Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Where to buy? Mercury Thermometer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to buy? Mercury Thermometer
    Posted: December 29 2006 at 9:40pm
I've been trying to find a plain old mercury thermometer. Does anyone know if they quit making them?

We have the battery operated type that you put in your ear, but I really want to get the mercury type as a backup for when we don't have batteries. I had one that we took on vacations to Mexico, but I can't seem to find it.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 12:14am
I think the tuna ate it all so they cant make any more mercury thermometers.
Just kiddin.I could be wrong but I thought someone posted they quit making them.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 1:34am
Try CVS pharmacy.  They do not have the mercury ones but they do have an old fashioned looking thermometer that works the same but  just does not have the mercury.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 6:49am
They quit making the mercury thermometers, but you can still buy the manual thermometer filled with a mercury substitute. Our drugstore carries them for about $7. Ebay also has them out on it.    
KwaiChangCaine View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KwaiChangCaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 7:02am
You can still get the real mercury ones on Ebay while they last.  There were a couple of sellers that had quantities of new ones when I got mine a few months back
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. - Albert Einstein
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 9:54am
I would second CVS Pharmacy, that's where I found mine earlier this year.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 12:35pm
Thanks for all your ideas.
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 2:58pm
one ounce of mercury can poison you and kill a child. Remember how we used to play with mercury at school science class? we called it quick silver...
If these are still being sold they are illegal to have and hazmat is to be caled in case of breakage because of the risk to the environment...
They have even trained dogs(in Europe) to sniff out even a gram of mercury because of its impact.
Dr d
Just Ducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 4:34pm
dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 4:41pm
Justducky
Sorry you had to endure the chelations. Painful I know.Glad however that you could share with everyone here
Dr d
KwaiChangCaine View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KwaiChangCaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by dr d dr d wrote:

one ounce of mercury can poison you and kill a child. Remember how we used to play with mercury at school science class? we called it quick silver...
If these are still being sold they are illegal to have and hazmat is to be caled in case of breakage because of the risk to the environment...
They have even trained dogs(in Europe) to sniff out even a gram of mercury because of its impact.

There are some state and local laws in the US regulating the manufacture, sale, disposal, new installation of, etc. of thermometers, thermostats, and other mercury-added devices.  In most states, including mine, there are no such laws that have anything to do with mercury thermometers.  The only national laws deal with hazardous waste.  I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but all existing mercury devices are grandfathered in.

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. - Albert Einstein
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 6:50pm
I really wasn't planning on biting a mercury thermometer as I'm an adult who has used mercury thermometer's responsibly for years. I guess our government must protect us from everything. Why, then, haven't they outlawed cigarettes?

justducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 7:45am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 8:35am
We broke our last remining Merc Thermometer last month.  Kids were taken aback by how emphatic I was to not touch the little silver balls.  I put the merc in a jar and let them at least see something they may never see again  - hopefully.
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Annere Annere wrote:

I really wasn't planning on biting a mercury thermometer as I'm an adult who has used mercury thermometer's responsibly for years. I guess our government must protect us from everything. Why, then, haven't they outlawed cigarettes?

It is my understanding that the reason they are regulating mercury is due to safe disposal issues. In our neck of the woods the waterways are showing signs of mercury poisoning, which some feel has been leached via landfills, toxic emissions, etc.   The logic behind regulating the thermometers is that there are other means by which you can determine body temps, and the glass mercury thermometers get broken very easily..not only by folks biting them. I still have my Mom's old mercury thermometer, but don't know how to safely dispose of it? Anyone know? Sincerely, JD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic