Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Emergency aLighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency aLighting
    Posted: October 06 2006 at 1:54pm

I've been pondering the most avisable route to go here.  Batteries can be expensive and not always dependable  (especially in the cold).  Candles aren't that cheap either and you run the risk of lead wicks which can't be good for long term health.  I've been leaning towards oil lamps but only for use with the pure lamp oil which is fragrant and smoke free.  I've purchased a number of used ones from ebay but have had the unfortunate experience of having several of them leak from the bottom.  Not a confrontational type and try not to sweat the small stuff so have just considered these a loss.  Don't want to buy anymore useless lamps so went shopping and  discovered some cheap plain glass oil lamps for about $6 each at Walmart and so I'm picking up a few at a time along with the oil.  They don't shelf more than 3 or 4 at a time so if this is an option you might consider, start getting them now.  I'm permanently placing them in strategic places now, filling them and collecting fire extinguishers in each room along with a large box of baking soda in the event of an accident.  Any other thoughts for lighting?  Thanks, guys.  You've all been so great!  Pamie

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 2:24pm
Hi pamie...I also have the oil lamps and I bought them at walmart.
I have about 10 bottle of smoke free lamp oil...

I'm also using candles with mirror scones.  This gives off more light and its for walking around at night...

Another thing people here have suggested is using rechargable lights that line your driveway...They're charging them in the back yards (so not to be stolen) and bring them in at night.  This will also recharge your rechargable AA batteries.

Another Item I have is a lantern...These are camping lantern and 1 will light up a room of 800 sqare feet ...My glass dome is frosted so that it doesn't blind me when we play board games at night...It also give off a great deal of heat...  You would need coleman fuel or the cheapest fuel you can get in the camping isle (Walmart has them).. Don't forget to get about 4 extra mantels..I still have my mantel in tack for 3 years but if you aren't careful they do break.  If you knock into the lantern or give it a jolt the mantels powder... I only use mine when I camp you would use this more often.

I bought 1 extra lampshade  4.00
4 mantels  5.00
fuel  is about 4.00 per gallon but last a long time..   These lantern take the place of three differnt light in my house.

Hope this help...They also have propane lanterns...They're also very bright...You would have to stock Propane canisters.
700renegade View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 700renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 4:15pm
I'd opt for the new LED mini lanterns and a supply of batteries.  The LED's are amazingly efficient and you don't need to worry about burning the place down.

You can find them with the camping or hunting stuff or the flashlight aisles in the mega stores.

I also have one of the headlamp LED lights ( elastic band holds it on your head like a miner's lamp ) which can be real handy to keep your hands free.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 4:20pm
Happy!  You have been so kind and generous with your time helping me today.  I really hope I can reciprocate sometime - whether or not it's disaster related.
I'm most definitely going to check into the propane lighting (love the extra benefit of heat, too!)  While the oil lamps are an improvement over candles, it really takes a ton of them for and resemblance of real light!!  Thanks too on your thoughts re:  the camping retreat.  Considering your points, we will be better staying put.  My urgency to get away from danger was blindsighting me to the practical issues you so clearly but gently outlined.  I guess I'll be considering strategies for our defense next.  But enough for tonight.  It's all so overwhelming, isn't it?  Take care Happycamper & hope to connect with you again ... You really are an Angel   Pamie
Linda-ann View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 11:02pm
I bought some solar light but they were very dim ,  I would like to invest in better one and I also like the led ights I read about.  
I have candles and lamps .   I dont like the risk of fire with candles and lanterns.   I will try to fist get better solar lights.
Pegasus View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 5:40pm

Rayovac lanterns from WalMart for under $6, have a 'krypton' bulb, take four AA batteries and light up a room decently.  They are now marketed as emergency lighting.  They were a dollar cheaper when I purchased them as 'kids adventure lights' but still a good deal.  Also consider the wind-up lights.  No batteries, no fire hazards.  I did try the cheap solar lights.   Better than nothing but more decorative than functional.   Enough to light up the bathroom.  A trick to try is putting aluminum foil under or behind your light source to reflect a little more light back into the area where you want/need it.   

Now that stores are stocking lights for the various holidays (would never have thought Halloween would be a celebrated with its own strands of colored lighting) maybe check out a set of the battery operated strands of lights or candle stick lights or even those battery operated stick-on closet lights.  
     Thankful4U, glad to hear that you are stocking fire extinguishers and baking soda as protective measures with each of your oil lanterns.  While we're on the subject, everyone remember to change your smoke detector batteries when you change your clocks at the end of the month.   If you do not have smoke detectors, please install them.  You can get one for FREE at most firehouses - especially at their Open House for National Fire Prevention week (starting today).   
     "We do not know the true value of moments until they have undergone the test of memory."   unknown author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 10:07am
Having an assortment of options is best I think. I also have 12volt lights that can be put into a normal lamp and connected with a pig-tail wire to a 12volt battery. They are used in RV's and last about 4 nights on a boat battery. Also at most marine type stores you can pick up solar chargers for shore stations that work if you can rotate your batteries. You can even get lower watt bulbs that are more the size of night lights. best of all they are very safe. Be sure to ask the people at the marine store how many chargers you would need to keep your batteries in rotation. If power is on and off just a couple batteries and a normal charger from the auto parts departement will give you a week or so lighting at a time.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 10:50am
Is there any type of fire that baking soda does not work to put out?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Chloe Chloe wrote:

Is there any type of fire that baking soda does not work to put out?

It would not work on any fire that is very big unless you have a huge drum of baking soda.  Baking soda is not particularily good at putting out fires but it can be used for the purpose, is found in most kitchens and is much better than water when you are talking about a grease or electrical fire.  A good multi-class fire extinguisher would be better.

The following is from the Arm and Hammer website:

http://www.armandhammer.com/basics/magic/#9

How does ARM & HAMMERŪ Baking Soda work as a fire extinguisher?
    ARM & HAMMERŪ Baking Soda can help you in the initial handling of small grease or electrical kitchen fires? It helps by smothering and cooling the fire. Make sure help is within reach--Keep a package handy for your first response! Here's how:

For small cooking fires (frying pans, broilers, ovens, grills), turn off the gas or electricity if you can safely do so. Stand back and throw handfuls of ARM & HAMMERŪ Baking Soda at the base of the flame to help put out the fire -- and call the Fire Department just to be safe! To avoid re-ignition, do not attempt to move the item until thoroughly cooled. (Don't use ARM & HAMMERŪ Baking Soda in deep fat fryers; it may splatter).

For small electrical fires (small appliances, heaters, outlets), unplug appliances if you can safely do so. Stand back and toss handfuls of ARM & HAMMERŪ Baking Soda at the base of the flames to help put out the fire -- and call the Fire Department to be sure the fire's completely out! (Here's a hot tip! Remember never use water on an electrical fire, as shock or electrocution could result!)

Download our specially designed Fire Safety Soda label so you can make your own Fire Safety Soda Box using our 1 lb. box of ARM & HAMMERŪ Baking Soda. Click here to get your own label

GreenTeam View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 8:40pm
I had a small fire on my stove a few weeks ago and used baking soda to put it out. There must have been something under the burner on our electric stove that got hot and started on fire when I turned that element on. I grabbed the fire extinguisher, but felt panicky as I had to read the instructions on it. What popped into my head? Baking soda! Put that little fire out licketysplit.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Linda-ann Linda-ann wrote:

I bought some solar light but they were very dim ,  I would like to invest in better one and I also like the led ights I read about.  
I have candles and lamps .   I dont like the risk of fire with candles and lanterns.   I will try to fist get better solar lights.

The dimmer solar lights work great as a night light if you have a kid that needs one.
There are brighter solar lights I have found the white LED ones are brighter than the amber lights.
You can also get a solar lampost , motion detector solar light, etc.

I think a variety of lights is a great idea.
Oil lamps, candles, solar, hand crank, foreverflashlight, battery

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 7:47pm
Thanks guys; this is all really awesome advice; 1 more question, has anyone used a solar energy NiCad Emergency Battery Charger?  Take care all, Pamie         Thankful4u
Linda-ann View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 8:25pm
Anyone know of a good brand of solar lights products,  I was disappointed with Westinghouse ,  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 1:10pm
Go for LED lights and get the new luxeon ones not the multi array old type LEDs.- The best bang for buck are the new LED 3W drops ins for standard maglites.  A 3D will run at almost full brightness for 22hours on one of these new bulbs and be brighter than the old wire bulb it replaces.
LEDs draw a lot less current than wire bulbs.  Get a head lamp that runs onAAs.  Best are petzl or Princeton.
Get a 12V rapid charger to charge them up off car battery if all else fails.  Go for 2500Mah NIMH rechargeable.
Failing that could up how many AA betteries your have in remote controls, clocks other rubbish torches, walkmans etc.  You will be suprised how many batteries you have in your house.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 1:14pm
If you have any 2 cell torch - change the bulb for one of these: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/arcmania_led_upgrades.htm

These run TEN times longer than standard filament bulbs. 
John at www.lighthound.com is excellent to deal with.  If you want a quality light then browse his site.    I would recommend the Fenix range - they aren't the cheapest (or the most expensive) but they are good- I have several
Wraith View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wraith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 1:18pm
My friend has of the deluxe everlights (5th one down) that works very good. All it takes is some sun and no risk of fire.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Voltaire

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action"
Einstein
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 9:58am
BRILLIANT! Using your solar lights to recharge your AA batteries during the day - and to use as lights at night.

Never thought of that - that is toooooo good!!! I have a small solar charger but it takes 5 years to charge a battery.

I have been considering buying a few of these:

Solar Powered Motion Sensitive Security Lights

But I really don't know how bright they are, or if they stay charged.

Anybody have any experience with solar security lights? My garden solar lights are older technology and aren't very bright...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 6:03pm

We have a mantle over the fireplace but don't use it for lamps, etc.... but I went and got the hurricane lamps and oil.  I also read about the mirrors making the light work better in terms of it reflecting it back into the room, so I went and purchased a 10.00 dorm room type full legth mirror.  (It actually had a pretty silver fake gelded frame with it, Walmart.)  I got the accessories to hang it and will hang it about six inches above the mantle over the fireplace, legthwise, to reflect the mantle's lights back into the room.  It's stored now in my daughters room, serving as her room mirror.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 1:58am
thank,

L.E.D. lights is the only way to go. the more leds the brighter the light is.
get your batteries at the dollar genearl, the alkaline version. they will stand up to durocell and all the others. use you oil and kerosene as a back up. i have a L.E.D. lantern that uses 4 D batteries. it will light up a whole room pretty good. if you need help, let me know.
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 9:07am
Consider kerosene....historically used in America, still used in many parts of the world for heat and light.

Batteries will work for a while but eventually you'll be out of batteries. I spent some time on lighting and concluded that while battery and solar where OK for short-term and emergency lighting the best solution for genral outdoor lighting was Coleman dual fuel camp lanterns which burn either Coleman fuel or unleaded gas. They give off bright light and so long as you have fuel you have light. And they run for quite a while on a fill-up. For indoor, "daily living", the Coleman would work if put inside the fireplace or vented but its noisy and smells some. For long-term, regular use, kerosene lanterns are my choice for indoors and would be a good backup once the battery or solar lights have failed or if you are looking for more "normal" lighting options. Not all kerosene lamps are the same. There are a bunch of cheap "Lamp America" types with a wick that put off some light but are really flimsy trinkets. Aladdin brand lamps are quality-built and have a mantle rather than a wick and the mantle gets white hot so it puts out much better light than other oil burners. You can find tons of info on Aladdin lamps - they are still made and come in several styles. I found 2 new ones on Ebay for $40 a pop. I also have a couple hurricane style kero burners in different sizes and they work fine but these would be back-ups only because they give off less light and are less efficient.     

Not all kerosene is the same. To get the cleanest burn on indoor lamps, there is synthetic Kerosene (Kleen-Heat) that will burn without any smell. Good, clear, 1-K kerosene is also very good. Dyed red 1-K is fine but #1 heating oil will smoke and shouldn't be used unless its a last resort. The high-priced, quart size lamp oil you find at the hardware stores is an expensive way to go...its just kerosene. Lots of info on all of this on the net. Storing sufficient kerosene is an issue. It comes in gallon cans and 5 gallon cans and these will keep for a couple of years, probably much longer. I picked up about 10 gallons of the synthetic stuff and a 5 gallon can of 1-K at Home Depot last spring when they were selling it for 1/2 price to get rid of it. Should have bought a kerosene heater at 1/2 price too but hadn't decided on kero heat at the time. Found a used one the other day on Craigs.list and I'm getting it in shape for emergency heating. Its 17 degrees outside today. This heater would warm the whole basement nicely but kero storage is still the problem. I have been gathering used 5 gallon paint thinner containers from a body shop with the intention to get them filled when I think the time is right....which might be sooner than later.       
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 12:17pm
The LED replacement bulbs I mentioned earlier will run for 40 hours from 2 decent D sized batteries.  You can drop the bulb into any 2 cell torch you have lying around.  They are totally safe unlike kerosine.

Wraith View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wraith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 8:56am
Here's another solar lantern I found. I don't know how well it works though. It has quite a few other useful features also. I'd be really curious to see how well it works. Anybody out there with any experience with it?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Voltaire

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action"
Einstein
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 1:01pm
I bought a Brinkman lantern from wally world. It has 1 fluorescent tube, and a tub of LED's. You can have 1 or the other, or both on. It also has a reflector that you can open or close, to force the light in 1 direction. It comes with a solar panel,a/c plug, and a cigarette plug. It doesn't have a radio, but it only cost $40.00.

Here is something else to think about. I read a post from a guy that goes by FerFal on another forum. He lives in Argentina, which has been going through some tough times. Lots of blackouts, crime etc.. He made mention of using a small LED head light to do things around the house, to do things like wash the dishes etc.

So I bought one and tested it out. The one I bought is made by Energizer. It has 2 white LED's and 1 red LED. It uses a slide switch. Center is off, one way turns one the white LED's the other the red. It comes with it's own batteries, (3 AAA). It has a elastic band that goes around the head, with a soft foam pad The rest on the forehead. It cost around $10.00.

I don't know how I did without these little lights! Anything you need a hands free light this is the one. The light is aimable, so you can put the beam at eye level. Then wherever you look there is light.

I liked it so much I went to buy another one. Well I found out that Energizer has a larger one out. This one has 4 white LED's, and 2 red LED's. It has a push button switch. 1 click 2 large white LED's, 2nd click, 2 small white LED's, 3rd click, all 4 white LED's, 4th click, 2 red LED's, then off. This light is a little larger, but it's twice as bright, and gives you about 10' more range. The switch is harder to manipulate, but the extra light and range is worth it. I wore this all hunting season to get to and from my stands. No complaints.

Both these light are comfortable to wear. The only draw back I found is that you look like a extra from a Star trek movie. But if the power is out, who cares.

I think you should check these out.          
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 11:45pm
We purchased extra lawn torches for outdoor lighting. Figured they'd give a little light and get rid of bugs. We also have kero lamps for indoor use as well as candles, battery lamps and wind up LED's.

God bless. Jo
Kobie View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 5:40am
Originally posted by 700renegade 700renegade wrote:

I'd opt for the new LED mini lanterns and a supply of batteries.  The LED's are amazingly efficient and you don't need to worry about burning the place down.

You can find them with the camping or hunting stuff or the flashlight aisles in the mega stores.

I also have one of the headlamp LED lights ( elastic band holds it on your head like a miner's lamp ) which can be real handy to keep your hands free.
  I agree. They cost more but some driveway/lawn units have a AA sized NiCad batter that you can pop in or out. You can even add a switch to them to turn them off.
  The super bright LEDs really cast alot of light at night - not so much at dusk. They seem to work best for broad area lighting.
  Sorry, I do not have a UPC code or MFG number. I took them apart years ago (***sed the wife off) but now use them to theach electicity to the kids.
  Home schooling during a pandimic is another thing to consider.

Kobie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic