Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Battery operated hot pot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery operated hot pot?
    Posted: October 29 2006 at 3:25pm
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a battery-operated hot pot, or kettle, something that would just heat a few cups of water or soup? I've found them in 12V, to be plugged into an auto cigarette lighter. It seems it would be a handy thing to have, if there is such a thing. I checked the camping section at Wal Mart, the guy had never heard of it. I googled
"battery operated appliances" and found nothing. Is this just wishful thinking on my part? I can't believe that nothing like this exists.
b4giving
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 3:53pm
I wonder if there is a batt. operated coffee pot.It would be just as good.
packrat/mama View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packrat/mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 4:42pm
Have you    considered a propane crock pot?  They have these in the camping sections.  They run off of those portable propane bottles.   Anyone needing to stock up on those propane bottles should be watching camping isles now.  As the season comes to a close in much of the country, many discount stores will be clearancing their camping gear.  Tongue
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 5:23pm
Such an item would drain household batteries in just a couple of minutes. Even a 12 volt item is hard on a car battery, the car should be running when item is plugged in.
Propane is the best way to go, or build a candle stove, using long burning candles to heat water or soup.
700renegade View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 700renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 9:44pm
You would probably kill a full charged car battery just to make one pot of coffee.  How would you recharge?
Better plan on an alternate like the camp stove.
anharra View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anharra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2006 at 10:49pm
In an emergency ... in a sick room...for someone needing air and humidity.   I would heat water in a pan, with small fat candles (4-5) around the inside of a cookie tin with an empty  international coffee tin upside down in the middle to sit the pot on.  Water heats up rather fast this way, I used it to heat food and water for 5 days in an ice storm. 

I had my big soup pot heating water on it.  after a while it looked like a mass of wax with wicks around in it.
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 8:54am

another idea

Dietz Lantern Cooker
M2000 -- Dietz Lantern Cooker

Dietz Lantern Cooker
Source of light, hot drink or meal

Cook dinner for one anywhere, anytime. It's similar to a windproof and durable Dietz #30 lantern but remove the top, add the special grill and use the aluminum plate or 12 oz cup to heat water, soup or a small meal. Anchor the lamp to the ground with the snap-on bottom bracket and holding pegs so lantern/stove won't tip over. Great for patio cooking, camping or emergencies. Green lantern with chrome trim 12"H, plate and cup 41/2"OD, 2 lb.

Lantern uses Dietz Little Wizard parts.

cathypeanut View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathypeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 9:22am
Sorry to be such a dummy but what does this work on? Oil?
I used to have more posts :-(
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 4:24pm
I was thinking that if the car were running the battery would stay charged - but that would require a steady supply of gasoline, not a good idea. Thanks everyone for all of the alternate suggestions.    
b4giving
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic