Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - mixed bir flu strain doesn’t spread easily ????
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

mixed bir flu strain doesn’t spread easily ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 9:37pm
Thank you medclinician - very telling.  First, they're still citing the same research (as if nothing has been done since then)  Second, the research is at least a year old if it was in a briefing last August  - it may be alot older (was there an actual date given for the study?)  Third, the study used a strain from 1997, when it was just beginning to develop into the deadly form we have today, and Fourth, they've already said it would basically take "years of work to go through all the reassortments" (which basically covers their rear if they don't get any more results out soon).  Maybe I'm just an impatient person who wants to eat chicken and quit stuffing canned goods under my bed, but you would think they'd be anxious to bring up the ongoing research in this area IF IT CONFIRMED what has already been done. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 11:12am

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/panflu/index.html

Hybrid avian-human flu virus didn't spread in lab study
Robert Roos News Editor

Jul 31, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – In an experiment designed to mimic events that could launch an influenza pandemic, a synthetic influenza virus made by combining an H5N1 avian flu virus with a human flu virus turned out to be no more contagious in an animal model than the natural H5N1 virus, US scientists are reporting this week.

Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) made two hybrid viruses and infected ferrets with them, according to a report to be published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The viruses failed to spread from infected ferrets to healthy ones in neighboring cages.

"We found that they [the viruses] were not able to transmit efficiently," said CDC researcher Dr. Jackie Katz, speaking at a Jul 28 teleconference. "In fact, they were also not as able to cause severe disease as the original H5N1 virus."

The deadly H5N1 virus has infected 232 people and killed 134 since late 2003, but it has not yet found a way to spread easily from person to person. But scientists fear the virus could pick up that ability if it combined, or reassorted, with a human flu virus, which could happen if someone became infected with both types simultaneously. The CDC set out to create such a hybrid and test it in ferrets. The animals are considered good models for flu virus research because their susceptibility to flu viruses is similar to that of humans.

CDC officials cautioned against taking much comfort from the experimental results. Although the synthetic hybrid didn't spread among the ferrets in the experiments so far, that doesn't mean the scenario couldn't happen in nature, they said. (Also, experts say the H5N1 virus could become transmissible through accumulated small mutations, without reassortment.)

"These data do not mean that H5N1 cannot convert to be transmissible from person to person; they mean it's probably not a simple process and more than simple genetic exchanges are necessary," CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberdng said at the teleconference.

The H5N1 virus used in the study was a strain collected in 1997, when the pathogen first infected humans in Hong Kong. The human flu virus used in the study was an H3N2 strain, which has been common in recent decades. The research involved four steps, according to Katz.

First, investigators assessed whether the H3N2 and H5N1 viruses would spread in ferrets, whose cages were arranged so that viruses could spread via respiratory droplets. The human virus did spread efficiently, whereas the avian virus didn't, which signaled that the ferrets were serving as good models for human infection, Katz said.

The next step was to generate reassortant viruses. "We made two viruses that contained surface protein genes from the H5N1 virus and internal genes from the human H3N2 virus," Katz said. "We found we could make these viruses and that some of them were viable."

Third, the scientists infected some ferrets with the hybrid viruses and waited to see if they would spread to healthy ferrets. The hybrid viruses caused less severe illness than the original H5N1 strain, and they failed to spread.

Finally, the investigators wanted to know if the hybrid viruses would naturally mutate to become more transmissible if they were passed through several ferrets in succession. So the researchers infected ferrets and, after the ferrets showed symptoms, took nasal secretions and used them to infect other ferrets, repeating this step five times. Further, the researchers assessed whether the virus could spread more easily after all these generations or "passages."

"We found that the virus did not acquire any additional capacity to transmit efficiently from infected ferrets to healthy ferrets," Katz said.

Katz didn't explain why the CDC used a 1997 strain of H5N1 instead of a more recent strain, but said more recent isolates will be used in further experiments. Later versions of both H5N1 and H3N2 will be used to make further hybrids for testing in ferrets, she said. Scientists have identified a number of mutations in the H5N1 virus since 1997.

"We did test the more recent strains [of H5N1] for their ability to transmit, and like the 1997 strains, they could not transmit efficiently from one animal to the next," she said. "We need to continue to study this."

The CDC officials were asked whether reassortment "dumbs down" or weakens the virus. Katz replied that the hybrids were less virulent than H5N1, but cautioned that the results apply only to the 1997 strain.

Gerberding commented, "The pandemics of 1957 and 1968 were caused by reassortant viruses. Those were not dumb viruses."

In answering other questions, Katz said some scientists believe the 1918 pandemic virus, unlike the 1957 and 1968 viruses, arose through slowly accumulating mutations in an avian virus rather than through a reassortment event. "We're looking at the approach of the 1957 and 1968 pandemics where there was a more sudden change," she said.

The most important lesson of the research so far, according to Katz, is "the knowledge that this process isn't simple, the procedure for the virus to acquire the properties of transmissibility."

She said the CDC also created a hybrid that involved H3N2 virus surface proteins and H5N1 internal genes—the reverse of the hybrid she first described—and "that was not sufficient for transmissibility either. . . . That points to the fact that it's a complex interaction of the surface genes and the internal genes."

Gerberding warned that the findings shouldn't lead to complacency.

"I'm not reassured from the public health perspective," she said. "This virus is still out there, it's still evolving, and influenza is always unpredictable. . . . So let's not use the word 'reassuring' with respect to what might happen with H5N1."

Because of the risk that the reassortant viruses could spread, the research was done under stringent containment, involving Biosafety Level 3 with extra precautions, Katz said.

Maines TR, Chen LM, Matsuoka Y, et al. Lack of transmission of H5N1 avian-human reassortant influenza viruses in a ferret model. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2006 (published online Jul 31) [Abstract]

See also:

Jan 14, 2005, CIDRAP News story "CDC to mix avian, human flu viruses in pandemic study"

Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy
Academic Health Center -- University of Minnesota
Copyright © 2006 Regents of the University of Minnesota

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 11:15am
"Katz didn't explain why the CDC used a 1997 strain of H5N1 instead of a more recent strain, but said more recent isolates will be used in further experiments. Later versions of both H5N1 and H3N2 will be used to make further hybrids for testing in ferrets, she said. Scientists have identified a number of mutations in the H5N1 virus since 1997. "

Well, what was the frackin point than?!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 12:25pm

Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 1:49pm
This is the first time that I read this particular thread...I don't believe you guys.  None of you appear to have taken this as Good News.  Sure, they weren't able to combine the strains in a Petri Dish, but that doesn't mean that Mother Earth will find a way to strike us down via BF. 

I take this story at face value - The H5N1 virus doesn't combine readily with seasonal flu.  To me, that's good news. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 1:57pm
Samoa,

They were testing on the 1997 strain (from, you know, about 9 years ago!), of which there has been a number of mutations since then. So, they might as well have been doing their little tests on any other number of strains... Unless there is a specific reason that I have missed for their purpose of testing the 'old' strain, the results seem completly useless to me.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Samoa Samoa wrote:

This is the first time that I read this particular thread...I don't believe you guys.  None of you appear to have taken this as Good News.  Sure, they weren't able to combine the strains in a Petri Dish, but that doesn't mean that Mother Earth will find a way to strike us down via BF. 

I take this story at face value - The H5N1 virus doesn't combine readily with seasonal flu.  To me, that's good news. 

Samoa,
I don't take it as "good news", it's just news. I think that it might tend to make people more complacent, if it's possible. I am by nature not a trusting soul, and I am of the opinion that it still bears close attention. Having said that, I am very glad that it didn't make the form that was able to pass easily from animal to animal. Do I think that because it didn't happen there that it won't? No.  Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 2:39pm
Medclinician,
I am taking a watch and see stance. I just don't see this as the hopeful news others think it should be.Thank you for the post, you always give us great information. Jo
Trigger View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 4:09pm
I was told I should post this, but I'm not sure where.

I have 4 boxes of Tamiflu for sale.  Each box contains 10 - 75mg doses.  The original RX is on all boxes.  The anly altering I would do is remove my name and RX number.

I paid top $$ for these but will take $400 or best offer.  My husbvand was laid off and every $ will count at this time.  You know the mortgage, new car payments Etc....  

Please PM me.  I am honest.  I think Albert can vouch for me.

Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by jo007athome jo007athome wrote:

Medclinician,
I am taking a watch and see stance. I just don't see this as the hopeful news others think it should be.Thank you for the post, you always give us great information. Jo

I very much agree you concerning the watch and see. I would like to stress as much as I enjoy the interesting people here and informative posts, if Avian were to stop tomorrow and we had little to post on except prepping because it probably a Pandemic will come in some form, I would be content.

I might say how I feel about my country is how I feel about my significant other. Sometimes I don't like them, but I will always love them. Many a time I get a bit steamed on this or that that someone has done something I take issue with  or some difference of opinion. Yet, a few things are constant. I love my country, I would die for it as well as my profession in helping people. This is not a noble thing. I am stuck with it. As I was raised a Christian, my father was a decorated 20 year Navy veteran. When it came time to go to war, I volunteered to serve in the medical field. When people were dying, I prayed over them. I honor each person's right to believe what they wish, as long as they honor my right to believe in God and live my life with that as the highest purpose.

I don't want to see people die. I don't want there to be a plague. And I will wave the flag for the CDC, Homeland, and I support our government. I don't always like them and I don't always like the things they do. And when I don't, I vote for people who feel as I do and I hope to God will get in there and make a difference and change things.

The public can't know everything. Sometimes that will be taken advantage of  and sometimes it will protect someone in a foregin country gathering information for our side not to get killed.

Lincoln said you can't try to please all the people, all the time, or you will wind up pleasing none of the people none of the time. I can tell you having been in positions where I had people working under my supervision, sometimes, many people, being a leader in any capacity is not fun. Most times, everyone thinks they could do it better and everyone, everyone has ideas about everything.

I cannot speak for the government officially. But if I could, I would say, "We know the score. We know the danger. And  you cannot imagine the pressure and responsibility some of our leaders face every morning. They get up, wash their face, do whatever, just like you do, and yet on goes the suit, or uniform, or whatever, and they must carry the load for all of us, and make decisions they often are not able to explain for reasons they cannot tell.

I admire the millions, and there are millions of soldiers fighting, however they got there, and labs and scientists working 24/7 to stop another 9/11,plague, disease, prepare for natural and human disasters.
I am not an expert. I do research, I try to learn and share what I can with others. I gather information, I appreciate every person here who has shared not only information, but part of themselves, part of their lives, part of their fears and hopes and worries about the future. When you put yourself out there, your real self - your fear, your sadness, your loss, your aprehension in a world which can be terrifying even to the bravest. Make no mistake, even a soldier in battle rushing forward gun in hand, can be terrified. But they do it anyway - somehow.

Make no mistake. America will survive. All colors, all faiths, all ages, and cultures, and we will take on whatever demons we must - the enemy in whatever form they emerge. We are lucky to have this country. Other rogue nations are not the only ones who are willing to die for their country, take a deeper look - we are 300,000,000 strong and despite whatever has been said, we will unite against a common enemy - even try to work with other countries against Avian - and we will prevail.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 6:12pm
medclinician,

I just wanted to say.. Wonderful speech! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic