Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Worst case scenario Menu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst case scenario Menu
    Posted: October 09 2006 at 10:29pm

Lets say the balloon goes up, there is no law and no food in the shops and everyone is too scared to go out anyway.

Lawless people will be out after food so No cooking or the smell will bring people in.

Breakfast

Oatmeal (cooked or uncooked) 1 cup of milk made from powdered milk 1 spoon of sugar. 1 cup of tea.

Lunch

1 tin sardines with 3 crackers and some tinned cheese and 1 tin tomato basil onion and garlic in pulp. 1 cup of tea

Dinner

1 tin of soup 1 tin of curry or stew with vegies 1 cup of tea and 1 glass of wine. 1 cigar

Read a book before turning in with loaded 12 guage shotgun loaded and cocked at hand at all times.

Listen to radio for world news - transistor with batteries. Plenty candles and kero for hurrican lamp.

Keep noise down to a minimim Keep head down and wait it out.

Strike rate (percentage of people infected) could easily be 40% or more and if the Indonesian clade goes pandemic it has an 80% death rate - expect higher if no medical treatment available - 100% is likely.

This will be the routine for a year possibly longer.

Any questions?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 4:41am
sardines, crackers, a glass of wine, cigar and loaded shotgun, hey it dont get any better than thatWink. i wish i could do that. i will have to cook. we will have to go on as we have been, just a little more primitive. the loaded shotgun will be there. the .357, the 9mm and the mini 14 will be nearby too.

i took bruss advice and ordered a belt holster for my revolver. i may order a shoulder holster for my 9mm later.

if they come, it will be worked out or i will make my stand here. we could run. we would not get far. my family is either too old or too sick. running is not really an option here. good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 4:51am
I am looking for the best places to cook on a portable hotplate and in a pressure cooker for speed and saving fuel.  I do have a possible fire to cook on.  these would make the smells at the back of the house.  I also have an electric breadmaker, partly for the same reason, ie it could be used upstairs at the back of the house, where the smells would not be noticed by passers by. 
I am also thinking of putting mothballs in the cooker vents to disguise smells.
Beth
doomsmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 7:27am
We're lucky.  We live in the country and the closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.  Don't think my cooking smells will carry that far.  At least I hope not. Also have the advantage of being able to see anyone coming our way.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 9:05am
Worse case menu?  Double dose of Tamiflu 
Ravendawn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 12:14pm
Prepare some meals in thermos flasks,also in a worst case scenario we would have to eat uncooked rice to stop the food smells.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 12:41pm
1 cigar

What if the lawless people like cigars?

"...eat uncooked rice..."

I don't think that's healthy?

a few boxes of the baby cereal works for little kids, adults.
Granola bars?

quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 12:45pm
My plan for us is oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast (after our morning workout in the home gym). I should be able to contain cooking smells in our home for the most part. For snacks I have raisins and other dried fruit. Lunch will be canned tuna, baked beans, or chili which may be heated or not depending on the situation. Dinner would be rice or pasta with canned chicken or beef and sides of canned vegetables or baked beans.
There is an ample supply of all different types of beverages (adult and otherwise), along with vitamin and herbal supplements to be taken daily.
I expect a year or more of this and am trying to prepare for that and more.

As for roving scavengers trying to steal our food...they will be met with a hail of gunfire and several VERY large dogs. If they get past that and get some supplies...they earned them.  Smile
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by wrote:

1 cigar

What if the lawless people like cigars?

"...eat uncooked rice..."

I don't think that's healthy?

I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's piping hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.

Linda-ann View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 9:05pm

Surviving will be about be creative and prepared  ,  survival will be about being able to adapt to different situations.    

If the virus only turns into a Hong Kong type then lots of canned food and rice will help you not need to go to the grocery store and stay out of crowds.  Otherwise my prep list would include fresh sirlion and fried onions and baked potatoes sour cream. 

If it turns into a killer then lots  rice will be practical as you can afford to buy enough to feed everyone for a year. 

This is a basic kit for one person (Please feel free to add to it and correct it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For one person for one year

100  pounds of rice
40  pounds of flour
20 packs yeast
10 bags of sugar
20 pounds of dried  beans
5 lbs dried soup mix spilt pea and ministronie
6 litres cooking oil
2 pounds spices
2lbs parmason cheese
100 cans of fruit
100 cans of  variety of beans
100 cans of vegetables
100 cans of  ham tuna corned beef spam sardines
20 jars peanut butter and or cheeze wiz
20 jars chili sausce homemade
10 jars jam  variety homemade is way more healthy 
30 cans of stew ravaloi chili
20 boxes pancake mix
10 jars surup
20 packs jello
10 packs cake mix 
20 boxes of crackers
20 cans of expensive stuff canned cherries speciality items favourites 
2 jars olives
2 jars pickles
2 jars mixed vegetables
10 jars pickled eggs
50  cartons parmalot milk or skim milk powder
10 packs trailmix
10 lbs shortening
10  boxes granola bars or granola mix ceral
30 packs of pasta thin pasta easy to cook
30 pack of ramian noodles
20 jars cans of sause

vitamins
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please submit your own one year for one person plan adult

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope my list can adjust to when there is hydro or cooking over a open flame outdoors.

The list assumes that fresh meat and produce is eaten and your on your prep foods either you arent going to the markets or they are out of food

I personally own too much of some stuff too little of some stuff
I am creating the list as away to focus and organize my prepping

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 4:57am
How did you arrive at this list?  How do you preserve the parmesan cheese? I'd like to store some.
Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 5:29am
Where's the chocolate in your list....Big smile
Linda-ann View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 10:07am
I didnt its just my guess, that why I asked for help.

I think parmesain cheese is good for a six months
I was just trying to compile a list of foods for one year.
Anyone have a better list ,  one year list for one adult

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 6:32pm

Thanks for the post on Rice, July...I had no idea  about this.
.................................................................................................

"...Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins...."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 6:49pm

How are you storing things like this?  I see myself now with all of these containers of food and I'm running out of them.  100 pounds of rice, what are you putting that in?

Thanks for the list.

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 7:56pm
we live in a small town with no major crime, I have lots of firepower and the ability to use them.   cooking will be done in an sealed area. I don'think people will give us too many problems.

KOMET163

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic