Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

proven home remedies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: proven home remedies
    Posted: December 01 2006 at 2:17pm
is there a thread with this in mind? some home remedies work well. some do not. if there is a thread point me to it, please. if there is no thread we need to start one. example: i have used kerosene as a disinfectant. i stepped on a large nail. it went almost through my boot and foot. i soaked my foot in a pail of kerosene for an hour. my foot healed fine.
Chloe View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 2:20pm
Ack!

If I were in a pinch I would sure use salt water before kerosene!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 4:22pm
what would salt water do? that is my point. i have never tried salt water. will it work?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 4:37pm
i have read about a walnut salve. it sucks the infection out and the wound heals quickly. it is of the amish belief. i have not found anything to support it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 4:52pm
may can you help here? if we cant get to any medical help, then we are pretty much on our own. so far we got kerosene vs salt water. i have tried kerosene, it works. i have not tried salt water. if i have a wound, there is little time to toy with an idea to see if it works. if the bf does not kill us, infection will. all of the old ones ideas are in here. we just need to post them. the indians used to chew on weeping willow tree leaves. this tree is the same as aspirin. they used it for headaches, and various pains.

good luck to all.
MississippiMama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 5:18pm
  Hi Tigger, I would really like to know some of the old fashion remedies too.  Maybe I will start talking to some of the older people that I know and see if they can remember anything.
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 6:29pm
   Mix jewel weed and plantain in a blender and use as a poultice on burns.Jewel weed applied after exposure to poison ivy will kill the poison so will a bit of Clorox in your bath water after exposure.

Blackberry juice works great on stomach problems.

Chloe View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 7:36pm
Sorry Tigger,

I cannot possibly advocate soaking a wound in kerosene.  If you have ever lived near the ocean swimming in it will keep a wound from getting infected.  Saline nasal drops are approved even for children for a reason.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 8:06pm
Off the top...here are a few things...
Kerosene for potential serious cuts or infections if no medical help available. I saw my mothers leg sliced open with a sling blade and it was poured full of kerosene and wrapped. It healed.
Yes, tigger it draws out the rusty poison from nails. Maybe it takes poison to kill poison? I do know when flesh is cut with metal it can result in serious stuff. This reminds me to renew my Tetnus shot.

Soft absorbent cottons make great materials for covering wounds. I have some white flannel baby blankets I'm going to cut in strips, roll up and pressure can (as soon as I have time) to have sterile- on hand if and when needed.

Salt water for sinus, sore throat or drop warm salt water in an infected ear  to cleanses followed by a warm oil like sweet oil-can't find now- pure baby oil, olive oil. Always let any drops going in ear run down the side never drop straight into ear.

Lemon juice is great for small or paper cuts. Heals overnight.

Salsa, eat it if ever you suspect you have food poison.

Sage (the spice) is a good deodorant. Foot order? sprinkle some in socks!

Milk Of Magnesia-still around. Everybody knows it's good for stomach problems but did you know it's a great deodorant? A bottle will go a long long way.

Ginger is warming and helps settle an upset stomach.

Whole Gloves (spice) held on a toothache helps pain.

Lavender repels small insects, helps a headache, is calming and promotes a good nights rest.

Epsom Salt. A little helps the plants grow faster but it reduces swelling too. Make a warm solution and soak swollen hands feet or angle sprains.

Flowers of Sulfur. It is an antibiotic. It smells like rotten eggs but it's a powder I make salve with to treat scrapes or infections on the dogs. They use to put it in used motor oil and brush the dogs down when they had mange. I've seen mangy looking dogs healed by it. Today I add some to Vaseline or shortening can be used. My local druggiest orders it for me. I also make soap so I have sulfur soap, too. If I had a staff infection I'd use surfer. A few people are allergic to sulfur drugs but some are allergic to eggs as well. Do what works for you.

Quetion; when did staff infections come into being anyway? Never heard of then until recently but now it seems everyone who goes to a hospital is subject to taking staff.

Garlic. It has natural sulfur. They used it in WW2 I believe when they ran out of other antibiotic they sent tons of garlic to use.  It seems to be good  for everything. The equivalent of 5 gloves a day is needed if you're sick.

Caster Oil, is noted for having caused perfect attendace records in school in my youth. Don't drink it but do rub it on stiff joints-puts the glue back!

D.E. (fossil shell flour) not only keeps the weavils out of grains but put it in dog food and it deworms and dust cats or dogs to keep fleas off. Sprinkle it in corners in house to form a barrier against insects.

Chewed tobacco was used to treat bee stings. It draws out poison and reduces swelling.

Cod Liver Oil. Used to be put in baby milk when evaporated milk was used (before formula). It comes in flavors today and must taste better, Everyone can use some. It has Vitamin D which we need more of in winter because we get less sun. Some research suggest now that people with high Vitamin D don't take the flu like those with less. It's good for arthritis.

Lime was used in out door toilets and used today to dry up soggy areas, purify, render the soil in good condition so insects can't bred there, reduces fly population and I suspect it may keep snakes out of the yard. I can't prove that but I've heard it and I can say I haven't seen any since using it every spring.

A slice of fat salt pork placed over an infected wound will draw out infection. Wrap, leave on and change the next day.

Vegetable Shortening. Can be used for many things including a base for salve or hand or foot cream. Think about it. It's oils.

Mullen. If you have access to this plant make some salve. It's a very healing potion. The leaves can be steamed and wrapped over a wound.

Plantago Major is a low growing little weed I allow to grow in my yard. It is being used for a lot today but I readily use it for insect bites. Just break and rub.If you aren't familiar with this little plant look it up.

Pine Nettles. A pillow made of pine nettles is comforting to a person sick with severe cold, bronchitis or flu. A herbal tea made from pine nettles is said to be helpful with the flu. One can gather pine nettles, wash them then steam for about 20 minutes let dry completely then grind up and store for herbal tea. I've also heard older folks say pine ralsom would even cure cancer.

Please do your own research on these topics;
 "the needles of pine, spruce and fir trees contain a fairly high concentration of shikimic acid, the main ingredient in Tamiflu."

"Shikimic acid can also be extracted from the seeds of the sweetgum fruit, which is abundant in North America, in yields of around 1.5%, so just 4 kg of sweetgum seeds are enough for fourteen packages of Tamiflu"

This is all the time I have tonight. Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 11:52pm
 Thanks masday, I just saved your listof remedies!
flowerchild View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 3:35am
oil of clove, put on guaze, can help with a dry socket after a tooth is pulled.
aloe helps with burns.
a tea made of catnip helps with stomach aches.
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 4:59am

Peppermint helps belly aches, disolve a peppermint( I used a hard candy - make sure little ones do not get due to choking hazard ) in little bit of water for babies, I would do this for my baby and it helped every time. I use this myself, so stock up before and after Christmas sales !I also use epsom salts for sore muscles and sprains, it is also approved for a laxative use there is a formula for water to salts ratio on the box.  To prevent swimmers ear or if i feel a earache coming on I will put 1-2 drops of rubbing alcohol in my ear, it helps evaporation of the fluid, I do this when my kids swim as precautionary esp. if in lake water.  I think that is the main ingredient in those "swimmers ear" products.

July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Chloe Chloe wrote:

Ack!

If I were in a pinch I would sure use salt water before kerosene!

Had Nails in and through the foot  happen in my family several times. After an updated Tetnus shot we were told by doc to soak the foot in Epsom salt.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 4:22pm
7laws, you are very welcome.

A few more things I thought of...
Honey; I use a good bit and mixed with cinnamon it's claimed to cure a lot. I don't know about all that but I dab some on grease burns. It helps take the burn away and bacteria can't grow under honey. Less time to heal and no scar. If ever I had pimples I would try it on that too.

Tea bags; If you loose a filling or have a tooth extracted place a tea bag wet with warm water over it. It helps keep one from sucking on the area and promotes healing.
Dry socket? That's the worst pain! Warm a tea bag in water, rip it open and pack the cavity with the ground tea. I've seen instant relief with this.

An old Army Doctor told me to feed sweet ice tea to my infant son for diarrhea 42 years ago. It worked and I've used it ever since!

Tea Tree Oil. I use it on skin damage from sun and wind and it really helps. I also use it in steam to open up sinus and have put a drop in saline solution to sniff. It has anti-viral properties too.

Vick's Vapor Rub
; a chest rub used for ages for colds and congestion  but it's wonderful for tired burning feet and some claim it will cure fungus.

My prescription for common foot problems; Soak in warm Vinegar water. Cleans and removes all order. Air dry. Rub down with Vick's. Sprinkle Sage in soaks. Repeat daily.

Anise Oil; OK, I'm giving you my secret ingredient to my fish bait.
It attracts all forms of wildlife - fish too - be careful. Hunters may wish to rub a dab on them. I make a bait you can dip a baited hook or lure into.
For this information I want part of the meat you dress out but I do not wish to know about the wild vicious animals you have to escape from!
Another thing is besides being good for bronchial problems as well, it kills lice. Any shampoo with Anise Oil will or make your own.
Most Health Food Stores have the oil.

tigger, does this help? I'm so old sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again. But I've gotta go to work now.
Good luck to all.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 5:11pm
may,

you are an wonderful person with a lot of wisdom. thank you for sharing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 8:45pm
tigger2, you are very welcome. Keep my fish bait a secret OK? I don't wish all the fish to be caught upstream....
thank you. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 5:14am

maysday,

I have been here over 9 months now and your posts here on this thread have been the best ones yet.  Thanks for sharing your tips that are truly heartfelt.  I'm going to print a copy to share and I can't wait to go nail some catfish with the boys!  Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 8:05am
Cruiser, I thank you for the nice comment. I hope you catch a lot of catfish. I like the smaller ones. It seems the large ones taste more like cotton. I also like smaller perch or brim-they just taste better to me. Thanks again and good luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 8:31am
After reading these posts I got fishing fever.Love bass fishin but maysday is right.Nothing like cookin up a mess of perch.
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 9:51am
Mays, speaking of honey - my daughter has always had a problem with her lips being very sensitive - they get chapped and cracked and raw very easily. Burt's Bees is the only thing that helps. She tried the one with honey once - hated the taste. But yesterday it was the only thing she had left and she used it - she came home from school raving about how great it was, how much softer it made her lips, etc. I know it was the honey in it. It's good for so many things. I'm going to try to get her to use straight honey and see if it helps. Wintertime is bad for her with this problem.
b4giving
doomsmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 12:42pm
A poultice made of sagebrush will take the sting out of insect bites.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 2:51pm
emmajones, yes, Burt's helps me too. I think honey would if it stays on long enough. My problem is that I lick my lips too much. It won't hurt to try. That's how we learn! Good luck. 
third1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote third1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:13pm

Did You Know That? Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Did you know that
Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong
Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu?
Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat?
Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with
Alka-Seltzer . Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though the product has never been advertised for this use. (Note: Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine is not the same..and contains aspirin, which can cause stomach bleeding if you have ulcers.)

Honey
remedy for skin blemishes .. Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine
< /I> therapy for toenail fungus ... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection
... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola
cure for rust .. Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola  and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer
... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409 . Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover
...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's
tomato paste boil cure ....cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters
..To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine .. a powerful antiseptic.

Heinz vinegar to heal bruises ... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly
Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor
.. Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites
.. All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief
....It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

lion of judah View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lion of judah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:28pm
This is a great thread, thanks maysday and third1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 10:33pm
lion of judah, you're very welcome on my part.

third1, good post. I think these kinds of things are very useful in conserving and meeting our every day needs, It reminded me of a few more things I do or know of;

Ground Oatmeal added to bath water soothes dry skin. If skin is very dry or irritated  use hands to wash not a bath cloth.

Bounce
dryer sheets will keep the mosquitoes away. Rub the sheet over exposed area or tie or pin on a child.

Joy dish liquid (and I've used others) will kill fleas on a dog. Lather and leave on 5 minutes. The rear is usually heaviest infested so that's where I would start. Rinse all the soap off.

Tape over red bugs pulls them right off.

Spray yard with Joy & Ammonia mixed in a hose sprayer to run mosquitoes off. I use about 2 teaspoons of each when I know the grands are coming in the season.

Tabasco will make the dirtiest old penny (copper) look brand new.

Catchup will sober a person up.

Drinking salt water relaxes restless leg.

Eating mustard will stop severe leg cramps. Try a teaspoon to start.

Hairspray will ground a fly.

WD-40
is good to spray on sore achy muscles-helps with arthritis.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This list was sent to me by a friend and I don't know if it's fact but it's food for thought. I have one I can't locate on WD-40 (I do not own any stock-I wish I did). Does someone else have it? Because it's good.

Subject: Banana RX

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose

Combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial
boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough
energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number
one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also
help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions,
making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people
suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana.
This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body
converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and
generally make you feel happier.

PMS:
Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates
blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin
in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium
yet low in salt, making it the perfect fruit to beat blood pressure. So much
so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry
to make  official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood
pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school were helped
through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and
lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the
potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore
normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to
laxatives.

Hangovers:
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana
milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the
help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk
soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn:
Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you
suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness:
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood
sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the
affected area with the inside of a banana skin.Many people find it amazingly
successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work?
Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria
found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and
crisps.  Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most
obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded
that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood
sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep
levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders
because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that
can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes
over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control:
Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit
that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant
mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure
their  baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because
they contain the natural mood enhancer, tryptophan.

Smoking:
Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking.

The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in
them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat,
sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance... When we
are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium
levels.  These can be re-balanced with the help of a high-potassium banana
snack.

Strokes:
According to research in "The New England Journal of Medicine",
eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by
strokes by as much as 40%"

Warts:
Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill
off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with
the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or
surgical tape!

So, you see, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you
compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the
carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and
iron, and twice the other  vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in
potassium and is one of the best value foods around.

.......but the sugars will attract mosquitoes
so wear Bounce.

Good luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 5:38am
Third1 and Maysday Thanks again!   Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 10:11am
Honey is a natural antiseptic        the Egyptsins used it.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 1:33pm
Thank you everyone for sharing your fabulous remedies. I agree with you, Cruiser, these lists are really good. I printed them and will give to each of my neighbors.

If you don't have blackberry juice (carolina kid), blackberry wine is also good for upset stomach, ask Joe the Bartender. Thanks again and keep those suggestions comin'. D

235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 2:05pm
Wow great thread. Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 2:53pm
Hey - just tried the Elmer's glue for the splinter and IT WORKED GREAT.

Thanks all - please keep these suggestions coming.  This is now my favorite thread.

GG
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 3:00pm
thank you all for your posts. this is a wealth of information.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 4:44pm
This is a great site!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 3:51pm
Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water
displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle!

Then try it on your stovetop... Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.
Protects silver from tarnishing.
Removes road tar and grime from cars.
Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.

Keeps flies off cows. (any ideas here?)

Restores and cleans chalkboards.
Removes lipstick stains.
Loosens stubborn zippers.
Untangles jewelry chains.
Removes stains from stainless steel sinks. Cleans the fronts of stainless steel appliances (have personally seen the employees of Lowes use it on their appliances in the store to keep them new looking)
Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
Removes tomato stains from clothing
Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
Keeps scissors working smoothly.
Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
Removes splattered grease on stove.
Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
Lubricates prosthetic limbs.

Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell). (any ideas here?)

Removes all traces of duct tape.
Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."
The favorite use in the state of New York--WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.    Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in
mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.
It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL. I wish I had stock!

Good luck.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 6:54pm
This is a great thread. Here are a couple things that I use.

Black Cherry extract, in either juice or pill form will help with gout.

Dawn also kills fire ants, any ants.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:43pm
This thread is a fun thing to do after reading all the bad news.
I didn't know about Dawn or Black Cherry Extract. Thank you wolfgang2000.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 8:18am
One caution regarding D.E., diatomacious earth. It is extremely important to get FOOD GRADE D.E. as there is a difference. And also, when using it, be sure to cover your mouth and nose, you DO NOT want to inhale this. Do a google search and use it as directed for safety.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic