Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

OT-Are there any viruses going around-USA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 6:41am
Montgomery, Alabama - throwing up kind of virus
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 2:42am

First Nebraska West Nile death reported
North Platte Bulletin - 0 KB- Found 26 minutes ago
Nebraska has had its first death this year from the West Nile virus, according to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. A man in his 80s from south-central Nebraska died from the virus within the past week, the HHS said. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 6:06am
Just heard on the radio yesterday that DuPage County IL (next one over from me) has had 48 cases of West Nile and 2 fatal so far this year.  An ederly lady one block from my house got it too but recovered thankfully.  This a very real problem this time of year but very little said.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 12:57am

Hi Cruiser is Du Page County near this one ??

2 West Nile cases confirmed in city
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - 0 KB- Found: 4 hours ago
The Milwaukee Health Department has reported two confirmed cases of West Nile virus and, in a separate case, is... 

In addition, the Milwaukee agency said that it has received about 500 reports of dead birds.OuchOuch

Sotir said 130 cases of West Nile have been detected in birds from 58 counties.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 4:31am
HEADS UP- In Mobile Press Register paper this am stated first case of 2 yr. old with influenza type B in USA. Also states there is concern about 10 cases of Influenza A in Ozark, Alabama. I am going to try to link this to our local papers web address, wish me luck. www.al.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 4:51am
My link works, but the article is not on the internet site of the mobile register, I read this hard copy. HERE IS THE ARTICLE. FLU CASE AMONG FIRST IN NATION BY Penelope McClenny: A two yr. old Mobile County child in August was hospitalized for a case of influenza that is among the first reported in the country this season. Laboratroy test confirmed that the victim tested positive for influenza B, a less virulent type of flu often seen in children. While state flu coordinators said that the Mobile case is notable because it was unusual to see the flu this early in the season, but his department is more closely watching nearly a dozen recently reported cases of influenza A in the southeast Alabama city of Ozark. The Mobile case, so far is a singular case, "Ozark is a little bit more concerning to us right now than the Mobile case." said Chris Sellers-state flu coordinator.Eleven of the Ozark cases have been confirmed as H1N1, the same strain behind  the 1918 virus that killed as many as 50 million people worldwide according to the Atlanta based CDC. While H1N1 is more virulent and contagious than influenza B, humans have built up an immunity to that strain and it does not pose the same threat that it did in the early 1900's. H1N1 which is not the same strain as the Avian flu that public health officials are watching worldwide. "I am hoping that that's going to be our strain this year, and that's whats in our vaccine." said Melissa Tucker, director of epidemiology at the Mobile County Health Dept. The Mobile Influenza case is likely "an absolute coincidence at this point" Seller said. Health officials will monitor the child's family, physicians and any other people who came into contact with the victim to see if the illness emerges elsewhere, but they do not consider the case a cause for alarm. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 5:06am
one more time with a link www.al.com,  the newspaper is Mobile Press Register, key word-influenza and then there is the article.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 5:11am
Candles,

DuPage county is just west of Chicago,  we have been getting hammered by the bug!

Here is the direct link to the article above from Frankiew.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 6:13am
THANK YOU CANDLES, I am so computer illiterate. My link goes to the article in the press register. Again, thank you for your help, now how do you post a new topic, I could not figure that one out at all?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 5:57pm
hi Frankiew, on the right hand side  , on the top of page of Discussion there is new topic , and reply . The new topic will allow you to create a new topic in the forum . I have troubles with the news forum , my new topic's become events , like crying wolf I find press releases hours before US time , I post them but shy to as its not an event so to speak , only to find them being posted again a day later . So I post lots following the same subject , just hope it gets read . The event just comes up on me can't get rid of it . Your post was so good , flu has started  made me sit back , and I am a long way , huge ocean between us , keep well guys . I hope everyone puts the knowledge in practice to keep you all safe .Smile Cheers Candles
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 7:51pm

Thanks Candles, and thanks Cruiser for posting it correctly for me. I will know what to do the next time, talk to ya'll later.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 2:16am
This is one of the warning signs I have been looking for. A cluster of off-season flu in the US. They say it's H1N1, and it has already been subtyped. which means it is probably weeks old news, wich means it probably started in Aug. the birds in Montana take 3 weeks to subtype, but Mobile does it overnight. This is getting fishy.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 2:42am
Originally posted by mach mach wrote:

This is one of the warning signs I have been looking for. A cluster of off-season flu in the US. They say it's H1N1, and it has already been subtyped. which means it is probably weeks old news, wich means it probably started in Aug. the birds in Montana take 3 weeks to subtype, but Mobile does it overnight. This is getting fishy.
  Hi Mach ,just posted in news on flu thread , Billings wants to vaccinate 10,000 and flu mist for kids for a test run ................ 10,000 is this normal for flu   ????  Confused
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Candles Candles wrote:

Originally posted by mach mach wrote:

Hi Mach ,just posted in news on flu thread , Billings wants to vaccinate 10,000 and flu mist for kids for a test run ................ 10,000 is this normal for flu   ????  Confused
    Hi again  found this had to post it as I found the article , think back how researchers thought how 1918 started maybe   ignore that  ..Ouch  11 people early flu cases .......

Alabama Probes Flu Cases
WTOK-TV Meridian - 0 KB- Found: 11 hours ago
State health officials are investigating 11 early season flu cases in Ozark, Ala., to determine if the outbreak is connected to a nearby military base.

Flu shot clinic planned at MetraPark
Helena Independent Record - 0 KB- Found: 4 hours ago
BILLINGS Health officials want to give flu shots to 10,000 people in a single day at MetraPark next month as a disaster readiness exercise

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 4:05am
Hey, the child in Mobile, Alabama had the flu in August, the people, cluster in Ozark the article never said when they had the flu. My other concern besides off-season cluster of flu, is that Ozark, Alabama is right next door to Ft. Rucker, a military installation with personnal going and returning from Iraq.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 4:05am

2 students have viral meningitis
Courier-Post - 0 KB- Found: 3 hours ago
Custodians worked overtime Thursday to disinfect door handles, armrests, the knobs on water fountains and lockers after two West Deptford High School students were diagnosed with a contagious but rarely fatal disease.     http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060922/NEWS01/609220384

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 4:12am

Two women treated for West Nile
Montana Standard - 0 KB- Found: 4 hours ago
MISSOULA (AP) — A Ravalli County woman is recovering from a bout with West Nile virus and another woman also likely has the disease, said Charmell Owens, the county’s disaster preparedness officer.  22/9/2006

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 4:18am

Cook County Woman State's 9th To Die Of West Nile
CBS 2 Chicago - 0 KB- Found: 8 hours ago
A Cook County woman has died from complications of the West Nile virus, bringing to nine the total number of deaths attributed to the disease in Illinois this year, the state Department of Public Health announced Thursday.http://www.sctonline.net/articles/2006/09/21/news/local/news63.txt

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 8:59pm
cold and upper respitory virus in NC. We had a news report on TV telling us not to get the flu shot until at least Oct. they said that if you get it too soon, the effectivness of it will wear off, possibly when the flu season hits the hardest. Anyone ever heard that one before?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 6:55pm
Talked to my daugther today, from KC MO and she said a terrible stomach virus is going around there. She said that it is really nasty and hits fast. She had terrible abdominal pain. She is fine now.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 9:01pm
took butch to the doctor today. he has a cold and the doctor said he had 5 other cases just like his today. i asked about tb or the flu and he seemed to think it was all in his resp. system. we are in ms. and in the paper today was all about tb, so that's why we went. they gave him a shot and some cough syrup and antibotics.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2006 at 4:16pm
I spoke to a doctor last night and he said there are lots of viruses going around Colorado.  Several of my co-workers have been sick and my mom's been running a temperature for 4 days.  It was 102.2 last night.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 4:59am

10 Northwest Indiana Residents Have West Nile
CBS 2 Chicago - 0 KB- Found: 1 hour ago
Ten people in northwest Indiana have tested positive in the last two weeks for the West Nile http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=news&cs=utf8&q=bird%20flu&rys=0&itag=crv&_sb_lang=pref&sort=date

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 7:49pm
  I ate lunch today at Shoney's with a friend.  When I came out an older guy was standing around looking at my red pickup truck.  When i apporached he said he was just admiring it.  So we chatted for a while.  He pointed to an 18 wheeler and said this is mine.  He said I'm just getting back to driving it this week. I've had some kind of viral infection for 2 months and I'm just getting over it. I think I kind of panicked.  I said sir it has been nice chatting with you but I'm late for an appointment.  In hindsight I wish I had asked him about his symptoms and and wether he had to go to the hospital and ect.   What if most of our truck drivers are down for 2 months?  how will our stores get supplies?  Keep prepping guys.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 7:52pm

My co-worker has been sick for over 6 weeks with a really bad cough.  He's on a second round of antibiotics and still coughing!

A doctor a spoke to on Saturday said there is a lot of stuff going around right now.  Several other co-workers have said they've been fighting something off; one of them said for 2 weeks and the other for over a month.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 2:20am
guest.

i am in northwest georgia. the flu is here now. this is the regular flu, not the bf. i have been in the medical field for years. this is september. this is
too soon for this to be happening.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 7:30pm
as for us butch is getting better but now i'm sick with about the same thing but i have a low grade fever. called to make app. to see my doctor but no openings until oct9. hope it's gone by then.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 6:12am
Upper and lower respitoray infections in Ohio and PA.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 12:11am
OuchWest Nile Count Rises
WOWT-TV Omaha - 0 KB- Found: 8 hours ago
Twenty-five new cases of West Nile virus have been reported since last week, bringing the total this year to 156, according to Nebraska Health and Human http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=news&cs=utf8&rys=0&itag=crv&_sb_lang=pref&sort=date&q=bird+flu&o=20
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 6:46am

A school principal in bridgeport ct, critial with legionnaires, they don't think he contracted at school, but no state testing is being done?? I googled and found recent cases in  iowa,nj,ny,pa,uk,spain,italy,netherlands,Could this be something more serious?  

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 7:52pm
 I went to my local bank today.  I always chat with the teller.  I told her I wasn't feeling that well, sore throat and feeling a little a ache in my bones.  She said there is a virus going around, a lot of people at the bank have been off.  She said whatever it is it is contagous.  She said it starts with a high fever that won't go down.   I had a ear infection a couple of weeks ago.  I went back to the Dr. a few days ago, he said it had cleared up.  I still have this ringing in my ear and they click every time I sawllow.  I will try to get another Appt. next week.  does anyone have any suggestions?  My friend in Chicago said there is something going around there, several of the people she know is sick.  She said it's like something is in the air.  She is also sick.
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 8:46pm
Virus going around north east Ohio. People start with a sinus infection,sore throat and it ends in a upper respiratory infection. It is taking on average 30 days to feel better. Now its spreading into Indiana.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 4:35am

Millie Martinez, KOLD News 13 Reporter

48 people across the state of Arizona have been infected by the West Nile virus—three have died—and health officials have discovered four new cases of the virus in Tucson.

Nine of the twelve West Nile cases were found in the clustered hot zone, the midtown area between Pima and 29th and Kolb and Columbus.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 4:40am

XENIA — A Greene County man recently contracted the West Nile virus, a Combined Health District official said Wednesday.

The man, whose identity was not released, was treated at Kettering Memorial Hospital and is in recovery, said Mark McDonnell, county health commissioner. http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2006/10/04/ddn100506westnile.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=16

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 4:49am
Part of an article , explains different strains of West Nile ........

West Nile virus was first documented in the U.S. in 1999. Harbored in birds and transmitted by mosquitoes, it spread quickly across the country. This year Dallas County has had a total of 83 confirmed human cases and three deaths associated with West Nile virus. The virus is particularly harmful to children, the elderly or people with weak immune systems.

In the new study, appearing in this month's issue of the Journal of Virology, Dr. Gale and colleagues compared a virus isolated from an infected bird in Hall County, in the Texas Panhandle, with a milder strain from Madagascar.

The researchers found that the Texas strain can subvert the body's first attempt to limit the virus's replication in the body. Normally, within a few hours after infection, the body's cells are producing interferon, a biochemical trigger for a coordinated immune system attack. But the Texas strain clogs up the interferon response, giving the virus a head start in its spread throughout the body.

By contrast, Dr. Gale and his colleagues found, the Madagascar strain can't clog up the interferon response so the virus is not as damaging.

"People have observed before that the African isolates are less virulent," said Dr. Robert Tesh, a pathologist at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. "This is an explanation of why."

Scientists have previously proposed that a weak strain of the West Nile virus could be the basis for a vaccine, and the current findings are in line with that notion.

"What we've got here is the footwork for how to design a vaccine," UT Southwestern's Dr. Gale said. "We think the key to a good vaccine will be to produce a mild virus that won't block interferon."

Other candidates for developing a vaccine include the mild Kunjin strain, which circulates in Australia, as well as a variety of genetically engineered viruses.

But developing a vaccine has its challenges, said the NIAID's Dr. Repik.http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-westnile_01nat.ART.State.Edition1.3f433c2.html

PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 5:00pm
our area is experiencing the West Nile virus outbreak. There were 20 cases with 1 death.  In some "hot" spots they are going door to door with info dealing with it.  This has been unusual in the past years, but increased with the last year to front page news.  Our area has already had the flu outbreak very early this year and the shots are just now arriving with a two week incubation before effective.  We are in the Arizona desert and the flu is here the first week of Oct. - usually it is in Dec. or late Nov.
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 11:16pm
Hi PATB , hope your doing okay , do you notice any difference after the public has been informed re West Nile , and the fogging has that made any postive impact yet ?

West Nile detected in Benton County
Corvallis Gazette Times - 0 KB- Found: 2 hours ago
A dead bird from Corvallis tested positive for West Nile Virus last week, making it the first local case of the year, according to scientists at Oregon State University’s Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory.

PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 2:49pm
We are avoiding close crowds, etc.  during week-ends.  The Wnv has ex-panded the "hot spots" within 2miles of us so I don't go out at night. Birds being carriers scares me because this area is world known for all the tropical, unique birds.  Thousands will migrate soon to a lake for the winter.  Foggers have not been seen except for small ones. We use a sump pump to move standing water during the rains and the dry ground sucks it right up. It hooks up to the hose and works great. The TV news is very up front, reminding us to use bug spray, etc.  They also said city people are going house to house to inform people and check for standing water.  I have found 2-3 in house but they come in when you open the door.  We have bats to work the nights and the lights.  There are so many bats....thousands.  Some were in the eves of our house. We will just deal with everything as it comes up.
Pat
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 3:02pm
hi candles...thanks for the contact.  We are in the Tucson area and the flu is here too.  Many people migrate from Mexico, which is two hours south and there is Dunghe fever down there. They will also expect WNV because of the migration birds.  We expect a rush into the U.S. if their country gets
too bad off. It's going to be interesting...
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 12:51am

W. Nile cases spreading
Arizona Daily Star - 0 KB- Found 17 minutes ago
Tucson's West Nile Virus "hot zone" is losing its status as most of the latest cases are now outside the area and a county health official believes the entire metropolitan area has the potential for hosting even more dangerous mosquito-borne diseases.http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/news/150910.php

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 12:06pm
no flu here in the north ...yet    colds.
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 12:09pm
Oh boy! my cat is indoor/outdoor, eats birds, and scratch me last night.  If my arm doesn't get better I am headed to the emergency room also.  Now let me tell you why...I was bit by a feral cat many years ago.  The cat died and my finger was infected within 3 hrs.  (I took a lot of joking from the cat dying)  but the fact is, the only bite nastier then a cat is a human bite.  The bacteria is very dangerous and I had to go to a surgeon and have it lanced and soaked every two hours, etc.   I was out of work for two weeks.  The doctors used rubber gloves to attend the infected bite.  I just rubbed this cats belly and it grabbed my arm with its teeth and claws. Not something to mess with.
Pat
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 12:18pm
Sweetpea...I am here is AZ too!  the WNV is still spreading here in Tucson. They are using helicopters to check for bad swimming pools and standing water.  Ten more people this week are infected and this will not ease up until the night chill stays at 50 degrees.  I think it will be here for awhile yet.  The migrating birds should be coming in soon.  I have humming birds in my olive tree and they are usually gone by now for Mexico, but they seem in no hurry.  At least we were able to seal up the eves of the house so the bats moved on.  Stay in touch.
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 12:46am
Source: American Chemical Society
Date: October 17, 2006

DNA Computing Targets West Nile Virus, Other Deadly Diseases

Researchers say that they have developed a DNA-based computer that could lead to faster, more accurate tests for diagnosing West Nile Virus and bird flu. Representing the first "medium-scale integrated molecular circuit," it is the most powerful computing device of its type to date, they say.

The new technology could be used in the future, perhaps in 5 to 10 years, to develop instruments that can simultaneously diagnose and treat cancer, diabetes or other diseases, according to a team of scientists at Columbia University Medical Center in New York and the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. Their study is scheduled to appear in the November issue of the American Chemical Society's Nano Letters, a monthly peer-reviewed journal.

"This is a big step in DNA computing," says Joanne Macdonald, Ph.D., a virologist at Columbia University's Department of Medicine. Macdonald led the research team that developed MAYA-II (Molecular Array of YES and AND logic gates) ¯ a "computer" whose circuits consist of DNA instead of silicon. She likens the significance of the advance to the development of the earliest silicon chips. "The study shows that large-scale DNA computers are possible."

"These DNA computers won't compete with silicon computing in terms of speed, but their advantage is that they can be used in fluids, such as a sample of blood or in the body, and make decisions at the level of a single cell," says the researcher, whose work is funded by the National Science Foundation. Her main collaborators in this study were Milan Stojanovic, of Columbia University, and Darko Stefanovic, of the University of New Mexico.

Macdonald is currently using the technology to improve disease diagnostics for West Nile Virus by building a device to quickly and accurately distinguish between various viral strains and hopes to use similar techniques to detect new strains of bird flu. In the future, she suggests that DNA computers could conceivably be implanted in the body to both diagnose and kill cancer cells or monitor and treat diabetes by dispensing insulin when needed.

Scientists have tried for years to build computers out of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), nature's chemical blueprint for life. But getting nano-sized pieces of DNA to act as electrical circuits capable of problem-solving like their silicon counterparts has remained a major challenge.con't

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 7:25pm
http://www.topix.net/health/west-nile

Web site for updates for west nile .in USA .........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic