Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Aug 1st - What have you done to prepare this week?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Aug 1st - What have you done to prepare this week?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aug 1st - What have you done to prepare this week?
    Posted: August 01 2006 at 5:37pm
I thought a new month, new thread.
We finally decided which way to go for baking in a crisis and bought a propane oven. If eventually we run out of propane we'll go with the solar oven or Dutch oven on/in a fire, but first wanted to go the indoor route, since we don't know what the outdoor climate (literally and figuratively) would be.. Anyway, one less load on my mind, since I'm really counting on using all the flour etc. we have, and since my kids LOVE bread.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 5:57pm

Stopped at Walmart today to look for shelves.  My preps were getting all mixed up and hard to rotate.  Got a 4 shelve unit that I put together in 5 minutes for 9.88.  Works great.  Also they had school supplies at GREAT prices.  70 page notebooks for .10,   boxes of 24 crayola crayons for .20,  2 packs of elmer glue sticks for .20 and other goodies.  Bought a bunch for my grandchildren.  Spent the rest of the afternoon rearranging.  Now everything is back to being nice and tidy.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 6:52pm
Ive been blackberry picking they are awsome this year we may be in for a rough winter.
Annie4 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:02pm

Got a shipment today from Emergency Essentials and Internet Grocer.  I'm starting to feel really good about our preps.  This has been a busy summer!  I go back to school (teacher) next week so I wanted to be done most prepping by then.  #10 cans include:  Instant fat free milk, diced carrots, whole wheat flour, banana slices,  buttermilk biscuit mix, monterey jack shredded cheese, Chocolate Chip muffin mix, honey white bread mix, hashbrowns.  #2.5 cans include:  Celery, tomato powder, butter powder, cheese powder and sour cream powser.  I also got one of those mixer pitchers for milk from EE.

We now have enough supplies for 8 for 3 months and that doesn't include the regular food upstairs and in the freezer.  I know my kids will also have some food on hand they can bring with them.  All of this should stretch supplies to 4 months.
cathypeanut View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathypeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:44pm
Bought some more of those indian blankets.

thats all for noe
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 8:37am
I have to concentrate on back to school stuff....I won't be doing any prepping this month.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 10:03am
Still continuing to buy toilet paper and water. I feel pretty comfortable with the food amounts, but I may add more rice and pasta this month. I also want to stock up on more vitamins. I will take a look at my last minute list and see if I should do anything now. Will watch the news of a possible cluster overseas and may start on my last minute list sooner rather than later.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 11:13am
While searching for more canning jars I found a cheese topping at Big Lots for $1.60 a jar. I bought 8 . Will use that in Potato & Ham dishes.
Over the last two days I've canned the following;
Apple Butter 14 Pints, 2-8oz.
Apple Sauce   3 Pints, 10 8oz.
Apple Jelly    16- 8oz.
Ground Beef 14 Pints (2, 5.5 lb rolls of ground chuck)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 12:00pm

I'm done with all the "gotta have" items, and now am moving into the "nice to have" stuff.  Made a run to sams for 3 HUGE bags of M&M's as well as 2 HUGE bags of pistacio's, a big box of snack size oreos, peanut butter crackers etc.  The candy and nuts I'm going to vacuum seal at 1 cup per package.  They should stay good a nice long time.  I'll keep filling in with the comfort things, but the basics are done and I can quit worrying about that, and start having fun again.

crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 12:17pm
I bought a pressure canner on ebay and now have to figure out how to use it.
peace
MickiD View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickiD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:04pm
Maysday...  how many apples did it take to make the apple butter, apple sauce & jelly?  Thanks for the info on the ground chuck...  I was wondering how much I was going to have to buy.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:39pm
If you have a Whites grocery they have a big sale of their Always Save brand.Canned   veg.,soup,broths,salt,whole tomatoes,tomatoe sauce and other items for .29 each.10.lb sugar is  3.59 I will be heading there first thing in the morning.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:48pm
Another car load from SAM's.  I got a box of individually wrapped hand sanitizer wipes for my girls to use at school.  Clean your hands then wipe   down the desk.  I'm thinking they will feel goofy being the only ones to do this so we've been talking about incorporating it into a science project.  Maybe we supply their class with sanitizer and get them to clean their desks each day, and compare to a class that doesn't do this extra step.  We hope to educate the school this way! Smile  Sounds like a winner to me!

P.S.  Hurricane Chris headed to the gulf.  I'm in Southeast Texas ---  I'm prepared!      Oooh that feels good !
                                                                                                   Roll

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:55pm
4thegirls - what a great idea.  Make it a science project.  I will tell my daughter - her motherinlaw is a teacher.  Maybe we can all contact our local schools and present this idea!!!
MickiD View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickiD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 3:24pm
I haven't been able to do much this week....   I bought a few school supplies that were on sale....   .10 - .22 ea...   70 ct notebooks, pkgs of pens & pencils, posterboard, crayons, glue, glue sticks, etc.  I also had a few books I had to buy.

We're still watching for free stuff on freecycle....   we picked up some office supplies & 15-20' of chain link fencing, (2) thermos & some other misc items.

Is there anyone in the DFW area that took advantage of Albertson's closing?   I heard people were getting 60-95% off their grocery bill...   I wish I would of known last week...  I would of tried to figure out how to make the trip!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 8:11am
MickiD, sorry I'm slow to respond but have been snowed under. On the apples I had less than a bushel (in a laundry basket). The jelly is made from saving the peeling. Just remove all brown spots and I don't use core.

I added a couple of drops of red food coloring to juice from peelings for jelly and some green food coloring to apple sauce for grands. I still have a gallon of juice in the refrigerator to make more jelly when I get caught up. Hopr it helps. Good luck to all.
MickiD View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickiD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 9:30am
That's fine Maysday...  I understand...   thanks for the help...    we're going to try and get some stuff canned/dried this weekend...   we have quite a few tomatoes & zucchini from the garden.
mamooo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 10:50am
you say your all done with basis things how many months did you plan for
carol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 10:54am
Originally posted by mamooo mamooo wrote:

you say your all done with basis things how many months did you plan for

Mamoo,

If you were responding to my post, I have planned for 1 year for my Son and I.  If my 2 daughters cut and run back to daddy, things will not last as long.  But, I'll probably still add stuff on sale to supplement and stretch things out a bit.
mamooo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 11:06am
wish i had a list of what you have ,this is very mind boddling to me the more i get the more i fear i need
carol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 11:24am
I just purchased a new American pressure canner and am waiting for it to come in.  I have put up a closeable cabinet in my basement for my water that  I have stored. I have been buying freeze dried food from Honeyville Food.

At this point I do not have anyplace else to put anything. I filled up a shelving unit in my living room. I do not know where I will put the food that I will can. My husband and family think I am nuts. Only my husband is humoring me.

I am having to come up with excuses for canning the food. Oh well.

Catwoman

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 11:32am
Ask and ye shall receive:

GROUP
ITEM
STARCH
FETTUCHINI
SPAGETTI
ELBOWS
WIDE NOODLES
ZITI
FINE NOODLE
MAC AND CHEESE
POTATO CAN
POTATO FLAKE
RICE - BULK
FLAVORED POTATO
INSTANT RICE
FLAVORED RICE
CANNED CHILI STARTER
CANNED CHILI BEANS
CORN MUFFINS
FLAVORED PASTA MIX
SAUSAGE GRAVY MIX
CANNED SAUSAGE GRAVY
PIZZA SAUCE
DICED TOMOTATO
LEGUMES (DRIED)
LENTILS
SPLIT PEA
NORTHERN BEAN
PINTO
LIMA
BLACK EYE
PEANUT BUTTER
KIDNEY BEANS
REEFRIED BEANS - CAN
OILS
SHORTENING
CANOLA ETC
CANNED BUTTER
POPCORN OIL
CHEESE
VELVEETA
AMERICAN
CANNED
POUCH
DRIED MILK
EVAPORATED MILK
MEATS/CANNED
TUNA
HAM
DRIED BEEF
CHICKEN
TURKEY SMALL
SPAM
CORNED BEEF
SHRIMP
CHILI
HASH
ROAST BEEF
STEW large
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
LG CAN BEEF/GRAVY
LG CAN CHICKEN / GRAVY
LG CAN TURKEY/GRAVY
LG CAN  PORK / GRAVY
CAN GROUND BEEF
1 LB HAMS
TURKEY SPAM
VIENNA SAUSAGES
SMALL STEW
chicken a la king
SALTINES
BLACK BREAD
CEREALS
BARLEY
GRITS
CORN MEAL
OATMEAL/BULK
FLOUR
WHITE
BREAD
RYE
WHOLE WHEAT
BISQUICK
CORN FLOUR (MASA HARINA)
PIE CRUST MIX
SOUP BASE
BEEF
CHICKEN
CAMPBELS SOUP
VEGTABLES / CANNED
BAKED BEANS
SPAGETTI SAUCE - SMALL
JELLY - LARGE
CANNED FRUITS
PIE FILLINGS
POPCORN
COFFEE
COFFEE GROUND
POWDERED CREAMER
TEA
SUGAR
SALT
SYRUP
YEAST
BAKING SODA
BAKING POWDER RUMSFORD
POWDERED EGGS
TOILET PAPER
PAPER TOWELS
DISH SOAP
LAUNDRY SOAP
BAR SOAP
SHAMPOO
DEODORANT
GARBAGE BAGS
TOOTH PASTE
TOOTHBRUSH
MOUTHWASH
KITTY LITTER
DRINK  MIX
HAND CREAM
BAND AIDS
TUMS
ACID REDUCER TABLETS
ASPRIN
TYLENOL
NAPROXEN
SLEEP AID
IBUPROPHEN
IMMODIUM
RAZORS
MULTIVITAMINS
EYE DROPS
NASAL SPRAY
COLD MEDICINES
NYQUIL
COUGH DROPS
NEOSPORIN
LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
DRIED FRUITS

TThis list does not include  equipment or special tools (generator, Propane, gas etc.).  only food.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 3:41pm
Our new tri-fuel generator just arrived!!SmileSmileSmile DH is how outside checking it out.  Next step to get the propane tanks.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 6:09pm
 hi to all, went to wally world today with my sister, 2 cans coffee, ,2 jars bacon bits,3 jugs water,6 cans of tuna,2 cans tomatoe soup, 2 bags caNARY BIRD SEED, lg bag dog food, 2 pkgs socks,bra,  8 bar towels.pot holder  , 3 kitchen rugs ,flea spray, my 2 dogs have fleas, ugh!!!!!, also went to the grocery store, 4 apple juice 1$each,  tissues, dish soap, 3  eight packs of batteries D,C's, power may go out East coast,  i have generator, I want to be able to have tv and radio, fan, to last a few days with out useing the generator all day I brought all the specials and saved some money, prices are out of this world, alot of empty carts in the stores. the garden is dying  from the rain we had , that brought all kinds of bugs and blight{ did I spell that right?/\} and now the heat. God  bless the American farmer, to bring in a healthy crop. is hard work, and a alot of luck.,. i did every thing to save my garden, the only plants producing are the beans, will see if it rebounds. by the way it's not only my garden , everyone is complaining, bad year. best of luck roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 5:48am

Going to Walmart today to buy a jar of misc. buttons!!!!  Going on vacation and husband lost a button on a pair of shorts he wanted to take.  Will also stock up on other sewing and mending supplies.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 6:52am
gghugs, heres an idea. My mother always saved the buttons off discarded clothes. I still have a jar and she died a long time ago. Most of the buttons look the same as todays! I have found myself using out of that jar over and over.
Good luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 7:01am
Thanks Maysday - Never thought of that.  It will soon be time to go through closets changing from summer to winter and good time to "harvest buttons"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 8:38am
I have added additional food and water preps to my inventory. Also, have been getting my child ready for college. Plan on taking my entire crew for the pneumovax 23 this week. Made copies of all important documents and placed in a plastic air tight container. Called schools to check on newly updated disaster preparedness plans. And, lastly listened to my Annie Lennox collection -- spending a little time playing like a "grasshopper in the sun." with my kids. We are building a town center.
femvet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 10:46am
Grand-daughter is here for her annual visit, so not much added. found some good deals at Big Lots, rolled polenta, vitamins, Beef jerky, and jams. Bought some more beans, canned goods at the dollar store.
I desperately need a shelving system, thinking about one of those closed ones from Osh, so the food isn't so visible and the kitchen looks neater. I'm planning on a big surge after the family leaves. Starting to get that hinky feeling.
Prep on!
Namaste
martha View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 2:06pm
I love lists and enjoy reading them .  
GreenTeam View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 6:47pm
This week I got my first delivery from Amazon grocery: mac n cheese, beef stew, and granola cereal! I also placed my second order: chili and granola bars. In a few days I'll place another order, as I want to take advantage of their $10 off deal as many times as possible.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 7:32pm
i got a  metal shelves at walmart for 12.88,  6 bottles of giner ale,2 bottles of syrup, 2 boxes of rice, 2 bags of brown sugar, 2 bags of white sugar, spaghetti, gravy mixes, and mac n cheese today.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 8:52pm
  I haven't been prepping much to past two weeks.  I'm just about done, but I said that back in Feb. I remember saying I was done in May.  I always seem to find something else to add.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Today I bought 5 cans of black pepper, 2 bathroom plungers, 5 cans of air freshner and a few more candles.  Next Fri. I will be leaving to go to my Family reunion in Calif. Will be gone two weeks.  I can really use the down time, but the other part of me want's to use the money for more preps..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 9:46pm
Canned the rest of the jelly. 6 pints & 12- 8 oz.jars.

Bought 2- 10 lb bags of chicken legs and thighs ($3.99 each) at a local grocery (local chicken, too) and canned "bone in." Yeild 14 quarts. This is kind of like baked in the jar (no water added) and will be used many ways will even make chicken salad, dressing, dumplings, Bar-B-Q, etc.

Sam's list;
another box of TP, 10 pk box of Kleenex, 50 lbs sugar, 4 more cans of coffee, 50 lbs dog food.

Big Lot's;
6 more dozen assorted canning jars, (because nobody returns my jars.)

Good luck to all.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 10:16pm

On a tight budget , shop week to week , so at the end of the week I grab what ever is left in pantry and I pack these away , same in bathroom and cleaning cupboard all are unopened and now they are boxed its out of sight out of mind . Then I just have to make do with what we got , for the current week , its the only way I can get a prep food cupboard happening , then add $20 per week of one thing eg toilet paper , bleach etc . Hope this helps anyone just starting , or wadeing slowly . Big smile 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 7:59am
Originally posted by carolina kid carolina kid wrote:

Ive been blackberry picking they are awsome this year we may be in for a rough winter.

My thoughts exactly.  I live at 10,000 feet in Colorado and there are wild raspberries all over the place.  We have had so much rain in the section where I am.  Everything is lush and green and flowering.  The bears are very, very active right now and that is unusual with so much food and privacy available at say 12,000 to 14,000 feet.  Why are they down so early?  Makes me wonder if we are going to have a rough winter.  I had my first close bear encounter the other day.  Oh, sure I have seen them before but not so close up.  I came around the corner of the building and walked maybe four feet from it.  Looked up and about twenty feet from me was a bear.  A big fat cinnamon colored bear with a fur coat that looked like it came from Dicker and Dicker.  She stood up tall to smell me.  Her baby bear was running through my sheets drying on the line.  So lets see.....never startle a bear (I did.), never approach a mom with a cub (Oh, God.  I did.) and don't run.  The door was only four feet from me.  Guess what I did?  That's right.  I ran.  Four feet....maybe it was more like a hop because I don't ever remember my feet hitting the ground.  Hope it isn't a hard winter but the bears are everywhere way too early.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 8:26am
I have not purchased a whole lot this week, more puppy food (we got 2 new lab puppies this week), dog treats, creamed soups, more bleach. I need to try to get to Big Lots since alot of people seem to be finding some good items there! Am going to try to get one of those screened in tent things for a safe potty area for the dogs, just in case it is the birds spreading it and not the people, I really feel it will be the people spreading it here (but want to be ready just in case for anything), I figure they will go on sale soon, since the summer season will be over soon. I also got a yard sprayer (which the vet recommended spraying the yard with bleach water to kill any possible germs left from the other puppy that died, since we never knew what he died from) and did learn how to bleach my yard, so if I need to do that again for sanitization pursposes, I can spray the patios, porches, yard, etc. So I do feel good about that!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 12:09pm
36 cans each of corn,cream corn,and peas.2 boxes of  baby wipes,2 cans of formula.And I found out they are putting a Sams about 10 minutes from where I live.
gretchen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by CabinLass CabinLass wrote:

Originally posted by carolina kid carolina kid wrote:

My thoughts exactly.  I live at 10,000 feet in Colorado and there are wild raspberries all over the place.  We have had so much rain in the section where I am.  Everything is lush and green and flowering.  The bears are very, very active right now and that is unusual with so much food and privacy available at say 12,000 to 14,000 feet.  Why are they down so early?  Makes me wonder if we are going to have a rough winter.  I had my first close bear encounter the other day.  Oh, sure I have seen them before but not so close up.  I came around the corner of the building and walked maybe four feet from it.  Looked up and about twenty feet from me was a bear.  A big fat cinnamon colored bear with a fur coat that looked like it came from Dicker and Dicker.  She stood up tall to smell me.  Her baby bear was running through my sheets drying on the line.  So lets see.....never startle a bear (I did.), never approach a mom with a cub (Oh, God.  I did.) and don't run.  The door was only four feet from me.  Guess what I did?  That's right.  I ran.  Four feet....maybe it was more like a hop because I don't ever remember my feet hitting the ground.  Hope it isn't a hard winter but the bears are everywhere way too early.

Wow CabinLass, that had to be scary!  Glad you are okay.
martha View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 12:50pm
Dog food is so expensive I may start making dog biscuits , like hard tack , so that they  last long. 

I am looking for resipies

gretchen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 2:55pm
I have done very little prepping this week-shopping for my granddaughter's second birthday.
I did pick up a large jar of peanut better and two cans of Dinty Moore beef stew.   At least it is something.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 3:10pm
Martha, last weekend in the newspaper they had a Proctor & Gamble coupon insert, in that insert was a coupon for a FREE package of Iams Tartar Treats for dogs, nothing else to buy, totally free, the coupon is values at $6.00. I went to my recycling center and they always let me get the coupons out of the newspapers and I ended up with about 15-20 inserts, meaning 15-20 free bags of dog treats. If you haven't thrown last weeks newspaper (Sunday) away yet check it, then you can ask all your friends and relatives for theirs too. It's a cheap/free way to get dog treats.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 11:42pm
Canned Spaghetti Sauce, 8 pints.

With this I am just going to regroup and work on storage for a few days. Overall in pretty good shape.
Beef prices are expected to fall as they are sending beef to the market earlier because of drought. May buy cheaper closer to winter.
Many vegetables are cheaper to stock up on from the store because of low crop yield resulting in higher prices this year. This is the best time to buy enough canned fruits and vegetables to last until another season.
Good luck to all.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 8:08pm
 Today I bought more can milk, more instant dry milk, 2 boexes of rubber cloves, 2 jars of vaseline,4 quarts of white grape juice, more sugar and, 15 sets of under clothes.  I will stock up on hubby under wear next month.
maryanne View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 10:21pm
I bought 20 packs of pasta  thin noodles
              40 cans of tuna
               29 cans of peaches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic