Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

how and when did you start prepping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how and when did you start prepping?
    Posted: December 18 2006 at 6:12pm
i got strarted kinda of strange. when i got divorced i moved back home. i was in no shape to rent or buy a house. the next morning i got up. my mother asked me what i wanted for breakfast. i told her eggs and bacon would be fine. she put her head in her hands and started crying. i asked her what was wrong. she told me there was not always money to buy meat with. i guess my prepping started then. from that point on i kept her freezer and cabinets full. a couple of years later i bought a house and moved my family in with me. this is a good house. it has back up heat, gas hot water. we have an electric stove. now i need a backup method of cooking. i got a coleman stove, a 20lb propane tank and the adaptor hoses to make the stove work. at this point i still have the cabinets and
frezzer full. i taught her how to hook up the stove. you can cook a lot meals with that stove and 20lb tank of propane. i work in a hospital. my work is considered critical, so i am expected to be there. if there is really bad weather, i have 2 choices. i can go to the hospital or get a room at a motel. this has happened several times over the years.

at this point, i am thinking  i am on a roll. my family will be ok. i was prepping and did not know it.

i then discovered bf and my bubble popped. i found this forum by accident.
i read in here for hours and hours. i was frantic. this forum helped to get focused. i realize now that there are other disasters other than the bf.
if you survive the disaster, you will need supplies. this is how i am prepped today.

i am better prepared. thank you all for you posts. the posts start the thinking. the thinking will give you an edge. you will need an edge.

GOD bless you all and happy holidays.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 6:27pm
Tigger - I started prepping because of 9/11.  We moved into our new house about 6 months after it happened and the whole 6 months I kept thinking if we were in our house we would be much safer.  I guess it was just my way of dealing.  We set it up with the gentran for power outages, had our own well, etc.  Then the rest was the same for me - read an article about Bird Flu on CNN and then just started looking for more info.  Found some different sites but this site seemed the most 'people friendly'  A great bunch of people who really seem to support each other.  I soon realized how much I still needed to do.  Took all the good advice here.  We expanded to a propane generator with a 500 gallon tank.  I have at least 6 months food and medical supplies now and still continue to prep.  Don't think I will ever feel comfortable again without this level of prepping.

Also - Happy Holidays to all.  I hope Santa brings you plenty of goodies because you have been very very good this year.

GG
MississippiMama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 6:34pm
  I started preppping for y2k.  When I moved to Ms. several years. ago I started prepping for hurricane season.  After hurricane Katrina I really started preppinf more,then when I heard about the BF I did a little more.  After I found this site by accident I have really prepped a lot thanks to all of the wonderful ideas I learned hear.  I am not sorry for any food or supplies that I have bought.  If BF doesn't hit it, I can use the supplies for other diasters, and if we don't have any diasters that's just fine with me.  I am still glad we have extra supplies on hand.
Mississippi Mama
MississippiMama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 6:41pm
 Hi gghugs, We also installed a propane generator with a 500 gallon tank.  I think I'm lacking in medical supplies.  I have several first aid kits.  I ordered a suture kit, and burn kit other than that I really could use some help as to what medical supplies I should gave on hand.  If you have time would you please list some items we need.  Thank you.  I know this is a busy time for everyone,so when ever you have time is ok.
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 6:52pm
Sure - Mississippi Mama - I'll list it in the Priority Prep Thread - I'm not so brave to try the suture kit yet but haven't ruled it out especially because we cut our own wood and chain saws can be very unforgivingConfused

Also one of the best hot packs you can use is to sew 2 pieces of soft fabric together like you were making a pillow (about 8 or 9 inches sq) and fill it with dry corn - not pop corn- sew up the opening and you have a bag full of corn.  Don't fill it too full you want it flexible.  If power is on and you need to use it, just put it in the microwave for about 1 minute and instant hot pack.  It stays warm for a long time and molds to the place you need it.  We have one that my mother-in-law made for us 10 years ago and it still works great.  If power is out, just set is on the top of the wood stove for a little bit - you will have a nice heating pad without needing electricity.

GG
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 9:46pm
mississippimama;

Vitamins for kids and adults plan for 1-2 years. Tylenol,motrin,bayer ASA both buffered as well as infant. NO ASA FOR THE KIDS UNDER 18 IF THEY HAVE FLU SYMPTOMS. Aspirin can cause REYE's syndrome(usually in males) and destroys the liver.

butterfly bandages,cortaid,neosporin or bactroban,alcohol,peroxide. If you really have to close a wound and have no sutures super glue it. Gotta br clean wound and edges that can be brought together...gauze wraps of different sizes.benadryl caps/liquid.bengay crm.desitin,bag balm etc
Dr d
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 12:17am
I started prepping about 1980 give or take a year....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 4:31am
thank yall for your comments. the new people and readers need to see that prepping is a two way thing. first is the thought process. the prepping will then follow. i have learned a lot in here. if you are new, ask if you have questions. you will get more ideas than you could ever hope for.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 5:04am
I first heard about bird flu in the summer of 2005, but I didn't start prepping (buying a little extra here and there) until November 2005, then I found this forum in February 2006 and REALLY started prepping.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 6:01am
1999...Y2K and all.  My preps have come and gone.  They sure have come in handy when the finances take a nose dive.  I have baked ALOT for Christmas...never running out of flour and sugar!Wink
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 7:15am
About a year ago...and I'm ready. Everything now is just fine tuning, opportunity, and strategy.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 8:36am
Hi to all, I started prepping after 9/11,and drag my sister along , don't get me wrong , she is more than willing. i do the research on whats best to get .We prep  together .I have more room for preps.and we will end up here at my house.I found this forum and learned alot,and learned from my mistakes and other peoples mistakes.any one  just starting ,should read the old topics, and find what works for you, we all don't live in a house or in the country. I have saved alot on food by prepping, and some weeks I don't even go to the store, plenty here when money is tight, all bought on sale . good luck to all,, roxy
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 8:41am
I started about 18 months ago, but not just for avian flu, or avian flu alone. I try to use a 5 year window, because it takes so long to prepp and so much money. I looked at what has happened over the last 5 years and the threats we have accumulated. Then I added them to what could happen over the next 5 years. I'm still not convinced it will be avian flu, or avian flu alone. I leave open the chance that it could open a pandorah's box. I have excepted being prepped as a part of life, unless things change in a big way for the better. I am down to fine tuning now.

Something I have noticed is that being prepped gives me a safety net. Because I rotate food, and a lot of my food is about a year old before I eat it. Any news of it being bad, (and we are getting a lot), will have already come out.

I wish everybody the best, and hope we see some good things in 2007.
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 11:50am
I started prepping as a child in the hills of Kentucky. There was no option. If we were going to make it thru the winter we had to can,pickle,preserve the garden abundance. On my own 1999. solar at that point for as much as possible. I've been adding to the solar slowly. Sure helped during the hurricanes.
Dr d
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 12:23pm
We started prepping around here for Y2K. Things fell by the wayside for awhile since our growing family took most of our attention. Then it dawned on me one day with all the little mouths to feed, we needed preps more than ever. Fast forward to 9-11 and that was a real motivator. Then I realized, I think for the first time, there were people out there that hated America and everything it stands for. Once you start seeing different news articles about so many things that can affect you directly or indirectly you just keep prepping. Then about 2 years ago I started reading about the 1918 flu. From that point on we have been focused on trying to be ready for whatever comes our way.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions that have already been answered. I sure appreciate the warm welcome I've received from all my posts.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 2:19pm
I started 18 months ago and then found this site. Itmade me realized that I needed more. We purchased a generator for the whole and added solar for heating the house and hot water. We just put solar on our well , which I feel is a good idea. We live in the mountains of north carolina and it wooks well for us. We have turned a spare bedroom into a large pantry which makes it easier to keep track of everything. I feel with all that is going on in this world it was the right thing to do. Our neighbors clear cut some of the woods behind their house and we purchased the wood and how have 23 cords. So i hope we are ready for just about anything. I could not imagine trying to get this all done on the flip of a dime. It really taked alot of time to get this all done. I just hope the newbee's realize this and take there time , it can be over the top when you first start out.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 3:37pm

LOL, I guess I’m the definition of a prep-per. I started prepping in East Los Angeles during the 70’s when I got out of a First Responders Unit in the Military.

I learned the importance to be ready for an Earthquake. How quickly you could be cut off or without common conveniences. I slept with a large crow bar under the bed, which came in handy during the Whittier Narrows Earthquake to pry open the bedroom door.

I moved from Los Angeles to Kansas with my two plastic containers labeled Earthquake kit. Yes, everyone laughed in Kansas, so I changed the name of the kit to Tornado Kit when I learned I had moved into Tornado Alley, yep a real lane.

I’ve since moved to Texas. Yes, I expanded my kit big time for Y2K. Now with Bird Flu I’ve expanded my kit to include an extensive medical aspect. I now have a well, acreage, and I’ve split up my supplies, placing them in different locations, hidden away from home with weapons, ammo, and cash.

I’m very concerned with Bird Flu. I lived in Los Angeles during Earthquakes, floods, fires, and riots. I know first hand how crazy neighbors can get when panicked. I have a comfortable six months of preps and basic one-year supply of food.

I hope anyone reading this buys more beans, rice, and medical needs. I’m not an expert even with all these years, I still learn and add to my preps. Get organized make lists of what you have, what you need, and what you’re working towards getting. Prep-on.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 5:53pm
I'm a 52 year old registered nurse. About a year ago I started reading more about avian flu. I was educating myself, but also getting very anxious. I heard about this website on the radio and from the minute I logged on I felt at home. I have learned so much from the folks that share on this site, and I feel much less anxious. I have slowly been building up my preps, but have a long way to go. More than anything I feel that my concerns about possible future catasrophies and my desire to prepare for them are not met with ridicule here, as in my conversations with my siblings or friends. I no longer feel silly prepping, I feel wise. I will continue to prep and organize, and continue to learn so much from all the other preppers here. Many thanks!
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 10:00pm
satomik
how deep is your well? lots of questions for you hope you don't mind.I have talked with two well drillers they know next to nothing about the solar I want on my well.

How deep is your well,what horsepower does the pump have and is the pump A/C or D/C . how much solar did you have to install? inverter and amp controller sizes too pls...
Thx
Dr d
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 7:43am
tigger, I have one thing to say. You are a good son and brother. No wonder your mother buys you flannel sheets.    
You have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. If you hear of snow my way rest assured I'll be sitting by the wood heater sipping my "fireside coffee".

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:35am
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 6:06pm

I first hear of bird flu on an NPR radio piece.  The information startled me.  A few months afterwards I was visiting my doctor and asked him about it.  He shut the door and talked for 1/2 hour.  He suggested I read the Great Influenza by Barry.  About then I found this forum and got a serious about it.  Over time, I brought my DH over to believing.   He's the one who got the metro racks for the basement. Big smile

Each time we go to the store, we get some extra.  We have most of the basics now and I concentrate on a special item each month.  This month is breakfast foods.  I've also started putting a little aside for two families that don't have any money to speak of.  They each have their own box with some juice, rice, mac & cheese.  I don't want them to come live with us.  I'd probably drop the food off at their place anonymously. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 7:08pm
drd, the well is 185 feet deep. solar panels allow us to use it off the grid. we have back-up when the sun is not out for a couple of days. when we had it drilled, we found water at 5 feet. I lived in durango and had a well that deep and while others ran out of water i still had plenty. our well brings 2 1/2 gallons a minute, enoough for 6 family's. If i can help let me know.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 7:10pm
dr. d   dc and we have 5 panels, more than enough for the well we have other than in the garage hook up to it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 7:12pm
I've always had shelves of food stored somewhere in the house. I was small during WW11, but I remember a lot that we had to do. After adding supplies needed for BF I "think" we're good for at least a year and a half. Depends on how many visitors we get. Gotta make sure I look after the yunguns.

God bless. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 7:39pm
miss,

what you wrote is the key. prep with what you use every day. put a date on it and rotate your supplies.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 7:56pm
dr,

i understand what you are saying. when i was little, squirrel and rabbit was the meat at dinner. this was not store bought stuff. you had to find it and then kill it. skinning and cleaning was the next step.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:02pm
I first became aware of the avian flu threat in 2003, but I personally didn't pay much attention to it until September 05 when Bush announced that they were stockpiling Tamiflu, etc....  Of course, like everybody else, I did some research on my own to learn more about what was going on.  I learned somewhat quickly that this particular virus was too lethal to ignore and that the stakes in this situation are quite high.  Anyway, 60 days later we built this bucket of bolts.   

Smile
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:29pm
satomick
can you tell me the size of the panels,how many total watts and the horse power (1/2;3/4).
I'm trying to determine how much wattage you have to use for  just the well.

Thanks for the info. This is a new twist to the solar but important for so many of us down here.
Dr d
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:34pm
My grandfather was a circuit rider in the OK panhandle. The parishioners frequently "paid " in quilts. Gdma always said the taste of material was not to her liking. HA!! SO... Gdpa would go out and shoot the squab off the church roof (that's pidgeon ya'll) .
Dr d
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 6:47am
Kind of Y2K, but not really.  Oh yeah, we got some chocolate bars and kept the vehicles full of gas.  Then had lots of canned tomatoes and pasta, rice and beans, but lots only meant bags not buckets.  9/11 didn't really do it either.  I only got mad, not smart.  Then, about two years ago, I started reading websites about survival and noticed what a lot of peole were doing.  While I understood their concerns, their postings made me think they were survivalist whacks.  Many were, but many more came across more sane.  As I kept reading I started feeling very inferior about what we had.  I picked up some cabinets and we filled them.  Then ordered buckets and started buying bulk grains, beans, and pasta. Then,,,,well, you know the rest.  Now we're just buying things that would make life more comfortable.  Solar lights, a Honda 2000 (anti-Honda for years, but I love that generator), Berkey water filter, nails, glue, shoelaces, whatever.  We're good for a very long time, but I know we'll never stop.  It IS our way of life.  Banana cream pudding anyone?

B
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 10:57am
Hi everyone ... my intro to prepping began when I was very young.  I stayed with my gramma for awhile and learned to make do without alot of things and lived off the land (cornfield, rabbits, prarie dogs, sheep, foraging).  Later I was sent off to live with an LDS family(Mormons).  I learned a great deal as they "prepared every needful thing."  They lived on a farm so they grew their own gardens and animals, sewed their own clothes and quilts, made their own bread with fresh ground wheat they had in storage, got ready for the winter with the extra wood and fuels, etc.  Even though I was very young, it was quite the experience for me.  Much of this has stayed with me over the years, and when I started my own family ... I did as much as I could to prepare - my DH just couldn't understand why I got so much extras in groceries ... but when work started slowing down, he realized how much that "extra" helped.  So, now with the older children grown and the younger ones finishing high school ... we're still prepping for their future as well as for their significant others!  At this point, it's just become a way of living for me ... if BF doesn't come round, something else will ~ job loss, serious illness, nature's wrath ~ and we'll be ready for whatever comes our way as well.
LS
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 7:50am
Dr. D sorry this toke so long The guys that is doing my solar name is Kent Hively 828-773-9762. He said to call him and he would help you. My panels are 4by 3 with 980 watts of power. The wall only needs 340 watts so we are using the rest for the same hook-ups that our house generator will be using. this way if our propane 500 gallon tanks runs out , we have solar to run the house. we will have batteries along with the inverter for back -up. So with solar for the hot water heaters and furnace we sould be ok. We orginally purchase the solar to run water to our pond. We found that using a foot valve had ALOT of problems that we could not overcome, so using the panels for the will turned out to be better all around. Hope Kent can help. satomick
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 7:54am
DrD watts all depend on how deep your well is . The deeper the more watts you will be using.
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2006 at 8:51pm
Thanks for the info. If you only have 980 watts solar,then I take it you are not using it for A/C or heating....My 3 ton A/C will require a 3.6 KW system to run...heat a lot less,but I'm in FL.
Do you have a separate solar hot water heater?
Nice deduction from the FEDS on that...
Dr d
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 6:28am
this is not connected to or solar heating of water and house heating. We have 8 panels on the house for that and 6 panels for well and extra for the house. Yes is is a good deduction. we have a total of 14 panels of solar. Also we did this last Feburary and solar prising has gone thur the roof since. Kent is how having a hard time getting new panels for jobs . The solar for heating and hot water is asd follows: we a 500 gallons tank of water in our garage, the eight panels heat the water and it goes back to the tanks which heat's the water. We have a radiator hooked up to our furance which heats the air so that we do not use so much propane. Hope this helps
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 6:31am
sorry how this game out . Broke my glasses last night and really need to het them fixed.
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 10:24pm
I may be able to help Kent thru some friends. Jennifer@ZAYASENERGY.COM.
They handle everything solar and some off shoots as well. Tell Kent to say Dr d told to get in touch.
We have a solar hot water heater witha solar pump to bring the water to the panels.It is a drainback system.I also have 6 panels so far and 20 solar lights and 5 solar motion detector flood lights. Nice beam from them too.
I have two solar attic fans and am having installed two solartubes for lighting up darker areas of the house'
I'm trying to get financing for a 5KW system. I am using a Solcool 3 ton,high humidity A/C that will run on 110AC or 24-7 off a 1.3 KW system.
Gel batteries for longer life...
Any other suggestions/additions to what else I should get?
Dr d
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 6:00am
Sounds like we have everything down to the letter that you have. Solar on the well is the only things. Living in the mountains air is not that important. Kent works with the University in boone n.c. and knows alot about the subject.
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 10:17pm
have you thought about using any wind turbines up there??

Thanks for the info Satomick
Dr d
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 6:20am
DR.D If I wanted to spend more money ...that is where I would go. Solar is not cheep .THis is all that I have done: 5 attic fans,solar tanks and panels for heating the house and hot water, solar for the well with back-up for our house generator. We have a large clothsline for drying clothes. Planted trees 3 years ago on south side of our house to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the fall. Wind would be great, maybe later down the road. Happy New Year!!
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 9:06am
Satomick,I agree it is not cheap.but the ROI is seven to nine years which is quite acceptable return on an investment. Plus per the National Asso of realestate Appraisers,for each dollar of utility saved the value of your home goes up by twenty dollars.

ZayasEnergy I know is working with Solcool Inc. They has just signed an agreement with Magwind a totally different concept in windturbines. I'll keep you updated. I don't have prices yet. I've already asked for them.

Had two kids in this week with a rash that resembles scarlet fever rash ie strep infection. BUT their eyes were red too. SOO... gotta think it MAY be Kawasaki's disease....not common in Hispanics,especially in girls and even more so in someone under the age of 6 months,but.....off to infectious disease. Nasty sequelae if not given gamma globulins and ASA. Coronary aneursyms. I've seen those once in a Black child. Once is too much..
Everyone have a WONDERFUL HOLIDAY WEEKEND. Pls be safe out there
d
Dr d
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 9:20am
I began in March of 2006. An innocent enough conversation with a co-worker about bird flu took an eerie turn when we began talking about what might happen if our food and supplies couldn't get to us. My friend, Michael said "It could be like the book: The Stand". That book (which I've read 3 times) had such an impact on me that the mere thought of it sent me to the store that very day for my first batch of canned goods. Yeesh....
anyone who's read that book just has to remember the scene in the Lincoln Tunnel outside NYC. Brrrrr..... Well, here I am, 3 months worth of food, 100 masks, 150 batteries, 1 generator, 2 full doses of Tamiflu and countless other prep supplies later. I'm no longer worried that we'll be stepping over dead bodies, but it feels good to be prepared. I did not store as much as a thimble of water for Y2K, but there's something very disturbing about H5N1. I don't like it....don't like it at all.......
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 10:48am
Does anyone know the difference between a smart person and a wise person???

A smart person learns from their mistakes.

A wise person learns for other peoples mistakes.

I grew up in hurricane country. It was just normal to have "hurricane supplies" on hand. During my government sponsored (US Army) trip to Alaska. I was taught to keep supplies in my vehicle and home, just in case.
(Lets not forget the Boy Scouts.)

I've spent my entire adult life in one branch or another of government service. I've seen hundreds of people suffer they refuse to take heed to the warnings given, or refused to respect mother nature. (I call it living on the planet Disney.)

Experience, Mine and others, have taught me to expect infrastructure disruptions. I always kept at least 2 weeks of non-perishable food stuff on hand. Upon hearing about the "Bird flu" I've increased that considerably.

I try to spread the word. Some take it, some don't.
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 2:43pm
amen. You tell who you can and try to pick the folks that are interested in more. I have friends in Alabama that are getting ready. I gave them a copy of my 8 page list and told them about the Univ of Georgia's website for emerg prep.(UGA is recommending one year of supplies)
Dr d
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic