Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

How many makes it Multiple Out Breaks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many makes it Multiple Out Breaks?
    Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:34pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but are we having multiple outbreaks or just a busy week?

Indonesia, 2/3rds of provinces BF 2 dead, (human deaths Jarkata city of millions, Sumatra island, Java?)

China  2 deaths reported a week average.  (Reluctantly given info)

Turkey (Human deaths and more to follow. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.)

Iraq least 2 dead (hundred  so suspected cases.)

Dead Indian Sailor in Germany/ Lithuania.  Where was previous port of call?

Bulgaria spread in Swans

Romania's been erily quiet no news announcing victory. (They've been hammered.)

Nigeria Kill

Cyprus  Bird Positives

Morraco (sp)?

Serri Leone (rumor of infected raw meat?)

India (Multiple species bird die off?

Lake in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir (Don't forget sailor in dead in Lithuania/Germany from India.)

Ukrane (and lower surounding region to Turkey) 

Saudi Arabia Falcons

Hong Kong smuggled birds positive

England Swans

Sure I left off a few. What if most the news is a week to 2 old?

Joe knows more about South America and Congo Regoin in Africa.

Edited by Corn
Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 5:42pm
Gee Corn. You might just be right. If that's not multiple outbreaks, i don't know what is. Let's keep adding to this thread as a way to track and put together all the information we're receiving. -- Libby
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 6:08pm
Isn't it multiple outbreaks in people with H-2-H transmission?
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 6:17pm

Corn! you forgot the ongoing spread of it and what 17 now dead? in INdonisia!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 6:18pm
OOOOPPPS! Never mind!
God Bless us all!
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 7:08pm

Call it like you see it.....

LEVEL 4

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 7:49pm

H2H? ......mmmmmmmmm....we could wait for that officially from what source? or do we compute birds now as harbengers of B2H & H2H.

Whereever outbreaks occur in birds. Birds die. People die.  Human clusters  develope in a 1/3 off bird outbreaks? . Turkey, Vietnam, Iraq, Indonesia. etc. How many do we need and in what given news time lag effect on the reoprting of the cases? 

How do you decide multiple? Its out of Asia with a bang.

How much did the Haj have to play in this and how much will the Olympics?

Don't we have to start drawing out own conclusions at some point? We need to come up with some type of forcasting model of our own facts, hypothises, conclusions and some fiction  and press release it based on that.

Could we form a committe of say twenty represenatives from different areas and vote on it?

DO we say in the US when I hear of it in New York? or La or Seattle. then it's multiple?

To me birds and humans are the same message in a way. .

Let's put our case together for level 4 and put it out there. Its definitely a level 6 for birds. why not a level 4 for humans?

Lets start some $hit with the WHO and lay our case out to them in the press. Let's call them chicken.

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 7:52pm

Hey! I with you Corn!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
gypsybeach1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsybeach1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 9:41pm
Corn,

write up a press release and e-mail it to NYT
editorial dept. Or I can get you some contact names
there tomarrow if you are interested.
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:47am

Yes,

When I return this eve. We can also put it on PRWeb etc. 

Maybe a few more will prep. See if albert will agree on using something like.  "Avain Flu Talk Members Take  Action and Declare Pandemic Level 4

Or

Avian Forum Members do the math or........

We could

Pandemic Level 4 declared by Avian Flu Discussion  Members. Prepare now.

bla bla. I wont mind being the one quoted using my real name and contact data. as long as we assemble some good data from compiling news reports.

See ya this eve. I'd rather do my help in a pandemic now instead of later. So what if I'm wrong. What they gonna do? At lease they have questions to answer. Maybe the press is waiting for someother organization to come forward so they can react.

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:51am
Count me in! -- Libby
merrittjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 6:37am
In the past 72 hours I've become convinced that we are seeing H2H in Turkey, Indonesia and Iraq.   While perhaps the transmission is not yet very efficient.... I think it's only a matter of time.... and a fairly short period of time at that.  I'm guessing that sometime before summer the SWHTF.  Today I am buying a campstove that will run off 20# tank of propane and I am going to fill my two empty tanks.  Things are accelerating and all it will take to start a panic is alarmist coverage on the front pages of the big newspapers.  Better 3 months too early than 5 minutes too late. John.
willtolive
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 6:41am

I don't think I have enough knowledge to help with this...but I'm 100% behind you - the WHO website doesn't even have Iraq on their map that shows the spread.  They are (I would guess) at least 2-3 weeks behind on their updating.  What gives????  If we are relying on them for the news of H2H, we may all be endagering ourselves. 

Corn - you are AWESOME!!!  Great thinking....

Teagen View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 7:58am

I understand why the WHO takes so long updating the number of cofirmed cases but there is absolutely no reason for them to be holding off and raising the Alert Level to 4.

Their definition of Level 4 is Evidence of increased Human to Human transmission.

Level 5 is sustained H2H transimission. I am with everyone else on this what we are seeing is evidence of H2H transmission. I have been waiting since December to see the WHO raise the Level.

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:11pm
Llet's do it. How do we raise the level ourselves? Corn? Any ideas? -- Libby
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:30pm

Lets look deeper at their own words....

http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/influenza/GIP_ 2005_5Eweb.pdf

In the above document created by the W.H.O. it states:

Phase 4. Small cluster(s) with limited human to human transmission but spread is highly localized, suggesting that the virus is not well adapted to humans.2

Rationale. Virus has increased human-to-human transmissibility but is not well adapted to humans and remains highly localized, so that its spread may possibly be delayed or contained.

Examples:

• One or more clusters1 involving a small number of human cases, e.g. a cluster of <25 cases lasting <2 weeks.3

• Appearance of a small number of human cases in one or several geographically linked areas without a clear history of a non-human source of exposure, for which the most likely explanation is considered to be human-to-human transmission.

Aren't we recently having new cases over and over again where they are saying that they are not sure how the person was exposed? (The teenage girl in Iraq whose mother insists that she never went near the birds, the shop keeper lady in Indonesia who was not involved with poultry, etc.)

If we are not already at Level 4, then we are darn close.  

Edited by justme
Teagen View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:43pm

Exactly what we have been saying. I think many people are in agreement with the Alert Level to 4.

The only people that don't seem to be in agreement are the WHO.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 5:52pm

Yes. I thought it was sad that their own published document supports that we are pretty much at level 4, and yet they dont want to admit it.

On the one hand, I am thankful that at least someone is out there trying to do something about all this. (You dont see any of us out there volunteering to control it ourselves).

But on the other hand, I am very worried that we are not being told everything and many people are losing very valuable prep time. This will result in a lot of deaths (not only from bf but from other things like starvation and such). People wont be ready for isolation and wont be able to isolate themselves because of lack of supplies. This is very upsetting.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 6:50pm
If this all goes the way it looks like it's then we'll think that this is a great day.  The CDC is admitting some H2H
gypsybeach1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsybeach1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 8:12pm
Corn and whoever else wants to get in on this,

Here are some important contacts at the NYT. I
suggest you guys draw up a press release, quote
notable drs in the infectious disease field
(olsterham, nieman), leave out all refrences to
religious and/or political affilliations or biases and
e-mail to one of these people. I would start with the
reporters first and if you don't get a reply from one of
them move on up to the editors. Any members that
currently work in the medical field that are willing to
state name, location, and proffession would also
add to the credibility issue. Not that everyone here
isn't credible, but from a reporters stand point, those
with letters behind their name get more attention.

Good luck,
tammy

Abramson
Jill
Managing Editor
News Newsroom Admin
abramson@nytimes.com

Altman
Lawrence K.
Reporter
News Science
altman@nytimes.com

Barstow
David T.
Reporter
News Investigative Cluster
barstow@nytimes.com

Broad
William J.
Reporter
News Science
wjb@nytimes.com

Carey
Benedict
Reporter
News Science
bencarey@nytimes.com

Chang
Kenneth
Reporter
News Science
kenchang@nytimes.com

Golden
Timothy N.
Reporter
News Investigative Cluster
tigold@nytimes.com

Grady
Denise
Reporter
News Science
grady@nytimes.com

Kolata
Gina
Reporter
News Science
kolata@nytimes.com

Mcneil Jr
Donald G.
Reporter
News Science
mcneil@nytimes.com

Nordberg
Jenny
Reporter
Investigative News
nordberg@nytimes.com

Revkin
Andrew C.
Reporter
News Science
anrevk@nytimes.com

Schwartz
John R.
Reporter
News Science
jswatz@nytimes.com

Strauch
Barbara E.
Editor Health
News Science
strauch@nytimes.com

Chang
Laura J.
3634 (public), 1653 (in-house)
Editor Science
News Science
chang@nytimes.com

SaveTheFalcons View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaveTheFalcons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 7:57pm

I have opened a new page on the subject of Middle East falconry as a vector/venue for spreading Avian Flu.  I invite you to join in at the following URL:

http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1348&PN= 1

Alan Howell Parrot,
for the Union for the Conservation of Raptors
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 3:44am
go away. are your falcons responsible for multiple out breaks and gonna raise the level to 4?
SaveTheFalcons View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaveTheFalcons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 5:13am

I am simply the messenger, upgrading public awareness of Arab falconry causing the spread of several avian pandemics, including avian influenza and newcastles.

U.C.R. has been tracking avian influenza across the Middle East, long before today's popular scare, and we have been warning various agencies about the potential for situations like Saudi Arabia.

The anticipated raise in threat warnings, may possibly be delayed or averted by SHUTTING DOWN Arab falconry, which is one of U.C.R.'s goals.  For this action, U.C.R. should be appreciated.

Alan Howell Parrot,
for the Union for the Conservation of Raptors
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 5:56am

I agree but this is a discussion thread about multiple outbreaks. the other you posted was in terrorist. Good luck on your cause.

If you want to get the Arabs to respond do like the Danish and draw a picture of a Falcon pooping on Mohamads head.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic