Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

NOVEMBER PREPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 8:33am
frankiew, you are very welcome. Every dollar saved is a dollar earned we can put someplace else.

A thrift store find resulted in a pair of toy full size binoculars for .75 that work as well as my $30.00 pair!

Mississipp Mama, last week it was getting the yard work caught up on and winterizing the pet quarters. This week and some of next I'll try to get the house ready to cook and entertain about 30 or so people. After the meals on Thanksgiving and Christmas and everyone leaves it gets real quiet, so for years now I go to bed and take a long peaceful nap. I don't do one room at a time I just start with the most needed and work out. One of my son's ran a restaurant for a good while and I'd hear him tell workers "when it all has to be done, it doesn't matter which you do first." I hear that over and over and sort of grab next, next, next.  Make sense?
If you don't see me such over the next few weeks you'll know what I'm doing!
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 10:46pm
hi to all,I went to the store after work again.I heard on the NY news that Great Britain is following 6 groups of terrorists with plans in place, need I say more?. walgreens is having a sale on salt,baking soda, baking powder,pudding, jello,spices 3/200,marshmellows,choc chips, I spent 24 dollars on this stuff,and got alot of preps, most of it was 2/100. the cashier must roll her eyes when she sees me coming in at 12.30 am in the mornig ,lol, good luck roxy
MississippiMama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 6:07pm
  Maysday, I hope your plans are moving right along.  A couple more days of house cleaning, then I can clean the pop up camper, and prepare to go camping during the Hoilday.
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 8:36pm
we have 3 babies in our family... (not mine :) and I am thinking about baby food.  It is expensive to buy the jars...I thought this grinder could be a good back up.  But I do feel there may be too much salt in adult foods.  Fresh veggies would be hard to come by.  Any  ideas?

grinder...

also thinking about buying some cloth diapers.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 7:48am
MississippiMama, it is coming slowly but surely. I've really let things go this year with all the canning and prep work I've done. Between some work, birthday parties, plumbing problems and time out for car repairs I wonder if I'm going to get it done. I have a list of stuff needed from the store too; replace a couple of blinds, a lampshade, a wall mount for TV in dining room, and more "falling leaves" to decorate (I will be cooking for 30 people).

anharra, you can cook and puree or mash and strain vegetables for babies and probably even can it, but I never did. My babies ate mashed (with a fork) table foods like potatoes, carrots, peas and so forth. The doctors tell young mothers now that it's not as good on their stomachs however mine don't seem to be affected by it. I think microwave bottle warming has burned up for more babies stomach than anything. Just my opinion.
Tell the mothers of those babies not to go off on a guilt trip if they have to feed them table foods. I hope they grow up to be strong and healthy like my guys.

Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 7:58am
frankiew, I made the hot chocolate and it was very good. The two granddaughters I've tried it on so for really like it.
Thank you.
gretchen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 9:38am

Prepping has slowed down for me a little since I am planning for the holidays.   Santa Claus is coming to town, you know, and I have to be ready for the grandbabies!Smile

I did go out yesterday and bought twelve cans of chicken noodle soup, ten cans of ravioli, more cans of green beans, corn, and carrots.  I also bought a few boxes of oatmeal and more rice.
The good news is hubby doesn't think I am crazy anymore!Clap  He isn't as worried as I am but he supports what I am trying to do.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 9:45am
I am not doing much prepping this month,to much Christmas stuff to do.

I am focusing on a major house cleaning.   I like my house spotless before the holidays and if a flu bug hits.....hey,no house work!  No one cleans around my home but me,five boys,so this will take a few weeks!Wink
Sassy View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 10:37am
Anharra,
 Cloth diapers and clothes several sizes up and a stock of babyfoods are nessesary if you plan to help others in your family that have small children.

Posting a recipe for a formula, this by no means should replace breast milk or purchased formula, but if one must improvise it is a good basic recipe that will work.

2- 12oz cans of evaporated milk
32 oz of water
2 Tbsp Karo syrup
3 mil Poly Vi Sol Vitamins

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 3:34pm
  Maysday I hope  you have some help with, all that wondeful food you are cooking for the Hoilday. 
Mississippi Mama
gretchen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Sassy Sassy wrote:

Anharra,
 Cloth diapers and clothes several sizes up and a stock of babyfoods are nessesary if you plan to help others in your family that have small children.

Posting a recipe for a formula, this by no means should replace breast milk or purchased formula, but if one must improvise it is a good basic recipe that will work.

2- 12oz cans of evaporated milk
32 oz of water
2 Tbsp Karo syrup
3 mil Poly Vi Sol Vitamins

Thanks for that recipe Sassy.  There is no way I can buy six months of formula for my grandson. 
Shadow View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 1:52am
I've bought a bunch of sugarless chewing gum for when we feel hungry so we can get by without an extra snack during lock down. Then, I got a very bad tooth ache the other day and my mother said to stick this on your teeth until you can see a dentist. Works like a charm! MIght be a good thing to have on hand for both reasons.
Don't run from your past, learn from it!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 6:54am
Originally posted by gretchen gretchen wrote:

The good news is hubby doesn't think I am crazy anymore!Clap  He isn't as worried as I am but he supports what I am trying to do.

that is good news and it must be catching among spouses because my husband is acting the same way! Tongue 
i don't think he has come around so much for the idea of avian flu as much as he loves when we run out of something that i ALWAYS have more in my preps =)

prep on!LOL

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 3:29pm
Oil truck was here today and topped off our tank for our normal winter heating.  Now have 200 gal of fuel oil, 500 gal of propane, and 10 cords of split wood for our wood stove.  Think we are set for awhile.  Also got 6 of the turkeys that were on sale in the freezer.  Was a good week.  Just a side note.  Today at work, the apprentice plumber cut his thumb with a hack saw.  Of all the crafts on the job, we are the only ones that carry a first aid kit in our truck.  I got the bleeding stopped and sent him off for stitches.  Everyone, please check your vehicles and make sure you either have a kit or if you do, check the supplies in it.  I will need to restock ours tonight. 

GG
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:05pm
10 cords of split wood ....
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Im Green...
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:38pm
We just had a new Costco built 5 minutes from my house. I used to have to drive for 2 hours to get to one. Yesterday I noticed a bunch of big pails with Emergency written across the middle. They each contain 275 meals and cost $105!! They also last for 20 years. All you need is water. I didn't buy any - yet - as I'm already prepped for about 5 months or so, but I know where they are in case....Has anyone else seen these?
peace
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:56pm
Thanks for the tip crystal - I will check out our local costco too.

They aren't 275 meals - still sounds like a good deal to me though

Check out this thread for details
Previous Discussion about Costco buckets

abeamreach View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeamreach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 5:06pm
Just got a two burner kerosene stove, a 1965 model by Montgomery Wards.  Also got my flu and ppv23 vax.  Emergency candles, jam. spices, OTC meds, dishwashing detergent, 3 solar lanterns, 40 gals juice, kerosene car motor heater (1 qt fuel tank, stands 8" high , from the 30's or 40's,) stuffed olives for martinis, next....replacement filters for my Big Berkey water filter and whole grain wheat and rye.

Reminder.....from personal experience this weekend.....lift correctly when moving boxes of preps.......ouch!Censored

abeamreach
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 6:12pm
  Hi abeamreach, I still need to purchase solar lanterns.  Where did you get yours from?  I tried Walmarts they didn't have any.  Thanks a lot.  Today I got 6 -5 gal. buckets from the bakery at Walmart's.  The lady in charge of the bakery has started to save them for me.  My new heavy duty mixer came to day, 5 books came from e-bay today, these books were suggested reading by members on our forum.
Mississippi Mama
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 7:02pm

Hi all,  we went out and purchased more white rice, 24 cans of soup, 12 cans of green beans and a large box of those individual creamers that don't need refrigeration.  Somebody suggested the creamers on the forum.  

Hydrangea View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:13pm
The last of my food preps that I'll be ordering online this year arrived on Friday. The delivery person left the box without knocking or ringing the doorbell and it stayed outside for at least 24 hours. Thankfully everything is packed in sealed plastic bags because it rained for six or eight hours. Wonderful.
I received:
5 lbs. dried apricots
5 lbs. dried green peas
5 lbs. bulgar wheat
5 lbs. 12-grain cereal
1 lb. chopped dates
1 lb. each dried chicken and beef soup bases
1 lb. sesame seeds

The cereal can be soaked in water if milk isn't available and eaten without cooking. I'll add dates, raisins, finely chopped nuts -whatever I'm in the mood for.
The bulgar can also simply be soaked in water and is used to make tabbouleh.  

For the rest of the month I'm turning my attention to alternative heating and have three sources. There's a nice stack of dry firewood in the basement but I have to add more. I have plenty of small propane cartridges for my Buddy heater but would like to have a larger tank outdoors. Seven or eight years ago I bought a KeroSun kerosene heater for winter power outages, never had to use it and lost the manual. Last week I found that at their website KeroSun has manuals for every heater that they've ever made. I still have kerosene that I intended to use when I first bought the heater. Time to find out if it's still useable.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:47pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 8:55pm
most of what we need now ...

batteries
anything solar
more water
feul... I worry about keeping warm...next winter.
prepping for neighbors
still deciding on firearm...

bought a lot of handwarmers
cold pacs
hot pacs
water
warm boots
lighters...long kind
putting all my candles for heating/cooking in a big bag... in case I wanted to leave.
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 8:22am
nwprepper- thanks for the thread - I guess I missed it!
peace
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 8:31am
Originally posted by tigger2 tigger2 wrote:

i got 2 more pair of thermal underwear. will have night vision coming this month.

Tigger....where did you get your night vision from?  I am hoping to get this as a gift for my son for Christmas.   What should I be prepared to pay?  Thanks for shaing any info you have.  Sincerely, JD
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 9:24am
Bought the 4th edition of "Prescription for Nutritional Healing". This is an excellent book that covers the best foods to eat and herbs and supplements to use for all kinds of illnesses, just about any illness or medical condition you can think of.

Also 20 bars of soap, 4 toothbrushes, miscellaneous canned food to fill in some gaps, and vitamins and supplements to help me get more healthy.
b4giving
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 9:31am
Originally posted by mom24kidsagain mom24kidsagain wrote:

[QUOTE=gretchenThe good news is hubby doesn't think I am crazy anymore

that is good news and it must be catching among spouses because my husband is acting the same way!

Okay, it's definitely catching. A couple days ago my DH suggested I purchase a case of MRE's, just in case . . .

b4giving
c bass'n View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c bass'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 2:36pm
bought new electric blankets.   Plan to plug into power inverter, that is connected to deep cycle battery.  Has anyone tried this out yet.  Just was wondering how many nights I could go without  having to recharge the deep cycle  battery?    Thanks

P.S. I have gone on fishing/hunting trips for 3 weeks at a time. Live mostly off the land.     First thing that hints you, is SUGAR Withdraw.  We are so use to it, that when you don't have any.  WOW.   This effect's adults, and children.
Safety Lady View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safety Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 3:19pm
I have five huge pumpkins to can.  I am not motivated this week.  I have been canning like crazy.  I also have onions to make french onion soup.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 3:43pm
  I bought 6 tubes of tropical powder, 6 wool blankets from a moving sale for $3 each.  2 -30 pound propane cylinders, and more potatoe chips. I keep eating them all up.
Mississippi Mama
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeamreach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 5:21pm
Mississippi Mama..... I got the solar lanterns at Harbor Freight Tools.  Go to   3w.harborfreight.com for a store location near you.  They also carry a 45 watt solar kit  for $199.99 on sale. Complete set up. All you need is a battery and inverter.

Abeamreach
abeamreach
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 5:24pm

hi to all, I added

7 cans cranberry sauce
10 cans gravy
10 lbs pasta
lg can coffee
5lbs flour
4 cans of cream of chicken soup
2 boxes crackers
 I need to add to the holes in my preps, such as juice,I buy it, they drink it    roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 6:17pm
7 more quarts of vegetable soup. I'm putting canners away. But if I have a good many vegetables left at Thanksgiving I may can more soup. I have 5 cases of jars left, stacked in the dining room at the of a china cabinet. I ran out of places for things so I turned some sideways, draped them and then placed a pumpkin and gourds on them. Blends right in with 6-7 feet vines ran across the wall with "fallen leaves" on them.
Might as well have fun with it!
Good luck to all.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 7:34pm
  Hi, Abeamreach, thanks for the info.  I will check on this tomorrow.  Did you get the solar kit? 
Mississippi Mama
crsrs View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crsrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 7:52pm
I am just getting starting "prepping"...I ordered powered eggs on-line yesterday...pretty good deal 2.5 lbs makes 170 eggs for $10.00. The self life suggested to be 5 to 10 years unopened, 12 to 18 months after opening. I have some "bisquick", powdered milk, canned goods, and even some velveta cheese.

I live in Mesa, AZ and I sure hope we don't need this stuff I am beginning to stockpile, but if the worst case scenerio happens, I can't imagine how crazy this huge city will get. When I try to share the info. about the US Gov. telling their people overseas to begin to prepare for "Shelter-in" folks around here say, don't seem to think this is very real or important. One of my friends says she was sure the city had a plan to deal with the situation. I'm not counting on that for myself, I'll continue to prepare.

Luck to us all in not needing any of this stuff! I am glad you are all here to offer ideas and news updates.
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeamreach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 5:08am
Mississippi Mama... I got one, and then a month later got another.  Still in their boxes.  
abeamreach
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 7:43am
crsrs, welcome to the forum. I believe we are doing the right thing. We can't go wrong on getting ahead on all we can. It will benefit the people who wait until the last minute too, because what we buy and save ahead will be replaced making more available for them. It also results in having more later at today's prices. Let's keep prepping!
Good luck.
c bass'n View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c bass'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 1:14pm
Cold weather is coming now, if electric goes out how can we use the cold temps. to our advantage? 

Could we put rubbermaid storage containers outside, fill up ice cube trays, put in containers over night,  and have Ice cube's by morning.??below 32 degrees.

Could we gel , JELLO ?

How can we keep milk ( powdered mix) cold, juices, etc.

Trying to not to use energy .  Please give me your input.  thank you.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 3:09pm
 I just ordered 30 cans of whole chicken,thanks to Anharra providing me with the info.  It should be here Mon.  I'm leaving Tues. to go campimg for a week.  I'll take a couple of cans with me to try it out.
Mississippi Mama
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 9:24pm
 hi C bass'n, if you put you food outside ,make sure the animals can't get into it, or people , roxy
c bass'n View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c bass'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 9:47pm

Hi Roxy,   Will do.   Think I'll set the animal traps  (cages)  about 25 feet out.   LOLWink

Since it's getting cold, I had forgotten how cold the garage get's and the concrete floor.   Need those temperature gauges, for out side, that's a must.

sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 11:16am
hi crsrs, welcome fellow "zonie" ~ I live in the same city.  I have a few haunts around town/valley that I get "supplies" from ... others, well, I get items as I travel around the state(s) or order over the internet.
Storing food here is abit more tricky than other places because of the heat we have most of the year ... so, I would suggest keeping those eggs, bisquick, milk and cheese in an airtight container and in the "coolest' part of the house.
I guess the best thing would be to "know" your neighbors in the event that we may have to shelter in place.  The neighbors in my subdivision keep to themselves pretty much, but we know a few plus family members that live in town/valley as well ... they're pretty knowledgeable about prepping or asking questions ... that's better than not knowing a thing.  Perhaps you have friends or family up the mountains that would allow you to store your preps ~ I do.  In the event that my family is forced to leave the city, we have a place we can go to and hunker down at.
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 9:02am
You can make your own Bisquick Mix  Substitute. Here's a recipe;

10 cups Flour
3/8 cup Baking Powder
1 tsp. Cream of Tarter
1 1/4 cup Powered Milk
1 1/2 Tbls Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
1 lb. Crisco shortening

Directions;
Mix all togeather and store in an airtight container. Will keep at least a month. Use like Bisquick Mix.

Good luck to all.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 10:27am
Thanks maysday.  I grew up on Bisquick, and my mom would make all kinds of meals with it.  We love pancakes, and lately have been using the Krusteaz mixes, but in times of woe this mix would certainly give us a carb lift.  Besides, what else would I do with all the syrup and canned butter we've stocked up on?

B
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 5:28pm
Westy, you are very welcome. This mix can be put together as needed if you stock the necessary items. It can be halved or doubled whatever the need calls for. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic