Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Winter Storm Watch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Storm Watch
    Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:04pm

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
333 PM EST SAT FEB 24 2007

...STORM SYSTEM TO AFFECT THE AREA WITH WINTER WEATHER SUNDAY
EVENING THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

.A STORM SYSTEM IN THE CENTRAL PLAINS SATURDAY AFTERNOON WILL MOVE
INTO THE NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI VALLEY DURING SUNDAY. DURING SUNDAY
EVENING ANOTHER LOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OFF THE DELMARVA AND
TRACK SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING. THE
COMPLEX STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING WINTRY WEATHER TO THE
AREA BY SUNDAY EVENING.

NJZ002>006-011-NYZ072>076-251000-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0002.070226T0000Z-070226T1200Z/
WESTERN PASSAIC-BERGEN-EASTERN PASSAIC-ESSEX-HUDSON-UNION-
NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-
KINGS (BROOKLYN)-QUEENS-
333 PM EST SAT FEB 24 2007

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING.

LIGHT SNOW COULD BEGIN ACROSS NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY AND NEW YORK
CITY AS EARLY AS LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON. HOWEVER THE STEADIER SNOW
WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA EARLY SUNDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE INTO
MONDAY MORNING. THE PRECIPITATION WILL BE PREDOMINATELY
SNOW...WITH SLEET POSSIBLY MIXED IN SUNDAY NIGHT. BY THE TIME THE
PRECIPITATION ENDS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS COULD TOTAL 4 TO
7 INCHES.

THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE TRACK OF THE STORM.
THIS WILL HAVE AN IMPACT AS TO THE TYPE OF PRECIPITATION AND HOW
MUCH FALLS ACROSS THE REGION. A TRACK FURTHER SOUTH WILL BRING ALL
SNOW TO THE AREA...HOWEVER WITH LESSER AMOUNTS.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA ALL HAZARDS WEATHER RADIO OR VISIT OUR WEB
SITE AT WEATHER.GOV/NYC FOR FURTHER DETAILS AND UPDATES.

$$
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:07pm
(State College, PA) - The massive late-winter storm that brought severe storms to the southern Plains and a paralyzing blizzard to the High Plains Saturday will begin to lose strength as it moves into the Northeast on Sunday. However, the storm will still pack a big enough punch to cause problems through Monday.

As the storm shifts to the Northeast, it will lose its connection to the southerly flow of Gulf moisture that has fueled today's severe weather and blizzard conditions.

As reported in the East Regional News story, the combination of the arrival of the precipitation in the storm, a developing low pressure center off the mid-Atlantic coast and cold air wedged against the Appalachian Mountains on Sunday will create a nasty mix of winter weather over much of the East, including the Interstate 95 corridor from New York City to Washington, D.C..

Despite the loss of power, the system will spread a band of 3 to 6 inches of snow from Wisconsin across Michigan and southern Ontario into northern Pennsylvania, western and central New York and southern New England.

The snow and an icy mix of precipitation along the southern edge of the system will likely create travel headaches on Sunday and Monday.

The coastal low will not intensify into a Nor'easter as it skirts the coast of southern New England, including Boston; however, light snow accumulating Sunday night into Monday could cause some problems during Monday morning's commute along the I-95 corridor.

As the storm rolled out of the Rockies overnight, it sparked an outbreak of severe weather across the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma and southwestern Kansas. At least four tornadoes were reported in that area; however, there have been no reports of injuries or serious damage.

As the South Regional News story reports, the severe weather threat will continue to shift to the east through tonight into Sunday. The strongest thunderstorms will produce dangerous tornadoes, damaging winds, large hail and torrential downpours. Several tornadoes were reported in Arkansas as of the late afternoon hours Saturday, including one near North Crossett in Ashley County

Residents are urged to pay close attention to weather alerts and tornado sirens, especially during the overnight hours.

The Severe Weather Center lists all of the storm-related watches and warnings that cover most of the country east of the Rockies.

The northern side of this powerful storm has produced the third major blizzard to slam the Plains in the past two months. Highway travel east of the Front Range of the Rockies was impossible Saturday. Fox News Channel reported in the morning a whiteout on Interstate 70 east of Denver led to a chain-reaction collision involving as many as 35 vehicles.
The blizzard created whiteout conditions that closed most highways from eastern Colorado to Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa. Travel on those highways that remain open is being strongly discouraged by state transportation officials and police.

Strong winds wrapping around behind the storm reached hurricane strength.
  • La Garita, Colo.: 83 mph
  • Cheyenne Wells Colo.: 75 mph
  • Ft. Morgan, Colo.: 64 mph
  • Leoti, Kan.: 62 mph
  • Sedillo, N.M.: 59 mph
The Midwest Regional News story reports sandwiched between the snow to the north and the severe weather to the south is a mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain that is causing hazardous driving conditions. The rain and ice jams along some rivers was causing flooding that has closed highways in Nebraska.

Top Weather News Recent Stories
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:08pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:10pm
35 Cars Collide in Colorado Whiteout

Feb 24 4:01 PM US/Eastern

By CHASE SQUIRES
Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) -- A large, fast-moving snowstorm closed sections of major highways on the Plains on Saturday and threatened to dump more than a foot of snow on the Upper Midwest.

Interstate 70, a major cross-country route, was closed for about 200 miles in both directions from just east of Denver to Colby, Kan., because of blowing snow and slippery pavement, according to Colorado and Kansas highway officials.

Between Denver and the beginning of the highway closure, about 35 cars collided in a pileup in whiteout conditions Saturday morning on an icy section of I-70. No major injuries were reported.

The weather service reported wind gusts of 68 mph in the Denver area.

A number of other highways also were closed in the two states.

"Basically there's zero visibility at this time," Kansas Department of Transportation spokeswoman Barb Blue said just before noon.

A stretch of about 60 miles of I-80 was closed in both directions in western Nebraska, from Sidney to the Wyoming line, as snow was driven by wind gusting to 52 mph. Westbound traffic was barred from more than 270 miles of I-80, from North Platte to the Wyoming line, more than half the length of the state.

Farther east in Nebraska, a 30-mile stretch of U.S. 275 was closed by flooding.

There was no power in parts of North Platte, Neb., where "the snow is so wet it's sticking to power poles and power lines," said Bill Taylor of the National Weather Service office in North Platte.

In addition to the snow on the western Plains, the vast storm system spread rain and thunderstorms across parts of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri, with locally heavy snow across Iowa and southern Minnesota.

The weather service posted blizzard and winter storm warnings for parts of Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, northern Illinois and Wisconsin.

Up to 16 inches of snow was possible by late Sunday in Minnesota, which would be the state's biggest snowfall so far in an unusually dry winter, the weather service said. The state's southeast corner already had a foot of snow Saturday morning.

Flights continued operating Saturday at Denver International Airport, where thousands of travelers were stalled by a 45-hour shutdown during a pre-Christmas blizzard. The airport was on the western edge of the area of heavy snow and had only about an inch by late morning, spokesman Chuck Cannon said.

Elsewhere, however, airlines canceled 230 arrivals and departures at Chicago's O'Hare International and 40 at Midway in anticipation of snow, sleet and freezing rain, said Wendy Abrams, Chicago's aviation department spokeswoman. United Airlines planned to cancel all flights at O'Hare after 7 p.m., said spokeswoman Robin Urbanski.

Four traffic deaths had been blamed on the storm in Wisconsin.

___

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 8:29pm
They said we're supposed to get an inch of ice tonight and possible 1-3 inches of sleet! It'll be a good reason to sleep in tomorrow! Assuming we have power...
Alice View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 8:56pm
We are having a mild winter here in Ireland.

Diode View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 9:05pm
Alice,  you changed your post. 

You first suggested that the nasty wheather in the states was due to
our unethetical wars.

What happened ????
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 9:24pm
I guess the groundhog was right this year.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 9:42pm
all we need is another 6 inches... :)
Alice View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Diode Diode wrote:

Alice,  you changed your post.  You first suggested that the nasty wheather in the states was due toour unethetical wars.What happened ????

I decided to keep a civil tongue...for now
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 12:43pm
News said, that seven folks have died already from this storm. My prayers are with all of our friends in this storms path. Post and let us know, you are OK, if you can.
tigger2 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 1:42pm
    I am having trouble typing. I think my finger is broke. I was playing with the dog and it got pretty mean.

wolf I am ok, good to hear from you.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 4:51pm
I hope everyone in this path of bad weather is able to stay safe. We are having beautiful weather here in OK, sunshine in the 60's today and all this week to come and we are not even getting below freezing any night this week! Yay!
wolfgang2000 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by tigger2 tigger2 wrote:

I am having trouble typing. I think my finger is broke. I was playing with the dog and it got pretty mean.

wolf I am ok, good to hear from you.

Dude, it looks like if you didn't have bad luck you wuoldn't have luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 9:26pm
    I go back to the cardiologist in the morning.I hope he will release me. I got to go back to work. It is so boring that I have been thinking about raking leaves. That is right up there with watching paint dry.
Diode View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 10:21pm
" decided to keep a civil tongue...for now "

Nah,  you just decided that Allah isn't  really causing all this bad
weather for spite.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 7:37pm

only a few inches fell here...most of it was deposited farther north than the map shows.  Feul bill is lovely to look at this year.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic