Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cash could run out in flu pandemic as ATMs go unst
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Cash could run out in flu pandemic as ATMs go unst

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cash could run out in flu pandemic as ATMs go unst
    Posted: November 25 2006 at 3:56pm
Cash could run out in flu pandemic as ATMs go unstocked, warns watchdog
Nov 25,2006
By Barney Jopsonand Andrew Jack

Cash supplies could dry up at the peak of a flu pandemic in parts of the country as bank branches close and leave automated teller machines unstocked, the City watchdog has warned.

The Financial Services Authority said the vulnerability of the cash supply system was a serious weakness that the government, regulators and industry needed to address. Its comments came as the watchdog revealed the preliminary conclusions of a six-week exercise designed to simulate the impact of a flu pandemic on the financial services sector.

A growing number of companies and governments around the world have launched simulations to assess the risks of a pandemic, which the World Health Organisation has estimated could infect up to a third of the world's population and cause up to 7m deaths, even in a mild form.

The current H5N1 strain, which has proved lethal in birds and could mutate into a form easily transmissible among humans, has infected 258 people and killed 153 across the globe.

In the FSA exercise, which involved 70 of the City's biggest institutions plus the Treasury and Bank of England, the FSA assumed that at its peak a pandemic would lead to almost 50 per cent of staff being off work.

Richard Maddison, deputy head of financial stability at the FSA and the exercise's director, said: "For retail banks, as we turned up the absence levels and threw more problems at them, they were making decisions about closing branches, and the number of ATMs available was falling significantly."

The Post Office, another cash provider, was also impaired. "There would be areas where people were likely not to have cash," Mr Maddison said. Credit and debit cards could limit the impact but the exercise revealed doubts about whether out-of-date cards could be replaced if issuers were left with fewer staff.

During the exercise, the institutions received notices each week outlining developments in the pandemic and its effects on their operations and the wider economy. They were required to provide the regulator with details of their responses.

The events of a five-month pandemic were squeezed into the six-week simulation. Absence rates due to sickness, caring, mourning and fear rose from 15 per cent to 49 per cent as the pandemic took hold. The FSA then lifted rates by another 10 per cent in some areas by injecting a freak blizzard that caused transport chaos into its scenario. In the City, the exercise revealed more work was needed to determine how a return to "business as usual" would be managed after a pandemic. To keep their core operations running, Mr Maddison said City institutions were shutting down activities such as telephone sales and marketing for new business. "Given the decisions you've made, how are you going to return to normal trading, bring staff back in, and pick up where you left off? What about the backlog of work? How are you going to prioritise that?"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/66783950-7c2a-11db-b1c6-0000779e2340,_i_rssPage=34c8a8a6-2f7b-11da-8b51-00000e2511c8.html

Open your eyes people!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 11:02am
Does anyone have access to the whole report?
ian123 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 5:17pm

Never mind about ATM machines. You will not need cash at all. All you will neeed is shelter,water and food. These alone will keep you alive. Make sure you have enough to last for many months. Money and all the rest is not really necesaary. Don't bother with the bills. The water, gas and electricity will be down for months anyway.

There is something else you will need - a weapon and the will and force to use it.. There will be  many desperate people who would be happy to compromise your well being, and that of your loved ones, by stealing your water and food, as well possibly as your shelter- (home).

If it comes to it good luck. And get ready to do stuff you may have to do, like harm people who want to harm you

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by ian123 ian123 wrote:

There is something else you will need - a weapon and the will and force to use it.. There will be  many desperate people who would be happy to compromise your well being, and that of your loved ones, by stealing your water and food, as well possibly as your shelter- (home).

If it comes to it good luck. And get ready to do stuff you may have to do, like harm people who want to harm you

yes,,this is the part of the equation that is THE hardest for me.  i just cannot fathom shooting someone, etc,,,though i recognize it is likely,,, should society break down,that there will be civil disorder everywhere.  Cry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2006 at 8:48pm
try not to worry.... buy long 6 ft or more, black cloth and at some point hang it from windows,  will keep people away... hang from second story windows if you have them....for greatest effect.  Also... (have I been thinking on this or what?) build a plain coffin from pine wood to actual size and put it outside your front door... put some rocks wrapped in cloth in it.  If someone takes it away....make another.  I'll try to come up with more...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 5:45am
There is something else you will need - a weapon and the will and force to use it.. There will be many desperate people who would be happy to compromise your well being, and that of your loved ones, by stealing your water and food, as well possibly as your shelter- (home).

"If it comes to it good luck. And get ready to do stuff you may have to do, like harm people who want to harm you."

I respectfully disagree.

I think we all know now that relatively few people will prepare by storing supplies, and that means that if food becomes scarce during a pandemic that very many people will have to forage. You may or may not choose to kill rather than share, but it seems to me that desperate foragers will prefer to smoke/burn you out than fight you.

I also think that most of us forget that H5N1 is considered a potential extreme threat to adults, but not so much to children (because the killer is the adult immune response). This means that many more children would be orphaned than would die of infection.

It makes more sense, I think, to organize with others now to plan to protect each other in a community that practices good social distancing, etc, and is ready to grow crops for the long haul. The more people you have with you the safer you will be, and the more people you have the more convenient money will be to allow you to work together, paying for labor, trading supplies.

It might seem simpler to plan to shoot the orphaned children who come begging at your door, but in actual practice people tend to work together in a crisis, so now is the time to prepare to work together.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 6:17am
[snip]...in actual practice people tend to work together in a crisis, so now is the time to prepare to work together. [snip] Katrina/Rita proved this, unknown leaders/heros stepped up to help everywhere.
ian123 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 6:27am
And there were others who spoke of murder- rape- torture. in the katrina crisis

I think I'm right in saying that desperate people are people to avoid if at all possible, and there will be a great many of them, because people are lazy, and they think  -' It can't happen to me'. Well it damn well can. Dont be one of those fools, gear up now for what may come. And if it never comes- well a ton of tinned food never hurt anyone !
kparcell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 7:12am
ian 123,

a ton of tinned food, as you suggest, is a good idea i think, but I doubt that gearing up to fight will help.

History shows that in populated areas people always do better in groups, and in this case that will require planning because of the need for social distancing.

Cash/money is the best tool for social distancing because money is a portable marketplace: good in trade for anything, and so allows you to trade with the least amount of contact. A major pandemic lasting over a year could leave us with a global depression/recovery lasting for several years, and that's hard to store supplies for. Cash is a solution, and a willingness to cooperte with others to work and trade for cash - to grow crops, do childcare, teaching, etc.

Now is the time to prepare to work with others in groups to protect each other and this a good forum for finding others to work with.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 7:30am
During Y2k there were studies done that indicated that there was only about $400.00 worth of cash in the U.S.market place for each person. That includes banks, credit unions, and what each of us carry daily. So if the banks incounter interuptions so wide scale so as to stop cash flow or limit there services of ATM'S, Debt CARDS, and Checks. all will come to a halt. cash will have little value and checks and credit cards none. We Talk about keeping things going and this is the fuel that feeds all fires, Money. Flow is key, even if the banks are ok at first if nobody is spending becouse they are held up, out of work, or unable to spend then flow is slowed way down. Not that everyone could but if to many people draw cash to keep and not spend it then we simply run out. Its a very balanced thing, cash must flow in and it must flow out. Interuptions at either end can have the same effect. This is one of the things that happened during the great depression. People pulled their money from banks at such a rate as to stop cash flow. The federal Goverment controls how far a market can drop befor it is closed to prevent this. Its hard to beleave that there are so many people worth so much on paper that if they all tried to gather all the cash at the same time that they would all be broke. This is something that everyone should be aware of and avoid hording large amounts of cash.
I know its a hard choice knowing what to do with this one, so good luck whatever you do. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 7:45am
 The federal Goverment controls how far a market can drop befor it is closed to prevent this. Its hard to beleave that there are so many people worth so much on paper that if they all tried to gather all the cash at the same time that they would all be broke. This is something that everyone should be aware of and avoid hording large amounts of cash.  I don't understand.  Are you saying my paper money would be devalued? I have been saving money at home in the event of the pandemic so I would still be able to pay for fuel or whatever when other ran out of cash. I realize credit cards would be useless, but cash also.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 8:58am
I think devalued is a strong but good word, In a worst case, not worthless, just worth less as what you will spend it on may cost much more, thats if its available. Its a hard choice of knowing what to do and I don't like either side of the coin. I can't say its wrong to stock up on cash, it yours, you worked for it and you deserve it. You might also look at at pre buying heating fuels and such, I know some companies will give you a better price for doing so. Maybe pay down your morgage and so on. I don't know the answers either, I wish I did.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 9:25am

Thank you Timber, I understand what you're saying. We saw price gouging after the hurricanes from water-equipment-lodging, etc. Yes your dollars did not stretch as far any longer.

I also agree people should get out of debt now. The interest payments on loans and credit cards could be paying for supplies. Cancel the extras and see how much you save, it’s amazing what you can do to cut corner. Adding money to mortgages, each year, month and better yet weekly can really save interest costs. We did pay off the land and decided to finish building in phases when we have the cash. So another year or so living in my husbands’ to be shop will be okay. I’m still going to have some cash at home.

kparcell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 9:48am
During a long-term economic crisis, such as that anticipated as collateral with a major pandemic, cash may become extremely scarce because people will not be earning, and food may be very scarce in many/most areas because it will not be shipped away from where it is grown. However, during the Great Depression, some towns prospered while neighboring towns starved. The difference was that some towns printed their own money - local currency is only good locally and so it sticks around to power local production and trade, which is exactly what communities will need. I reminded the international disaster community of this at a UN sponsored conference on disaster preparedness this summer and the strategy was received as a hopeful innovation. There are thousands of local-money systems operating today, and any small group of people can create their own easily. You can visit www.birdshot.cc to learn more.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 10:03am
birdshot.cc very interesting site, thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 11:16am
I'm not sure where your from that would allow local money for trade in todays world, it seems this would be very hard to tax. I have never heard of this one, for that time, but agree it might help during such an event. I think it was the late 1800's before the U.S had a standardized cash system, before that there were many local currencies and gold values. I know that during the depression the feds created all kinds of jobs from street sweepers to lumberjacks and printed lots of extra cash to help jump start things. As for living on local resources I question where would be so independent as to provide all of even our basic needs. Duing the times that we are comparing this to it was normal for people to put away thier winter nut and have months worth of supplies on hand until they had the chance to replentish. Today most are at best weekly prepared and local markets are at best seasonal. I truly feel that we are less able today to deal with interuptions in supply delivery since we are so dependent on products from outside of our local markets. We either need to increase the ablility of local markets to meet the demand of local needs or find ways to continue operations in all markets regardless of the virus transmissions. One way to assist in this is to cross train others within a market to have at least a few others that can do thier job. This is not a new idea but one that is way under done in the private sector.  Armies operate this way on the battlefield and good contingency plans should include this at every level.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 6:44pm

Having goods with real value will be key, such as food and basic supplies, because they may be unavailable at any price due to distribution issues.

However, you do not want to be without cash.  There are certain things and a great many scenarios where all the electronic money in the world or even barter won't do you a bit of good, but the cold hard green stuff, will.

My wife and I each have $500 in 20's, 10's, 5's and 1's, and $10 in quarters, and $10 in dimes stashed away at home.  We each have a similar $100 in bills and coins hidden in a secret and secure place in our vehicles, no, not the glove compartment or other obvious place.  It's just peace of mind that we will never be stuck in a do-or-die situation, and not have ANY cash at our disposal.

This is a good general policy to have, for "everyday" emergencies as well as wide-spread SHTF type situations.  We agree not to touch this unless it is a real, Honest-To-God emergency, not just a whim or convenience.  If that sounds like a lot of money for some people, just start out small and add a little every payday.  Start with $50, and add another $50 every payday for 10 cycles.  Make sure you get mixed denomination small bills and change.  Don't forget that a payphone or a vending machine may be useless to you without proper change, and may make all the difference in the world to you on some dark and desperate day.  Anticipate that while YOU may have money, others with whom you exchange may have NO MONEY to give you change, so you need small bills to make exact change.  If all you have are Ben Franklins, what you want costs $125, you just lost $75 that you may desperately need later, all because you didn't have the exact amount.

Think, think, think.... with all of us thinking, I'm sure we'll uncover even more reasons to have some cash on hand.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

During Y2k there were studies done that indicated that there was only about $400.00 worth of cash in the U.S.market place for each person. That includes banks, credit unions, and what each of us carry daily. So if the banks incounter interuptions so wide scale so as to stop cash flow or limit there services of ATM'S, Debt CARDS, and Checks. all will come to a halt. cash will have little value and checks and credit cards none. We Talk about keeping things going and this is the fuel that feeds all fires, Money. Flow is key, even if the banks are ok at first if nobody is spending becouse they are held up, out of work, or unable to spend then flow is slowed way down. Not that everyone could but if to many people draw cash to keep and not spend it then we simply run out. Its a very balanced thing, cash must flow in and it must flow out. Interuptions at either end can have the same effect. This is one of the things that happened during the great depression. People pulled their money from banks at such a rate as to stop cash flow. The federal Goverment controls how far a market can drop befor it is closed to prevent this. Its hard to beleave that there are so many people worth so much on paper that if they all tried to gather all the cash at the same time that they would all be broke. This is something that everyone should be aware of and avoid hording large amounts of cash.
I know its a hard choice knowing what to do with this one, so good luck whatever you do. 

You could say the same about food. I think since the majority of the population is asleep at the wheel for this pandemic prep stuff, those that prep putting away cash isn't going to hurt the system. There are just too few of us. Your family first. The fed govt says we are on our own, that means WE must do what is best for our families. If that means taking some cash out of circulation for a while, then so be it. I am all for helping other people, but not on an esoteric scale of not putting away money because if everyone did, it would come to a halt. If TSHTF, it all will come to a halt anyway, you will either have stuff or you won't. It's like playing musical chairs. I'm getting my chair ahead of time.

kparcell View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 7:12pm
Timber,

I agree with much of what you write above. Cross-training is a proven metasystems approach to disaster preparedness and it is being employed by many businesses preparing for pandemic: the redundancy protects the system by moving beyond it to address needs when normal operations fail. Local money creates the ultimate metasystem: a redundant marketplace that can answer needs that the global marketplace cannot.

In local money systems the cash is only good within the community. People will still use national currency, if they have it, to purchase imported goods. The local currency continuously recirculates locally, supplying cash for local labor and local production, even if the national currency goes away and doesn't come back. So the local cash is ideal for generating local food and water supplies, which is the greatest concern if flu shuts down borders and transportation, and cripples the global marketplace. During the 1918-19 pandemic, most towns still had true local marketplaces with local food production, and so cash tended to recirculate locally, but, as you say, not today.

During the Great Depression in the US, the suffering lasted years longer than it needed to because the federal government decided to pump national currency into public works projects rather than supporting the development of local currencies nationwide. The towns that used local currency on their own did well because although the national currency flowed out, the local currency recirculated and so powered local production and trade.

This time, the Central Banks are preparing to once again pump national currencies into circulation. But you can't eat money or buy food that isn't there, and the national currency will flow out rather than support local production of food. One notable exception is Switzerland. The Swiss were hit very hard by the Spanish Flu and they haven't forgotten. They've already ordered enough of the St Jude vaccine to inoculate every citizen at least once, and they have a secondary national currency - a redundant national currency called the Wir - that cannot leave production and enter international currency markets. More than 95% of national currency in the US and other countries leaves production and ends up in international currency markets - 19 of every 20 dollars. That means that every dollar of local currency has 20 times the power of national currency to produce locally. It doesn't further enrich the rich or finance wars. It grows food and pumps water.

As for taxes, local currencies is taxed exactly like national currency, but of course taxes must still be paid with national currency. Some economists are working hard to change that and if and when they do we will see dramatic economic improvements. For example, there is a town in Argentina that accepts local money for taxes and the result has been the creation of a healthy local marketplace that feeds trhe poor. Meanwhile, communities using local currencies caution individuals and businesses to use only as much local currency as they can manage and still meet their national-currency expenses. For example, a merchant might limit the amount of local currency they accept to 50% of the purchase. Since local currency is 20 times as productive as national currency and all of that production stays local, even smaller percentages of local currency help build strong local marketplaces fast.

I think we have a good chance of beating H5N1, but sooner or later a pandemic is going to shut down the global marketplace. Using local currencies alongside national currency is an historically proven solution to economic crisis that has been largely lost to living memory, but the information has been collected and posted on the internet by people using local systems to fight poverty and unemployment today all over the world. You can google it or visit www.birdshot.cc and follow the links to the cc library. Birdshot is a completely volunteer operation that charges nothing, and, in fact, some of those links were gathered from this site.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by wrote:

desperate foragers will prefer to smoke/burn you out than fight you.

Those people are called looters in my area, and will be shot.  Neigborhoods will co-operate to guard themselves from the "desparate foragers.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 10:33pm
 hi to all,   good to see you post again Bruss, hope all is well, miss your posts. On the money issue,  If you can put a few dollars away a week ,thats great, I'm saving change, the bills are going for preps.I think we will know on this and other forums, when  bird flu hits first. but it's some thing to think about, and I will. As my dear departed stepfather would say."stash the cash", and I believe it was a horse's name, one of course that he played. roxy
kparcell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 3:09am
Dispenser,

I hope you and your neighbors will cooperate to protect each other, as you suggest, but if things get to where there is looting, then those looters will likely include orphaned and starving children and parents trying to feed their kids - including some who are desparate because their supplies have been looted, I suppose. Will you and your neighbors cooperate to help the starving children? You can't mean that you will murder the hungry kids. So what's your plan?
kparcell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 3:46am
roxy,

That's a good idea, i think: start saving cash in the mattress. Here is something else to think about: You can't eat cash in a crisis - you need a local marketplace to grow and sell food. But the national currency will flow out and not come back. So, unless there is very very much national currency and it is being invested in local agriculture for everybody...

One of the products that can be procuced almost anywhere with elbow grease and a little money for materials is food. Local currency systems are ideal for local agricultural development because they are great at paying for that labor. In some towns and cities the farmer's markets are already members of local money systems. In Ithaca, New York, for instance, farm labor is paid $10 per hour in local currency (the highest farm labor wage in the US) and that works because the money goes around and around. Interestingly, the money doesn't attract migrant labor because it is no good outside of the region. What a great thing it would be for employment, food production, the poor and hungry, and everybody (except slavers) if that was done in every community - and it can be! You can read about the Ithaca system at www.ithacahours.com. They even sell a local-money startup kit, i think it cost under $20 last time I checked.

As I mention above, there is that town in Argentina that accepts local money for taxes, and that works really well for food production as you might imagine, because everybody is willing to trade with local currency and the town redistributes it to the poor who use it to buy local food. That would be a very excellent place to be in a major pandemic. Nobody will have to shoot anybody there, or hide behind locked doors, because they have the food autonomy and cash availability that local currency produces. I repeat that example because getting people to trade with local currency so that you build a local marketplace requires that people trust that they can spend the money, and when the town accepts it in taxes then that hurdle is passed and the system can take off even when there is no lack of national currency.

If we have a couple of years before pandemic, and who knows, then most places have time to start local money systems. My own town has a tourism economy - totally national currency and almost zero local production. This is the hardest nut to crack because there is almost nobody to start with...except artists, cooks, child care providers, back-yard gardners, health care people, taxi drivers, teachers...and anybody who dreams of starting their own business but can't compete with Walmart.
cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 5:11am
   One of the best ways to avoid the use of cash is to use credit cards if and when the flu starts to get out of control. By having active cards with large balances on them , all your last minute shopping can be done, that way you can keep your cash on hand.

Once the flu has taken hold, then I would recommend having real silver coins and precious metals as the currency of all the world would lose much of it's value.
So far my purchases of silver over the last couple of years has out performed the average mutual funds and most definitely the realty /housing market of late.
   Instead of the average Christmas gift I get and give pre 1964 coins and some of the US Mint's silver eagles.. I've never seen a person not like my present yet.Very few gifts gain value over time or are kept forever.
cgh
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 5:14am
Old Indian saying:
Only when the last river has run dry, and the last fish has been caught, will the White Man realise that you can't eat money.
Beth
ian123 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 5:20am
I really can't see what use money would be at all in a prolonged pandemic disaster. You can't eat it or drink it or get shelter from it.

I won't care how many millions you offer me for my tin of sardines - it will not be for sale.

The new money will be items that help to preserve life- food, clean water, fuel for the fire, gas, oil, petroleum, clothes, bedding etc. I doubt if money will get any of these things for you, and only the threat of serious violence will stop desperate people from trying to force them from you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 7:07am
I doubt trade will come to a halt. In 1918-1920 food stores stayed open, people still bought food. Supplies were sporatic in many places, but shipments did happen and food stores did sell.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 11:56am

I won't care how many millions you offer me for my tin of sardines - it will not be for sale.

If anyone offers you that much money for a tin of sardines please send them my way.  I'll be having a half price sale. 

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 6:36pm

I really can't see what use money would be at all in a prolonged pandemic disaster. You can't eat it or drink it or get shelter from it.

Ian,

Surely your imagination isn't that limited, is it friend?

So lets say your neighborhood burns down or is flooded and you have to flee your home, being able to transport only a small percentage of your preps, in the early stages of a pandemic.  Do you have money for a hotel room? For gasoline?  For bridge fare or a pay phone? To pay a doctor to administer medical care or a new vaccine?  Sometimes health is for those who can afford it.

I'm not against physical goods, but one must be careful not to put all one's eggs in a single basket.

You're right that a dire situation such as the one you've outlined could happen, where money would be of no use.  But you must also concede that a less grim situation where money still has value, is possible.  There are plenty of scenarios I can envision under those circumstances, where a bit of cash, at the right time, can make all the difference in the world to you.  Cash will work when you need goods or services, and the person with whom you need to do business won't accept what you have to barter.  Cash will work when banks are closed and atm's are off-line.  Cash will work when the credit company computers are all down.  Cash will work sometimes even when it is, in all practicality, worthless, because people just have that much confidence in it.  They may believe it will come back.  Odds are, they will probably be right.

Cash certainly has it's limitations, and it's no panacea.  But it does have it's uses.  In nearly every SHTF situation the North American continent has ever faced since being settled, CASH has had it's uses.  That's a trend worthy of note.  Given just two choices, I'd rather be sitting on a pile of preps than a pile of cash come SHTF day.  But since this is real life, and I'm not limited to just two choices, I'm planning on having a bit of both on hand.  Most folks will be wise to do the same, I believe.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 7:36pm
I guess I'm not worried about a lot of cash because I want to stay at home.  I will have money in an online bank and use that if there is elec...
and internet to pay bills.  We can expect disruptions, but as others have said they may be sporadic.  Older more immune types will have to take over for those who are ill, some may come out of retirement to help.

Some companies will let employies work and shelter in the same place.
They should be storing food, water and clothing for them in the basement.
And give them combat pay.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 8:06pm

Can't they maybe come up with an alternate system of trade other than with cash?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 8:25pm
cash will be the problem - transmitting the virus
boocracker View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boocracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 1:02am
Cash/money is the best tool for social distancing because money is a portable marketplace: good in trade for anything, and so allows you to trade with the least amount of contact. A major pandemic lasting over a year could leave us with a global depression/recovery lasting for several years, and that's hard to store supplies for. Cash is a solution, ............................................................................................................................
i dont think cash would of gotten you anymore at the stadiums down south heck they didnt have anything you could buy...i do think that anyone less than a trained hit squad should not be thinking of standing up to a mob.look at LA ....cops moved out and it went to hell fast.
just try to think how you would hold off just a group of only 50 thugs.
i know 1000 rounds an 1 ar15 couldnt do it.i wouldnt even try it.
if you plan to stay where mobs may be you should be talking with the people on your street.i myself the first strong h2h im heading out of the city.....i hope all our planning is just that.
kparcell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 3:04am
    Not if you wash your hands, kilt
kparcell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 3:10am
boocracker,

i agree with you completely that planning to get your gun and fight for your peanut butter is an ungood idea and that what we really need is a plan for having food available over the long haul. That's why I am stressing the historical success of local money systems during past crisis: they finance production and trade.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 4:37am
Originally posted by boocracker boocracker wrote:

...just try to think how you would hold off just a group of only 50 thugs.
i know 1000 rounds an 1 ar15 couldnt do it.

I disagree. I think it could be done easily  by anybody proficient with that weapon and a few loaded mags.
kparcell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 9:40am
Empty ATMs is the least of our money worries.

Here is something for fun and to help illustrate the real money problem as it relates to flu:

Do you know how many US dollars the government of China has stored away in its mattress? Not stocks, bonds, and US properties, not dollars held by companies and citizens, I'm talking about dollars that the Chinese government has, physical cash money, like you have in your wallet. Here is a way to visualize how much loose US cash the Chinese government has.

Find ten people who will each give you a single dollar. Find ten more. Ten more. Starts to get hard, but it's only a dollar each. When you have 100 dollar bills, wrap them in a band. Now do it again. Do it again. When you have ten wrapped bands, each with 100 dollar bills, put them in a shoe box. Now you have 1000 dollars. Ok, you've worked hard enough, so just use your imagination for the rest :)

Fill one hundred of these shoe boxes with dollars, and then stack them in a shipping crate so you can ship them to China in exchange for cheap plastic "stuff" from Walmart. Do that ten times until the crate is jammed with 1000 shoe boxes full of dollar bills. That is 1 million dollars.

Now do that again and again until you have ten shipping crates stuffed with money. Neatly stack those shipping crates on the bow of a cargo ship. Then line up 10 stacks of 10 crates. Then do that again, working your way aft, until you have that cargo ship jammed with 1000 crates filled with 1000 boxes of cash each. That is 1 billion dollars.

Now do that again. And again and again until you have 10 cargo ships jammed with 1000 crates full of boxes of cash. If you are dizzy take a break here.

Get those ships underway because you have more left to do and you don't want to create a traffic jam. Begin again. And again and again, until you have 10 convoys of 10 cargo ships steaming towards China, each with 1000 crates stuffed with 1000 boxes of dollars each. Get a cup of coffee, you'll need your energy.

Do that all again - the dollars, the shoe boxes, the crates, the stacks, the ships - and again, and again...until you have

1000 CARGO SHIPS PACKED WITH CASH.

That is how much US cash China has in plain old ready money. About $1,000,000,000,000 (1 trillion dollars). And the US has rusty bicycles and broken kitchen appliances from China. No offense to the Chinese laborer or the US consumer, that is just how it is, and everybody knows it. Hey, paper for plastic, what's wrong with that? Read on and see.

This month, China decided that it has too much of that US paper (go figure) and it has now begun to unload that cash on the currency market. So the currency market now has excess US cash and so US cash is cheap, or, in other words, the value of the US paper is going down and down, and will continue to go down for quite a while. This means that the price of oil is going to go up and up in US dollars. Of course, the oil producing nations must accept US cash for oil. If they do not, then they will be in deep trouble. Only one guy EVER said "no" to US cash for his oil, and a few months later his country was invaded by the US and now he is waiting to be hanged. But the oil-rich countries do not want to be stuck with a lot of cheap US cash that is going down in value so they are also unloading it on the currency exchange just like China is unloading it.

You guessed it, that means the value of US dollars could go down faster still, which means the price of oil and cheap plastic stuff from Walmart goes up and up, faster and faster. It also means that more and more folks from around the world will be buying stuff from the US because they have all that cheap cash, so the US will also have lots of work available, and so this a problem that also has some good aspects for US workers. They can expect their national minimum wage to go up for the first time in many years, for instance.

So, what does this all have to do with flu?

Well, almost all of that cash is going to end up in currency markets. Less than 1 dollar out of every 20 will stay in the hands of people where it is used for production, and that 1 dollar will be worth less and less and less and less. If panflu comes, US citizens will try very hard to spend those cheap dollars on food and batteries and such. And so food and batteries and such will become very scarce in stores and the price of what is left will go up and up and up and up. The stores will soon have no food and batteries and the citizens will soon have no money. So, many of the stores will send their workers home and many of the citizens will stay at home to avoid flu anyway, and so many many people will stop earning money. With no earnings, those folks will stop spending and paying their bills, and so more and more and more stores will send workers home, and so more and more manufacturers and warehouses will send workers home, and more and more and more folks will have no earnings and so will buy less and less...this is what the recent simulation in the City of London proved.

Soon, money will become very very scarce, as scarce as food, with more and more cash staying in currency markets, driving the value of cash down even though people will want it very badly. Credit Card companies will stop honoring cards because too many people will stop paying the monthly installments. Banks will close and ATMs will be empty. With nobody buying, nobody will be producing. Many crops will not be planted, and some that are planted will not be harvested, because the machines will break down and the parts will not be available. Few of the crops that are harvested will be shipped away from where they are grown because they will be needed right where they are and shipping will be very expensive and difficult because gas will be hard to get, stores will be closed, and truck parts unavailable...

The US Federal Reserve MAY start printing money like toilet paper, but that MAY be about all it is good for. And the oil producing nations may finally all get together and say "we don't want cheap US dollars any more". In fact, they may do that very soon, even without any flu at all because the US is not about to go to war with any more countries and OPEC has already started talking about switching from the petrodollar to the petroeuro. If the oil producers stop taking US dollars then oil buyers will stop needing to buy US dollars on the currency exchange and the value of the dollar will drop with no known bottom.

This is almost certainly why China is dumping its US dollars now: because the value of the dollar is threatened by oil producing nations switching to the petroeuro and looming global economic crises such as panflu. China is dumping its US dollars relatively slowly because as the value goes down they get less for them. It's a catch 22 situation for China. But with the US military stretched thin and the US deep deep deep in debt, China sees that the US can no longer afford to force oil producers to accept US dollars, even if the new Democrat controlled congress changes stripes and wants war.

By the way, probably most of you don't know this, but for a long time now, oil producing countries have had to accept US dollars and NOTHING other than US dollars for oil. The US dollar is the "petrodollar", the only money that most of the world can buy oil with, and that is why the US dollar has been king and the US economy has been the largest and strongest in the world, and that is why the US has been uninterested in alternative fuels or controlling greenhouse gas, but instead wholly interested in huge military mite to force the petrodollar on the world. Many people say that is why the US invaded Iraq - to protect the petrodollar and the US economy, not to get oil.

But the party is over.

Economists have seen this coming for a long time, but, like tobacco company scientists, many politically-influenced economists have lied and continue to lie. Check the news. You will see that the dollar's value is going down down down and nobody mentions the petrodollar and very few mention China dumping dollars. I realize that this means that you probably will not believe what I have written here, but if OPEC switches to the petroeuro, then perhaps you will remember and you will know that there is something you can do:

Use local money to create a local marketplace to grow and buy local food and water. Economic crisis leading to the creation of local money systems that work right along with national currency has happened before. It really works.

I apologize for this terribly long post, but I wanted to put all this money info in one thread. It's just my opinion, of course, and I won't interrupt those of you who want to tell me it is nonsense. Hey, I might be wrong about petrodollars and Chinese divestiture...but I'm not. On the other hand, China might stop dumping dollars because the oil producers might decide that they prefer the stability of the US military "protecting" them in exchange for sticking with the petrodollar. Who knows? It's people who make these decisions, and people are hard to predict, as you may already know. And after China decided to dump dollars, the US suddenly began to talk about talking to Iran and Israel decided to talk about talking peace with Hamas...go figure.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 9:44am
Fill one hundred of these shoe boxes with dollars, and then stack them in a shipping crate so you can ship them to China in exchange for cheap plastic "stuff" from Walmart. Do that ten times until the crate is jammed with 1000 shoe boxes full of dollar bills. That is 1 million dollars.
...............................................................................................................

That does it.   No American child will get anything made from plastic this Christmas... 

Is that possible?  Is there anything else?
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 11:24am
kparcell

Thank you for that very lucid and cogent post.  I agree with you 100% that the dollar is due for a smack-down.

Because of this, I believe that anyone taking their 401k and stuffing it into a mattress is making a big mistake.

But that's a lot different than having a few hundered on hand for Emergency Cash.

If you have a 6 month supply of food, a couple of good firearms, some fuel for travel, heat and light, then you ought to be working on creating your Emergency fund.  If you don't have these simple necessities already, then that is where your primary focus should be until the basics are covered.  The most I would imagine necessary in an emergency fund would be 3 months current household expenses.  Figure rent or mortgage, utilities, credit cards, basic necessities - anything you don't have discretion over.  Example: a daily trip to Starbucks = discretionary.  Paying the light bill = non-discretionary.  This will come in handy if your job folds under economic pressure and it takes you a while to find a new one.  But I think that every family should strive to have at least $500 cash in small bills and change on hand for immediate "need it right now!" emergencies.  Flu or no Flu.

(speaking of "you" generically, not you specifically)

BTW that was a terrific post, something every American should read.
boocracker View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boocracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 1:17pm
kparcell
very good port thanks for the eye opener.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 1:20pm
Polly View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 1:33pm
Kparcell,

I agree with Bruss, your post is terrific and every American should read it.

Please don't apologize for it's length. It's well worth the read.
Open your eyes people!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 1:45pm
Thanks for teh great post kparcell!

Do you have any ideas how this will affect the value of stocks.  I'm guessing that large international companies will be affected but will not necessarily colapse whe the dollar does.
kparcell View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 6:55am
Thank you very much for the compliments on the long post above.

Anharra, unless parents home-teach and have no tv or internet, the choice is usually cheap products from China or tears, I know. I don't shop at Walmart because of how they treat women, but how can anybody blame parents for the situation today?

Prepared, I have very standard ideas of how currency markets relate to stocks, which depends on the particular currency and the particular stock market, but you know that is just one factor for stocks.   I also have the usual foreboding about panflu slamming stocks globally, but I can't bring myself to bet that millions die, and of course we hope to duck this bullet.

As for investments, I think third-world water development companies are excellent risks, both morally and financially, both short-term and long-term. My own dream is to establish human-powered water companies that pay their workers and finance micro-loans using their own scrip (local money). These would be self-sustaining, after initial seed-funding, and would continuously expand, creating resilient local marketplaces that deliver water and food resources to those who need them most. The micro-loans in my dream system would focus on art and agriculture.

The technologies and strategies are all tested and proven and I hope to personally implement and participate in such a project someday, although at the moment I am working on promoting the general concept to international funding agencies. I can't imagine a safer community than a human-powered WaterMoney community - resilient because autonomous, with enough local work and local food for everyone who wants it. Even highly developed communities might augment their water supply systems with such a strategy and so begin to move towards autonomy while solving the problems of hunger and risk from global economic crises.

I'm promoting this as a disaster preparedness and response strategy. Consider New Orleans, for instance. The US federal government plans to spend $200 billion on recovery there, and the approach they have settled on is the usual top-down response - the Army Corps of Engineers, Bechtel, Halliburton, Walmart, etc, are paid to rebuild the infrastructure and people then plug in. The result (as conceived currently) will be a city that will fall again to the next major storm that passes, and meanwhile minimum wage for workers at retailers and hotels, or better for suburbanites managing the monoculture infrastructure and dreaming of getting out before the flood. Instead, put people in the community to work building dikes and wetlands and fresh water resources, growing food that people actually eat right there. Build a true community from the bottom up. Doesn't that sound better? To me, it sounds like paradise, an actual new American Dream.

Fact check on the old American Dream: 1 in 32 spent time in jail in the US in 2005 (a record).
diego View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 6:04pm
do not accept anything given to you. that means trade, barter, cash etc. think about the smallpox infected blankets given to the indians. have on hand what you need now, at any cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic