Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

OT, just another reason to prep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT, just another reason to prep
    Posted: September 06 2006 at 8:09pm
No plan for treating nuclear patients, docs warn - More Health News - MSNBC

No plan for treating nuclear patients, docs warn

Physicians group says downwinders could die because of lack of preparation

Updated: 11:39 a.m. ET Aug 31, 2006
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('632926355918400000');

WASHINGTON - The government doesn’t have plans for treating people downwind from a nuclear attack for radiation exposure, a report released Thursday concludes.

The study by the Physicians for Social Responsibility also faults the Homeland Security Department for lacking communication plans to tell the public whether to evacuate or take shelter where they are after a nuclear blast.

A Homeland Security Department spokesman said the government has focused on preventing nuclear attacks and that the report “seems to lack a grasp of reality.”.com

Those people “might live if we have a plan in place to evacuate or shelter them effectively,” Helfand said in an interview Wednesday. “But at this point, we don’t have a plan, and that’s fairly shocking, five years after 9/11.”

Under the nation’s plan for responding to major disasters, the Health and Human Services Department generally is responsible for dealing with federal medical programs. A department representative declined to comment on the report until it could be thoroughly reviewed.

Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said the government can track the radiation plume from a nuclear blast within an hour to direct medical care and other resources to those who would be at risk. The department also is grappling with how to communicate and advise potential nuclear victims in an attack’s immediate aftermath.

“However well-intentioned, this report seems to lack a grasp of reality,” Knocke said. “The department is intensely focused on preventing a high-concentrated attack like (nuclear weapons of mass destruction) or a dirty bomb from being detonated somewhere in the homeland. That is our highest priority.”

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 11:23pm

this story is very important, they should offer No=rad to people in these areas, this   is why I carry it ,and gave it to the family,I guess it's time to check if evrybody still has theirs and that it hasn't expired. the towne of Westport Ct. gave everyone of it's citizens No-rad. I think it costs about 12 dollars a package, cheap to buy,even less wholesale to the govrenment .Ya think it would be cheaper to do this than the cost after an attack?? roxy

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 3:21am
Roxy- what is no Rad.  Where can it be purchased ?
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 7:13am
NOrad is potasiumIodine,   we got it in  a health food store, and I have seen it on internet sites. It is suppose to stop the radiation uptake in the thyroid. it's a ten day treatment,2 pills a day. i spent a fair amount of money making sure everyone had one package in their car and one in the home. this may sound crazy to some people , but I live within 60 miles of NY city, and near enough to 2 nuclear plants to be in danger.  roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 9:54am
I bought this iodine stuff for my family. Guess who had bought the most?? The website said, the US government. That goes to show they know its a threat.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 11:35am

Radiation

Government Preparing for Nuclear Attack
By Clark Hansen, N.M.D.

December 3, 2002 - The U.S. Government announced this month that it is providing all 750,000 U.S. postal workers nationwide with emergency Potassium Iodide (KI) pills to protect them in the event of a nuclear emergency. The pills are generally kept on hand in areas where there is a threat of a nuclear accident, but in recent years concerns have also increased that terrorists could deploy a nuclear weapon in the U.S. KI is a natural mineral combination, approved by the FDA to prevent thyroid cancer caused by radioactive particles by blocking the thyroid from taking up radioactive iodine.

Additionally, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has announced that it will provide free KI to 33 states that have residents living within a 10-mile radius of each of the nation's 102 nuclear reactors. KI is the only medication approved for internal radiation exposure.

The USPS said on December 2nd it was buying nearly 1.6 million pills from Tampa-based Anbex, Inc. for distribution to workers who want to have the tablets if a radiological emergency occurs. "It's a proactive approach regarding the safety, health and well-being of employees nationwide," said Sue Brennan, Postal Service Spokesperson.

Dr. Hansen recommends that everyone keep a supply of KI on hand in case of a nuclear emergency, whether a nuclear bomb or a breach of a nuclear power plant. KI is effective only if taken 2 days before or within 8 hours after exposure to irradiation from environmentally dispersed radioiodine. The required dose is 100mg for adults and 50mg for children. Dr. Hansen recommends a Liquid KI product made from the plant Crocus sativum, which contains 50mg of KI per drop. Each 1 oz bottle contains 600 drops, or 300 adult doses.

This Comprehensive Biological Agents Summary has been provided by: The Arizona Institute of Natural Medicine,
Scottsdale, AZ 85258 - Dr. Clark Hansen, Medical Director
Email:
drhansen@yourvitalhealth.com

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 11:37am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 12:18pm
Wow, guys, thanks for giving me another new thing to add to the list of things to obsess on.  I guess we should all get this no matter where we live (there are such things as suitcase and dirty bombs, after all).  Ugh.  I'm getting tired of this.  Starting to wish i could live like all the other pollyannas out there who are blissfully ignorant but happy today. Ugh.Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic