Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .
    Posted: January 17 2007 at 8:29am
(Topic title and post deleted by the original poster)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 8:46am
War has always been economically beneficial to the world, although not at the time people are dying.  If we are overpopulated now, what would it have been like without the two big ones, the smaller ones, and especially the Civil War?  This can only be a black and white discusion as those of us who have lost friends and family in the wars would gladly take those people back if it were possible.  AI could also be beneficial to the world, but the suffering before that time is quite an ugly thought.  I know 5 years ago I never thought I/we would be in the position we are in right now, but I guess that's life,,,,,and death.  In the long run,,,a definitive 'Yes'.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 8:47am
kickyguilt, everybody wants to go to Heaven but no one wants to die. I only know that I would not wish to be the only person alive. There would be nothing to live for! If I could swap places with one of my children or grandchildren I would in a heartbeat. I don't have the answers but I know the one who does.

On the thoughts of "survival of the fittest" that would not be so if it kills off the young and the healthy. Older folks like me with health problems may be what is left.
We must find ways to protect our youth.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 8:49am
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 9:38am
History has always has a way with the checks and balances of population. It doesn't matter whether you feel a Higher power has a hand in it. Throughout time, when the population gets a little to big for its current britches, something comes along and causes a balance.

If global warming is as horrible as some say, there will be extreme food shortages, less desirable places to live, and so on. Of course, if there's a devestating pandemic, balance will be restored.

Not meaning to sound cold. Just the facts.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
kparcell View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 9:56am
kicky

The problem isn't overpopulation. The problem is irresponsible use of resources. 5% of the global population consumes as much as 90% of the goods, which means that there is still plenty to share - if we only would. Instead the number of hoarders grows. The poll says that individually we are mostly concerned for our neighbors and our orphaned children, yet we do little for community prep, mostly because it seems beyond our power, much as sustainable prosperity seems beyond our power. These two goals - community prep and sustainable prosperity - are ultimately the same goal, each requiring a way to work with others producing as much together as we consume individually. Either that or we can devolve back to burrowing. We seem to be at a crossroads.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:18am
Since a flu virus is a equal opportunity killer, I think we need to look at that question from the standpoint of, how good would it be, if you or your loved ones, were the ones who were voted off the island. Then, ask yourself if watching your own child, friend, parent, spouce, die such a horrible death would be a "good" thing.
After many wars, WW2 in particular, there was a huge baby boom, therefore, I think we would quickly replace that which was lost.
God allows things to happen in peoples lives, he does not  like them. As far as evolution goes, the flu virus, seems to kill the most healthy, and leave  the weaker, due to the healthy immune system being what helps to kill people. Therefore, for the humanitarian reasons, and the science, I think it would be terrible.
That question, has actually been posed before.
Maybe it would be better to ask, if there was a bio attack, that killed only a few large cities if that would be "better" for us all. That way, a certain number of people would be killed, it would still be indiscriminate, it would be limited, and yet, we could eliminate a lot of our people. The only unlucky ones would be the ones in the cities that were nuked or hit with some type of poison.
I do not mean that last paragraph to be serious at all, but I do think the question is one that does not even bare discussion, the last paragraph is my attempt to point out how the question even sounds. I am sorry, but if we talked about a mass killing off of animals, people would be angered beyond belief, to suggest that a mass killing of human beings, would in any way be a good thing is bizzare. There is no way, that the uncontrolable suffering and devastation a flu pandemic of this magnitude could ever, be a good or acceptable thing. I hope, I did not sound "mean", I was just trying to make a point.
Wunjo Wagon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wunjo Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 10:49am
The worlds population has doubled in the last 50 years, a 25% die off would take us back to 1978...population wise, not much change.

Joy to the world
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:15am
Mother Nature has always been the Great Equalizer and always will be.  Consider the almost too perfect design of the Spanish Flu and the potential of todays H5N1.  Targets the healthy breeders and future breeders during these events and in a way naturally provides checks and balances to population growth.  To take this line of thinking further is where I start to get scared.  Tamiflu and effective vaccines obviously upset this concept of natural balance and will this only serve to make Ma Nature really mad and then what will we have to face??
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:59am
We've had this discussion many times in the past. The general consensus of expert opinion seemed to be that the maximum sustainable human population was 2 billion.

It is interesting that the same experts claimed that the planet could support huge numbers of people, in the order of 20 billion, provided that we accepted eventual destruction of the planet in a relatively short period of time.

emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 12:28pm
I believe that everything is God's will - not that He is happy with everything that happens, far from it, but that He could stop it if He chose to. And He has infinite wisdom and understanding to know when to intervene and when to let things take their course. This is the only thing that brings me any comfort in the face of suffering and death.

Throughout human history, there have always been periodic massive numbers of human deaths, whether from pandemics, famine, wars, etc. Is this "good" for anybody involved? Of course not. It's a horrendous, hideous nightmare for all those whose lives are affected. But is it a necessary evil? It must be.

Consider this - what happens to a population of deer in the winter if there are too many of them for the particular area they live in to support? They starve. This is how nature maintains stability.

Of course I'm not saying that people are animals, except in a strict scientific sense. But in the eyes of nature, there's no difference between human and animal. That flu that's out there could care less if we are human or not.

b4giving
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 1:58pm
I agree with Cruiser. We as a race are really the worm in the tree of life. We're destroying the seas, the great forests, the rivers, the mountains are being blown apart for roads and mining. We've got absolutely no mercy on any quality of life if it involves the almighty dollar. I've thought for some time that God may have given the Earth a clock and given her the power to kick us out when we get to be a big enough nuisance. I wonder if our time is almost up.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 4:41pm
According to the Georgia Guidestones the world population should
be about 500 million.    They caution that nature is more important
for human survival.

The current world population is about 6.6 billion.   A reduction
of 25% would only bring the population down to about 5 billion.

Still way to high.    To get down to 500 million (half a billion) the
population would have to be reduced by about 90%.

The currernt population of Europe is about 800 million.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop
http://www.internetworldstats.com/europa2.htm
http://www.radioliberty.com/stones.htm

Captivate View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captivate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 5:08pm
We will not live without a functioning ecology that suits the needs we evolved to have.  When some people say "people are more important than animals", that is only true for a particular animal, not all of them.  We have damaged the ecology to a great extent, and in fact it may not be at a point anymore where it will remain functional in a way that allows our existence.  Red tides, loss of amphibians, growth of deadly microbes and dead seas may be downward sprials that won't stop now even of we eliminated the conditions that started them.  Our children (the ones that are left) just might spit on our graves.

The earth will not mind our extinction, it didn't miss the dinosaurs (we will miss the remains they left (oil) once we burn it all up).  Its only important to us, and if we don't act like we care, there ain't nothing else that's going to fix it.  Except maybe a pandemic that kills half of us directly or through associated turmoil.   Who knows, maybe this is the human world saver?
FLA102052 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLA102052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 5:24pm
As to the topic of this thread and the title:  FEWER PEOPLE NOT SO BAD?

I think it would be fair to say that most of the people on this site, would agree, that the only way it would be .  .  .  . "no so bad" -  was if the thread were to be retitled:

FEWER PEOPLE NOT SO BAD? .  .  . (as long as I am not one of the deaths that reduces the population!)

And after a few minutes of additional thought, one would probably want to edit it yet again to read something like:

FEWER PEOPLE NOT SO BAD? .  .  .  (AS LONG AS I, and my loved ones are not one off the deaths that .  .  .  etc, etc)
VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 5:34pm
There is absolutely no way to determine the appropriate human population of earth.  Certainly we can calculate the carrying capacity of an acre of forest and figure the maximum number of rabbits, hawks, etc that can be sustained.  But they live lives that are determined almost entirely by instinct, driven by genetics, and they evolve extremely slowly, so that we can assume a lot of static inputs to the system. 

Humans on the other hand, via teaching/learning/technology can "evolve" at such a great speed that there is no way to predict what the world might look like in a generation or two, for better or worse.  There are very few resources that are being exhausted by humans, and sustainable replacements will almost certainly be found, assuming disaster doesn't intervene first (and I mean like a nuclear holocaust or a pandemic with huge mortality figures, not global warming, pollution or other gradual problems.)  I fail to see why 20 billion  or more could not be a perfectly sustainable population.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 5:35pm
I think a constant population of 2 billion would be just right. Assuming I get to choose the 1,999,999,9999 other people I live with.
quickdraw View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickdraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 6:42pm
I would love to see 25 percent of the world fall off the planet, crips,bloods etc.
Everyday is a good day and if you dont believe that try missing one.
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 6:47pm
World Population in 1820, circa one billion
World Population in 1600, circa half billion

Let's gather round and rub two sticks together. How far back do you guys want to take us? The stone age?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 7:17pm
Back to before we had nuclear bombs to worry about. That would be nice. Wars are one thing - horrible and terrible, but the nuclear aspect of a two-bully fight with a consequence of having the power to literally blow up the world is another. I think our "abilities" as a people have far exceeded our wisdom.
digital View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 4:15am
Originally posted by 4abbie&4maddie 4abbie&4maddie wrote:

Back to before we had nuclear bombs to worry about. That would be nice. Wars are one thing - horrible and terrible, but the nuclear aspect of a two-bully fight with a consequence of having the power to literally blow up the world is another. I think our "abilities" as a people have far exceeded our wisdom.

I think we were doomed the first time a prehistoric man picked up a stick or rock and used it as a tool, the tools have just gotten bigger and more dangerous as time went on. Unfortunately wisdom hasnt kept pace with the development of tools.
I think the coming plagues, pestilence and famines are natures way of dealing with the greatest virus of all, mankind. Nature is very good at maintaining a balance of one kind or another
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 8:23am
I guess it's one way to reduce green house gases.
gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 5:16pm
 dont know?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 5:44pm
This topic has hit me wrong. I have spent the day thinking about this and if we had 100 of 9/11 or 1000 of 9/11. Watching people falling to there deaths, watching people go to their graves with birdflu. Iam sure there is not one mother, father sister, brother, wife, husband,etc. that would not exchange there life to bring there love one's back. Be it gods well or evolution, this is something that I have a heard time dealing with.
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by mach mach wrote:

I guess it's one way to reduce green house gases.

gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 8:32pm
We need good news.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic