Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If your prepared for 3 plus months.  Share please.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

If your prepared for 3 plus months. Share please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 10:53pm
 hi to all, i have a cookbook  that has a cracker recipe, it called old fashion baking, will post it tommorrow, I just got out of work and its 1: 51 am here on the east coast, too tired to look for it, roxy
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 8:14pm
Homemade Plain crackers    
1/2 pkg{1 teaspoon}active dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water{105 to 115 degrees}
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2cup  all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg  white slightly beaten
course or season salt,grated parmesan cheese, toasted wheat grem,or toated sesame seed
 In a small bowl dissolve yeast in the warm water, stir in oil,sugar, and the salt, set aside. In a mediun bowl, stir together flour and soda. stir water mixture into flour mixture. When the dough becomes too stiff to stir, turn it out onto a lighty flour surface and knead until thoroughly combined. then knead for 1 to 2minutes more to make a moderatlely stiff dough that is smooth and elastic .place in a sealed plastic bag annd chill for 1 hour

on a lighly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12x10 inch rectaangle. brush off excess flour. fold the dough crosswise into thirds to form a 10x4 inch rectangle. repeat rolling into a12x10 rectangle and folding in thirds 2 more times, cover dough and let rest for ten minutes. Meanwhile grease a baking sheet, set baking sheet aside.

Cut dough crosswise in half, Roll each portion into a 14x10 inch rectangle.Using  a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut into 2 inch squares,triangles or diamond shapes, or using 2 inch round cookie cutter. place on the prepared cookie sheet, using the tines of a fork ,**** crackers well.

in a small mixing bowl stir together egg white and one tablespoon water. lightly brush crackers with egg white mixture. sprinkle with coarse or season salt. or what ever listed or use your own thoughts on this topping. bake at 350 degree oven for  10 to 12 minutes or till done. remove crackers from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack .makes about 60

i found this recipe,with all this soup and peanut butter and jelly , i have I will want a cracker to eat it with , I haven't tried this yet, so I can't tell you how they come out good luck , roxy

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 9:36pm
hi Melody...you are real lucky to have those stories, do you record or write them down?

Danger spoiler...telling ending (no big deal really as I thought so myself)

here is the Texas Ranch House Series on PBS... it was interesting, the family was graded :)  the judges told them they would have....failed
if they had lived back then.  The woman was slightly out to lunch.  Dirty dishes...flies, I couldn't watch all of it.  I really liked the colonial one.

Back then...if y'all were dumb you died.

Texas Ranch House

Colonial House

Frontier House

Regency Party

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 5:51am
Originally posted by roxy roxy wrote:

Homemade Plain crackers    
1/2 pkg{1 teaspoon}active dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water{105 to 115 degrees}
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2cup  all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg  white slightly beaten
course or season salt,grated parmesan cheese, toasted wheat grem,or toated sesame seed
 In a small bowl dissolve yeast in the warm water, stir in oil,sugar, and the salt, set aside. In a mediun bowl, stir together flour and soda. stir water mixture into flour mixture. When the dough becomes too stiff to stir, turn it out onto a lighty flour surface and knead until thoroughly combined. then knead for 1 to 2minutes more to make a moderatlely stiff dough that is smooth and elastic .place in a sealed plastic bag annd chill for 1 hour

on a lighly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12x10 inch rectaangle. brush off excess flour. fold the dough crosswise into thirds to form a 10x4 inch rectangle. repeat rolling into a12x10 rectangle and folding in thirds 2 more times, cover dough and let rest for ten minutes. Meanwhile grease a baking sheet, set baking sheet aside.

Cut dough crosswise in half, Roll each portion into a 14x10 inch rectangle.Using  a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut into 2 inch squares,triangles or diamond shapes, or using 2 inch round cookie cutter. place on the prepared cookie sheet, using the tines of a fork ,**** crackers well.

in a small mixing bowl stir together egg white and one tablespoon water. lightly brush crackers with egg white mixture. sprinkle with coarse or season salt. or what ever listed or use your own thoughts on this topping. bake at 350 degree oven for  10 to 12 minutes or till done. remove crackers from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack .makes about 60

i found this recipe,with all this soup and peanut butter and jelly , i have I will want a cracker to eat it with , I haven't tried this yet, so I can't tell you how they come out good luck , roxy

Thanks for taking the time roxyWink

I've added this to my recipes thanks for taking the time..

My Birdflu binder is getting full.  I may need one for just recipes...
I definitely need to get more flour yeast ect...for baking.

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 7:26am
Anharra, I'm giong to start writing up the stories now while mom is alive and I want to visit my aunt(my dad's sister) she has stories of my grandpaprents coming over to this country from Spain(different part then my mom) on the boat and how they lived through the depression here but actually living better than they did in their parts of Spain in those days. Had their own chickens, etc...I need to get serious and write this all down for my kids so they know when I'm not around and of course my dad's WW 2 and Korean War stories.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Repomadman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repomadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 9:18pm
Once the kids are in bed I'll dig my inventory list out if it's not too late, but you might want to consider what I do.  Instead of servings I track calories stored.  For instance my 7 year old 51 lb. son can wipe out what is considered 3 or 4 "servings" of mac and cheese after a day at school and then playing ourside.  It seems to me that figuring out a estimate of how many calories you need per day and prepping on that basis gives you a more realistic picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic