Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Mormon cannery/storehouse..Location Near me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mormon cannery/storehouse..Location Near me?
    Posted: July 27 2006 at 4:08pm
Mormon cannery/storehouse.  I've seen this more than once where on this forum people  have gotten supplies from the Mormon Cannery/storehouse.

How did you go about finding a place like this.

I live in Rock Tavern, New York....
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 5:28pm

Ask any of your LDS neighbors ... or, look in the yellow pages or google on your internet, under LDS cannery ... should help get you there.

Then, simply explain about your interest in food storage, and you've heard that some LDS cannery's will let outside people can their foods as well.  They will let you know if they do, or if they don't ~ all cannerys are run differently.  But, they have schedules to go by, and a list of foods that can be safely canned.  And, usually you will be asked to help can extra food besides your own and with cleaning up.  You will have to pay a small fee for the can and oxygen packets.
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 1:23pm
Thank you I looked it up there nothing in my area, but I appreciate your help. Smile
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 7:11pm
there has to be some place nearby ... NY is wher alot of the LDS members head to for historical places and events ...
hmmm ... might be out alittle further, maybe.  I think the place was called Palmyra or something like that ... I hear LDS members talking about visiting that place ... maybe it's a smaller membership than the western states here? 
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 7:25pm

I see they are called-LDS Bishop's Storehouses.

I remember others posting on this... go to search at the top of the page and hit ..all forums.. and type in Mormon.

"..but some churches will also have their own local facilities..."

There is a Mormon Church near and I think I will ask them their thoughts on the situation.

Here is the site I found-

If you find that you have a cannery within striking distance then give them a call. Inquire about whether they allow non-church members to use the facilities, available times, what you need to provide and what is not suitable for canning. Be up front and honest with them, you'll hardly be the first one to want to talk to them about food storage.

Ask for a copy of the cannery guidelines and a price list of what is available. There may also be classes or seminars available. There is a certain degree of variability between the canneries so what is available at one may not be at another.

emma View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 12:19am
Hello All! I am not new to this forum but have never posted. I mostly look for info. I did find this site if it will help anyone.

It says that it is current as of May this year.

bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 2:33am
Originally posted by HappyCamper HappyCamper wrote:

Mormon cannery/storehouse. I've seen this more than once where on this forum people have gotten supplies from the Mormon Cannery/storehouse.

How did you go about finding a place like this.

[
I live in Rock Tavern, New York....

HappyCamper,

There is only one Cannery listed in New York, it is about a 5 hour drive from Rock Tavern. The closest one to you would be in Piscataway, NJ. It is about a 1 hour & 45 minute drive.
(732) 248-7606
121 Ethel Rd W Unit 7
Piscataway , New Jersey 08854
DIRECTIONS TO CANNERY

The Bishop Storehouse is different from a Cannery, it is a food bank for LDS members. But some of the Bishop Storehouses have Cannery's attached to them.

Good Luck!

"IN THE BEGINNING OF A CHANGE THE PATRIOT IS A SCARCE MAN, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot. Mark Twain, 1904
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 1:48pm
Happy Camper or others.  I'm a member of the LDS church.  My best suggestion if you don't have a cannery nearby is to find a Mormon Bishop in your area.  The church members in your area should have access to purchasing food storage items from the church even if they don't live near a cannery.  They may ship supplies in mylar bags (rather than cans) from Salt Lake OR from a cannery nearby.  The Bishop should be able to tell you what the process is for ordering.  Also local congregations sometimes buy emergency items in bulk for the members, or have experts come and teach on emergency prep or storing/using food storage and you could probably get in on that as well.  

You can get a phone number to the meetinghouse nearest you at http://www.lds.org/basicbeliefs/meetinghouse/1,6017,352-1,FF.html.  There is not always someone there to answer the phones however, so you can also try calling the closest temple at http://www.lds.org/temples/geographical/0,11380,1899-1,00.html.  (And there are temples in Palmyra and in Manhatten)

Feel free to let me know if you have questions!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 6:06pm

I just came back to my question...Thank you all so much for your time and effort to helping me with this...I only had one response for a while...Figured that's all I was going to get...

Bellanca I know where piscataway is.  I live in NJ before moving to NY  Thank you.  I know you spent time on looking this up for me...Thanks..So much.

Slocum  It's very kind of you to help out as well.  Thanks for all the information.  It really does help.

Angara Thank you as welll...I can't wait to start to research this information you've given me...

Emma...Welcome and thank you for speaking up...I know how hard it is to watch and read and then finally join in on the coversation... 
I hope to help you as well if I can.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 5:28am
Emma, thanks for the list - it's very helpful.  Welcome and please jump in more often! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic