Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Anybody prepping herbs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody prepping herbs?
    Posted: September 29 2006 at 8:01am
I've been stocking up on herbs.  We are stocking up on garlic and echinacea and growing lots of other herbs.   We feel that we need to have herbs because traditional medicines may not be available.  I know the herbs won't do anything for BF but if you get sick with something else during quarantine, herbs may be the only solution.  Anybody have any recommendations on other herbs to prep?
Ravendawn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 3:12pm
Hi Doomsmom,we are planting garlic in a few weeks time as it takes a long while to grow so the earlier the better,this year we saved dill seeds,sunflower seeds,fennel seeds,runner bean seeds,coriander seeds,also dried lots of herbs for about three weeks to make sure the moisture had gone,to store them we place them in glass jars in the dark and they keep well,i have tried to grow cumin from seed and well its sat in the garden looking like a giant lump of grass Smile
doomsmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 9:44am
According to my herb book, The Healing Herbs,  "Since the 1920's garlic's broad-spectrum antibiotic properties have been confirmed in literally dozens of animals and human studies.  Garlic kills the bacteria that causes tuberculosis, food poisoning and women's bladder infections.  Garlic also may prevent infection by the influenza virus."

"Chinese researchers report success using garlic to treat 21 cases of cryptococcal meningitis."

Although we may all smell bad, we'll be taking garlic daily if the BF comes along.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 9:40pm
I buy herbs in bulk at organic sections of large chain.  Cost effective that way.  Healthfood stores sell in bulk.  I also go to Asian stores for herbs.
I use a lot of Indian spices in small boxes.  Plant a few perennial herbs at home also.  I bought a ton of bay leaves...they flavor anything well.

get spices for rice pudding...we all seem to have a lot of rice.
cardamon... is good for that...add raisons...
jazzy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 9:24pm
hi all,
i prep alot of herbs, mostly as tincture or oil  as i can make things with them later as i need to.  i do have some vacumne sealed dry herbs also.  here are some that i rely on alot:

arnica---makes a great ointment or salve for aches and pains
peppermint & lemon balm--mix 50/50 for a great relaxing tea or make a tincture-works terrific for relaxing and helping you to sleep if you have aches
elderberry--i dont want to ever be without it
garlic--it is what it is and its worth its weight in gold
oregano oil--never want to be without this either
valerian root-as tincture
echinachea/paua de arco/osha root tincture

st johns wort

menopause/pms tincture-angelica/mex.wild yam/vitex/damiana/hops.liquorice root------this stuff works great
calandula--make oil-good for healing skin
comfrey-good for wounds
chamomile
skullcap-relieves pain, spasms, calms nerves

these are my favorites and all tried and true for me

jazzy
Courage is Fear that has said its prayers

Jazzy Acre Herbals
http://jazzyherbals.xeir.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 4:25am
I only have two herbs in my preps, mint and cilantro. At least for the moment. Tea from the mint, and cilantro in most of my cooking.

Question: There is a local herb and spice company that has a wide range of products, but as I know next to nothing about the various herbs, would someone here take a look at their website and maybe make a recomendation? In addition to buying direct from them, they have displays at all of the local grocery stores (dried herbs/spices in .5 to 1 ounce baggies). The company name is La India Herbs and Spices. Just google them. I'm reluctant to post their URL here. Not sure what the policy is on that.

FYI: I've been in their store and it smells wonderful. I did some consulting work for them, but it was nothing to do with their product lines.
Safety Lady View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safety Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 1:43pm
Sorry about that I am brain dead today.

I have parsley, three kidns of mint, pennyroyal, thyme, chives, also this is not an herb, but I have raspberry and blackberry root.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2007 at 12:37pm
I have a long list ( 5 galoon bucket in freezer) and am an avid believer in the healing power of garlic. I also use Elderberry and there is one I didn't see mentioned that is a good anti-viral and that is Basil. I plan on adding it to soups and such. Herbal.com has great prices (the best I've seen) Elderberry for example is $5.50 lb. there and I was paying over $10.00 before I found them. 1 lb. of Basil is about 3 qrts in jars. Herbs will keep indefiantly in the freezer.Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic