Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Aug. 20th-What have you done to prepare t

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aug. 20th-What have you done to prepare t
    Posted: August 20 2006 at 10:42pm
It has been a while since we started a new thread on prepartions so here goes.....

duchess View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:49am
I found a great deep water pump and some really huge  gas lamps.  I also purchased some good solar panel garden lights, it is rare to have a day here with out brilliant sunshine for at least a few hours so hopefully they will still work in winter.

I am still bottling and preserving our summer veg from the garden and there should be more than enough for winter.  In Bulgaria people in the villages normally have a cellar full of food as the winters can be harsh and there is not that much fresh fruit and veg available .   It's like going back 50 years in time living here but thats what I love the most about it.

Most houses have a well and people are used to suviving hard times.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 5:50am
I bought 200 more tablets of tylenol(actually generic)yesterday. More boxes of chicken soup.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 6:31am
I think we can't underestimate the importance of otc meds like expectorant , decongestant and benadryl.  If one of our family takes ill (with bf or whatever) decongestants will go far in helping decrease the risk of infection.  We need all the resources we can garner since there won't be much access to medical care.  At Dollar General this week they had select cold meds at about 1/2 price (and they are already far cheaper than brand name drugs).  I really stocked up.  They don't expire for several years so we'd use them anyway. The clerk looked at me strange.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 6:35am
Also, If I am written a prescription I decide not to fill for whatever reason, I still keep it on file at the pharmacy.  That way when TSHTF I can call them and within an hour go pick up this backlog of prescription meds for 'just in case' during the pandemic.  Usually you can fill the scripts for up to a year.  Unless it is a liquid antibiotic, most meds would keep some time to have in your homemade 'pharmacy'. I know this is probably self-evident to most people, just thought I'd say it here in case it hasn't occured to some of you.  I must admit that whenever I can I try to get my docs to write out extra scripts for illnesses - just to backlog.
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 11:22am

Well, in light of the recent developments in the news...I have modified my "last minute prep" plan.   I went ahead and placed a large insulin order from the pharmacy in Canada.  I can get it from Canada at 1/2 of what it costs at my local pharmacy. 

I also went ahead and purchased 1/2 of my "last minute prep" list..:)  It makes me feel more secure with all the happenings.  If "things" continue to progress in the news..I will go ahead and purchase the rest of my list.

As for my "regular prep" list....I currently have enough to feed my brood for 7 weeks.  I am happy with that....as I have 7 to keep comfy.

How is everyone else coming along?

JD
purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 6:18pm
For the first time i made 7 pints of jelly and it turned out  pretty well
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 6:36pm
I hugged my wife and kids
Hand-washer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hand-washer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 7:00pm
mach, you should do that several times a day.   :)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 7:52pm
SECURITY is an important to me as the food.  They sell these security "wedges" that go under your door, and when the door is opened they put out a scream of sound alerting you to an intruder.  I bought extra for the garage doors too as they'll work if I wedge them where the doors would slide up.  You can get these for under 8.00 each online and they take a 9 volt battery, no electricity.
Another thing is that I went to the boating department at Wal-Mart and bought two "Fog Horns."  If I needed help, I could press these things and they're LOUD, so it might even scare someone off.  I bought them for the main reason that if we're to the point (let's hope not) that we're doing sentry duty and one of us needed help from the other, we could signal with our horns.  With large areas (farm, large yard, large home) this might be important.  Plus in the boating dept I found orange waterproof whistles, and I got enough of those for ourselves and every neighbor in our little corner of this neighborhood.  We plan to have a meeting of immediate neighbors should this hit and talk to them about security (you watch my back, I'll watch yours.) 
But the main thing is of course firearms and ammo.  My husband is an avid shooter, participating in IDPA competitions and he's been after me for years to pick it up and go shooting with him.  This avian flu thing is what got me out there on the range.  I can now shoot center at 75 yards, my goal is to shoot 200 yards.  I can dismantle, reload, etc. - all on my own.  I will have three children to protect, and may or may not have him here to protect us, so I'm thinking ahead about how to best protect my family.  I know there's a lot of folks out there who think firearms aren't the answer, but I live in an area where they're easy to come by and most everyone has one, which means if I don't have it and use it, they probably will.  Having it and knowing how to use it gives me a feeling of empowerment and has helped me feel more in control of this in terms of our own safety.  Most towns (IN THE SOUTH) have a gun range within a 50 mile radius of them (*we have three within a 30 mile radius) so there's no reason not to take your arms and go practice. 
I've separated out our preparation list into Food and Water, Security, Heat, Medication, Lighting and Activities.  I'm trying to put some $$ every month towards each of those so that I have a well rounded stockpile and plan rather than just have one goal met.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 8:25pm
They sell these security "wedges" that go under your door, and when the door is opened they put out a scream of sound alerting you to an intruder.  I bought extra for the garage doors too as they'll work if I wedge them where the doors would slide up.  You can get these for under 8.00 each online and they take a 9 volt battery, no electricity.
...........................................................................................................

This is a good idea for basement doors also.  I bought some small ones with small batteries, they just stick on the door, high up away from kids.
half on the jamb and half on the door, switch to turn them off.
Bought them at Sams for about 10.00 for 5?  slips my mind...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 8:30pm
Today I did my "Last minute" list.......

With August 22nd in a few hours and Iran waiting for their prophecy to come trueDead,I went and got gas,fresh veggies/fruit/milk/eggs..mostly perishable stuff.

Did the same thing with NK on the 4th of July.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by 4abbie&maddie 4abbie&maddie wrote:

SECURITY is an important to me as the food.  .  We plan to have a meeting of immediate neighbors should this hit and talk to them about security (you watch my back, I'll watch yours.) 
But the main thing is of course firearms and ammo.  My husband is an avid shooter, participating in IDPA competitions and he's been after me for years to pick it up and go shooting with him.  This avian flu thing is what got me out there on the range.  I can now shoot center at 75 yards, my goal is to shoot 200 yards.  I can dismantle, reload, etc. - all on my own.  I will have three children to protect, and may or may not have him here to protect us, so I'm thinking ahead about how to best protect my family.  I know there's a lot of folks out there who think firearms aren't the answer, but I live in an area where they're easy to come by and most everyone has one, which means if I don't have it and use it, they probably will.  Having it and knowing how to use it gives me a feeling of empowerment and has helped me feel more in control of this in terms of our own safety.  Most towns (IN THE SOUTH) have a gun range within a 50 mile radius of them (*we have three within a 30 mile radius) so there's no reason not to take your arms and go practice. 
I've separated out our preparation list into Food and Water, Security, Heat, Medication, Lighting and Activities.  I'm trying to put some $$ every month towards each of those so that I have a well rounded stockpile and plan rather than just have one goal met.

4A&M  You make a valid point.  First about the neighbors.  (We use FRS and GMRS radios and have already chosen a channel.)  

The main point is the firearms.  I think EVERYBODY should take a safety course.  If for no other reason than to learn how to make a weapon safe.  I find most people "fear" of firearms is basically a lack on knowledge. 

In the aftermath of Katrina people were lining up for hours to buy a firearm.  The Police in and around New Orleans  were so overwhelmed most people were on their own.  You may not believe in guns, but the bad guys do! 

My daughter was not raised with firearms therefore was apprehensive about them.  I the mess that followed Katrina she not only approves of firearms, she wants to learn how to use them.

Again I strongly recommend that EVERYBODY age 12 and up take a basic firearms safety course.  Defense is a basic principle of survival.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 2:33am
hand-washer,

everyday I am home, many times a day. My point was needing to prepare emotionally, not just with resources. I hope of of this is just a big waste of time.
Pookey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 5:40am
Yesterday, I bought another led flashlight, several 30 packs of batteries, a cookware set, vitamins and 120 lbs of rice and beans to give out to the neighbors.  I live alone and will need their support, if the egg hits the fan.  I already have at least a years supply of food, and I am only adding more canned meats and  vegitables.  I do most of my cooking with cast iron and heavy aliminum cookware and thought that a teflon coated set would clean up with less water, if this becomes a factor.  I am going to order a water filter today to tide me over, if my stored water runs out.   I have a generator with a natural gas conversion kit, but  still want to get a small, quiet, fuel efficient Honda generator to run at times, when I don't need much power.  I am prepping for both flu and hurricane season.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 7:01am

I pick ups the sale items that are good for preps,but lately  olive oil, the price is way out there,and imported , so thats a reason to also stock up. water in heary duty plastic gallons ,6 gals, boxed rice mix 10/10,bacon bits,2. jar sauce 4,can chicken broth 4 large cans,hash 2 cans,  2 pkg cookies, but I ate one, with some help from the kids, I went to thrift store , brought new with tags a winter coat, and a lined  zipper  jacket ,slowly getting there , good luck roxy

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 7:07am
I've bought seeds.  I am buying about the same amount of open pollinating, nonhybrid seeds as I am hybrid as I'm thinking that the hybrid may produce better as they're more disease resistant, drought resistant, etc.  But hybrid seeds don't produce seeds that will produce another season so that's why I'm doing both.  I'd urge anyone to think like that, try to prepare your stocks by including items that will help you perpetuate your food and supplies (like seeds, solar power tools, etc.)  If you do go get some, get a variety of same kind but different types, like I got Kentucky peas and Long Boy peas, because one might produce better than the other given my mountainous climate.  Don't forget an extra hose, or at the least a repair kit for it, and gardening tools.  Basics like a ground breaker (has three prongs and makes "breaking ground" a cinch), hoe, shovel, ax, wedge for splitting wood and twine to make runners.  Choose an area of your yard and fence it off, or prepare to use that area to deter deer and other garden predators.  Planning ahead by buying a book on how to garden and the basics on preparing soil and so forth would be good.  I've got huskidime (southern grape) for the back fence, apple trees, blueberry bushes and with these vegitable seeds and our stockpiled food, I think we'll be fine.  I also have contacted a local goat farm and gotten info on getting goats, and researched those - when I feel like "it's really happening" I intend to go down and get two female milkers and one male stud.  Goats can eat my yard, brush (my garden area is fenced off) and I woulnd't have to worry about "feeding" them.  The milk would be good protein, I could even make butter and cheese.  Goats are much hardier than cows or horses, and reproduce quicker for meat purposes (awful, I know). 
sherriewalker View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherriewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 8:27pm
today i got my ppv23 shot. i had to go out of my county to get it but it only cost 30.00 so a little drive was worth it. they didn't ask any questions about my health like in jackson. they just gave it to me. besides that i got 1 pk of velvetta cheese and 6 cans of cream of chicken soup today. that 's all for me for a few weeks cause our car was repoed tonight.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 8:31pm
Sherriewalker, I'm sorry to hear about your car situation.  I know a lot of people on this site have money problems; they're living paycheck to paycheck.  I applaud those people even more than everyone else as it truly is more difficult for them to stockpile but their determination to do so is courageous.  Take care, and I'll pray things improve for your and your family.
matthew24:7 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew24:7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:00pm
here's what I've done so far....

I have enough 3m half masks and filters for the family. They're heavy duty and should handle most any situation. I have 750 disposable N95 type masks. 900 latex type gloves.  several chemical type splash masks, about 2 gallons of purell type hand sanitizer and a large 3 pack of lysol wipes.  The extra masks and gloves could come in handy for the neighbors, friends, church family folks that haven't prepared  or to barter with for whatever would be needed. Also went in with a friend on a private camping club site with and old trailer on it. It's about 60 miles from the largest city around here. Should provide a good escape place if needed, but it is a great place to take the family for fun now, with the pools, lake ect. It was actually very reasonably priced.  Now the next step will be to start in on the food preps and stock up on filled propane tanks for cooking and wood for heat if needed. I liked the suggestions about security measures in case the natives get restless. Not sure if folks will be as civil as during the 1918 flu or great depression era. Would be great to provide enough items to protect the local police, fire, etc to keep those services up and running.  Does anyone have suggestions as to which generators are good for typical home use? I'm not familiar with them...thanks for any and all input. Keep on keeping on.....
and there shall be famines and pestilences...after the tribulation of those days shall appear the sign of the Son of man....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by matthew24:7 matthew24:7 wrote:

here's what I've done so far....

I liked the suggestions about security measures in case the natives get restless. Not sure if folks will be as civil as during the 1918 flu or great depression era. thanks for any and all input. Keep on keeping on.....

What type of security measures are you look for.  lethal, non-lethal, or just noisy?
chevherb02 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevherb02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:33pm
 You mentioned that you could make butter and cheese from goats milk. The cheese is easy enough but unless you have a separator you won't be able to make butter. The fat molecules in goat milk are much smaller than in cow's milk so the cream neccesary to make butter will not separate on it's own.
   You are absolutely right about having different varieties of each vegetable.Folks might think about also having enough fertilizer, lime ,fungicides and insecticides on hand also. I have been an organic herb farmer for 33 years but I don't think I want to take the risk with bug damage,etc when our crops matter the most.
chevherb02
MickiD View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickiD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 4:43am
Sherrie...   I will pray for you.
I know how you feel...  we keep struggling to keep our house payment current.  We've had several close calls on foreclosure...  esp in the last 9 mo...    we finally got caught up last month on our mortgage, but once again we have no way of making this months payment.  I am really in awe of how many people on this forum are barely getting by.  It's really frustrating not knowing how we're going to get by month to month, but I'm so thankful our immediate family is all here...  (Back at the beginning of '99, the doctors gave us the devastating news that my husband had 1 yr to live).   

Luckily we haven't had a car payment in several years, but we've had to give up several luxuries... however, I refuse to give up the internet...  It's my only link to our family & out of town friends, research (like bf), homeschool resources, freecycle ( I get tons of stuff free every month from people who live near our city) and tons of other free stuff by signing up on the internet.

I thought I had enough supplies for about 7-8 weeks (10 people....   plus my oldest daughter will be delivering within the next month), however, after reading somewhere else on the forum that we needed 2000 calories/day to survive...   my 7-8 week supply got shot down to ???  I thought I was doing good getting enough for everyone to have around 700 calories/day.

On a good note...  this weeks preps include:
We rec'd 4 cases of canning pints & 2 cases of quart canning jars for free...   now if this Tx heat would calm down long enough to produce some more veggies in our garden.  We're going to can some soups & pinto/black beans just in case we loose elec/water.  Our electricity goes out all of the time... 

Also, someone off of freecyle is giving us a freezer...   hopefully we'll have that by the end of the weekend... 

I took part of our grocery money and got 20 18oz jars of Jif Peanut Butter for $1 ea,
10 boxes of off brand hamburger helper for .68/box

Tuna goes on sale today...  4 cans/$1 at one store & .39 at another store...

I also had to get school supplies/text books for my youngest daughter.

I've been taking 1/3 of my dose of beta blocker...   so now I've got a 2 month supply stocked up.    my husband has medicare, so we've been trying to get his refills at the 3 week mark. 

We rec'd another large trash bag of 2 liters from a friend.

I think that's it for this week....

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:11am
To date I have done almost enough for a year. my order from honeyville and harmony house both came in so I went to the LDS cannery and wound up with 69 cans. (This now puts me at over 200 cans) I just rearranged my prep rooms, so this additional will stay in the box until I can find some more room. I have now got  (all dehydrated) peas, green beans, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, broccoli and mushrooms. (I can live on soup, I love it! and it doesn't have a lot of smell to alert others) Also canned oats, potato flakes, 9 grain cracked cereal, Milk and eggs. I have a 50 lb bag of corn grits and another 50 lb bag of potato flakes to can, am waiting on delivery of dehydrated corn from survival acres to go can again. I have 200 lbs of different types of beans, 200 lbs rice and 100 lbs wheat berries and grinder (for when 100 lbs flour runs out) 150 lbs sugar and 60 lbs honey. Have canned about 36 jars of meats and have several cases of store bought canned meats (much more expensive) Finally got DH on a 3 month med plan (diabetes) and filled out paperwork to do same for mother. I think that I am ready to just rotate and replace now except for some non food items. Jo
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hand-washer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:27am
4abbie&maddie -- considering goats here, too.   Any idea how many acres you need per goat and how much winter food they need?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 7:30am
    I bought a pressure/canner and went to town canning fruits and vegetables. This weekend hopefully can try the meats. I canned some more butter, and bought some more shaker flash lights, never needs batteries, I really, really like these. Going to give this a shot next, not sure how well it works will let you know, but has to be much cheaper then the on line store!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Canning cheese
I read somewhere about you canning cheese. Now I can’t find out how. Can you tell me where to look or better yet, how to do it?

You won’t find this one in a canning manual, but I experimented around and found something that works for me. One day I was canning tomatoes while whacking a chunk of cheddar cheese for “lunch.” Mmmm, I wondered. Tomatoes are acid. Cheese is acid. So I cut up cubes of cheese, sitting a wide-mouthed pint jar in a pan of water, on the wood stove. Slowly cubes of cheese melted and I added more until the jar was full to within half an inch of the top. Then I put a hot, previously boiled lid on the jar, screwed down the ring firmly tight and added the cheese to a batch of jars in the boiling water bath canner to process. It sealed on removal, right along with the jars of tomatoes. Two years later, I opened it and it was great. Perhaps a little sharper than before, but great. So I started canning cheese of all types (but not soft cheeses) and, so far, they’ve all been successful. To take the cheeses out of the jar, dip the jar in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, then take a knife and go around the jar, gently prying the cheese out. Store it in a plastic zip lock bag.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/advice/aj92.html

found some great useful tips at this sight.....

matthew24:7 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew24:7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 8:46am
WOLFGANG2000

Thanks for relpying. Any and all suggestions about security are welcome. Easy to filter through and take the ones that will work for me. I guess that's what this forum is all about, to get the best tips and advice we can from each other. That's why I subscribe to several other preperation sites as I'm sure most everyone else does too. The food preperations that some of the folks are doing is interesting, since I have no clue how to can or prepare foods myself. Not sure if just buying them is better/easier or doing it yourself would be better. I have put off the food preps until I got my longer shelf life items done. I'm not sure how long canned goods can last. I'm assuming several years. Thanks for any and all info.........
and there shall be famines and pestilences...after the tribulation of those days shall appear the sign of the Son of man....
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hand-washer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 9:04am
matthew24.7 -- if you are not familiar with food canning or preparing, you may be better off to purchase canned items in the grocery store.   It takes some time to learn to preserve food correctly, and while it is helpful to learn to do so, I emphasize the CORRECTness needed, so as not to waste time and materials and risk food poisoning.   If you could find somebody who is familiar with the canning process, perhaps they would help you learn.

Do a web search for shelf life of canned goods and you'll find plenty of information that will aid you in planning.
Char View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Char Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 1:05pm
Going grocery shopping tomorrow and plan to add more paper products to the preps.  We've been talking about putting in a well, would be great not only for prepping, but also just for gardening in general, people in our neighborhood already have one, think we'll talk to a few of them so we can figure out the best way to go about it. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 5:16pm
I don't want to hijack the tread.  I personally believe that being able to protect yourself, family, and what you have stored, is as important as storing the supplies in the first place. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 5:31pm
I finally was able to purchase powdered milk, eggs and some farina from honeyville!
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 7:23pm

On the goat question. Goats eat about 1/4 of a bale of hay a day [good hay 2nd or 3rd cutting] if they are milking you have to provide grain too. A couple of pounds a day will work. now to pasture them it depends on how good your pasture is . A 1/2 acre of good pasture per goat will work. Now my pasture is crap so i would need to double that at least.

FYI you might want to look into a Dexter cow, They are not much bigger than a goat and they are supposed to be hardy

Ive been canning and freezing. We purchased another genny too. Im looking at getting a bigger freezer too
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hand-washer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 7:14am
janetn - thanks for the goat info.   I think it's something worth considering, as is the Dexter cow. Better size than a Holstein, for sure. I've heard French Alpine goats have the best milk.    Any preference from your perspective on goat breed?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 7:51am
It's time for AFT to start generating some revenue.   We're going to make some changes next week.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:27am
[QUOTE=wolfgang2000]I don't want to hijack the tread.  I personally believe that being able to protect yourself, family, and what you have stored, is as important as storing the supplies in the first place. 

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 8:39am
Wolfgang2000, we don't want to place any links to that forum.

Thanks.
A

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:17am
Led flashlight- crank.  Going to work on bug-out bags and last minute list of needed items and other little things i need to get done around the house.**** IDEA- if you have a family member or friend prepping, maybe a last minute list of items to get to divide and conquor.  I am working on a list for everyone to "do" or things to "get" in the event i am at work and we go into "poo hitting the fan" mode.  Like having a relative take my kid to get all her school books, get $ -small bills from bank, fill up gas cans, fill up containers with water, while me and hubby stop at stores with our designated list of things to get. Cook a few meals and freeze. Wink  Does anyone else have a similar plan, to have family divide up the "last minute" duties ???  Maybe there are some areas we/ I have forgotten.
Kandiskane View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kandiskane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:54am
I bought an Excaliber food dehydrator on Ebay, and today bought 6 gals of drinking water. I'm going to Costco also, and will buy another package of toilet paper, kleenex, and paper towel.  Is anyone else dehydrating food, and making 'mixes' for soups? I was concerned about running out of vegetables, until I could grow some,...and winter coming. I'm looking into a propane generator, but it could be expensive. I really appreciate this forum. Now I don't feel like the only one out here worried about it! When I tell most people about what I'm doing they just roll their eyes. I found out about this forum on birdflubreakingnews.com   Thanks!
Not to decide is to decide.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Wolfgang2000, we don't want to place any links to that forum.

Thanks.
A

OK sorry I didn't know.  I was just trying to help Matthew.
sherriewalker View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherriewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 8:39pm
i got 1 can of powered eggs today from honnyville.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 8:53pm
Good job Sherrie.  

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 9:46pm
I bought 6 more gallons of Clorox, replaced some canned food items that we had used and bought some fresh food items and fresh milk, I have been trying to keep up with milk, fresh produce, etc. instead of waiting until I am totally out I have been trying to have more in the house. Just in case.
duchess View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 2:16am
I have just finished making 35 litres of Rakia which is a form of plum brand drank in vast quantities here.  It came out at 60% proof so winter should be quite cheerful!
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 8:49am
hi all ,havent posted for a while ,been working long hours.....still prepping,stocking,following all the world events of the past month, it has been a crazy month.... i have to get updated on batterys and stuff for the impending hurricanes,and spark up the generator to make sure it still works
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 3:40pm

I got food for my girlfriend and brought a couple of interesting items. I got more shot gun shells and  I found my SKS assault rifle and my 22 cal rifle. 

My sks is in rough shape and needs to be cleaned.  The 22 cal is ok.
   thanks
KOMET163
He who laughs last laughs hardest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic