Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Will there come a time....?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will there come a time....?
    Posted: August 25 2006 at 7:53am
When it will be in the best interests of the American public that we too follow suit and not post anecdotes about where we are in an outbreak?

I am a patriot and I hate to think that we are divulging information, in innocence and with good intent, that could aid the enemies of our country in any way.

Being wise as serpents and harmless as doves may have more meaning and on more levels than we ever thought.

Perhaps I should write fiction but let me throw out a hypothetical scenario which could spell out what I am thinking. First off-this is purely hypothetical and not based on any intelligence that I have. I don't have any LOL. What a play on words.

Say there was a country that did a lot of research into developing a bioterror weapons. This country deliberately exposed their countrymen to a milder form of the illness and then released the lethal form throughout the world. A bio nuclear bomb, if you will.

Then say all there innocent avian flu hunters exposed this nations jugular by revealing where we are in the timeline of infection by discussing cases in the US that were breaking out. Could that not weaken us as a nation? Even if this is a completely naturally occuring event, could this information also weaken us?

I have always been someone who sees large patterns and someone who thinks outside the box, to the extreme sometimes. I know this and try to keep my thoughts to myself if those thoughts are not going to benefit anyone.

Lately, I pray before each and every post so that my words will edify and not tear anyone down. Even if they seem harsh, as in medclinicians vetting. Sorry med? It was necessary for the long term. I needed to know who I was trusting for the good of my "family".

Now it boils down to what is good for the country.

A pandemic will weaken our nation. Our national security is at stake and that is not a hypothetical. We need to proceed lightly indeed. I know that this is imminent and I am not going to post any more "news" because for me it is not necessary. Along those lines, I will not be posting anecdotes of what I observe either.

I will support through any prepping ideas and support for anyone who feels panic stricken but I realize now that, whether this is months, days or hours away, this "window" may close on us and prepping advice and mental health support is the best we can do.

Just my opinion.

WWII-Lose lips sinks ships
Beemom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 8:40am
You offer this forum so much. Keep posting what is coming from your heart. It always will find someone who needs to hear what you are thinking, some of us think the same way and it is so comforting knowing there are others out there with the same mind set.
May God's Spirit continue to speak and guiding you.
warm regards
mc
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 8:42am
Keep praying Beemom. We are all in this together-what has previously divided us now matters very little.

I have to add that this forum is bigger than any one person (except Albert of course). We all add a unique perspective and we all make extremely valuable contributions. I thank you for your praise and I hope I can always help.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 9:12am
Originally posted by standingfirm standingfirm wrote:

Keep praying Beemom. We are all in this together-what has previously divided us now matters very little.

I have to add that this forum is bigger than any one person (except Albert of course). We all add a unique perspective and we all make extremely valuable contributions. I thank you for your praise and I hope I can always help.
  Standingfirm, please do not allow Albert to fool you. He absolutely refused to adopt my children, sheesh!! Was I asking for 2 much?, NO.Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 10:55am
We need to focus on the readiness to respond to all developments. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 8:50pm
I didnt see anything in the news today to suggest this thing is hours, days or weeks, or even months away.
I think the truth sets us free. I dont think this is going to be one country but the whole world. I have faith that our country will do whatever they can to protect us. I tend to think if we are sick they will be just as sick. Unless they started a disease, if they did, and we find out about it, I think they will pay dearly.
I believe there is a point in life, were we let go and let God. We do all we can and then we should feel peace and give it to a higher power. If I saw dead birds in my hometown or there is a mystery ailment I will post. No one keeps anything from the press these days. I also am taking comfort in that I trust many Christian leaders who have ministries around the world, some working right now with disaster relief in INDO. I truly believe they would sound a warning bell. Some have sent literature about BF and what it is, but none seem to feel it is iminent. These people know heads of state all over the world.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 5:40am
vstr: I don't think it would be our country developing anything of the sort, but there are others led by leaders who seem to be a bit off in their thinking. We are at war and there are those out there bent on our destruction. We cannot take a myopic view of world events re: risks.

I listen mostly to Michael Osterholm, who says it is not "if" but when. Lately he has stated that a pandemic is "imminent".

It may be time to throw buckets of water to wake people up. Fear talk may be necessary. We don't want people to panic, but we don't want to keep calming people down either.

Yes, let go and let God. I am not panicing, I am calm and get what needs to be done, done for my family. I am not paralyzed with fear but I know this is coming, and sooner rather than later. I go on with my daily activities as if nothing is coming.

Peter Sandman is a risk communicator and he works for the CDC. Here is a link to his .pdf "Crisis and Risk Communication" a valuable resource when communicating for emergency preparedness. There is a time to express fear. It is useful in getting people prepared. Panic is not the goal but honestly communicating the risk is necessary.

Dr. Peter Sandman: Pandemic Flu and Other Infectious Diseases Index

Some quick links:

1. Be nice to the newbies.
  2. Watch out for people’s adjustment reaction — and the authorities’ adjustment reaction.
  3. Focus less on the pharmaceutical fix.
  4. Focus more on worst case scenarios.
  5. Focus more on non-medical preparedness.
  6. Focus more on non-governmental and local preparedness.
  7. Focus more on worldwide preparedness.
  8. Get clear on the “pan” in “pandemic.”
  9. Get clear on the “pre” — and the “maybe” — in pandemic preparedness.
Lots of reading here and a place to focus.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 6:00am
Standingfirm,

Excellent post. You are a fantastic writer and really print things that the average layperson can easily understand. I agree it is time for buckets, or at the very least a little water on the face to wake up America. We cannot expect them to know as they have not been really told -- repeatedly anyway. We have immense power right now-- the ones that "know what is coming". If we inform and educate NOW we can help get these people moving in the right direction.

This scenario kind of reminds me of the sinking Titanic ship. We know it's going down and if we can tell them now, then maybe we can help get them out of the sinking ship in time to "prepare." As far as the sinking ship analogy -- it's SOS time --  so let's roll, get out there and paper America with preparedness steps and bring Americans back to safe ground. No time is better than right now ... the clock is ticking.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 6:57am
argyll: Thumbs Up Alleluiah!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 7:39am
Standingfirm,

I am starting a new thread this morning to prepare a leaflet for major distribution and to be posted on the AFT site as an educational material -- a printable poster. ( I got the idea from visiting the CDC and USDA/Homeland Security sites). It will awesome to have forum members submit ideas -- there is a wealth of information here. It's going to be a basic, short and sweet leaflet,  one that will make prepping a no hassle idea.  

Americans will be more likely to follow through if it doesn't require a lot of effort on their part -- both finanical and otherwise. We are going to have the potential to get out there and reach the people, so I am really excited. I think they will listen because we too are Americans. I have learned so much from this forum that I can't wait to help others.

I know your writing skills will be put to good use! You have great ideas. I am sure you have some graphics insights, too.

Note:  Albert -- as Administrator of this site will have the final say so on any final copy. I expect that he will want to edit anything that comes out of AFT so that it best represents the mission of this forum.

Regards -- Argyll.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 7:44am
I am always willing to help Argyll...anything, anything that needs to be done and I can do it I will.

Along those lines, I am open to critique and changing things to suit. As an artist you get used to working that way. Listening to constructive criticism to tweek the project is important as long as people are professional about it. It is part of the process.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic