Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Tell me why it is not in the US???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vagabond74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tell me why it is not in the US???
    Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:21pm
I've read hundreds of news articles on the bird flu and where it has spread. Tell me why it's not in the US yet. I mean...it's all over, but not here? That just doesn't make sense. Is that to say, the US has magically fended it off for 5 years? Does anyone think it might be here and we just don't know it yet?

HUMAN CASES OF BIRD FLU
26 July 2006
Country Cases Deaths
Azerbaijan 8 5
Cambodia 6 6
China 19 12
Djibouti 1
Egypt 14 6
Indonesia 54 42
Iraq 2 2
Thailand 23 15
Turkey 12 4
Vietnam 93 42
Total 232 134
Source: World Health Organization

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Ben Franklin
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:28pm
Welcome aboard, vagabond,  It isn't here, and let's hope it STAYS that way.  From what I have seen it's  only infected persons who have everyday close contact with domestic fowl.  Or who drink Raw Duck Blood.  Most Americans don't fall into either category. 
vagabond74 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vagabond74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:38pm
 it's  only infected persons who have everyday close contact with domestic fowl.  Or who drink Raw Duck Blood.  Most Americans don't fall into either category. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You haven't met my friends!LOL 

but seriously, I think some of these infected birds must be in the US by now. They migrate every year.  Even though they aren't infecting people, they must be here...right?  How could they not be? It's just not adding up.. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Ben Franklin
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:34pm
There was an effort this Spring to test for BF in the incoming flocks of migrating birds entering Alaska from Siberia.  I haven't seen any results yet, but one lone bird on an island off the Aleutians was found to have died form BF, I believe.  Whoever was doing the testing, Marine & Woldlife or otherwise, was in a No Win situation - find nothing and you're wasting Taxpayers' Money.  Find something and you face "Is that all you're doing about it?" syndrome.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 3:49am
It took time for the virus to move west across Eurasia. It's coming. High path H5N1 in birds will get here this fall on the east atlantic flyways.   Why it didn't get here a year ago east asia flyway, I don't know. It may be that that route is mostly costal birds who don't make it to the big western china wildlife mixing areas like quinghai lake.

It may be here already in wildlife, unrecognized. Once it gets here it will be here for a long time.

gardener
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 6:50am
Bush allocated $4 million for testing the migratory birds for BF thus far and about 50,000 have already been tested in Alaska (they nest their in the summer after arising from Asia).  None have tested positive yet.  These birds will migrate south this fall and will be tested throughout the lower 48 as they arrive.  Birds in the pacific flyway migratory paths have been tested on an ongoing basis like the Alaska birds.  Nothing has been positive so far.  There is a coordinated effort among agencies in the US to stay on top of this - there's some good information on the pandemicflu.gov website. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 6:52am

That's supposed to arriving Asia.  Oops.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 6:52am
From Asia.  I need more coffee.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 6:57am
lol!
 mcKayla, You can just hit the edit button right below your post to fix errors.Smile
 I just had to do that myself in another post, still tired myself!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 7:30am
Thanks for the info Mckayla. You obviously know more about this than I do. Do you think it is coming to the states this fall with the southern migration?

gardener

p.s. don't forget to include coffee in your preps!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 8:13am
You can never have too much coffee stored away!  Thanks, Hope4Us for the editing tip.  Gardner, there's a plan in place to test the migratory birds coming south from Alaska this fall.  Each state is involved -  the specific places to be tested will depend on the pattern of the migration such as resting layover areas, etc.  This may call for testing on private land, public recreation areas, etc., but there seems to be alot of vigilance in place specifically for this fall's migration.  Evidently there are 4 migratory flyways that cross over the US, and there is a council that monitors each, and works with other agencies so that all efforts are coordinated. I should add that the Dept. of Agriculture in each state is very involved, at least they are in GA.  They govern veterinarians in the state among other things, and information was shared at a state veterinarian meeting last spring about bird flu and monitoring.  Our state epidemiologist is a veterinarian.  There are guidelines for the public as to what to do if they come across dead birds, especially birds of prey and waterfowl.  Songbirds seem to be less threatening, but I don't know why.   The more eyes, the better.  Your state's Dept of Agriculture is a good site to look at from time to time.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 12:09pm
I spoke with someone from one of the agencies in Alaska that is doing the testing. He said that one of their teams would be in the field until mid Sept and his three other teams were coming in at the end of this week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic