Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

We Will Reap what we Sow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We Will Reap what we Sow
    Posted: February 05 2006 at 10:29pm

I must confess, I’ve been taken aback by some of the plans that I’ve read here, and on other forums, regarding what people plan to do  in a pandemic.  I understand the fear, and the overwhelming desire to protect one’s families, but I wonder how many of you have really thought about the ramifications of simply hunkering down, and trying to wait out a pandemic.

The idea of essential workers reporting to their jobs, or of people helping out in the community seems to be dismissed as too dangerous, futile, or foolhardy. I’ve been chided for even suggesting it.

Lets say everybody does that.  Everybody say’s “Let someone else do it.”

And no one does.

What happens then?

If health care workers and their support staff (kitchen workers, housekeeping, security,etc) abandon the hospitals then the hospitals will close. Those who have heart attacks, strokes, or are injured will die right along with the flu victims.  If the hospitals close, the ambulances will stop running. No point, if there is no place to take patients. Doctors offices, overwhelmed,  and cut off from supplies will close.  The health care system will collapse.

Once the public understands that all medical care in unavailable, and that not even doctors will leave their homes to tend to the sick, no one will risk going out, unless staying at home is a death sentence.  Only those desperate for food or water will leave their homes.

Firefighters and cops, knowing if they are injured that no medical help will be there, will walk off the job.  Fires will rage uncontrolled, and spread thru out towns.  Brush fires and forest fires will go unchecked.  A lot of people who thought they were safe holed up in their homes will find themselves burned out, and their shelter and supplies gone.

The streets will become lawless, filled with hungry desperate people who know there is no law to stop them.  Criminals will be released from prison, as no one will be willing to guard or feed them. Several million hungry, desperate, hardened criminals ready to slit your throat for a bag of rice.  Your wife or daughter, perhaps they will keep alive for a while. 

If your home is attacked, you neighbors will probably cross themselves and hope the looters move on before hitting them.  Of course, the looters will pick them off too, one house at a time. Resist, and they will simply burn you out.

All food and medicine transportation will halt. Trains, planes, and trucks.  The electrical grid in many places will fail. Storm damage to power lines will not be repaired.  Hopefully, workers will remain long enough at nuke plants to power them down safely.  Otherwise . . .

If you are barricaded, and the looters don’t get you, pray you don’t have a heart attack or rupture an appendix.  Or your kid doesn’t burn himself on the camp stove. Or than any of a thousand routine, everyday medical problems or injuries doesn’t befall someone in your household.

People will die unattended in their homes, and their corpses will remain there, as no one will come pick up the dead.  This will only promote additional disease. Some bodies will be dumped in rivers and streams, or in open fields.  Typhus, Cholera, and dysentery will emerge as even greater threats than the flu virus.

Rats will devour the dead, overrunning the cities. Perhaps P. Pestis will re-emerge. It is still found in the S.W. part of the United States.  If you liked the flu, you’ll love the plague. Or perhaps the Hantavirus is more to your liking.  There are a lot of viral and bacteria options.

Within weeks, everything that can be looted will be.  The infrastructure will be destroyed. The ability to re-supply cities and towns in between pandemic waves will be lost, as will the ability to distribute vaccine when it becomes available.  Of course, no one will be manufacturing vaccine, so I guess that point is moot.

The military may try to restore order, but they will be stretched too thin, and badly outnumbered. I doubt they will persist in that fool’s errand. Most will go AWOL, or succumb to the flu, violence, or famine that will come.  Supplies lines won't be viable, and when those are gone, so are the military.

Oil and gas refineries will be shut down.  Manufacturing plants, drug companies, telephone systems, power plants, Internet providers, food processing plants . . . you name it. They all shut down. Everything stops. Much is destroyed. And our ability to restart these systems will be lost. 

An 18-month pandemic could turn into a new dark age. Instead of 3 million dead in the United States, we could see 100 million. Maybe a lot more. That year’s worth of dehydrated food won’t be enough. Not even close.  And our slow recovery from it could take decades.  Maybe we never recover.

Those that say they don’t want to risk doing essential jobs because it might risk exposing their families to the virus are likely to create a legacy that proves much more dangerous to the ones they love.   Do you really believe you can survive this? This isn’t like in the movies. Good guys get shot, or sick, or injured all the time.  That assault rifle and 50,000 rounds of ammo won’t do you much good, I assure you.  If the looters don’t get you and your family, something else will.  Famine, fire, disease, cold weather, bad water. . . the list is endless.

By abdicating any sense of community responsibility. by `playing it safe’ and not risking exposure in order to keep the lights on, the food and drugs moving, and the hospitals open, we create a self fulfilling prophesy. Or rather, nightmare.

I submit that if we let this happen, we endanger far more lives than we would by fighting this virus. That by keeping society running, not on all cylinders perhaps, but running none the less, we can avoid this apocalyptic vision.  But to do that, to keep society from breaking down to the point we can’t restart it, people are going to have to take personal risks. Cops and doctors and nurses and truck drivers and power plant employees and thousands of other essential personnel are going to have to accept the risks, endure the hardships, and do their jobs if there is to be anything left when all of this is over.

But hey, if you aren’t willing to do it, why should anyone else be?

Sometimes we have to face our fears, and yes, even risk our lives, in order to maintain a viable society.  There was a time when we felt our country, our community, and our neighborhoods were worth self-sacrifice.

Is this really the kind of post-pandemic world you want for your kids?

If so, I suppose we deserve whatever happens.

By hunkering down, baring the doors, and refusing to help your neighbors and maintain our communities in a time of crisis you might spare yourself and your family. Or at least delay their demise for a few extra months. You may even get lucky, and manage to save a few humans. But we will have lost something far more important.

We will have lost humanity.

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 10:44pm

I am not some worker ant willing to scarifice myself for the man. The stockholders, business owners and other rich can keep thier own factories running themselves.

Do we really need all this crap people are willing to fight over? most of it didn't exsist 50 years ago.

Don't think i'm going to die tring to keep the power on so some 12 year old can talk on here cell phone.

If we operate on half power or half food that will be fine with me.

Whats wrong with oatmeal? oh no! gotta keep those cocoa roos trucking thru...Don't forget the shrimp cocktails.....lets keep McDonalds.... We really need all that stuff? Go see how much gets thrown away. apalling.

Alot of society is kept alive artifically. I'm not going to fight for mc donalds or to keep the air conditioners running....

Say I did fight to try to maintain an artifical world of happy meals and enough electricity to light las vegas...(what a waste)  are they going to charge me for going to the hospital or still send me an electric bill? YOu bet.

What you're talking about is maintaing the same status quo that is designed to keep you down. Work at walmart for 38 hours and no benefits,  no full time, etc.

Bout time for a change. In American we have created such a high artifical world. oh my god ! what will we do with out air conditioners? oprah, and suv's. I'm not fighting for that.

Half this crap can go.

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 10:55pm

My father and my grandparents lived through the pandemic
in 1918, and knew far less than we know now. What we know
will grow each day, and so will our options.

Edited by Rick
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 10:59pm

Communities will develope together again. We will take care of our own. We will stop trying to save the world. The federal government will loose its grip. The lawyers will starve. Gangs will have their a$$ shot off instead of the law protecting them.. you letf some things out about what might happen. And oh yes parents can spank their kids again!

What's wrong with the old ways? is it so terrible to teach kids how to plant their own food and preserve it.

If anything that will happen is that we will go back in time  a hunderd years or so before the corporations took over food production. Do you think the corporations care? It's our own falt for adopting this experimental life style sold to us by the industrials.

We will do just fine. like we did before.

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 11:01pm
Nice rant Corn, but I never suggested that Wally World or McDonalds were essential jobs.  You built a strawman arguement so you can knock it down.

I lived, very happily, aboard a sailboat for 13 years. A minimalistic lifestyle. Without a lot of the modern crap of today's society. I wouldn't mind going back to that. Frankly I don't much like society anyway.

But that's not what we're talking about here. 

How do you mitigate the effects of everybody abdicating their jobs, and duty, during a national crisis?  

You didn't address the ramifications of letting it all go to hell in a handbasket.  You say you could get by happily on half of the power, and services, and crap in today's society.

How long can you get by with Zero?

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 11:09pm

When it gets dark you go to bed. when the sun comes up you go do your chores. way its been done for millenia.

how long have we had electricity?

The profits from these corporations are use to promote how great they are and where we would be without them.

They try to make us feel unhappy if we don't use them.

God forbid we think of a life without them.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 11:24pm
Sounds nice, Corn.

And I've just spent the last 10 years living in the back woods of Missouri on 25 acres on a nice river. Very secluded. Grew much of our own food. Wood burning furnace.  Very back to nature and self sufficient.  Much like you describe.

And if we can get rid of about 5 billion people on this planet, we could probably go back to an agrarian society. 

By turning our backs on our communities, maybe that will happen.  Who knows, maybe you and your family will be among the 1 in 6 who are left.

Wish you luck on that.

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 12:40am

The world we live in now is made of straw. I think we are already reaping what we have sown.

Your intentions are admirable. I am an idealst. I wish everyone would join together to build a better world.

Communities should stick together. No man is an island.

We have raised at least two tv fed generations. Those will be the ones having problems adjusting and probably causing all the problems.

I can be responsible to my neighbors and my local community within a few miles but thats about as far as I can go.

The state and the feds can kiss my a$$. They know they are nothing but a concept without  people to boss around. They will use you up till you are dry for their own grand designs. Maintain the system so they can maintain themselves.

You sound like a great go to guy in a pinch and selfless. Your community will be better for you.

Half my relatives just went thru Katrina. No power for 3 weeks. the church organized the community functions within a few square miles. Cooks in the kitchen. No cell phones . no tv. Families actually spent time together. crews we organized to cut trees and remove debirs.

That's what  I see happening with BF. the local community. As far as you can walk. Not trying to maintain the county or state or country or world level. just your own little world. That's all that is important  and worth preserving for most people anyway. Until you can maintain your own little world how can we be expected to support the larger one?

If SHTF I will sit things out initally and contribute all my time and resources to preserving my family and friends till probably after the 3rd wave.  Society can sort it's own mess out.

Then when all is said and done, will try to make a more meaningful world from both the past and the present. There is little more one can do than hibernate and come out in the sping.

I have a feeling when this is all over alot of people will be more spiritual than material.

Edited by Corn
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 12:55am

i AM NOT SURE IF i BELEIVE SOCIETY WILL FALL AS WE KNOW IT FOR ONE WE HAVE LIVED THROUGH A PANDEMIC BEFORE and the economy went on anyway.  I dont beleive the structure will collapse as the building and resourses are there .  

AND I BELEIVE THE GOVERMENT IS DOING MORE THAN THEY SAY but then I may be dumber than I look.

In Canada during y2k there were plans and locations set up for water distributation and shelter.  These plans never fully came out for public knowledge  even now but many people knew of t he plans   

I beleive there will be food distribution centers and schools opened up for shelter and other things .  I beleive  companies will quaratine private workers to keep some of the infracture going .The idea of being quarantined and safe from the virus will probally appeal to alot of people. I beleive that alot of people will volunteer  where they can. Some jobs may disappear but other will spring up. There are more good people than bad and I cant imagine anyone wanting to become a looter 

It wont be perfect  and early days of this will be awlful and I wont tell anyone not to prepare. I beleive strongly in preparing but  Im trying to remember that the flu could take awhile to hit us it could die off one its own.  It could mutate to a less dangeous flu .   It could kill off our enemies before it ever gets to us.We could get a vacine together in time.   We could force the goverment to change drug patent rules so that medications can be copied more quickly.        

almost all the the pandemic disapeared on their own The Hong Kong flu still exists but in much smaller numbers but it still kills.

Edited by RBARNES55
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 4:37am
RBARNES55, If we can get enough people to come out and help man those food distribution centers and shelters, you are right, society will get thru this, just like they did in 1918.

Which is exactly my point.  Enough people have to be willing to risk exposure in order to keep some semblance of society functioning.  Not everyone, of course.  We don't need movie theatres, beauty parlors, and video arcades open.   But these people can certainly help guard food distribution centers, or assist the community in dropping off food and water at the doorsteps of people in their neighborhood. 

The idea of survival of the fittest (or most prepared) may sound good to those 1% of the population who are able to prepare for a multi-year siege, but even they won't come out unscathed.  There are simply too many threats out there to sucessfully prepare for all of them.

And what comes of the single mother with 3 kids in your town who prepped for 3 months, but isn't able to beat off looters at the front and back door simultaneously?  Or who falls ill from the flu and is unable to feed or care for her children?  Do we just say, "Too bad?"

The idea that we will let everything crash and burn for 18 months, and then come out and sort thru the ashes and start over again is a nice fantasy, but the reality is, if that happens, there won't be anything left. 

The way to get thru this is by organizing at the nieghborhood level before a pandemic strikes.  Banding together for mutual security.  You don't have to try to mitigate the effects in the next city or county.  Probably won't be able to travel that far safely, anyway.  This needs to be addressed, block by block, community by community. 

Your odds of surviving this are much better if you have an organized neighborhood watch/patrol.  If you can meet threats, human or otherwise, with strength in numbers.   If we fail to do that, we will all be picked off one by one.

Some communities will fail. If so, they will likely perish. 

Corn, I take some solace from the idea that, after the 3rd wave you would be willing to help your immediate neighbors.  I hope you do, and that you find something worth saving.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 4:57am

H5N1 will sweep the globe in just mere days when it makes the final jump.    We may not have to worry about looters.  There may not be any of them around by the time it's done.   The outbreak in Indo is obviously the lethal Sichuan Sheet version of H5N1.   The Turkey and Iraq strains are also lethal without Tamiflu treatment.   It's disturbing to think how bad the death rate could be.   Untreated cases don't seem to survive.   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:13am
Albert, if the attack rate is close to 100% and the CFR remains at 50%, then yes, we won't have to worry so much  about looters.  Rats, decomposing bodies, and a host of other diseases, yes.  But not looters.

In 1918, the attack rate was only 28%.  72% of Americans never got sick.  And of those who did, only about 5% died.

That would leave a lot of hungry desperate people on the prowl.

That's the trouble with the absolute worst case scenarios.

You just can't count on them.
merrittjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:37am
Fla_Medic,  would you join me on the OffTopic page please. John.
willtolive
merrittjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:40am
Sorry, Guess that's a big place... how about member bio's.
willtolive
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:44am
John, not sure how to join you there, but will proceed to that forum.

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 6:18am

During Katrina the neighborhoods did ban together putting up signs, " you loot we shoot."  It was in the inner city and projects where chaos ruled.

I have suits, boot covers,  and are prepared to venture out in rare ocassions. It better be for a damn god reason.

in 1918 Americans kept stockpiles for the most part as a way of life, Communities weren't so splintered. the general store was nearby and people shopped less.

With mortage payments and a weeks worth of groceries in most home till the next oaycheck alot will be in trouble.

Everbody needs to stay put to contain an outbreak. if we all go rushing around you aren't helping you're spreading.

Some of us have scaraficed a lot to prep and forgone personal luxuries to get to that level of preparedness.

We're all going to die of something somewhere some day. It doesn't have to be me or my family cause billy bob and Merna paid $500 for Supre Bowl tickets while I sat at home preparing.

Well I have work to do to prep while everybody else after work will probably go eat out tonight instead of taking the path less traveled and prep.

Sorry but I have nothing in common with the public at large, they are not my kinda people and yes ,"We will all reap what we sow." bout time.

Edited by Corn
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 9:34am

My hope is that we will need to organize and that will start at the graSS ROOTS LEVEL. I TOO AM A SINGLE MOM WITH ENOUGH FOOD FOR SIX MONTHS AND DONT SEE HOW I COULD PROTECT MY FAMILY WITHOU TTHE HELP OF MY NEIGHBOURS AND  THE GOVERMENT 

I BELEIVE THE CLOSER THIS GETS TO A REALITY FOR ALL,THE SOONER PLANNING CAN OCCUR AND I BELEIVE IT WILL. 

I BELEIVE IN NOT ACCEPTING CHARITY  ITS A TRAP AND PLAN TO PUT ENOUGH FOOD AND THINGS TOGETHER TO SURVIVE BUT WE WILL NEED TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT TO REALLY SURVIVE.  I CANT STAND THE THOUGHT OF NOT HAVING FOOD FOR MY NEIGHBOURS BUT I CANT LET MY CHILD DIE. 

WE WILL NEED TO START A BOARD ABOUT GETTING PEOPLE TOGETHER TO

PLAN  LIKE IT OR NOT IF WE DONT FEED THE LOOTERS THEY WILL KILL US

TIMING IS EVERYTHING  THE CLOSER WE GET TO THE TIME THE MORE CREDIBLE WE WILL BE

Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 9:49am

It would be to our benefit to accept the fact that If a pandemic occurs, many  people will die. We can not save everyone; that would be like trying to carry the weight of the whole world on our shoulders, which would only result in mental and emotional breakdown.

I have thought long and hard about this. If a pandemic occurs, I do not picture myself trying to nurse everyone around me back to health; that would be wonderful if I could, but I know that will not be the case. Instead, I see myself being at the bedside of many dying people and doing what I can to make them comfortable.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 9:57am

Fla_Medic -

Um, I hate to ask but... is this just now occuring to you?  All of the possibilities you mention have been apparent to me for many months now, as potential "worst case scenarios".  Regardless of what I personally do or do not do, those things may happen.

I tend to think things won't be quite so bad, for quite so long, as you envision.  First, many people won't see the threat as being that bad initially (or truly can't afford to stop working), they will keep going to work.  Medical, governmental and infrastructure employees will have first dibs on vaccines or treatments like Tamiflu (according to our state pandemic response plan) and there will probably be substantial $ incentives for them to continue to show up for work.  People who have had the pandemic flu and recovered, should be safe to go to work at essential jobs.

I may cheer heroic firemen, but I'm not about to rush into a blazing inferno 7 story apartment building because I spotted a child in a window on the 7th floor - I haven't got training or equipment to deal with that, it would basically be "suicide by heroism" for me to try.  Most people are in the same boat regarding a pandemic.  Our jobs aren't "essential" in a basic necessity of life way.  Some of us can continue to work from home as long as we have an internet connection. But although we don't have essential "keep the grid up" type jobs, we DO have responsibilities within our families that make us essential, THERE. 

Your warning tells me I have to be prepared for the fact that there may be many who are in "essential services" who may choose to stay home an protect their families rather than heroically go out and try to "save the world".  We saw that with police in New Orleans, many of whom simply walked off the job.   Dereliction of duty or simply "my family is more important than ANY job"?  We'll never know until we've walked a mile in their shoes.

I do like the idea of the "neighborhood watch" scenario where a few concerned neighbors take turns patrolling the street, keeping looters out and providing at least SOME protection for that single mother with 3 kids you mentioned.  If the neighborhood is relatively flu-free and the neighbors are cooperative, it could work.  If it gets to the point that neighbors are squabbling and those without provisions are demanding that those with provisions, take food from their own children's mouths to "share the wealth", then things are getting hairy and may degenerate into an "every man an island" situation, which would be very bad.  A good reason to prompt your neighbors to start laying in supplies now.  I am prepared to help others a bit, but what I consider "a bit" will probably seem insufficient to a cold hungry neighbor.  I definitely can't feed 100 people for a week, even, and expect to have anything left for me and my family.  At the end of that week, my pantry will be bare and we will all be in the same boat, having simply postponed the inevitable, with the difference that there are now two additional cold hungry people.

As laudable as the intention is behind the "keep a stiff upper lip, carry on now" attitude, it's a decision everyone needs to make for themselves. 

spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:04am
WW1 and the stock market crash were greatly affected by the Spanish flu.  Does anyone remember the great depression?  The after affects lasted for years.  %5 death rate was enough to bring this country to its knees.  October 30, 1929.   Ring a bell?  Yeah, %50 percent death rate at lets say 140 million people, less than half of the U.S. population.  Bang, 70 million people dead in a matter of days.  Thats what we are looking at as a MINIMUM.  Thats a lot of bodies.  What are we going to do with all of those dead people?  The rest will be stressed beyond the breaking point.  What then?  Dieing and adding to the pile of dead is not a weak arguement in my opinion.  Essential services are not that essential when you weigh a human life against it.  But these days life is cheap and people are a renewable recource.  Right?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:25am
Bruss01, these are issues I've grappled with ever since I was involved in the Public Health Department's `Swine Flu' debacle 30 years ago.  We wrestled with these very issues.  I was part of the county Civil Defense, and EMS planning boards. 

And no, I'm not suggesting we open our stockpiles to feed our neighborhoods. Nor am I suggesting we all run right out and `save the world'.

What I am suggesting is that we set up neighborhood committee's, plan for a pandemic on a very local level, and help out our neighbors where we can. 

Perhaps my scenario is overblown. Perhaps it is understated. We'll find out when we find out. 

I don't expect everybody to help out in an emergency. But I gotta tell you, if a pandemic strikes, there had better be some of us willing to.

Will it be dangerous? Sure, there is risk involved. Just like there was risk involved every time I crawled into a wreck car with a ruptured gas tank to extricate a victim, or walked down some dark inner city alley in the middle of the night looking for a shooting victim.  Didn't make me a hero, that was the job.

Maybe I was a fool to do so. The 3 bucks an hour they paid hardly compensated me for what I was risking. But I felt it was important, and so I did it.

Maybe feeding a starving child, or delivering water to the doorsetp of a quarantined family, or walking a night patrol in my nieghborhood is an exercise in futility.  Maybe it will get me killed.  But it's a risk I intend to take, because, in my mind,  it's the right thing to do.

I'm just  hoping  I won't be alone out there.

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:35am

Originally posted by Fla_Medic Fla_Medic wrote:

How do you mitigate the effects of everybody abdicating their jobs, and duty, during a national crisis?  

You didn't address the ramifications of letting it all go to hell in a handbasket.  You say you could get by happily on half of the power, and services, and crap in today's society.

How long can you get by with Zero?

That's just it, you're also arguing against the straw man.  "everyone" isnt going to hole up until pandemic blows over.  "Everything" is NOT going to fall apart. 

I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:40am

Hi Fla_Medic,

I believe your heart is in the right place, but statistics prove there aren't enough masks or any other medical equipment to last through even a month of this coming pandemic.  Every 'professional' has said that the hospitals and governments are not and can not be prepared for this - it's too huge. 

I've been 'warning' people to prepare, and their daily lives are just too busy to think about something so seriously affecting them.  My family...and I mean my WHOLE family has a plan and we are going to stick to it.  Everybody together and the house sealed off after 24 hours of H2H announcement.  We will HAVE to turn people away who didn't listen or plan for this.  We could help our neighbors, but then we are endangering ourselves but possible exposure or shortages of supplies for ourselves.  I believe we are all on our own in this - either you prepare and do the best you can and possibly still get sick, or you just suffer through what is to come with nothing.  I believe some world event is coming that will force my family to rely on each other no-matter-what.  Our supply of food and needs is for us, period.  Adults can make their choices now...I wouldn't go to a hospital for NOTHING if this does come about, not even a heart attack.  We'll die the old-fashioned way; right at home.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:08am

Fla_Medic,

The only hope that I see in really helping people during a pandemic is at a local level because I can not see the medical system in this country withstanding a bird flu outbreak; it is too fragile of a system. I agree with you about trying to help people in our local communities; that seems more realistic than trying to go to work in a hospital. I plan on doing what I can to help people in my local area.

Educating people in our communities about the bird flu would be a good idea. However, I do not think that people will listen. They will only label us as alarmists. Even a nurse that I work with said this to me the other day, "I wish the media would stop talking about the bird flu; they are scaring people to death." Do you have any suggestions for educating people at a local level?

Yes, helping people in the community is the right thing to do, and I appreciate your willingness to help others. That shows that you have a big heart!

Maybe feeding a starving child, or delivering water to the doorstep of a quarantined family, or walking a night patrol in my nieghborhood is an exercise in futility.  Maybe it will get me killed.  But it's a risk I intend to take, because, in my mind,  it's the right thing to do.

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:45am

Fla_Medic
You are a good man. Keep us on our toes and humanity. Great topic. everybody needs to think about now and sort out.

I have bought steric acid (the main ingredient in Tamiflu and plan on distributing that as a tonic mixed with Vodka. and have a few other preps with others in mind.

We will all try to do the best we can do for others. It just if the darn bug weren't so communicable.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 12:05pm
Corn, I understand.  

Can I come over for happy hour sometime?

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 12:15pm

Corn,

You are too funny!

Jaz! View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaz! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 12:40pm
Wow everyone lets calm down. We all know what we need to do, and what we will do. We have are own personal choices to make. Some of us will hunker down, others will try to help others. Or a little of both. Ok i'm done with my two cents
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 1:12pm

I plan to hanker down  with my own supplies but I want some assurance from the goverment that there will be some set up for the starving. I do beleive the goverment can set up food distributation centers in schools.  I do beleive we have the time  to plan and the manpower and the resources to survive this burnt around the edges but ok.    

Ihave no intention of ever standing inline for a handout but at the same time 

It does me no good if there are people looting and killing inthe streets

REalist pandemic planning has to be on two levels self care and proud to be that way and community care.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 2:34pm
I'll be at Corn's house is anybody is looking for me...
gypsybeach1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsybeach1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 2:58pm
I personally plan to continue working for as long as i
can or my job will allow me to. I don't guess my job is
essential, but certianly i good thing to have around. I
am a photojournalist for a small newspaper. I have
also volunteered with the Red Cross. (Although they
refused to use me during the post-Katrina debacle).
As long as i have internet hook up, i can upload
news and photos to AP, as long as I have gas, I can
shoot photos of community and deliver supplies
along the way. I have no children and my family lives
500 miles away, so really, I have don't have as much
to risk as a single mother with 3 kids. I would rather
it be me that's on the bf front lines than someone
with a young family.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 4:08pm

Originally posted by Fla_Medic Fla_Medic wrote:

What I am suggesting is that we set up neighborhood committee's, plan for a pandemic on a very local level, and help out our neighbors where we can. 

Perhaps my scenario is overblown. Perhaps it is understated. We'll find out when we find out. 

I don't expect everybody to help out in an emergency. But I gotta tell you, if a pandemic strikes, there had better be some of us willing to.
... I'm just  hoping  I won't be alone out there.

Medic -

I hear you.  I think that would be good too.  It's kind of hard, though, when people have so many things on their minds like PTA meetings, church socials, the superbowl, busy lives and tight budgets - to get them to actually invest anything meaningful in something that isn't an immediate tangible threat.  I could literally go door to door, cite authoritative references and explain face to face the peril posed by avian flu virus, encourage everyone to lay in a supply of rice, beans, powdered milk, water etc... - I'd bet anything that 9 out of 10 people would think I'm making much ado about very little, if not that I'm a nutcase altogether.  Of the 10% remaining, probably only 1 in 10 would actually do anything about it - the others would be either too lazy, too broke, or too much of a procrastinator to actually get anything together.

Realistically, what kind of community response can be effectively funded and put in motion by 1% of the population?

IF -

(notice the big IF)  pastors and priests and rabbis were talking about this issue to their congregations, and children were bringing home "scare your socks off" info handouts from the schools, if banks and post offices and grocery stores and city busses all had big public notices up that Avian Flu is likely headed our way and the time to prepare is NOW... we might get 25% of people off their duff and doing something.  That's still not a great percentage but it would be enough to put something meaningful in place.  Notice the reaction to the Oprah show - it was a blip on the radar, but was most likely forgotten two days later by the average soccer mom.  People these days have absolutely zero retentive power when it comes to taking reasonable precautions against an intangible (though real)  threat.  That's why they had to make it a law to wear a seat belt - a simple, safe and effective means of preventing automotive injuries and deaths, yet people don't want to be bothered to take a half second to buckle up without a state trooper threatening to cost them big bucks and a hit on their insurance if they don't.

Sigh.  Human nature.  We are inevitably our own worst enemy.

As for you hoping you're not alone out there... I hope so too.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:05pm

Well, I finally get my chance to put in my 2 cents.

I have a son (my one and only offspring) who would be classified as an essential service personnel.  I have begged, pleaded, cried hysterically, whined, nagged, and harangued him to be prepared to resign when the pandemic hits.  He has his first child on the way, and I would love to see him be around to raise HIS son.  My son just looks at me like I am insane.  No such thing as abandoning the post in this family!  I would gladly send my husband or even myself in his place, but I haven't seen street patrol for over 20 years and would do little more than take up space.

But here is my hope...there are a lot of older people out there who have raised their families will step up to the plate and allow the young people to guard themselves and their young family.

The closer this thing gets the more bitter I get.  My husband & I sacrificed a bunch to be able to send our son to private school where he would actually receive an education.  We sacrificed more to send him through four years of college.  Now that the sacrifices are over, I may be standing by while he sacrifices himself.  Sacrificing my one and only child for a society that would just as soon spit on him as smile.

How many of you out there have been spit on?  A big, fat, hawking glob, right in the face?  I have.  How many of you out there have been treated as social pariahs because of your profession?  I have.  How many of you out there have been treated like an ignorant, on-the-take looser because of your profession?  I have.  How many of you have had to answer for a decision you had to make in a split second, over and over and over and over?  I have.  American society hates its cops.  It's the same society that my son risks his life day after day to protect.  It's the society that will look to him and his brothers and sisters in blue to protect them and then listen to them b!tch about not doing a good job when only 25% of them are out there trying to keep that self same society from coming apart at the seams.

Do I sound bitter...you betcha.  Pandemic flu wasn't in the grand plan.  But you know what...we are just gonna have to deal with it.  What ever comes, or doesn't.  That's just the way it is, always has been, always will be.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 3:16am
SophiaZoe, I understand how you feel. My heart ached when I read what you wrote. I have a 29 year old daughter who does social work, and she will probably be on the front lines too.

I've never met your son, and am unlikely ever to have the pleasure. But I do understand him, appreciate his dedication, and I want you to know, I am proud of him.  I remember what it's like to be young, idealistic, and dedicated.

In my adult life, my best friends have been cops, firefighters, paramedics, and nurses. My twin brother and I were both paramedics.  We all share a common bond that goes beyond the wearing of a uniform. These jobs are dangerous, dirty, low paying, and quite often thankless.

Most of the things you described, have happened to me. I've lost friends on the job and have worn the black armband.  I've been injured more than once on the job.  And I've taken abuse from the people I was there to help.

There have been many times when I have questioned my sanity for doing the job.  But there is a `brotherhood' (and that includes women <g>) in these professions which transcends much of the negatives.  We show up for our shifts, I think, as much for our partners as we do for the people we are there to protect.

We see ourselves as that thin line that separates civilization from anarchy. And  while we are unappreciated and often abused (sometimes by our own organizations, btw), that isn't an overstatement.   Take away the cops, the firefighters, and the medics . . . and life as we know it would be much worse.

I know you will worry about your son, as I will about my daughter. And I know there is nothing that I can say that will reduce that pain. But I also know you wore the uniform (my thanks to you for that, btw), and that ultimately, you will undertand why he will do what he has to do.

He can't help it. It's how we are wired.

Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:01am
wow, you all are starting to see the light.  Once I read about a nurse in Africa who was treating people with "ebola".  Not everyone who got the disease actually died, but most did.  Toward the end of the small epidemic, she contacted the disease.  Of course, no vacine, so she improvised and made her own.  She took some blood from a patient that was surviving and injected it into her body.   I understand she survived.  Now remember, i'm a dumb nobody, but does this sound like it could have really happened?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:30am
Left Field, it's technically possible.

The transfer of antibodies produced by one human or other animal to another is called passive immunity. I'm a little hesitant to accept that a simple blood transfusion would have had this effect, but it is possible.

Whether this nurse actually acheived this result is up for debate. As you noted, some people recover on their own.

mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 6:21am

This is one of the more interesting threads yet.

Ring around the rosy

Pocketful of posy.

Ashes!  Ashes!

We all fall down!

This song’s lyrics refers to the Bubonic Plague which raged through England in 1666.  The “ring around the rosy” refers to one of the first skins symptoms of the disease.  “A pocketful of posy” refers to the fact that caregivers who actually dared to take care of the sick would often fill their pockets with flowers to overcome the stench of the dead and dying.  “Ashes…we all fall down” is reminiscent of going back to dust when we die.

If tshtf - all of the fears mentioned by others above will come home to roost in varying degrees in various locations.  Responsibility for survival may very well fall upon individual shoulders.  Trying to hold 'everything' together will most likely prove a wasteful exercise in futility resulting in attendant losses in many directions.  Just like the twin towers - many will initially run to the rescue - but there will come a tipping point - and all will come crashing down.  And it will happen quickly.  It takes time to build.  Destruction will come in the blink of an eye - like a thief in the night.  Be prepared. 

Chaos will be eventually followed by order.  This may take a bit ot time.  Anyone's guess at this point - But things will not be the same.  The Phoenix that raises from the ashes will not be the same entity as before.

We don't know what is coming down the road - we can only imagine - but we do know that horrors have happened in the past.  Civilizations have disappeared altogether.  Wars and pestilence have ravished the world.  Why do we think that the future will be any different.  But you get knocked down - you get back up - changed and hopefully stronger - and you go on.

We have been stocking up for quite some time.  We too bought into Y2K. But midnight came and went.  Perehaps this midnight will come and go also 'with much ado about nothing'.  We have relatives in the area (10) who may well end up on our doorstep.  We are planning accordingly.  I tried to tell one of them about this and his comment was "Oh - with you the sky is always falling".  Another one said "I don't want to hear it.  I've got enough problems"  I am sure that if our food goes into their mouths it will be with some bitterness on my part.

ProudestMonkey says it well:

It would be to our benefit to accept the fact that If a pandemic occurs, many  people will die. We can not save everyone; that would be like trying to carry the weight of the whole world on our shoulders, which would only result in mental and emotional breakdown. 

We must tend to our own garden first.

Swanky gives us hope:

That's just it, you're also arguing against the straw man.  "everyone" isnt going to hole up until pandemic blows over.  "Everything" is NOT going to fall apart.

The heros and heroines will step up to the plate.  The Audie Murphys of the world are still out there.

Life will go on and after all this is over perhaps a far, far better place will rise from the ashes.

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 9:11am

The Amish live quite well without all the modern bells and whistles. Some days I envy them. We certainly can do without many things we now have there will be challenges but people are resourceful the can adjust. The pandemic would not last forever. 

As for the healthcare infastructure, its gonna colapse even if personel show up. It cannot handle the surge, the capasity isnt there. To many supplies come from overseas, the stock isnt there for even a few weeks Infection control will be non existant, hospitals will mixing bowls. Care at home is going to be a much better alternative -at least there will be some care however rudimentary. And it would be delivered by people who truly care about you, Id rather be nursed by a untrained  family member  rather than a trained overwhelmed stranger. TLC goes a long way it trumps technology in many ways.

Society will not implode even under the most dire circumstances, it will change. It will by nessesity become more local [tribal] for a time. Things we take for granted may not be there, ie oranges in the winter . Not to long ago society live without all the bells and whistles  we have - and in some respects it did better than what were doing now.

I live in an area with a large Amish population, they do fine they are happy  They are also close knit Even if the worst comes to pass society will survive, 18 months is a blip in history.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 9:51am

I do envy the Amish people sometimes with their simple living. However, I do not think that I could handle all the stricted religious stuff. From what I know about them, they are a very close community. If a pandemic occurs, I hope the masses will not target them for their supplies; that would be bad for the Amish people. I wonder if they believe in self defense (weapons and guns). I do not think that they do.
DarlMan View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 10:47am
I can only give my opinion of what I would do, because I am not sure we really know until the situation is upon us.  The world if full of reluctant heros, but you know what we call them -- heros.

I just don't think I could stand by and do nothing.  I am not going to go out an get in the way, but if they needed volunteers I would go.

I am not saying that is what everyone should do.  I just could not live with myself if I turned my back on my fellow man.  If I did live, I would always be haunted by my actions.  An if the SRHTF, I would rather go down swinging.

No one person can save the world.  I just want to feel like I did my duty when the time came.  I mean or Grandfathers stormed the beach at Normandy with a lot more likely chance getting killed than I do by the Flu at least by the stats.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:12am

DM - well put, my Audie Murphy is Gary Gordon, one of the Delta snipers that won a medal of honor during Somilia (Black Hawk Dawn).  My thought is to put my family first - but you never know how that twists and turns.  It could be the best way to protect my family is to help protect the neighbors that live next to me.  It is difficult to prepare for the unexpected, because it is not expected.  To be prepared to go down swinging is the attitude I hope I have when/if the SRHTF for any event. 

Again - I liked your post, our grandfathers did amazing things.

MissRX View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 2:11pm

Excellent topic & replies. It gave me a lot to sit & think about while I wait, prepare, and pray that H5N1 never comes.

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
steve 101 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve 101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:08pm
i live in New Zealand. We import 40% of our food. We run on a day to day basis for food. NZ does not hold any food in reserve for disasters. we are a mainly rural country with several large cities. Not large as in the USA. Main city in south island is 400,000. I look at the scenario here and i pray. Yet we are much better off than most places. If it comes each must do what he must do. I like to think that most will behave decently but I know that most people are too selfish, irresponsible, cruel to otherrs  for them to behave decently. Our material society has made these people think that they are separate from others and are more important than anyone else.  it is only by behaving in a civilised manner that there is hope. Each is born and each dies and the time between varies from individual to individual. .If there is a pandemic then i feel we will live in a different world, hopefully one where people have learnt by their losses that all life is precious.  That may be the purpose of a pandemic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic