Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

OT-Are there any viruses going around-USA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT-Are there any viruses going around-USA?
    Posted: August 08 2006 at 8:23am
Curious if anyone knows of any viruses going around (We live in Central Wisconsin), cold, flu, whatever..?

Our cat started sneezing yesterday (never sneezed before in her life that I am aware), and she just didn't act like her normal self.. Then this morning my husband started feeling pretty ill (took the day off work). Sore throat, nasal congestion, headache, and keeps coughing up phlem.

Anybody know of anything going around??

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 8:45am
Although the odds are very long -- a cat can get Avian Flu from eating an infected bird. Also, given perfect conditions (and a mutated virus) a human could get the virus from the cat.
Have you husband see a doctor and relax.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 11:24am
Something new is going around with dogs, puppies in particular. Our puppy died about three weeks ago and the vet said all the tests he did on the dog came out negative, said it has to be a new strain of something, but he doesn't know what. He treated our dog with IV antibiotics and TAMIFLU and the dog did not live, some type of respiratory thing(I didn't find this out until this week when I took our new puppies in). He had 3 dogs in the past month with the same thing. Anyway, he told us to bleach our yard and house, so I sprayed down the yard with bleach water two times, three times in some places, we also had to clean then bleach all the carpets, did them three times, bleach all the floors, bedding, clothing that was on the floor, etc. We found 2 Lab puppies at the animal shelter and in talking with them, they also said they have been seeing the same virus in puppies, negative tests, don't know what the virus is, but they are dying from it. Hopefully these puppies will be ok, we shall see, the vet says we are taking chances with getting them from the shelter since they could have been exposed to anything there, says we should know something in 10 days if they are going to come down with something, so far this is day 5. Precautions we have to take from the vet, take our shoes off at the door, only take the puppies to the potty in a very small section of the yard, they can play inside with us supervising, but need to be in their kennel most of the time (in the house)in order to cut down exposure to anything until they have been fully vaccinated, they can't walk on the ground when they go to the vet, they have to be carried, and we have to spray any shoes with bleach water that come into the house.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 1:35pm
Our cat is getting worse, and husband a little as well.

I just so happened to have a checkup today, asked the Dr. if there was anything 'going around' and he said nope.

Well, not sure what the cat and my husband have (too coincidental that they have non-related illnesses..). Will let you all know how things progress.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 4:03pm
If other animals <horses can get West Nile then you would think dogs , cats can as they are  affected by other virus's mossies  carry .
Just wondering .

By 2004 WNV had spread to the west coast of the United States; in early 2004 the first confirmed case of WNV was reported in California, including one death. By the end of 2005, WNV had spread to all areas of the country except Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.

Map illustrating distribution of avian, animal, or mosquito infection.

Figure 2     2005 West Nile Virus Activity in the United States. This map reflects surveillance findings occurring between January 1, 2005 and December 31, 2005, as reported to CDC's ArboNET system for public distribution by state and local health departments. (CDC, 2006b)

janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 5:49pm
Here in Mich we have an upper resp virus going around. Kids are getting hit hard. It has ear and eye infections with it. Goes away in a few days though.

Wonder what the dogs are coming down with, Last year I remember something about a new virus that had jumped from horses. Wonder if that could be it.
Ferocia View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferocia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 7:23pm

I believe the virus that has jumped from horses to dogs is an influenza.  We vaccinate all our horses and ponies for influenza but we have nonetheless had an inordinate number of upper respiratory illnesses.  We nearly lost  a valuable broodmare to an infection that settled in the salivary gland and I had never before seen anything like it. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 3:41am
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060831/NEWS/608310400

A Jackson neurologist accused the state Department of Health Wednesday of underreporting by almost half the number of West Nile virus cases in Mississippi.

Dr. Art Leis, a clinical professor of neurology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, told the Senate Public Health Committee the number of West Nile cases over the past year is 31, but the real number should be 60.

The department failed to report 29 of those cases, many from the Hattiesburg area, he said. "They were literally erasing the numbers. I don't know why."

Failing to inform the public posed a major risk to citizens who could have taken steps to avoid the disease such as using spray repellent, he said.

During a break, state Sen. J. Ed Morgan, R-Hattiesburg, expressed dismay. "When things get to the point of almost an epidemic, there's a requirement to get that information to the public," he said.

Department officials said they'll answer all questions raised Wednesday when the hearing resumes at 9 a.m. today at the state Capitol.

A four-month investigation by The Clarion-Ledger, published in June, revealed a myriad of department woes, including failing to adequately inform doctors and the public about disease outbreaks.

Senate Public Health Chairman Alan Nunnelee called the hearings because of issues the newspaper raised as well as a critical report of the agency by the Joint Legislative Committee for Performance Evaluation and Expenditure Review.

Before Hurricane Katrina, Leis told the committee he went on TV to warn residents of the increased risk of West Nile virus cases - only to be corrected by Health Department officials, who said there was no increased risk of the disease. The numbers prove his prediction was right, he said. "If this were a report card, I would give them a D.'"

Pansy Maddox, who as district environmentalist oversees food and water inspections on the Gulf Coast, testified a top official told her she could no longer fail restaurants.

In one meeting, she said State Health Officer Dr. Brian Amy remarked that "he worked for the (state) Board of Health and did what the Board of Health told him to do. He told us if the board wanted to approve cardboard boxes for septic tanks, we would have to approve cardboard boxes."

Dr. Vafa Kamali of Hattiesburg, who previously worked as a director under Amy, said Amy had "wonderful ideas" that quickly faded away because they were never carried out. Under Amy, the Health Department turned into a place of intimidation, he said. "When you give the perception that nobody can come close to you, you create an environment of fear."

Tommy Williams of Philadelphia, who oversaw two of Mississippi's nine health districts before retiring recently, said there was a problem with management style - "no direction, no planning, reactionary, unwilling to capitalize on the experience of the staff." The current administration is "constructed on a facade based on superficial responses," said Williams, who had worked for the department 32 years. "We have had to cancel clinics to train people in order for Dr. Amy to say we were the first state to complete training." Despite warnings regarding bird flu, he said top department officials announced, "We will have no role in the pandemic flu."

Brenda Horne, who retired as a supervisory nurse at the Health Department clinic in Kosciusko in 2004, testified she worries Mississippi's poorest are no longer getting the care they need. She said she regularly gets calls from patients at the clinic, now open only two days a week instead of four. Two nurses are now doing the work of five. "The foot soldiers on the front lines are the ones who feel they're not worthwhile," Horne said.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 7:50am
Our other puppy died from a virus of some sort, and our two new puppies also got the same thing, however they both lived. We did everything the vet suggested, bleaching the yard, house, everything and he said that probably weakened whatever it was they picked up, plus the fact that we got them into the vet within a couple of hours of the first signs of illness (vomiting) and the vet started them on Tamiflu and antibiotics, both responded quickly and have been home again for about 10 days doing great. I would really just like to know what it is they are picking up, so as to avoid it. We are still bleaching the yard once a week, taking shoes off outside and spraying with bleach so we kill any germs brought from other places. I am wondering if it is some type of influenza? Vet still doesn't know what it was, all tests are negative, he didn't mention any other pet deaths (he is a friend and also does large farm animals and didn't mention any farm animal deaths either). Is the vets Tamiflu the same as people would take? One puppy was sick in the hospital for 3 days and was on the standard "store bought" Tamiflu (I still have the bottle in the fridge), the second puppy was only in overnight and my friend said he mixed up his own Tamiflu and made it stronger than the type he purchased, and the dog responded much faster. Of course we don't know if that was it or the difference in puppies (he was a larger, the largest of the pack anyway out of 7 puppies) or the difference in the meds.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 7:34pm
Candles, Dogs can not get West Nile according to our State Vet. He said they tried giving the virus to dogs but they couldn't. I don't know about cats.
I called the State vet after finding one of my dogs eating a dead Blue Jay about 4 years ago. There is a lot of West Nile in our area and has been for a while.
People are always getting some kind of virus's. My granson today was taken to the doctor and we were told he has a throat virus but it is not strep throat.
Also heard something about a virus going around among a store full of employees. But not really out of the ordinary. A few weeks ago it was a town full of people with something.
Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 9:00am
Hi maysday , no wasn't posting re dogs and west nile .The Doc who was blasting the fact the cases were way under reportered for humans big time in every area . If it can't be done right with west nile , raises concerns for other under reported  health situations . So glad dogs can't spread this virus to humans .                cheers .
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 9:10am

NEW!! *A recent article (Austgen et al. Experimental Infection of Cats and Dogs with West Nile Virus, EID, Vol. 10, no.1 Jan 2004) in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases discusses WNV infection in dogs and cats in detail.

Q. Can West Nile virus (WNV) cause illness in dogs or cats?
A. A relatively small number of WNV infected dogs (<40) and only 1 WNV infected cat have been reported to CDC during 2003. Experimentally infected dogs* showed no symptoms after infection with WNV. Some infected cats exhibited mild, nonspecific symptoms during the first week after infection--for the most part only showing a slight fever and slight lethargy.

It is unlikely that most pet owners would notice any unusual symptoms or behavior in cats or dogs that become infected with WNV.

Q. How can my veterinarian treat my cat or dog if they are/may be infected with WNV?
A. There is no specific treatment for WNV infection. Full recovery from the infection is likely. Treatment would be supportive (managing symptoms, if present) and consistent with standard veterinary practices for animals infected with a viral agent.

Q. Does my dog/cat becoming infected pose a risk to the health of my family or other animals?
A. There is no documented evidence of dog or cat-to-person transmission of West Nile virus. The evidence suggests that dogs do not develop enough virus in their bloodstream to infect more mosquitoes. Cats develop slightly higher levels of virus in their bloodstream, but it is unclear if this would be enough to infect mosquitoes. It is very unlikely that cats would be important in furthering the spread of the virus. *

If your animal becomes infected with WNV, this suggests that there are infected mosquitoes in your area. You should take measures to prevent mosquitoes from biting you (use repellent and wear protective clothing.)
Veterinarians should take normal infection control precautions when caring for any animal (Including birds) suspected to have this or any viral infection.

Q. How do cats and dogs become infected with West Nile virus?
A. Dogs and cats become infected when bitten by an infected mosquito. There is also evidence that cats can become infected with the virus after eating experimentally infected mice. *

Q. Can I become infected with WNV if a dog with the virus bites me?
A. Preliminary studies have not been able to detect virus in the saliva of infected dogs. This suggests that dog bites pose a low risk, if any, of transmission of WNV from dogs to other animals or people.

Q. Is there a vaccine for cats or dogs?
A. No.

Q. Should a dog or cat infected with West Nile virus be destroyed?
A. No. There is no reason to destroy an animal just because it has been infected with West Nile virus. Full recovery from the infection is likely. Treatment would be supportive and consistent with standard veterinary practices for animals infected with a viral agent.

Q. Can I use insect repellent on my pets?
A. DEET-based repellents, which are recommended for humans, are not approved for veterinary use (largely because animals tend to ingest them by licking.) Talk with your veterinarian for advice about the appropriate product for use on your pet.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 9:22am

EEE spraying favored by state health officials

By JOHN WHITSON
Union Leader Staff
1 hour, 35 minutes ago

State officials are for the first time ever recommending at-risk communities consider spraying an insecticide to battle Eastern Equine encephalitis.

A half-dozen EEE-infected mosquito pools — four in Newton and two in Danville — were discovered this week, sparking a meeting yesterday of health officials throughout Rockingham County.

“What we’re seeing is a rapid concentration of EEE in the central and southern Rockingham County area, and that is a concern to us,” said John Stephen, commissioner of Health and Human Services.

“We believe, with these cases, there’s a risk high enough to these towns that they consider spraying.”

The state has also found the virus in mosquito pools in Manchester, Fremont and Hampstead, as well as in birds found in South Hampton and Hampstead.

EEE is spread to humans when an infected bird is bitten by a mosquito, which then bites a person.

Fred Rusczek, Manchester’s public health director, said the city sprayed for EEE last Friday night and that the local mosquito count is down.

He said the population is closely watched, and if numbers start to climb again the city will consider a second spraying.

The state yesterday recommended Newton, Plaistow, Kingston, East Kingston, Danville, Brentwood, Fremont, Sandown, South Hampton, Atkinson and Hampstead consider spraying synthetic pyrethroid, which kills adult mosquitoes.

There have been no human cases of EEE in New Hampshire this year. Last year seven people were infected, and two people died from the disease.

“We don’t want people to panic,” said Stephen. “We want people to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather, but continue to be vigilant.

“It’s our goal that, with our continuing efforts, we will not see any human cases this year.”

Last month, HHS declared a EEE threat in Rockingham County, making available expedited mosquito control permits and state reimbursement of up to 25 percent of mosquito-control activity costs.

Dr. Jason Stull, the state public health veterinarian, said he, Stephen and other state health officials met with a contingent of more than 40 people at Rockingham County Nursing Home yesterday morning.

The meeting was called to offer expertise, suggest a unified response and outline prevention strategies to the area of the state hit hardest by EEE.

Stull said it’s not known why Rockingham County is home to more EEE-infected mosquitoes than other parts of the state.

“The ecology of this area seems to be one that really allows this virus to thrive in the bird population,” he said.

Because EEE is rare in humans, it remains largely a mystery to scientists, said Stull. “It feels like I’m having a daily conversation with the CDC,” he said, referring to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta.

Some studies indicate that people under 15 and those over 50 are at higher risk of falling seriously ill. The two fatal cases in New Hampshire last year involved a 20-year-old Newton woman and an 80-year-old Hooksett man.

Stull said the state laboratory has been actively testing for the virus. “We reach out to physicians throughout state and in the area of concern (for blood samples),” he said.

The majority of people bitten by an infected mosquito will never know it, said Stull. Some people may suffer mild flu-like symptoms, he said, and a small number of people develop serious symptoms.

The danger of EEE, said Stull, is that one-third of people who develop the more serious symptoms ultimately die from the infection.

Stull said spraying an insecticide is only dangerous to the general population if the product is improperly used. “In general it is very safe,” he said.

People are advised not to come into direct contact with insecticide, and Stull recommends people with respiratory problems stay inside with windows closed if trucks are used to spray throughout a town.

Massachusetts has been dealing with EEE for many years, said Stephen, and New Hampshire residents can now expect to do battle each fall.

“If we can learn anything from Massachusetts over the last 70 years,” said Stull, “it’s that it tends to cycle for several years ... so certainly we’ve got to be prepared for it here in New Hampshire.”

The state athletic association recently posted an informational warning about EEE on its Web site.

Executive Director R. Patrick Corbin said yesterday the association wants to let high school athletic directors know they have the option to reschedule games and avoid playing into the night when more mosquitoes may be out.

Sanborn High School and Timberlane of Plaistow, said Corbin, have moved soccer and field hockey start times closer to when school lets out.

“Our effort was just to remind everyone that it is an issue, and some schools have taken steps to avoid it,” he said.

A decade ago, playing games into the evening wouldn’t have been an option at nearly every high school in the state. But Corbin said more and more schools are playing under the lights.

“Before the advent of so many of these lit, turf fields ... many of the games, field hockey, soccer, a lot of these sports were played in the afternoon. Now ... they play into the evening almost every night.”

Bishop Guertin Athletic Director Andrew Krahling uses Stellos Stadium in Nashua for Friday night football.

For other sports, Krahling said he’d consider altering schedules if the threat appeared more imminent.

“It’s crossed our mind,” he said, “but as far as I know there hasn’t been affected mosquitoes right around our area.”

The state’s hotline for EEE/West Nile virus issues is 866-273-6453. For more information on EEE, including how to eliminate mosquito-breeding areas and how to avoid mosquito bites, go to www.dhhs.nh.gov.

Mass. boy, 9, dies of EEE
After Fremont scare, Raymond gets mosquito update

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 9:30am

Mass. boy, 9, dies of EEE

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

12 hours, 23 minutes ago Boston – A 9-year-old boy from Middleborough died yesterday from Eastern equine encephalitis, the first fatality from the mosquito-borne virus in the state this year.

John Fontaine developed a fever Aug. 18 and was hospitalized two days later. He died yesterday afternoon, said Christine Powers-Perry, a spokesman for Children's Hospital in Boston.

The grade-school student played youth football and was "like every other 9-year-old. Happy to be there. A joy to be around. Fun to watch grow," said Jim Muirhead, program director for the Mitchell Memorial Club Youth Football and Cheerleading program.

Middleborough was among the communities in southeastern Massachusetts that have undergone two rounds of aerial spraying to kill the mosquitoes that carry the virus. The first round of spraying Aug. 8 reduced the mosquito population by at least 60 percent, officials said.

The boy could have contracted the virus as early as Aug. 8, but probably got the virus the following week, according to state health officials.

Two other people -- a 52-year-old woman from Lakeville and a 23-year-old man from Acushnet -- have contracted the virus this year.

Dlugose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlugose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 11:37am
THey are spraying for this, it started before this death in a few counties around where I work.  Any Massachusetts people look on the mass.gov/dph website for a map.   Media showed the shock and mourning in the child's community.
Dlugose RN AAS BA BS Cert. Biotechnology. Respiratory nurse
June 2013: public health nurse volunteer, Asia
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 7:40pm
17 Additional West Nile Cases Reported
Southwest Nebraska News, NE - 5 hours ago
... bite of a mosquito that has picked up the virus by feeding on an infected bird. ... who are infected by a mosquito have no symptoms or only mild flu-like symptoms. ...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 8:33pm

Hi Candles - I'm from Hattiesburg and the story of under-reported cases of West Nile barely made a 3 inch column on the bottom of the front page of our paper.  Very strange, because this community is the medical mecca for most of the southern part of the state.  I was really surprised about this. 

They spray about once a week for misquitos here, but it obviously can't kill all of them.  Even though everyone is aware of the threat, it's hard to put repellent on everytime you want to water the plants or check the mailbox.  And of course, the only times when it's tolerable to be outside in mid-summer are at dawn and dusk - when misquitos are most active.  I know a woman who was in the hospital for the better part of a year with West Nile. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 12:38am
HI getting ready , I know what your saying .Confused But  this might help along the way .

Drug makers foresee growing youth demographic, market new immunizations against diseases such as meningitis, HPV.

Jeanne Whalen / Wall Street Journal

For decades, immunization has been a rite of childhood and old age. Now, the vaccine industry is targeting teenagers, too.

Drug companies are rolling out new immunizations against diseases that teens are at risk of catching, such as bacterial meningitis, whooping cough and human papillomavirus, or HPV, a sexually transmitted virus that can cause cervical cancer.

New technology and a better understanding of genetics and immunology are permitting vaccinations against a broader range of illnesses. Some diseases have also been spreading more rapidly among teens, increasing the need for vaccines. "The adolescent area is ... an area of tremendous growth opportunity and tremendous need," says Wayne Pisano, senior vice president of Sanofi-Pasteur, the vaccines division of Sanofi-Aventis SA.

Drug makers predict global vaccine sales will double by 2010 to $19 billion. If some of the new teen-targeted vaccines sell as well as analysts predict, the teen segment could make up at least 15 percent of the vaccine market by then.

However, teenagers are a tough target. They are difficult to get to the doctor's office, pediatricians say. Many turn up only when they have a broken bone or serious illness. They often see a general practitioner or a gynecologist, most of whom aren't as accustomed as pediatricians to giving vaccinations.

Also, "they're old enough to say, 'No, I don't want it,' " says Carol Baker, a professor of pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

So drug companies are trying to get doctors and parents on their side. When Sanofi-Aventis last year introduced Menactra -- a vaccine against several forms of bacterial meningitis, a potentially lethal infection in the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord -- it compiled a list of college-bound high school students and sent brochures to parents. Adolescents are especially susceptible because the bacteria spreads easily through dorms, military barracks and other close quarters.

This year, Sanofi is marketing to parents in doctors' offices. Printed posters and fliers explain how to distinguish flu symptoms from bacterial meningitis: a stiff neck, numbness in the hands or feet and sensitivity to light are common signs of the latter. The materials also direct parents to a Web site -- www.fightmeningitis.com -- where Sanofi offers more advice and information relating to the disease.

Kaitlyn Keelean, a 16-year-old from Chandler, Okla., got vaccinated against meningitis earlier this year after her older sister unexpectedly died from the disease. "You don't think it's going to happen to you, and then something like that happens," she says.

The current push to vaccinate teens marks a sharp turnaround for the industry. For many years, making vaccines was seen as a business high in hassles and low in profits. Vaccine shots were expensive and difficult to make, and health care providers weren't willing to pay much for them. As a result, many drug companies got out of the business in the 1990s.

But recent shortages of seasonal flu shots and fears of a bird flu pandemic have helped renew interest in vaccines.

Government, on the federal and state level, plays a big role in the vaccine business in the United States. A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory panel can recommend new vaccines, and most physicians follow its advice. Also, because vaccines are often required for school and are considered a public health tool in fighting disease, government programs cover the cost of vaccines for many children.

sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 12:10pm
Wow ... viruses - yep, we had a doozie of a respiratory one down here in Arizona ... now I thought I was pretty healthy, immune system all in check ~ then this thing comes along and floored me real good!!  DH was sick about a month ago ... same thing I presume, but this must be circulating 'round the Valley here ...
Anyhow, I spent Labor Day recuperating  ... and again, rethinking my preps ... what meds, foods, non-food items would be of beneficial use ...
What  can ya  eat when you have to cook for yourself ~ DH and kids are all in school and work, so I had to fend for myself at home ... soup can only go so far before appetite fatigue sets in with that, and DH stocked up on soup at the first sign of illness ...
I did find that spicy and salty foods helped to clear up my throat,  so I had extra helpings of anything with chilies ... and the canned soups were "salty" enough to also help break down and clear the mucus ... I tried the "pineapple" with my sore throat ~ ouch, that burned ... but the "tartiness" of the juice(s) did help with clearing the throat afterwards ...
Well what do I need more of ... lots of boxes of Kleenex (w/lotion), Lysol wipes and spray to kill the germs, alot of fruit & juices, alot of bottled water, backup meds, and a big stack of DVDs ...
anyhow, glad to be (almost) all back into the land of the "living!" 
PS ... I missed all the great sales over the weekend Cry !!
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 9:00pm
sweetpea, glad to hear you are better. I enjoyed your post.  I put away some babyfood, carrots, peaches etc. for illness, have that in the flu kits in the bedroom closets also.  We usually make a soup with , minced onions, cilantro, garlic, tomatoes, lime, veg cube and that is our cold soup...someone is always well enough to make it, but then I thought I could freeze some in case we are all down with something.  Had a fire in the fireplace tonight..first of the season, so pretty.  I smell fall.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 5:59am
USA      West Nile September 2006  in Humans .
Did You Know?
You can also navigate to Adjacent States by clicking on them.
Map Legend
* States shown in yellow are those in which virus activity has been reported historically, but all counties in these states have not necessarily reported virus activity.
Arbonet Logo
CDC Logo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Anharra Anharra wrote:

someone is always well enough to make it, but then I thought I could freeze some in case we are all down with something. 

What a awesome idea!  I am the only female in a house of 5 males...NO one can cook but me!  Thanks for posting this...I am going to start cooking soups and freezing them!Wink
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 12:42pm
  Hi everyone, I will be putting togerher my flu kits for   the bedrooms next week.  Will you guys give me some ideas on what you are putting in them? Anharra I like the idea of baby food in there.  Will any one be keeping a small Microve and small refrig in the room?
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 12:45pm
  I live in a college Need to finish draftn.  They had an outbreak of Strep throat last week of over 100 college students including the footbal team.  This time last year they said they had only 10 cases. 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 12:49pm
I'm sorry the post should read, I live in a college Need to finish draftn.  They had an out break of Strep throat last week,on the college campus.  Over 100 students were infected including the football team.  This time last year they said they had only 10 cases.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 8:57pm

hi M. Mama...  here is my list so far.

Bedroom Closet Flu Kit

Adult diapers (18- sm/med) ...so far
5 chux disposable bed pads (place under person)
also have waterproof bed pads for under sheets
orange flav liquid ibuprofen w/cup
grape flav acetaminophen w/cup
digital thermometer/covers
liquilytes apple flav 2 (4 pac) total 2 quarts
baby food, little jars, plastic spoons, carrot, peach, butternut squash, sweet potatoe
hand sanitizer
disposable gloves
garbage bags
masks
goggles
tuks med. wipes
unscented baby wipes
desitin cream
Homeopathic flu remedys

I will be adding- in hall closet-
chart with pen
wash basin
small washclothes and hand sanitizer
2 1/2 gallon size water cont. with spout.
upstairs microwave for heating water
vaporizer/ plastic tent
battery tape player with soft music
battery - good/soft lighting
have extra sheets (know how to make a bed with a person in it.)

I will find more I imagine... folks here will be able to add some good ideas for sure :)

steve 101 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve 101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 2:08pm
please excose my ignorance but what is Need to finish draftels. never heard of it
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 2:57pm
  Hi Steve neither have I. I'm not trying to be funny here.  As you can see I was trying to re type my message and the same thing appeared twice.  I'm not sure what was happening with my computer.  This was not an error on y part.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what might have happen.  Steve the basic message about the strep throat is what I was trying to post.  Sorry to all about the confusion.  Thanks for your understanding.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 3:23pm
  Thanks Anharra for your list, I will let you know of anything that I'm adding that might be of help.  your list is a great start for me.  I don't know how to make a bed with a sick person in it.  Are there any simple ways to do this?  Please let me know.  Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 7:56pm
My nurses used to call it the log roll.  When I was 9 yrs old I was hospitalized for a mysterious kidney infection, high fever for days 104+, I was a mess close to death.  I remember the nurses would roll me over to one side and roll up the old sheets and roll on the new, roll me over to my other side and remove the old and finish the clean sheets.  Sounds easy with a 65 lb kid  - a 200 lb man like me would be a bigger challange but I believe do-able.  Add a cattle prod to your prep list and you will have less trouble!   Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 7:15pm

I've heard of several respiratory illnesses here in Colorado.  My co-worker is still coughing after 5 weeks.

I read last spring that there was a deadly dog flu going around.  We kept our dogs away from the vets office.  One time we took our 2 English bulldogs to a dog park and within 2 days they were both really sick.  Their noses kept running and they had to breathe out of their mouths for a week.  We will never take them to dog parks again.  You also want to keep your dog away from the other dogs in the vets office because our dogs caught something there once also.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 2:59am

West Nile virus found in two birds
The Oregonian - 0 KB- Found: 2 hours ago
Two dead birds found last week in Southeast Portland prove that the West Nile virus has made it to the state's most populous city  .Confused

West Nile found
The Natchez Democrat - 0 KB- Found: 4 hours ago
NATCHEZ — A bird tested positive for the West Nile Virus in Adams County Friday, a spokeswoman for the Mississippi Department of Health said Friday. The disease is carried from animal to animal by mosquitoes.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 12:11pm
My aunt went to Alaska about two weeks ago for a cruise.  Was quarantined for sickness in her room for two days and her husband for a day.  When they returned to Tampa they passed the illness on to their grown daugher and her kids.  Lots of throwing up and severe dehydration.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Candles Candles wrote:

West Nile virus found in two birds
The Oregonian - 0 KB- Found: 2 hours ago
Two dead birds found last week in Southeast Portland prove that the West Nile virus has made it to the state's most populous city  .Confused

West Nile found
The Natchez Democrat - 0 KB- Found: 4 hours ago
NATCHEZ — A bird tested positive for the West Nile Virus in Adams County Friday, a spokeswoman for the Mississippi Department of Health said Friday. The disease is carried from animal to animal by mosquitoes.

Confused more news

Stephenson Co. sees first human case of West Nile
Freeport Journal - 0 KB- Found: 1 hour ago
FREEPORT - Local health officials have confirmed that a rural Ridott woman has tested positive for West Nile virus. She is the county's first human case of the disease in four years.

County to boost efforts to battle West Nile
The Facts - 0 KB- Found: 1 hour ago
ANGLETON — The Brazoria County Mosquito Control District will try an air attack to battle the West Nile virus after it turned up for the second time in two weeks as mosquitoes from Freeport and a dead blue jay from Lake Jackson both tested positive for the virus.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 12:56pm
Thanks for the info Candles, I know people out that way.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 1:57pm
  Anharra  what are draftels? I a putting together my sick room kit but I'm not sure what this is.  Your list is a big big help thanks again.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 2:29pm
I took my DD (the adult one visiting from CA, not my youngest) to the ER the other night and they had the standard TB post on the door, has been there forever. There was also a new notice that if you are coming in the ER or clinic and have a rash do not enter, send the person in that you came with to the nurses station to talk to them first, or call before entering and talk to them. I am not sure what that is all about and it was 3 hours before she was seen and by that time I forgot to even ask. This is a new notice that has been posted within the last month.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 4:59am
Tulsan's death is fifth from West Nile
By NICOLE NASCENZI World Staff Writer
9/14/2006

Officials are concerned about older people who seem to be more susceptible to the mosquito-borne virus.

A Tulsa man died last month from complications from West Nile virus, making him the fifth Oklahoman to die from the mosquito-borne virus this year, public health officials reported Wednesday.

Oklahoma has seen a record number of deaths from West Nile this year, and public health officials are concerned about older people, who seem to be most at risk for complications from the illness.

The 68-year-old Tulsan, whose name was not released, died Aug. 27, said Melanie Christian, spokeswoman for the Tulsa City-County Health Department. The state was notified of the confirmed cause of his death on Monday.

One other patient in Tulsa County was sickened with the vi rus, and more than 20 cases have been reported across the state.

West Nile is a virus most commonly spread by mosquitoes and can cause a flu-like sickness in humans, but it rarely causes potentially deadly brain swelling.

The dead were between the ages of 62 and 78 and were from Tulsa, Oklahoma, Carter and Grady counties.

Mosquitoes contract the virus when they feed on infected birds. The bugs then transmit it to humans, horses and other mammals.

"Just like putting your seat belt on when you get in a car, when it is West Nile time, don't go out at dusk and dawn, and wear protection," said Janice Sheehan, manager of the Tulsa City-County Health Department's Communicable Disease Control Division.

West Nile season typically runs from July to October, peaking in August and September. This year, however, the season in Oklahoma started early when the first mosquitoes testing positive for the virus were found in June in Payne County.

Symptoms include fever, intense headache, extreme tiredness, muscle weakness and dizziness. Adults older than 50 are at greatest risk of developing encephalitis, a potentially fatal inflammation of the brain.

There is no cure for the virus, but medical attention can help alleviate symptoms. Experts are not sure why older adults are at greater risk for complications from the virus.

Most people who contract the illness never require medical attention, and therefore their cases are not reported to the Oklahoma State Department of Health Department. The virus is detected through a blood test.

The Tulsa Health Department helps the State Health Department monitor incidences of West Nile by testing mosquitoes for the virus.

The Tulsa Health Department also tracks the incidence of dead birds including crows, blue jays, cardinals, hawks, owls and eagles. The public can report dead birds by calling 595-4344. The state also tracks incidences of the disease in horses.

Christian said birds are no longer tested because officials know the disease is present in Oklahoma, but the department records the dead bird sightings to help track the virus.

Nicole Nascenzi 581-8315
nicole.nascenzi@tulsaworld.com

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 6:40am

All six members of my family were sick for 10-14 days with head cold/bronchities/GI type symptons.  Lots of coughing, phlegm, fever, dizziness.  Many, many people have had the same symptoms.  Cleared up for us a week or so ago.  We are in North Carolina.

We became aware of BF several years ago and have been tracking it closely since.  We moved from rural ME to rural NC in part because dealing with BF or something similar in January is much easier in NC than ME.

God Bless.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 6:15am

Marin has its first human case of West Nile
Marin Independent Journal - 0 KB- Found: 5 hours ago
A 17-year-old Novato girl is the first Marin County resident to test positive for West Nile virus, county health authorities reported Thursday.

http://www.marinij.com/novato/ci_4341810    A horse from same area had to be put down  recently .
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 4:08am
Again

Bird tests positive for West Nile virus

Published: Saturday, Sep. 16, 2006

MERRIMACK - A bird found in town has tested positive for West Nile virus, state health officials announced Friday.

The find makes 15 birds this season that have tested positive for the disease, five of those in Nashua, officials from the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services said.  http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060916/NEWS01/109160133

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 6:59am
Again

By Laura Watson http://www.dogflu.ca/09162006/09/west_nile_comes_to_cape_county

Cape County has reported its first case of West Nile of the year

Cape County has confirmed its first case of the West Nile virus. The positive testing comes as the West Nile season comes to a close meaning that the county has gotten off quite lucky when compared to other counties from across the United States.

According to county Health Officer Kevin Thomas, up until now, there have been no cases of avian or human West Nile virus infection. County officials are gathering dead birds to have them tested to determine if any of them have actually died from West Nile infection._

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 4:54pm
Yes, I have heard of some viruses making the rounds; read this (Notice there is no mention of WHICH viruses will be used!)

FDA Approves a Spray-on Virus to Keep Processed Meats ''Safe''

VirusThe FDA has approved a mix of six bacteria-killing viruses designed to be sprayed on ready-to-eat meat and poultry products. The viruses, called bacteriophages, kill the Listeria monocytogenes bacterium. This is the first-ever approval of viruses as a food additive.

Listeria monocytogenes can cause a serious infection called listeriosis. About 2,500 people in the United States become seriously ill with listeriosis each year, and 500 die.

Lunch meats are particularly vulnerable to Listeria because they are generally not cooked or reheated after purchase.

Consumers will not be informed as to whether their meat and poultry products have been treated with the spray. Intralytix, the company that produces the virus spray, also plans to seek FDA approval for another bacteriophage product, this one designed to kill E. coli bacteria.

Yahoo News August 19, 2006

DR. MERCOLA'S COMMENTS

I have snipped a few paragraphs; entire article at the following link.

"This could be a landmark event as it proposes to launch an enormously broad application of this bacterium-killing virus when only a select target group needs it. When meat leftovers containing this virus are disposed of, they will spread this virus throughout compost heaps and perhaps even into sewage sludge, providing a great opportunity for billions of bacteria to encounter this virus in great dilution under a variety of conditions.

Who is willing to bet that no bacteria will develop immunity? This strongly resembles the same irresponsible attitude that was at the bottom of the American habit to prescribe penicillin indiscriminately for everything from coughs and colds to sprained ankles."

There are also links at the bottom of the article to a few other articles on the safety of food, and how to keep our food safe.

Silke View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 7:19pm
 My high school age son had two days of severe headache, lower back pain and fever of over 103 this week.  No cough, sore throat, runny nose or other symptoms. 

We spent a week at the beach last week and three of us  who went developed a rash with little blisters this week (son didn't) and we had no sunburn, etc. associated with it. Just a weird little rash.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 5:49am
Swarm of mosquitoes plague region this year
Beaver County Times, PA - 1 hour ago
... About a month ago, Bob, a diabetic, was exhibiting flu-like symptoms and was ... Cooperative Extension works with DEP to collect mosquito and dead bird samples. ...
                                                                West Nile found in Beaver County .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic