Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

It is getting worse isn’t it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It is getting worse isn’t it?
    Posted: July 28 2006 at 5:34pm
I go through stages where I alternate between 1) Maybe it won't happen. Maybe we will get lucky.  2) It is probably going to happen but we still have time to prepare, don't we?  3) This could happen really soon and be really awful.  Up until recently I was leaning towards 2).  Now I just can't get rid of this nagging feeling that it is getting worse really fast.  Does anyone else feel that way?  That news, from over that-a-way is that villagers have empty cages and have been witnessing unreported bird die offs for months.  I guess this is what has unnerved me again.  There has also been some talk of this fall being a time of greater concern.  Then we have more people sick with Dengue than usual don't we?  From what I understand we have lots of different creatures that can get the avian flu.  Earthquakes and tsunamis in that area are just too cruel.  Am I over-reacting or is it getting worse? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 5:50pm
CGal,

I think its normal for just about everyone to go from one extreme to another.  I know I do.  Sometimes I look at all these boxes and think I could have bought a really nice pop-up camper and me and the kid could be out having a good time.  But for the last week I've been looking at the overseas news and thanking whatever diety that I have all this stuff.  We are dealing with an unknown, and that alone breeds anxiety in anyone, even well balanced folks.   A friend of mine who is also trying to prep and I were takling the other day and I told him that at this point in my life, and the way the world seems to be turning, that I am going to consider prepping just a normal way of life from now on.  I've got a years worth for my son and I, and I'm still adding.  At some point, I go into rotation mode, but I will not go below that 1 year mark unless something really major happens to me.  My goal now is to get out of this crackerbox I live in and get a decent home, with a dedicated  preparation room.  I dont know if it will happen unitil I can quit paying my ex-wife, but as soon as I am relieved of that responsibility,  I'll get into a more ideal housing situation.  So, after this disjointed diatribe, I would not worry about your swinging from one extreme to another:  just be glad you have the foresight and responsibility to be concerned.  %97 of the population isn't.  Just don't let it  dominate your life. 

Here endeth the lesson!     Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:01pm
ColoradoGirl,
I agree with TwoWolf, most of us have gone through the stages, and I imagine I will continue. Eventually you'll settle down and just remain vigilant. It sounds like you're pretty well prepared so just watch. At this point it is still possible we may not see the pandemic start until next year. No one knows not even the experts. It is probably inevitable that H5 will go pandemic and most experts think it will, but the truth is no one knows for sure when.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:32pm
Did you see my post on the birds that died in China?  many many have been culled over there for yrs.  And we don't have that here, have no pandemic as yet.  Perhaps they have filled so many people with varius strains H?N? over the yrs that it won't be a large human die off as predicted.  It is in the underdeveloped countries that will be hit hard... where there are quakes and fevers and poverty.

We can imagine how far strained WHO must be and yet they seem to be doing well if we read all their published info.  They seem to be everywhere.

Please don't worry until there are groups of 30 plus people springing up all over an area.   Right now in Thailand it looks like groups of 5, take one or 2.  And that is only if they find it to be a varient of H5N1, it could be Dengue Fever
or something else.
over
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 6:34pm
from WHO..

Once cases begin to be identified as a new influenza strain,
the disease may spread very rapidly, beyond family members and health care personnel, into the general population. This will be the start of a pandemic. Next, we will likely see dozens of cases being reported in a single day, followed by hundreds. Once the pandemic starts, it will be nearly impossible for any surveillance system to miss it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:47pm
ColoradoGal, I am concerned enough to take action but worry is just too draining. I need all the energy I can muster up. So this is how I deal with it. I plan on taking a long vacation at home. I'm working hard to do that. Perhaps I will get around to quilting quilts and reading a stack of books. I don't plan on sitting in front of a TV all day (if it works) because there will be very little I can do about anything. They say that 99% of the things we worry about never come to pass. I sure hope this is one of them.
Good luck.
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 10:09pm
Cgal, I doubt that it will ever get anywhere near a "Michael Crichton-esque" scenario - but the consequences are just too dire NOT to prepare.  With two little girls totally dependant on me, there's no way I wouldn't get ready for the worst.  I don't waver or vaccilate; I really don't think that this is the Apocalypse.  But I could be wrong, and that's what bothers me.
Plus- when the flu blows over and nothing happened - THINK of the donation you'll be able to give to the local  Food Bank!! 

Do the right thing - Prep.  
brianages View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 3:57am
CGal,

It is normal to raise your alert level to different levels based on different and varying news reports. The trick is to sit back and let the information digest for a few days thus placing it on the back burner.

Prepping is smart and needed in today's world. If it became a dangerous and imminent danger it will be on every media outlet known to man.

Right now it is something that can happen along with another dozen or so serious dangers. When something hits the 50/50 scale I start to prepare as my little insurance policy. We prepped for a 6 month "stay at home" a few months ago.

Our lives go on as normal knowing we can handle a rough situation.
Brian Ages - Tybee Island - GA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 4:05am
Cgal,
It is a serious situation to be sure, keep prepping and remember that in 1918 not everyone died or we wouldn't be here now. We prep because we see the need to have a supply of food and water, not only for B/F but in case of job loss (the economy isn't great right now) or inclement weather (blizzards, earthquakes, tornados and hurricanes) or even (May God forbid) a terrorist attack, any of the above could cause a disruption tto our food supply. It is prudent to look at the possibilities and plan accordingly.  Jo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic