Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

I am making a Ghillie Suit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am making a Ghillie Suit
    Posted: January 23 2007 at 5:30pm
It will come in handy WTSHTF

Just Ducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 5:40pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 5:41pm
Watch out for sasquatch! She might get confused and think you are a possible mate.

You could stand in a forest and people could walk right past you and not know you are there with that suit.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 5:41pm

I dont have a postman - I live out in the bush - I collect all my mail from the nearest post office when i come to town
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 5:43pm

We dont have sasquatch in western australia

and having people not know i'm there is the idea

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 6:06pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 6:09pm
    Maybe there are some things you should keep to yourself, Kilt
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 6:11pm
got 1
MissNutty View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissNutty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 6:51pm
That's the wierdest thing I have ever seen!   
Work hard, laugh much, live long.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 6:55pm
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 10:21pm
great suit, good luck, roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 11:10pm
I have been looking into rifles and I am going to look into a handgun. Any suggestions? I have a shotgun. I shot a .270 recently and was actually pretty good for a rookie. 30/30 or .270? I am not sure if I am naming them right but I am sure you know what I mean. Handguns- I know nothing and have never shot one.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 3:18am
    7laws - Consider a 9mm w/a laser sight. Lightweight & most popular for ammunition. Careful!! Pam
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 3:46am
Originally posted by 7laws 7laws wrote:

I have been looking into rifles and I am going to look into a handgun. Any suggestions? I have a shotgun. I shot a .270 recently and was actually pretty good for a rookie. 30/30 or .270? I am not sure if I am naming them right but I am sure you know what I mean. Handguns- I know nothing and have never shot one.

I have been told there are some ranges that will let you try some guns out. I need to get another pistol I have a 9mm, but the brand is not that good. I think I might go with a 9mm Glock or a 40 cal S & W Military and Police. Then again I might go with something else. I would like to try a high power pistol, to feel the difference. I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with, and if you can try them out that would be best.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 4:32am

Kilt that suit works for me...If you were to even stand up in front of me with that suit on, I'd have a heart attack...Dead

My question is...I believe if I'm not mistaken your all alone there...You'd have to leave your home in order for this to work..I'm not sure thats such a good idea.  While your out they could get in...Now your really in trouble.

Good luck and I really do love that suit.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 5:28am
First morning laugh Thumbs up to you.
justducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 6:31am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 9:08am

You wont have to use the riffle. Anyone who sees that suit, will run like heck.

emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 10:17am
      Love the suit!
b4giving
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 10:21am
You will frighten to death...any virus.  :)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 10:33am
Thanks for the suggestions! The rifle will be for hunting if necessary. Hopefully I never have to use it for anything else.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 11:18am
a ghillie sit is something that most of us build on our own as each one is really peculiar to the owner and your ao.  it's a really good project though.

as to the rifle, you might consider a .22lr rifle as a good shtf hunting arm.  not too loud and most game you would want to shoot will be fairly small, as you may not have the resources or storage for deer sized amounts of meat.

9mm isn't a bad manstopper when you consider that all pistols are closer to esch other than to any true rifle cartridge.  a pistol is what you use to fight your way to your rifle.  9mm is also a very common caliber.  I personally stock 9mm, 45 and .40 in my serious handguns.  although i have been considering picking up a 9mm version of my 40 combo of a glock22 and a kt sub rifle in 40 S&W.  the 9mm benefits from the longer barrel of the sub more than the 40 and has a flatter trajectory at longer [relatively] ranges.

one thing you may consider, since you live in the peopl's republic of NJ, is that modern expanding ammunition is outlawed in your state,  so a larger caliber sidearm may be a better stopper with hardball ammo that folks in a more cicilized locale might pick, than the 9mm.  modern ammo designs bring them alot closer in effect than the hardball.

sorry to mix answers to different posters.

pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
justducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 11:41am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 11:54am

I was thinking bigger game justducky. Thanks detpat, wouldn't hurt to grab a .22 while I am shopping. If I remember right they are not that expensive.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by detpat detpat wrote:

a ghillie sit is something that most of us build on our own as each one is really peculiar to the owner and your ao.  it's a really good project though.  as to the rifle, you might consider a .22lr rifle as a good shtf hunting arm.  not too loud and most game you would want to shoot will be fairly small, as you may not have the resources or storage for deer sized amounts of meat.  9mm isn't a bad manstopper when you consider that all pistols are closer to esch other than to any true rifle cartridge.  a pistol is what you use to fight your way to your rifle.  9mm is also a very common caliber.  I personally stock 9mm, 45 and .40 in my serious handguns.  although i have been considering picking up a 9mm version of my 40 combo of a glock22 and a kt sub rifle in 40 S&W.  the 9mm benefits from the longer barrel of the sub more than the 40 and has a flatter trajectory at longer [relatively] ranges.  one thing you may consider, since you live in the peopl's republic of NJ, is that modern expanding ammunition is outlawed in your state,  so a larger caliber sidearm may be a better stopper with hardball ammo that folks in a more cicilized locale might pick, than the 9mm.  modern ammo designs bring them alot closer in effect than the hardball.  sorry to mix answers to different posters.  pat

Very well said Pat.

I would like to add if you are still pick a common caliber for your AO. I stick to military or former military calibers. My stocking rifle calibers are 308 & 7.62x39.
Instead of a 270 I would get a 3006, there is still some surplus ammo available. I would strongly consider the 308.

That said, any rifle is better than no rifle.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 3:48pm
wolfgang, i agree, i would go with .308 myself. i have pretty extensive stocks of .556 and 7.63x39.  i just picked up a mint pk-av and a pso 4x for my ak's.  i have only one 30-06 right now, a really nice rock island 1903.  the ladder sight would be a bitch in a combat environment.  i need to pickup another 308 boltgun, as my last is just a memory.
  pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 4:09pm
Pat, guns and ammo are like jello, there are always room for more.

Great job on the glass.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 4:16pm
you can never have too many guns or guittars
  pat
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 4:35pm

Kilt, could I borrow this suit the next time my in-laws visit?

I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 4:46pm
The best bet is to have many guns and lots of ammo. For handguns I have a 1911 (45 acp), Glock 19 (9mm) a Browning Baby (25 acp). That is a large one, a medium one and a small one. For rifles I have too many to list, but the main ones are a mauser (huntingand sniper), an AR15 (defense) and SKS (in case the AR isn't working), and an old Garand for semiauto and power. I also have a combat shotgun with lots of 00 buckshot for up close and personal. You can never have too many and there are too many to not have on of every kind. Of course, I hope it is all in vane and none of us will ever have to use them.... but they are there in case I do.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 5:55pm
Kilt,

I have a store bought ghillie and a kit.The kit comes with many options. I may use this and I may not. Kilt, whatever it takes to stay a step ahead, this is what we need to do. I have cold weather gear, wet weather gear.
I have night vision. The climate here is very extreme. i doubt if any of the bad guys are prepared. Let them come. Kilt, good luck to you and your family.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 8:26pm
kilt,,,that suit is way cool!!! LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 9:13pm
The first time I saw a Ghillie suit was on the news many years ago when 3 British snipers were after a big cat - a puma - in the UK and there was this grass then these guys stood up and I was amazed.

I have fooled around with them in the past and have 1 like a poncho with tatteres edges and bits of what we call hession - you call burlap - dangling all over it and when I stopped my outline was completely broken.

I thought a full Ghillie would be the go because I may want to reconoitre without being seen at some stage and a Ghillie is good for lying on the side of the road and you look like a clump of grass.

I saw them in action once in Northern Ireland when stopped at a road block. The guy I was with was in the British Army and he pointed out all the squaddies in Ghillies - I was seriously impressed.

A Ghillie is the go for observing - game - livestock - people with out being seen.

Is that you Chelsea?
digital View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 1:08am
They are officially called Yowie suits in Australia. The way I have written that sounds like I am correcting Kilt, but I dont mean it to sound that way.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 10:39pm
digital - yes a Yowie suit is the aussie term but I prefer Ghillie because its known around the world.

The Yowie is the Aussie Sasquatch on the Nulabor Plain.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 12:09pm
OK guys my friend just bought a new handgun and is willing to sell me his Glock 7 for a good price. I know him very well and I am not concerned about the upkeep of it or its history. I figure it is worth it to buy since it will be cheaper than buying new. Figured I would ask what you thought. Comes with 3 clips and a cleaning kit.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 2:03pm
I suggest taking the Glock and shooting it before buying it. I have taught range safety, assisted in CCW classes, worked on weapons for some people in the sherrifs dept, a security team and I have to say, a Glock is not for everyone.
I have shot most everything out there, and I have an intense dislike for Glocks. Buy a pistol because you can use it effectively, not because it looks good in the movies or other people think it's cool.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 3:09pm
  you should always take the opportunity to handle or test fire any weapon you're considering buying.  i have extensive experience in this subject, and sometimes you can handle several identical firearms, knives etc and one particular example will "feel" right.  i don't know why, but it's true.  i have owned a number of glocks over the years and i have also passed on several because they just didn't feel right to me.  so check it out in as much detail as you can.  if it doesn't feel right to you just pass, there always good deals on glocks floating around.  if you were experienced in this area i might suggest buying it anyway and turning it around in another deal, but i just love to trade and deal.

this sort of thing applies to most anything. if there's more than one of it, i always insist on handling all of them.  maybe a pain in the ass but it works for me.     

pat
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 3:12pm
BTW, what capacity are the mags?  what price is the package, if you don't mind saying. some deals are better than others.

i'm assuming that this is a glock 17, full size service pistol in 9mm?

pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 7:41pm
7Laws, I agree with mountainwinds and Detpat. You should handle and shoot the pistol first. We are all different. One mans treasure is another mans junk.

That said, I must say I'm a BIG Glock fan!!! I believe (IMHO) they are one of the most reliable pistols on the market.

Now I didn't wake up one morning and decided that I like Glocks. Nor did I like them from the beginning. My first Glock wasn't love at first sight. I soon found out that it is a muscle memory thing. I was use to a different style pistol. The slab side grips of a Glock is the largest contributor of this feeling. The more I shot it, the more I liked it. The more I like it, the more I shot it. Now ALL my wife and I defense pistols are Glocks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 9:30pm
Kilt....have you got that suit made?  Have someone take a photo of you...
tigger2 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 5:57pm
Depat,

I agree. A good feel is most important. If it feels good, you can learn to shoot it.

Depat,

The Atlanta police department has a serious problem. Most of the officers use S&W .40. The weapons are getting cracks in the recievers. The S&W
company supposedly said that the springs should have been changed every now and then to prevent this problem. Have you ever heard of this?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 7:01pm
Tigger, The 40 S&W round is a high pressure round. It's a good round. The problem a rises because this high pressure round in placed in a 9mm frame pistol. Most manufactures compensated for this in their designs. Glock added a extra pin to the recoil block.

I carried a S&W 4046 for a couple years. Other that the lawyer proof double action only trigger we really didn't have a problem.

You didn't mention what S&W model Alanta was carrying.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 4:41pm

Wolf,

It was on the local news a couple weeks ago. They did not mention the model.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 10:02pm
i'm not familiar with that one, do you know any more info?  what model pistol is it?  are they smith's or just in 40S&W cal?
  pat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic