owns a junkyard I may have to try to build a catapult. Sorry but they are cooler looking.

Good idea Twoof, send them a letter. I'll send you a couple chickens

Aurora, Nurture your sons ability.  There are very few people left who know how to think things through. if you treat him right maybe he will take care of you when he gets to be a millionaire.

Anharra, You mean they will die or I will?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:22pm
Diode, But what if the BF hits, no electricity in the city and its running out of food.  I'm not saying other cities will be better or worse but using NYC as an example. How will people cook and dispose of their garbage in high rises? I've seen pics of garbage strikes there. If the BF kills as many as it might  who will take care of all the bodies etc. no just in NYC but other large cities as well.

Thanks for the chart- very informative.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:20pm
hi oldasrocks,

not to worry- the people you are thinking will be a problem-

"Remember we are talking about a flu you die from."
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:11pm
lol, just trying to lighten things up a little.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 5:55pm
I don't know, I think a huge slingshot might be better for frozen chickens.  Maybe we can send this one to the "Mythbusters".
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 5:03pm

Trebuchets are cool - much more accurate than catapults.

They are launchers that have a counterweight that swings a long arm with a sling.  You pull the long arm down, load it with a projectile and let it fly in an enormous arc.

They were used to lob things over the walls of castles during sieges in the Middle Ages.

Attackers used trebuchets to throw huge stones (up to 400 lbs), dung or dead animals, the bodies of people who had died from the bubonic plague, flaming stuff, severed heads of enemy soldiers.

They could also destroy sections of castle walls.

Good picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

*I asked son where he found the plans to build his. He said "No plans. I 
   just knew how they worked and built it."

**You might see trebuchets throwing pumpkins now. heresy.

***Bras hadn't been invented in the Middle Ages.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by oldasrocks oldasrocks wrote:

I have not seen too many bras that would hold a chicken.  Where did you find bras that big?

I'll give you my ex-sister-in-laws address.  She could equip allied forces Europe with her bras....................
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 3:25pm
Interesting thread.  However,  there seems to be some confusion about
the safety of living in NYC.   I lived in mid Manhattan for seven years and
never had a problem.    I think NY'ers are great people and always help
each other out during disasters.

Interesting table on crime rates in US Cities,   note NYC rates as
compared to others:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 3:02pm
Were you using full sized chickens in these Bill? I have not seen too many bras that would hold a chicken.  Where did you find bras that big? Besides you are talking slingshot not catapult.

If I had women that big around I would not need a catapult I'd just say Sic em.   hey I never said I was nice.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 2:58pm
aurora, Well just put the kid on a bus and ship him out. He'd go nuts in my shop.  What is a trebushet anyway??????  I'll ship him home after he gets done building  stuff.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 2:10pm
[QUOTE=aurora]

"I like my idea of throwing frozen chickens at them with a catapult better.  Anyone know how to make a catapult?" 

That one is easy I made one of them when I was a kid. You get a HUGE bra, and 2, 2x4"s.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 1:40pm

"I like my idea of throwing frozen chickens at them with a catapult better.  Anyone know how to make a catapult?" 

My teen-age son builds trebuchets.  It’s a homeschool kid thing - turn them loose with wood & tools and a trebuchet appears in the yard.

The 14’ beast tossed large chunks of wood and bricks at least 100 yards.

Shipping costs would kill you though....  LOL

Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:59pm
You never know if you can pull a triger on a person until you do it. The military had to change their training because of the low percentage of soldiers that could pull the triger. During vietnam that percentage turned around into the 90's, because of training. Having a deer in your sights is totally different than a man.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:48pm
Turbo, It should be easy to find your house in Camdenton then.  Have you found mine? I gave you enough clues. When are you goingto come down?

You can say the right word to the sheriffs office about his pulling a gun on some kids and he won't have a permit anymore.

Besides I told you I was Certifiable.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:45pm
twoolf, my gun is a turkey gun with the shorter barrel. I think that's why it kicks so bad. I was taught to use a shotgun at a very early age (6 years)to protect my family but consider we were never allowed toy guns. So when I say it kicks, it kicks! My climate is much like yours and the cleaning I refer to is some people make an almost daily thing out of it. I've never had a gun to rust. The wiping it with oil once in a while tends to protect it but it's not handled a lot either so that may have something to do with it. It's been ages since the 10 guage was cleaned and it looks OK.
However, if I were some of these women and were given the choice of having a rusty gun or no gun at all guess what I'd do?
Hope this better explains my position. Thanks!
Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:19pm
Maysday,  I agree about a shotgun being essential for home defense.  However, its length can be a pain.  Most manufacturers have a legal "law enforcement" barrel of 18" available.  My Remmington 870 has one that cost me about $120 through an auction site (the big one), and makes the weapon much more useful.  I clean my guns once a month if they have been used or not.  Florida humidity is terrible even with Damp Rid in the gun case.  Its not playing, just preserving a valuable asset.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:08pm
I'm an older woman and I believe in guns. I own more than one. I have a permit to carry a handgun. I have never shot a person but could if my home was being invaded. I have killed a lot of snakes.

Wal-Mart has a 12 gauge pump shotgun for about $176.00. They say it's a pretty good gun. It's affordable. My 12 gauge turkey gun was a very nice gift. It has the lighted sights which I will never use because it does kick a lot, so I don't shoulder it the way I do the 10 gauge. Just put it beside my waist and fire. If I had to stop someone I would aim towards the broadest part of that person (usually the chest). There is no way I'd attempt to raise a family in the city today without one.

Recently, I had a friend who lives in town wake up to find a man standing at the foot of her bed. He had scaled a two story wall and managed to get into her apartment window.The noise woke her but by that time he was in and she must have been in shock!. She happen to have $20. in her purse and he took that and left out the front door. It could have been much worse. Her grandchild sleeping in the bed, slept through it.

Around the house I like a shotgun. Someone told me that pawn shops are good places to pick up a used one and the best time is toward the end of the month. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to use one. I raised a bunch of boys and taught them these rules. (A) Never bring a gun in the house loaded. (B) Keep the ammunition where you know where it is, but a small child would not be able to put the two together. Contrary to popular belief unloaded guns can't kill. People do. (C) Never raise a gun toward another human being unless you are ready to pull the trigger. (D) Never pull the trigger until you see what you're shooting at. It might be your brother. (E) Teach your children guns are not toys. They are for killing.

You don't have to "take it apart" to clean it as often as I've seen some do (like playing with a toy). My oldest son was once a sharpshooter and trained young men for battle- taught me to just rub a little oil on it every once in a while and when it needs cleaning he'll do it.
Good luck to all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic