Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Aug. 20th-What have you done to prepare t

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 5:02pm
Yesterday I placed an order with bulkfoods.com for 5 pounds each of dried mixed veggies and mixed fruit, plus a pound of cheese powder to experiment with.

Today I spent the afternoon organizing the pantry. Too often I've come in from grocery shopping and put cans wherever they would fit just to get them out of the way. Now I can see what I have and what I need to buy. Tomorrow I'll do an inventory, which hasn't been done in several months, and next week will buy enough groceries to fill in the gaps and bring my stockpile to the six month level. After eating far too many tempting snack preps I finally found a solution to keep them out of sight and mind: they're now kept in the trunk of my car.  Tongue
candice View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 5:38pm
I bought 20 cans of peaches
ten pound bag of rice
2 packs coffee

I have enough now rice and flour sugar  tea salt to last four months  I think
I am now focasing on can food. 

Can fruit and vegetables, tuna I will buy beans as a sourse of protein other than can tuna all can meat is horrible.
If you cant get in the front door try the side door then the back door.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 6:33pm
candice -  thought the same about canned meat but I bought some and tried it in some soups and stews and it really isn't too bad when mixed in with lots of other stuff. 

GG
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 6:47pm
Today I put back all my food I've been rotating..

I also got an 55 oil drum. This will be a burning barrel...chop holes in the sides to vent and take the top off.....I believe garbage service my stop and this will be good to burn paper products.

I also canned 12 quarts of tomato's.

I got 2 more containers of power brown gravy
1 more container of power chicken gravy
2 more 8 packs of corn.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by duchess duchess wrote:

I have just finished making 35 litres of Rakia which is a form of plum brand drank in vast quantities here.  It came out at 60% proof so winter should be quite cheerful!

Sounds like you will have the holidays under control...Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:09pm

i bought more raman noodles on sale along with 8 massive (3 qt size at price club) orange juices (no refridgeration required kind)

finished off my meds stash with 50 more resperators.  all i need now is our rx meds.

20 packages of mre's off ebay.   6 cans of red feather canned butter,,yum!!

bought tins off ebay to hold saltine crackers fresher, longer. i will rotate my 10 4 packs each of saltines.

tomorrow i am off to get seeds for my soon to be installed window boxes and containers as one of my fellow preppers on this board recommended when i i complained i didn't have sunny enough patch of land to grow veggies. =) awesome idea!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by candice candice wrote:

Can fruit and vegetables, tuna I will buy beans as a sourse of protein other than can tuna all can meat is horrible.

can i just tell you that internet grocer.com sells awesome canned meat.  tastes like what it's supposed to taste like! =)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:02pm
I bought 10 more cans of soup, mostly vegetable.  Also bought more masks, but don't know how effective the N95 masks will be.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 3:40pm

really lucked out today,,they had 24 pack waters on sale for 2.99

i got 6 =)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 11:32am
We had a yard sale this last weekend. I forgot (or never knew) how much work that was, especially making and putting up signs (we placed an ad too). But we did well, got rid of most of the stuff we didn't need and got money for it to buy preps. I've wanted to buy some sprouters and dehydrator.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 2:19pm
Got the chimney cleaned today.  Had the boiler checked last month.  All set for heating season now.
purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 3:31pm
I canned five pints of buter.plan on doing six more pints of strawberry jam
femvet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 2:30pm
Took our weapons in to be professionally serviced and bought a Glock, fits us both. Added cleaning kit and ammo. Bought a bunch more pasta, both low-carb and regular. Made more complete meal-kits. Replaced food which had been rotated out.
I have used up every single inch for storage and will have to buy a shelving unit for more canned goods. Grrrr.
Namaste
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 7:11pm
  Hi everyone I just returned from vacation last night.  It's great to be back.  My husband went out today and bought 15 more gallons of water.  While I was gone I think that's all he bought.  When I came thur the door, I was actually tripping over water.  I know you can never have enough water but this is a bit strange for him to be doing.  He also bought another gun, I'm not sure what kind yet.  Tomorrow I will go out and buy a few things, then try to find room for the water.
duchess View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 12:50am
I've just dried about 20 kilo's of grapes , the small black ones turning into raisins and the big juicy green ones into sultan's  I don't have a proper food dryer,  I just turned my oven down to 50%c, propped the oven door slightly ajar and left them for 26 hours and they taste wonderful.
MickiD View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickiD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 2:57am
We had a few good bargains at the grocery story this week...  splurged a bit...  
Tuna 4/$1 - stocked up on 20 cans
Mac & Cheese 5/$1 - stocked up on 25 boxes
Tea bags - 2 boxes of 100ct @ .50ea
Rice - (8) 1lb bags @ .25 ea
Beans - (12) 1lb bags @ .25 ea

We got our FREE deep freezer picked up (Freecycle) & it works! 

We're still waiting for our garden to start producing veggies again...  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 10:48am

We went to sports academy to finish up ammunition supply, fishing tackle with pre-pkg bait, and the solar shower I have been looking for for about 6 wks. Every time I go to dollar general I purchase 6 gal. water, 1 -24 rl. pkg of tp , and 1-6 pkg of d cell batteries. This works out to about 10.00 a wk. I cooked an 11 lb. bx of wallyworld hamburger patties on the grill last weekend, then put them in frig, and then stored in freezer bags. When you want to heat up, small pan of simmering water, drop in patty, adds moisture and  taste like it has come right off of grill. Slowing down on prepping a little bit, medical problems (good thing I went to eye doctor now instead of waiting) and please keep me in ya'lls prayers

Hand-washer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hand-washer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 11:31am
duchess, your grapes sound wonderful.   I think with purple ones (Concord) I shall make grape jelly and grape juice.   Can't believe the difference in taste between fresh/frozen and the canned product.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 5:41pm
  Hi Texasgirl, thanks for the welcome back home,greeting on the Ms. forum. I've been home 3 days and have been to to store twice.  I bought 5  jars of peanut butter and jelly combination  3jars of soy butter.  The soy butter is really good.  You might want to buy a jar and try it.  I bought 2 aprons ,36 cups of instant soups.  Two bottles of shout stain remover.  2 pacificers thermometers, for babies just in case I need to help someone. 1 pill spliter, measuring cups and a few other kitchen items.  Can anyone tell me wether they are buying a mixer to use in making bread, if so, I would like to buy one that's good and also reasonable priced.  Thanks everyone
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 6:29pm
 hi to all, my sister and I went  to Price Rite, best prices around, bring you own bags, no great variety, but most veggies 3/100, got 36 cans, tuna 2/100, got 48 cans, evaporated milk 2/100, 8 cans?,exlarge can liptons ice tea mix,4.99 ,2 cans,tomatoe soup 2/89, 4 cans,cream of chicken,2/89 , 4 cans,cornbeef hash 99, 2 cans,lg jar apple butter ,99, folgers lg container 5.99, 2,stewed tomatoes 2/100, 2chicken broth 3/100,6 cans,the best of all , vanilla pure extact 1 oz 99 cents, I couldn't believe it, i paid 4.99 for the same amount elsewhere , i brought 8 bottles, plan to back and get more of it. plain olive oil 7.99 for 1/2 gallon, flour 99c, 1bag, eggs 99c . the tomatoes  fell  from the plants from the storm we had, cutting them up to freeze , beams too and some i'm drying  out, the grapes are ready their falling from the vines , making jelly, over the weekend and may try my hand at making raisins also, but don't think I have the right type to do this. this weeked I;m going to paint the living room,  my short three day weekend has filled up with alot of projects, to much to do too little time, and by the way all the kids have other things to do, lol ,as usual, roxy
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 6:43pm
  I would like to order a uncooked salt cured ham.  Someone had posted the website and I wrote it down, but now I can't find it.  If any one can remember where it was posted, will you please let me know or post the website for me.  Thank you so much.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 10:16pm
Hi Mississipp Mama.  So glad to see you back here as well. Now, what is soy butter?  Never heard of it.  Thanks.
guestappearance View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guestappearance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 1:40am
Mississipp Mama ,
 Here's the web site:
http://www.virginiatraditions.com/store_cook#ham
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 2:49pm
  Guestapperance thanks for the website.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 2:58pm
  Texasgirl, Soybutter is made out of soybeans and soybean oil.  It has the creamy texture of peanut butter.  It's a little lighter in color, it's cholesterol free and a really good source of protein.  It has a little sweetness to  taste.  I bought it at Walmart.  I bought the great value brand.  I bought the last 3 jars.  When I go back I will buy at least 12 more.  Buy one and try it, and let me know if you like it.  It's a nice change from peanut butter.  I am stocking lots of peanut butter to aolng with nutella.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 8:39pm
Mississipp Mama, Thanks for the info I will check it out.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 8:10am
Mississipp Mama, what is nutella?
I keep canning and stocking right along. The most of my preps will last a long
long time without having to worry about rotation. such as grains and canned goods.
Good luck to all.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 4:35pm
  Maysday, Nutella is a great!! tasting creamy chocolaty hazelnut spread. You can spread it on anything just like peanut butter.  It will probably cure any chocolate cravings that you might have now and during any emergency.  If you buy a jar let me know if you like it.  Someone on the forum and mention it several months ago, I went out and bought some and just love it. 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 4:44pm
  Today I bought more Nutella 6 jars of soy butter, 6 jars of assorted jelly.  1 box of vitamin C packets, 2 cans of deet insect repellent for bug out bags, 3 boxes of pepcide for acid reducing,2 asthama mist bronchodilators with refills  and 2 bags of potatoe chips.  I'm afraid the chips won't make it to the emergency food supply.  I already open one bag.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 7:29am
Thanks Mississipp Mama, I am going to try to find it. I'll bet my granddaughters will like it.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 3:30pm
Maysday,you are welcome. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic