Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

N95 Mask "False Sense Of Security" - Event Date: July 27 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: N95 Mask "False Sense Of Security"
    Posted: July 27 2006 at 3:31pm

This was sent to me by a microbiologist in Washington and he has informed me that the N95 mask although very cost effective it is completely useless against H5N1 virus. He refers it to trying to filter sand with a pasta strainer! The H5N1 virus is so much smaller than .3um. Why on earth would anyone want to wear a N95 mask which is only 95% effective? Would it not be more prudent to wear a mask that is 99.99% effective? Would it not be wiser to actually use a mask that's been tested with biological agents instead of salt particles? It's kind of like building a boat and spraying it with a hose then telling everyone it will float.  I understand that N95's are inexpensive and yes better than nothing. But why is everyone so quick to accept it as being the best or only solution. Their are masks out there that will give you 99.99% protection. I've read that the H5N1 virus is attached to droplets and that the N95 will stop it from passing through. What about the 5% that might get through. How long will the 95% efficiency of the mask last? Not all face masks provide the same level of performance hour after hour of use. Studies show that when subjected to bio-aerosols, the performances of most face masks deteriorate significantly over time unless there is a antimicrobial agent which protects it against microbial deterioration of the filtration media. 

• What is N-95?
    Filters and infectious particles
    Particles greater than 5 microns fall out of the air
    Particles 1 – 5 microns in diameter can enter upper airways
    0.1 – 1 micron particles enter lower lungs and alveolar ducts

Examples of particle size:

• Viruses 0.02 to 0.3 microns - N95 mask not effective
    • Bacteria 0.5 to 10 microns - N95 mask effective
    • Mold spores 1 to 70 microns - N95 mask effective
    • Fungi 2 to >200 microns - N95 mask effective

Particulate filter efficiency is based on ability to remove particles greater > than 0.3 microns in diameter (medial aerodynamic diameter of 0.3 um)

It is also very important to note, that although the CDC recommends these products as suitable levels of protection against the H5N1 virus, the testing criteria used to certify these products does not include any biological agents.

NIOSH only tests the filtration efficiencies of N95 facemasks against salt particles, and does not currently employ any standards to test against live agents.

• Under the new particulate filter tests, NIOSH will certify three classes of filters, N-, R-, and P-series, with three levels of filter efficiency, 95%, 99%, and 99.97%, in each class. All filter tests will employ the most penetrating aerosol size, 0.3 µm aerodynamic mass median diameter. The N-series will be tested against a mildly degrading aerosol of sodium chloride (NaCl). The R- and P-series filters will be tested against a highly degrading aerosol of dioctylphthalate (DOP):

• http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/dtopics/infectioncontrol/ppe/comp/n95.html

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/usernotices/pdfs/Nanoguard062906.pdf  Nanoguard Warning

This is a mask I found on the net that has been tested with biological agents as well as having an antimicrobial property in the filtration media.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 4:40pm
    There are many more problems with mask selection than just particle size.  In my industry (Chemical) Niosh tests require that aside from proper respirator selection, first and foremost is proper fit.  A very elaborate fit test has to be conducted for every employee and then the employee has to be certified in the proper use and care of the respirator.  If it don't fit right it's virtually useless.  As far as N95 masks I'm more concerned, they should do the job when the person in front of me blows a big sneeze.  Coughs and sneezes can create a vapor mist cloud that can cover over 6 feet.  Droplets of stuff are at play here and the masks I hope will do the trick.  Don't forget the eye protection (whole other topic).  If we are truly going to be needing protection against .03 micron germs, we're all toast and might as well enjoy the party while it lasts.  Seriously, as far as I can gather, we should do well if anything by just washing our hands, social distancing and keeping our fingers out of our mouths - No more thumb sucking starting NOW!
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 4:45pm
    "social distancing and keeping our fingers out of our mouths - No more thumb sucking starting NOW!"

This hadn't occurred to me before - think of all the people who bite their fingernails!

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 7:06pm
    I think I'll just duct-tape my face, then.

Geezzz.....
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 7:42pm
    Originally posted by aurora aurora wrote:

"social distancing and keeping our fingers out of our mouths - No more thumb sucking starting NOW!"

This hadn't occurred to me before - think of all the people who bite their fingernails!

Pick Your Nose 3 

starfire View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 11:06pm
    Oh thats so cute 4thegirls.Hahahaha
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 7:21am

4 thegirls,

Thanks for the update.  I originally left the picking part out of my post since we will all be wearing masks most of the time.  But since that and thumb sucking can be an involuntary action, I think 'gettingready' has a good point - we will require duct tape AND dust masks to prevent both!

Aurora - nail biters will certainly have well rounded immune systems, not such a bad thing during times like these.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:10pm
    We aren't trying to replicate a level 4 biocantainment lab with an N95 Mask. We are trying to prevent breathing virus containing water based mist particulates from being breathed in to our lungs. As in someone coughs or sneezes. Virus doesn't swim through the air on their own, they are contained in water / mucous droplets when someone who is infected sneezes and coughs.
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic