Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Why so paranoid????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why so paranoid????
    Posted: September 15 2006 at 9:30pm
I only registed today, but already i'm amazed at how paranoid everyone here seems to be, why?.
We've been hit by epidemics before and come through them, why all the scaremongering?
it's natures way of letting us know that humans aren't as all powerful as we think we are.
Invisible microbes are throwing us into  panic, chill out, deal with it when it comes!
Check my place out!!
http://z7.invisionfree.com/THE_AMPITHEATRE/index.php?act=idx

Ravendawn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 1:47pm
From my own observations of infectious virus's and there ability to quickly spread in the general population "time" is one luxury you do not possess ,as for being paranoid that can happen to anyone who tries to obtain truthful statistics from any Government Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 2:50pm

linds7612......Welcome to the forum.

With all due respect to your comment.......not knowing your age I don't mean to offend, however there is probably a slim chance you were around in 1918.  My mother was, told me what happened, how bad it was, and where my aunts and uncles are buried.  I was also around during the serious flu seasons we've made our way thru since. 

I can only imagine a serious, microbe based, health event occuring now, with a high predicted mortality rate.  What might happen to me, to those I work with, and those I love.  Nothing really matters unless one of the people who die are you.......or them.  Afterall, everyone who has died from natures' way is still...........dead.

Yes, we will make our way thru this and other events.  In the meantime, I'm living my life and not near done yet!!

Count me more guarded than paranoid......more watchful than worried.......and hopefully more living than dead.
linds7612 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Ravendawn Ravendawn wrote:

From my own observations of infectious virus's and there ability to quickly spread in the general population "time" is one luxury you do not possess ,as for being paranoid that can happen to anyone who tries to obtain truthful statistics from any Government Wink
You're right about government beuacracy, their distorting of some facts don't really help when it comes to something as serious as the birdflu. I mean ,don't get me wrong, i'm very concerned that something will strike the population, i'm hoping later rather than sooner. But if it happens in my lifetime i know that it will be devasting, that's why i try to push it to the back of my mind. If i spend too much time thinking about it, then it will do no good for my own paranoia.
Check my place out!!

linds7612 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by The Penguin The Penguin wrote:

linds7612......Welcome to the forum.

With all due respect to your comment.......not knowing your age I don't mean to offend, however there is probably a slim chance you were around in 1918.  My mother was, told me what happened, how bad it was, and where my aunts and uncles are buried.  I was also around during the serious flu seasons we've made our way thru since. 

I can only imagine a serious, microbe based, health event occuring now, with a high predicted mortality rate.  What might happen to me, to those I work with, and those I love.  Nothing really matters unless one of the people who die are you.......or them.  Afterall, everyone who has died from natures' way is still...........dead.

Yes, we will make our way thru this and other events.  In the meantime, I'm living my life and not near done yet!!

Count me more guarded than paranoid......more watchful than worried.......and hopefully more living than dead.
You haven't offended me penguin, as i don't mean to offend anyone with my post, i try not to worry to much about the flu, or any other major viral infection hitting us. I know that it will happen eventually,i hope it won't be in my lifetime, or my kids lifetime, but i think i'm kidding myself there. I really hope that if something does happen soon, then things won't be as bad as everyone fears it might, but we won't know until it happens.I apologise if my post has offended anyone, but like i said, i'm just a newbie here. And just like you penguin, i'm fairly watchful too, and hopefully, me and my family will come through any event unscathed, or at least, relatively so.

Thanks for your welcomeSmile
Check my place out!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 3:39pm
And a small P.S. to the above.......

I might be stirring up a real hornet's nest here but I'm jumping in with both flippers.......

Colin Powell isn't the only one beginning to doubt "moral basis".  Given the potential economic tsunami an epidemic might bring, there may be multiple agendas at work here.

Gotta go, I'm starting to sound paranoid.............did you hear that whispering?
linds7612 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 3:43pm

And a small P.S. to the above.......

I might be stirring up a real hornet's nest here but I'm jumping in with both flippers.......

Colin Powell isn't the only one beginning to doubt "moral basis".  Given the potential economic tsunami an epidemic might bring, there may be multiple agendas at work here.

Gotta go, I'm starting to sound paranoid.............did you hear that whispering?
I find that comment really interesting, can you elaorate a wee bit on it?
Check my place out!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 4:02pm

linds......

No offense here either.......besides we birds have to stick together or we'll both be extinct.

Yes, I completely agree that if you think about this too much it will drive you nutty.  I head on down to the Tiki Room and order a six pack of margaritas or just take a break from thinking about this grief.  You are expressing my thoughts exactly and if we can just escape this purge I will be so thankful I will eat the Spam in celebration.  The only control I have is to prepare.......with food, with the few I trust, with even my mental being.

This forum has become a wonderful support system where we can share our honest feelings with those also concerned, and not worry about ending up being sent to a looney bin.  (another endangered bird.....this one Canadian).  You can see we are a family......you and your thoughts are always welcome.  I've become very fond of all these dear souls who I don't know, haven't met, but share the same burning mission.........WE WILL SURVIVE WHATEVER HAPPENS!

My thoughts are with you, your children, and family as we go down the road.......

linds7612 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 4:16pm

linds......

No offense here either.......besides we birds have to stick together or we'll both be extinct.

Yes, I completely agree that if you think about this too much it will drive you nutty.  I head on down to the Tiki Room and order a six pack of margaritas or just take a break from thinking about this grief.  You are expressing my thoughts exactly and if we can just escape this purge I will be so thankful I will eat the Spam in celebration.  The only control I have is to prepare.......with food, with the few I trust, with even my mental being.

This forum has become a wonderful support system where we can share our honest feelings with those also concerned, and not worry about ending up being sent to a looney bin.  (another endangered bird.....this one Canadian).  You can see we are a family......you and your thoughts are always welcome.  I've become very fond of all these dear souls who I don't know, haven't met, but share the same burning mission.........WE WILL SURVIVE WHATEVER HAPPENS!

My thoughts are with you, your children, and family as we go down the road.......

No offense taken peguin, we are similar when it comes to the only control that we have, food and other basics are all the control i have as well. I live in the deep south of new zealand and i hope that we will be one of the last places hit, that will give us ample time to prepare, i hope so anyway. I hope to be able to learn things from other posters here, as well as share my fears. I noly registed yesterday, but i hope to be here for some time to come, cheers penguin, you've made me feel welcome already.
Check my place out!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 4:26pm
Hmmmmm.....without running off topic about the present condition of the American political scene.

Colin Powell was our Secretary of State, who went to the United Nations about a serious condition in the nation of Iraq.  The end result is a continuing war in which Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, Brits, Italians, civilians, and many more lives are being lost. 

Colin Powell has since resigned, stated the facts to the UN were not completely true, and has expressed concerns which many Americans already share.  Check out MSN.com, or CNN, or any of the news webs.  These concerns were expressed in the past couple of days and lends to the thought that money rather than morals is a play.  If this is the current direction, withholding information/news that might have an economic impact might be edited as were the facts to the UN. 

The whole thing has become pitiful indeed.  The truth is now in the eye of the beholder.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 4:34pm
Gee thanks!!!  Heart

From linds........I hope to be able to learn things from other posters here, as well as share my fears.

From Penguin.......there are thousands of tidbits on these pages.......everything is in here somewhere.......

mooloomen View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooloomen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 7:04pm
I'm more worried about the spread of HIV through the USA. A real threat in my line of work. I am a spirit level bubble diver.

If first you dont succeed, you prolly aint a budgie...
linds7612 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 12:26am
Originally posted by mooloomen mooloomen wrote:

I'm more worried about the spread of HIV through the USA. A real threat in my line of work. I am a spirit level bubble diver.

shouldn't you be back at the colloseum annoying everyone thereCensored 
Check my place out!!

Ravendawn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 1:51am
Welcome to the forum linds7612 Smile
linds7612 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Ravendawn Ravendawn wrote:

Welcome to the forum linds7612 Smile
Cheers ravenSmile
Check my place out!!

mooloomen View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooloomen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 4:36am
Neck up belter.Big smile
If first you dont succeed, you prolly aint a budgie...
linds7612 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linds7612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 6:48pm
SmileHug
Originally posted by mooloomen mooloomen wrote:

Neck up belter.Big smile
Check my place out!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 11:26am
One thing I have noticed on the two main pages of the forum, is that there are some people who really get off on the idea of a flu pandemic hitting. They would deny that of course, but if you are on long enough, you will see that there are people who try to look at the glass as half full and some as half empty. You will see the ones who will time after time, shoot down any good news out there, and constantly post the most dire of opinions or articles. Others the opposite. I think it is how we all deal with stress, some try to be positive, others feel if they are prepared for the worst they are best off.
The thing, I think that is not good is often the main threads have gone to just being opinion and not fact.
In the world of terrorists, bad weather situations, earthqaukes, and tsunamis and of course ever changing virus we all need to be prepared. I do think that a lot of people who are a bit paranoid, myself being one of them, are attracted to this type of website. We feel like we need to watch and know everything, no matter how bad it freaks us out.  We feel as if it gives us a bit of control over the uncontrolable and it does to the extent that we can prepare, but beyond that, and this is the part that is really hard to take, we are at the mercy of a higher power, whatever you choose to call that higher power.
I am one who wants to keep my sanity by thinking that people wil rise to the occation knowing there are always going to be bad things. I am sure there were jerks who were stealing stuff at ground zero on 9/11 also, but I choose to look at the heros. I want to believe we have a chance to beat this thing, through preparedness or vaccine whatever.
Anyhow, as I said, you will soon be able to see that the ones being negative are always the same for the most part. Welcome aboard, good to see you are going to be a positive person.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic