Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

For Doctors, Nurses, and other medical em - Event Date: August 19 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: For Doctors, Nurses, and other medical em
    Posted: August 19 2006 at 8:11pm
I'd like to use this forum to ask all the physicians, nurses and other medical oriented personnel what they are planning to do should this avian flu epidemic hits.  I'm asking because my husband is a family practice physician and frankly, it's scaring me to death.  I've read a lot of the postings on this website and everyone I think is in complete agreement that the best plan to defend your family from this is going to be to shelter in place.  But medical personnel aren't going to be given that luxury.  They are going to be thrust into a situation where on DAY ONE that this thing hits, they and their families are in mortal danger.  No one in the medical field will be able to leave home and then re-enter with an assurance that they're not taking death back to their families.  Reports show you can be infected two days prior to actually showing symptoms, so it's going to be impossible for him to go to work and then seclude himself from family if he gets sick.  And let's face it, a family practice physician, nurses, EMT's, etc - they're ALL going to be right there on the front line.  If anyone is going to get sick, they will.  Saying that they'll just stay home and not go to work isn't an option for a lot of doctors in some states as it's considered "abandoning your patients" and could be pursuit as a criminal act.  So what to do? 
I am concerned about supplies.  Or the lack thereof.  My husband doesn't own his practice, and is in with four other doctors.  They have about twenty people who work there.  I asked him what the plan was, and there isn't one.  He said they were each issued ONE N95 mask by the "head office" and was told to put it somewhere they could find it.  That's it.  I couldn't believe it and even asked his nurse, who's usually a bit more in touch with office protocol as he's so absorbed with patients and she agreed and said she hated it, but that the office staff were issued one mask and that was it.  It had not been talked about at any meetings; no emergency drills were in place.
So I started researching with other doctors whom I'm friends with to see if my husband's practice was just totally out of the solar system on this - what were other practices doing?  Most of these are doctors that my husband did residency with and who I'm still in contact with and asked them honestly what they were doing.  They were all in the same position - they had "some" masks on hand but really only enough to cover the staff if an infectious patient came in.  And one physician, in a major US port city told me that her office had even told the doctors that if they were that worried about it, then they could buy the materials for the staff.  I was horrified.
BUT one hospital thirty miles from me is having WEEKLY drills for their staff.  (Hurray!)  Everyone is to know where to go and what their job will be as they'll be separating the infectious areas from the usual hospital patients.  The hospital five miles from me isn't doing much of anything.  Confused There is obviously a wide spectrum of preparedness, but I'm concerned for the medical community as individuals. 
So all of these medical staff are going to be placed into a position of knowing ahead of time that they're not going to be protected.  They're not going to be able to go to work and know with any measure of comfort that they won't get this or bring it back home again.  So then it becomes a question of go to work, or quit your job (because they'll never be able to work there again) and hide?  The ethical delimma of choosing to care for a stranger in time of crisis at the cost of your family's health is a horrible situation to contemplate.  If they choose not to go to work it could impact our medical response as much as lack of proper equipment and supplies. 
I am stockpiling, and of course, I've bought enough masks that my husband can take them to work to distribute as extras.  He's not going to hide at home, as much as I might secretly want to.  I'm proud of him for his dedication to his patients and his staff but terrified for my unborn child, 2 year old and 4 year old children.  He's going to meet with the other doctors about them buying more, too, but that hasn't happened. 
I'd like to know your thoughts on this, as well as to these questions:  What is your work situation like with this?  Do you feel protected?  Do you have any advice to share with others in ways to prepare a work environment for this?  Advice on how to approach a boss or financial point person on funding for preventive equipment?  (Keep in mind, for a small practice we're talking about thousands of masks, a large practice would be even more, just to cover the multiple waves and the patients as well as staff.  This isn't even taking into account the extra hand sanitizer, soap, tissues, gowns, etc. that all needs to be ordered and stocked on hand to have in case of a direct hit of avian flu.  We've figured he'd need to rent a storage unit to hold it all.) 
Thank you for your candidness.  I know I'm not the only medical personnel's family member thinking about this. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 8:47pm
Have the doctors live in designated motels away from family for the duration.  The state will commondere them for this purpose.

Or pick one house for them all and have the wives and children of that house stay with other family for a time.

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 12:00am
I am also a family practioner and I also have a wife,kids,and grandkids. I would recommend that you have enough food and water at your home for you and your family. What I am going to do is stay in my office where I have food and water so that I do not contaminate my family. But the hard decision to make is when to start,because like you said,this can invect you or anyone else for at least a couple of days before you get sick,so it is possible that everyone in the family could be infected before anyone knows it,so there goes my plan.Another thing that you and your husband has to think about is that if this thing hits hard,the government will declare marshall law and then every physician will be under the command of the government. Your husband could be taken by force and sent any where to work,but you and your family still have to survive.Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 5:16am
(Gardener: if you read this thread - this is why IMHO those that serve AND their families, have to be given first priority for prophylactic treatment. If someone serves society in any capacity that has been deemed crucial to this event, they should be protected as much as possible.)

4abbie&maddie: What a heartfelt post! I hear your desperation and your bravery! We are all going to be on the front lines when this hits. Exposure to one sick family member will do the same amount of potential damage as 100. Realistically, SIP will only work for a short period of time unless you are Bill Gates and have been able to create an island for yourself. Most of us do not have that option. Someone on the front lines of the medical profession will have as much exposure as a retail worker who mans his post, as a truck driver who stays the course to deliver food and water, and as the grave digger dealing with bodies. And we will all come into contact with asymptomatic carriers.

We are all in this together, and we are all afraid.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 8:59am
Johnray1 - What would be your advice in terms of stockpiling supplies within the practice for this situation?  What is your plan for addressing staff concerns to ensure that they will show up to work?  My husband's nurse is really upset about it all, she told him that she's serious about "maybe not coming in."  She's like his RIGHT arm in getting things done, if she weren't there to help him it'd be a lot harder on him.  And I know other offices will be slowed down if staff elects not to show up to work..... Thanks for your reply.  (it makes me feel a bit more sane to know other people are thinking and worrying about this too!)
BobFMB View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 9:19am
As of right now  does anyone know how infective the virus is in light of universal precautions?  As a dentist, I'm exposed to the mouth 24/7 with lotsa water spray, blood, saliva etc.  I think I'll only open for true emergencies, and offer palliative care at that.  I would not ask staff to come in.  Are there any other dentists out there?
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 6:55pm
4abbie&maddie,your husband will have to stock at least two weeks of food and water for himself and each office staff that shows up for work. As to if any of the staff will show up is hard to tell.I do not even know if my staff will show up. Everybody has their own problems.  By two weeks we will either have a handle on this or it will be so wide spread that surviving in place will mean nothing. Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 4:47am
wartning, long rambling, slightly emotional post ahead.

4abbie&maddie,

I feel awful for families of physicians and nurses who may have to work. I have thought a lot about what I would do if I had dependents (other than furry ones) and I truly don't know.

I work in a hospital in pediatric critical care.   When the disease hits our hospital, I plan to go to work and stay there until either I get sick and get over the disease or the first wave passes. My feild is kind of doc-intensive, and most of my peers have kids. If my partner, who an adult critical care physician, gets sick, then I'll probably rearrange my priorities.

My university is one of only a couple of institutions that offfers a masters degrees public health and disaster management. As such, we are (supposedly) at least 18 months ahead of other hospitals in planning. I think that means that we only are better able to recognize the deficiencies in our preparation. Our children's hospital has just spend about 150,000 to buy personal protective equipment (masks and gowns), extra oxygen delivery supplies, extra IVs, IV tubing and IV fluids, oral rehydration salts, and extra tamiflu and antibiotics and sedatives. Altogether we estimate that our extra supplies will last us about 2 weeks. We had to use 10,000 of our budget to pay to store this stuff. In that we haven't spent a penny on food, water, blankets for staff who stay to work.   Here's an example of the huge problems we encounter. Hand sanitizer is very flammable, so if you keep more than about 3 days supply for our hospital around, OSHA requires special hazardous materials storage which costs a fortune.

For those of you who are not in medicine, think how overwhelming it was to spend part of your tight budget to prepare for a famiy of 4-7. Then multiply by the 200 staff and their 500 patients what fill the hospital. I feel that it is nearly impossible for hospitals or clinics to be prepared.

I feel that my institution is trying to protect me, but I don't feel protected. even if we have enough masks and gowns, all it takes for us to expose ourselves is to touch our noses with a gloved hand, or use a telephone or a keyboard that an infected person just used. I have no delusions about how conscientious I will be able to be after working in a war zone for two weeks.

I don't have any advice except to talk as a couple about what you'd do. It might be helpful to talk about what you would do in different types of pandemic. In a mild pandemic, (say a death rate of < 1/2 % mostly impacting the elderly and those with comorbidities) the role that doctors and hospitals play in keeping communities together will be important. Your husband's risk would be lower in such a pandemic, because ( I assume) he's healthy.   If the disease is even half as nasty as it is currently in asia, there may not be much sense in doctors and nurses going to work at all. Using the numbers from the most recent publication on outcomes (Intensive Care Med. 2006 Jun;32(6):823-9), I roughly estimate that about 2 medical personell would die for each life saved in the ICU. Society will need doctors and nurses after this is all over. It stands to reason that society would be best served in the long run if medical people suffer a mortality rate that is not significantly higher than the general population. Otherwise, we'll be left short for a decade at least, untill new people can be trained to fill the positions of those who died.

I'm saying this to say that although I plan to go to work, I don't think it is unethical for doctors and nurses and repiratory therapists and so on to stay home to protect themselves and their families, particularly if the mortality rate is high. I think it is a decision that each person has to make for themselves. As a pediatrician, I think that if it's bad, those of us without children should work, and those with children should stay at home to protect the next generation. frankly, it's not doctors who will be most needed. Diagnostic skills don't matter much when everyone has the same disease. What we need is more nurses and respiratory therapists.

I truly don't believe that doctors or nurses will be forced to work. The military has the power to do this in every state (doctors can basically be conscripted into military service.) If it's bad enough for the military to think of doing this, they will have their hands full keeping order and distributing food. I know that our hospital has no plans to force anyone to work.

You could also talk to your husband about what would be his triggers for coming home to stay. Maybe he comes home when they run out of masks and gloves. Surely he comes home if one of you gets sick. It might make you feel better to know.

I wish I could help,

gardener
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 11:37am
Thank you gardener, Johnray1 and all of you for the replies, it really is helpful advice and it's so heartwarming to read the replies.
Frisky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 2:01pm
   I plan to work in the ER during a pandemic, but I long ago recognized my limits. The kids and significant others hopefully will all go to the ranch and sit it out. My wife will probably work from home and we can isolate from each other fairly easily due to the floor plan although she may also go to the ranch. I plan to work 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week. I have shown in studies of productivity of physicians in our ER that it falls dramatically after about 8 to 10 hours and 12 hours of going hard is about all most persons including myself can do. I worked very hard for 14 hours with practically no break during a flu epidemic once and the next day was still exhausted. I will need to leave the ER to recharge and plan to leave at the 12 hour mark no matter what for self preservation. I would not like to stay at or live at the hospital under the conditions I envision.  ER Doc
It is better to give than to receive.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 2:10pm
Frisky, I admire your selflessness and your energy! Thank you in advance for all you may be called to do. I thank your wife and family for their selflessness too.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 2:46pm
You guys are truly impressive.  I hope that your med centers are doing some planning ahead of time.  I know that some state governors are now planning on building makeshift outdoor triage units using tents in the event of a pandemic.  It seems like a good idea because the patients would be out of the hospital altogether.  Offsite / separate isolation seem like the wise approach. 

Desert Dan View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 3:03pm
They could set up tents in covered parking garages.  At least the tents would be out of the direct  sun, rain or snow etc.

I think people will  be sent home if there is nothing the hospitals can provide.
Mary J View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 7:17pm
I'm a 48 yr old nurse with ICU/PCU/PACU/Home health experience-so I plan to work and isolate myself from my family if mortality and transmission rates are high. We have a farm about 1.5 hrs from where my son and daughter will be living (daughter  just starting out as a new graduate RN and  son will be a Junior in college)anyway-they can retreat easily to the farm with my husband intil the events pass over.

I hope my 22 yr old daughter escapes the pressure to work, since RNs will be in greater demand after the pandemic, but she says she's not afraid and wants to be of help.
I guess I'll start prepping now with additional supplies for medical support, fuel, food, etc. I've been just watching and "mentally" prepping-but feel that I have to begin accumulating stuff now.
Getting young adult kids ready for college & carreer is keeping me from spending $$$ earlier.

It's interesting to me that they both will be moving from 2 different small towns to the same large city close to our retreat.
God's providence in effect once again!

I really appreciate the MDs contributions-many of your posts are being forwarded to other professionals who are learning from your input. Great ideas for logistical planning being shared.
Keep up the good work!
MJ
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 7:21pm
I've spoken with our epidemiologist here in our town, who is making the town plan of action and she stated that churches and schools are both being considered as flu treatment sites.  They both usually have kitchen facilities, multiple bathrooms and large open spaces that can be used to set up beds and sick areas.  Heat, air, etc.  (I hadn't even thought about churches.)  I spoke to my Aunt in Alabama, and she contacted her Health Dept and spoke to the person there that was coordinating their response plan and they are also considering churches and schools.  If you're curious, you might call your Health Dept and ask who is the point person for your county or city or town for this and call them and ask "What is the plan?"  I've found them to be open to my questions, and even shared with the epidemiologist some resources that I had that she had not seen, such as the FoxNews Special on bird flu, called "Bird Flu Fact or Fiction."  It was a one hour special hosted by Newt Gingrich.  If you do find out your town's plan, write back as I'm curious what the plans are for different areas in addition to the questions outlined up top.  I outlined some of my concerned up top and she said that she really appreciated the potential problems and some of my proposed solutions for those.  (It made me feel better to talk to her, and voice my opinion, anyway.  Ha.) 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 7:47pm
I have been thinking about this thread since I read it yesterday. It is filled with a lot of heartfelt emotion and good will. I was trying to imagine a scenario that would protect doctors/staff and their families. Anharra has a great idea -- have doctors on call stay at designated motels near the hospital. Is it even possible that a Ronald McDonalds house ( or a similar home used for out of town family stay) be used for such a purpose? Is it  possible that something like a meals on wheels could provide nutritious meals for those on duty? I am just a layperson here, but I do care and hope some plans can be set to protect those that protect us.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 8:00pm
Unfortunately, a lot of towns don't have things like Ronald McDonald houses (we don't), and meals on wheels are dependent on volunteers.  But you're right, his idea of the hotels is a good one, and probably what will happen.  It does make for some potential victims for the families - I know I'm not going to sleep with him gone, I'm going to be terrified someone will break in, havoc; what if the kids (or myself) get sick?  Going to stay somewhere else isn't an option for us - our family lives right outside NYC and that's the LAST place I'll want to be when this thing hits.  So we'll SIP and just make do as best we can without Daddy.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 8:19pm
your plan for addressing staff concerns to ensure that they will show up to work? 
.........................................................................................................................
In 1918 few showed up, they had to use clergy and nuns as nurses.
...........................................................................................

You mentioned he may have to buy his own supplies?

one suit each day?   299.00 per month

n/a

Part Number: F-EM505

Protection Clothing Against Pandemic Flu
Weight: lbs.
Price: $299.00
**Price subject to change without notice**

< name=1 =ViewCart.jsp?=addItem method=post>Enter Qty:< maxLength=4 size=4 value=1 name=Qty>< = value=55D0000-1138036450 name=ListID>< =submit value="Add To Cart" name=Submit2>

Description:
F-EM505 Flu kit includes coverall of 50gsm Sureshield, white, with hood, WECR style, one piece torso, double per flap, V-shape crotch, with 1.5cm re-inforced stripe at crotch and armpit, elastic at wrists,waist and ankles. #5 zipper,no pockets, no printing on the coverall; Two pieces of vinyl gloves, natural color; Two pieces of shoe cover, 40gsm PP, white, regular, latex elastic, size:L(39cmX16.5cm); Face mask with eye shield, white,made of 18gsm PP+20gsm meltbrown+ 25gsm PP, white. The eye shield is made of transparent plastic. The entire kit is packed in one polybag. There are 30 kits/carton per size -- sizes offered by the carton of 30 kits includes S, M, L, XL, XXl, XXXL, XXXL. Sold as 1 carton of 30 kits

TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 3:59pm
O.K. folks its been awhile since I've chimed in, and not be the wet blanket but here are the latest facts as we are being told in the EMS arena.
1.  EMS dispatch will change during an event to include interviewing the caller as to if they are experiencing flu like symptoms, (thus negating their emergency with referrals to other options).
2. The last that my state heard from the CDC is that if a Fire Department Ambulance is used to transport an Avian Flu patient then that ambulance is Out Of Service indefinitely!  Since currently there is no available/effective disinfectants to decontaminate the ambulance.
3. NEHC's (Neighborhood Emergency Help Centers) will have to be established and people will have to go there to be triaged-either to the hospital, ACC or back to their homes.  I'm sure that most of you can see the correlation between the NEHC's and WW II Germany train yards.
4.  ACC's (Acute Care Centers) will be staffed with a doctor, a nurse, an administrator and volunteers.  ACC's will NOT have ventilators and will only be providing end of life/comfort care.  Read: this is where you go to die.
In my situation, if half of my department is out sick or sheltering in place, we will be hard pressed to protect the exposures (surrounding buildings) let alone do rescues or the EMS angle.  Yes I continue to prep, and have just spent the weekend reviewing firearms safety and handling, with my teenage children.  My wife, an ER RN will be home with the children and I'll be at work, doing what "we" can. 

I apologize if the above sounds cold or cruel but that is the way it's going to have to be.  This is the only way that triage (doing the most good, for the most people, with a limited amount of supplies) will work.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 4:48pm
Thank you Terms...

A few members here have been trying to tell folks that there will be off site centers...I heard they will be in place for at least 2 yrs.  makes all kinds of sense not to transport those ill with flu.  But my guess is that it will happen anyway.  Some guy who was exposed to the H5N1 varient will
not be presenting yet and he may have an angina attack and his wife will call 911... contamination city.

Heck, even the mailman brought the flu in 1918.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 6:56pm
Let's go with fully loaded disaster tents, with heat, beds, IV bags, whatever...   Each hospital will have to use their own parking lots and structures to create the makeshift triage centers.  People can park on the streets or get shuttled in.   

We will talk to some disaster tent manufactures and see what we can put together.   

BobFMB View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 3:43am
Albert, What you are stating is very similar to our local county bird flu plan.  We will have triage, to see who is infected w bf. and tents etc. Just like you're explaining.  We are very lucky  to have an pro active public health director.  She is taking the upcoming pand very seriously and  she has already done trial runs w EMS, fire and local sheriffs dept. We were even lucky enough to have cooperation  from our surrounding counties.  They plan on mandatory shut downs of all airports, schools, and supermarkets, as well as any places where people congregate in mass.  Closing of supermarkets to soon is the only thing that might be a problem.  As soon as everyone realizes we are in trouble, there might l be looting similar to Katrina disaster.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:03am

Maybe something like this.  

Mahaffey Fabric Structures

The Super Series quickly set up, and expandable in both width and length. It has been tested for decades and can be outfitted with all accessory items. It is engineered for short-term installations (less than 2 years), and withstands winds up to 90 mph without a snow load.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 7:37am
We're now setting up a deal with a manufacturer in which they will provide the storage and setup of the new portable triage centers.  In a pandemic flu, this company will setup the tent in the med center parking lots within 72 hours.   Maybe the members here would like to earn some extra money by calling hospitals and selling triage centers?  Possibly earn big money.   Then, you all make money and we save gardener and frisky at the same time.    LOL

mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:00am
Dear Albert~  Do you think that it would be appropriate for members to post the names and locations of the hospitals that purchase the triage tents? 

Would that be any sort of violation of confidentiality, or anything?

The reason I ask is that I think my brother might seriously consider doing as you suggested...selling the units to hospitals.  He travels extensively throughout the US.  He also, just recently, has jumped on board my prepping advice and concern with the BF.  He has committed to coming and helping me with my children when TSHTF..:)  I know he is an excellent salesman, and might just consider this his contribution to the whole BF mess.

What are your thoughts on keeping track of which hospitals have already been approached?

Thanks for all your remarkable work, Albert....I seriously think you should be up for the Nobel Peace Prize...:)

Sincerely, JD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:08am
    I'm sorry to say, but you aren't likely to make a lot of money this way. Since 911 disaster preparedness plans have been scrutinized by Joint commission or jcaho accross the country. It is mandatory that all hospitals have an "all hazard disaster plan" that addresses the need for decontanimation in case of terrorist attack using chemical or biological weapons. Because of this, hospitals already have large decon tents. Our university system is planning to use these tents for triage outside our ED's.

For off site alternative care centers, I doubt anyone will go to the trouble of buying a tent. We have precious little money to spend on such things, and the county has the authority to comandeer existing buildings.   the county health departments and governmental agencies are the ones coordinating out-of-hospital care sites, along with community physcians who have office practices.

Why buy a tent when your local high school is now closed to students but has a gymnasium with mats, multiple large rooms, a heating and cooling source, bathrooms, etc. Schools and athletic centers are the planned location of non-hospital triage and care in my city.

gardener
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:09am
Mamasjob, it would have to be very organized.  If somebody is interested in doing this, then they will have register as a sub contractor for AFT, and then we would all map out the hospitals, etc....   It would be similar to a part time job that people can do from home, or on the road.  

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:23am

As a nurse with little ones at home I continue to be torn, I have  a plan to confine myself after working.  But I am really contimplating double checking my life insurance policy to see if there is some clause that would prevent my babies form collecting in the event i would die, and the insurance co. did'nt go bankrupt. The other point is that i do not have much family to take my kids if i did pass, this is a depressing thought but we have to be realistic, maybe talk to someone or have will and document s in order and given to a designated person, Again sorry for such sobering thoughts.  If  we healthcare persons are potentially continually exposed we need to think ahead for our kids and loved ones. My best to all. I think my kids are sore from all the hugs !!!!

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:24am

We were also informed that hospitals do not carry large tents like this because they would not have the ability to set them up.  Usually the selling company is responsible for the setup since they are the only ones who know how to do it.  Therefore, it's highly unlikely that a lot of hospitals have triage tents currently in place.   It also doesn't make sense to relocate med staff to schools, which may not be available, when you can treat the patients on the same premises. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

gardener, if you're in charge of the panflu planning for your center, you guys might be in trouble lol.   You have NO solid plan in place to handle the over flow, you talk about what schools "might" do, but that is poor planning. 

Albert,

That was fairly insulting. There is nothing you could possibly tell me about how underprepared my hospital or the whole medical system is for this problem. I might go so far as to say, you have no idea how screwed we are going to be.   I might even go so far as to say you can't begin to understand the logistical and other difficulties involved in coming up with a coherent plan to take care of the number of patients we expect from a cachement area of 9 million people with precious little help from government agencies.

Here's something to scare you. My university, as one of few institutions offering a masters degree in disaster management, is considered so far ahead of other institutions in planning that OSHA called us 3 weeks ago to ask if we had a plan for offering voluntary quarantine at work and post-exposure quarantine to our staff. You think we're bad...you have no idea.

While you are sheltering in place, don't mock those of us who are walking into the storm.

gardener

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:41am
gardener, I removed my post.  We're doing this entire project for you and frisky, believe it or not lol.  Your immediate comment implied that we were doing it for the money, and since greed is a pet peeve of mine, I may have misunderstood that.  However, If there is a way for the members here to make money at the same time, then we will do it.  Some members have had their cars repoed and some can't afford to prep at all.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:50am
I cannot speak for what is going on interpersonally here but we must not speak in ways that are reactionary.

There are so many ways that we can all say how bad this will be but that will only fuel panic and we are all trying very hard to stem that. Time to "suck it up". We are all walking into this storm! Clearly in different ways but walking on nonetheless. Some attempts to be of assistance may work better than others but there is no time to critique now, hopefully we will be able to later. Every effort needs to be encouraged.

Albert has made a very good point re: overflow of patients. Our town has already planned to triage within the town. Our local hospital is not equipped to handle a major auto accident so this is the best plan. The one ambulance in town and the EMS personal and first responders unable to handle the volume. Those families in need of respite care for a family member will have to bring their loved one to the ACC facility that will be in place. Site for mass graves spec'd and ready. We are standing on the beach and the tsunami is coming. Sometimes I feel paralyzed while I watch the waters recede.

We have to put aside or personal differences and work together.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

<FONT style=": #222222">We were also informed that hospitals do not carry large tents like this because they would not have the ability to set them up.  Usually the selling company is responsible for the setup since they are the only ones who know how to do it.  Therefore, it's highly unlikely that a lot of hospitals have triage tents currently in place.   It also doesn't make sense to relocate med staff to schools, which may not be available, when you can treat the patients on the same premises. 

You can only treat patients on the premises of existing hospitals if you have the staff to care for them. We expect at least 30 % of the people who take care of patients in our already overloaded hospital to show up for work.

Off site triage and care areas would be staffed by community volunteers, community physicians, and county and city health officials. If you don't think this makes sense, call your city and county planners. At least in our community, these plans are being made independent of the hospitals.

Who knows, maybe ours is the only institutions in the whole country that have decon tents.   It is true that no one around here can remember how to set the damn thing up.

gardener

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:54am
I haven't seen a hospital simulation yet in which they implemented their preparedness plans.  This tent company would be willing to help run some simulations by setting up a 10,000 sq foot tent for a day, but the med staff would obviously have to move in the medical equipment, as well as running the scenario itself.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:06am
Albert, this may be the best idea that you have had yet and you have had some good ideas. I just hope that there is enough time for implementation. We cannot rely on the medical system alone.

Even knowledge about comforting the dying seems to be what we may need to focus on also.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:08am
gardener do you have a list of equipment that should be available for each tent based on a given population served?

Also an idea of what tasks that untrained community members can accomplish. When pressed there are many people who can push the learning curve. As people realize, very quickly, what we are up against they should be put to work.

There are many communities out there without a plan of action. Something written here may help those who have to begin a response at a grass roots level. We cannot give up.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:14am
Thanks SF, the hospitals should probably be fully prepared no later than the end of September, would be my guess.  We can accomplish this if we all work together.  
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:19am
If gardener has the time, maybe she could outline the equipment and number of staff that this sort of panflu scenario would require.  Maybe all of the area med centers could share one location, which would save everybody time and money.   Maybe do it by county? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:24am
Albert, if I was wealthy enough to implement this, this is what I would have done:

I would have something set up in my own yard that would enable people to receive rudimentary care and comfort in their own neighborhood! Caring and comforting the dying and allowing family members access to their loved ones is important. I honestly cannot see isolation as working for me. I already have taken in some teenagers that are ill, I have one here now. Fever, sore throat, body aches...not pandemic flu, but my inclination is to help. We will all be exposed eventually.

Almost like a neighborhood MASH unit but without a great deal of actual "medicine" taking place. Comfort, observation, food and water when family members cannot. Those who become too ill for neighborhood care would have to be transported to the ACC. Mini-triage.

This would ease the burden further down the line for caregivers helping the very, very ill.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:25am
standingfirm and albert,

I'm sorry. I read a lot of posts taking pot shots at the medical community. I don't necessarily disagree with them.   We've certainly got our problems. Occaisionallly they push me over the edge.

I don't disagree with Albert's global assesment of the inadequacy of planning. On this forum, I'm often trying to say no, it's probably not AF--yet.   At the hospital, I'm the alarmist. My peers refer to me as the horseman of the apocalypse.

I know it seems like authorities are doing nothing, but it's just harder than you think.   Even if everyone involved is convinced of the urgency of the need, it is just damn near impossible to multiply our medical system --even a shadowly diluted version of it--by a factor of 10.   It is possible the the inadequacy of our preparations is at least in part due to the grave and vast nature of the problem, not just because we are losers.

As one who is trying to wake the system up to a problem I believe is real, Albert's comment about what a crappy job I'm doing makes me want to say "Oh yeah? You got this all figured out?!" plus a bunch of things I can't print here.

gardener

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:28am
Albert, Gardener et al,

I used to be an industrial rep for my local city. I sold mostly safety equipement, etc. I did make contact with a local hospital administration that runs several local hospitals. Procurement services are in place.

So, I could possibly help if given the information upfront -- including terms, type of payments ( most operate an invoice basis). As to the cities -- I do have contacts that might be interested in such an idea. I am scheduled for cert training in September -- and have contacts within the fire departments.

They want to see end results and if someone is willing to come out and set-up, all the better. Everything needs to meet OSHA. Someone mentioned setting up medical equipment and running drills on-site --this is a good idea.  How do these tents meet infection control guidelines?

Bottom line: surge capacity will be challenged. These tents could address that very question. We need specs to make presentations. Who might endorse such a tent -- any big players would be very helpful in the initial call. This very idea could help save lives.

p.s. I thought of something important. When people are sick a lot of them turn to hosptials for many different reasons. If they are unaware of the problem of AI and they are sick this is where they will turn and this is where they will be turned away ( due to maxed medical services). If a surge overflow tent were set up on the hospital grounds that could be of service to a lot of people.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:30am
Originally posted by standingfirm standingfirm wrote:

I would have something set up in my own yard that would enable people to receive rudimentary care and comfort in their own neighborhood!

To the best of my understanding, this is close to what is actually going to happen. You could argue that haveing triage and lower level care centers near hospitals makes sense. What has been argued is that it makes sense to have them closer to the people who need them, in neighborhood schools. If you want to voolunteer, I'm sure there will be opportunities.

I know people have said it makes the most sense to stay away from care centers, since they will have very little to offer, but imagine a family where the parents are sick and can't take care of their fkids. They will need the help of community centers just to bring them food and water and keep the rugrats out of trouble.

gardener

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:30am
gardener, we've got it all figured out.  Piece of cake.   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:32am
I understand gardener. Anyone with a true awareness of the scope of this is overwhelmed. I am and I have a rudimentary awareness.

We are all going to have our times of taking pot shots...it is hard not to vent these frustrations at the nearest person who will listen especially when your heart is to serve the best you can and you know that it won't ever be enough.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:37am
People are not going to trust those centers, especially with such a high CFR.
I am thinking much, much smaller and much less institutional for an initial response. Those who are the sickest will succumb before they can ever reach any kind of help. The children are the biggest concern especially if there parents are gone. They will not know how to seek help. There needs to be a non-threatening and safe beacon.

Disasters also bring out crimes against children, this could help that situation too.

gardener: I have already sent in the certifications that I have earned. I have volunteered. I have been telling personnel in town about this threat for 3 years now...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic