Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What mistakes have you made prepping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What mistakes have you made prepping?
    Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:10am
Do's and Don't to preparing?

We've discussed a lot of topics I'm now at a 1 year mark of prepping.  I made a couple of mistakes.  I've also done things right. 

Please tell your top must do's, and don'ts.  Lets help the newer members get it right the first time. 

flowerchild View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:14am
1. Try everything first.  There is nothing worse than having ten of something you or your family hate and will never eat.
2. Check expiration dates.  Everything I buy is used and rotated, but I still grab the one with the longest expiration date just in case.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:32am
1st mistake I made was thinking I would wait until I was sure that the avain flu would go H2H, to buy Power eggs, Powered milk, Freeze dried products.  These item last a long time and if I have bought a small amount instead of waiting to buy a lot I would have a nice stock of these items right now.

2nd:  I bought powered milk that last on 6 month to 1 year.  I should have bought the milk that last for 5 years. I'm now using my powered milk in my cooking.  

3rd.  I lost track of expiration dates.  I have an excel file with all of this but didn't pay attention.   I have to say the items that have expired 6 month ago are still good but that food should have been rotated.

4th: I didn't freeze my flour, rice or beans at first...They were in there original packages for 8 months.  This is not good at all.  The rice I did put in buckets didn't have oxygen absorbers.   They should have...

5th:  Sometime I was lazy and just put the food I bought away in my kitchen.    I should have put the food downstairs, place them in the back of the food thats already there.  The food that is in the front should now be taken upstairs to be eaten next.

Ex:  5 ketchups downstairs.
Take the new ketchup and place it in the back of the ketchups already down there and take from the front.

This guarantee fresh food...

6th and biggest mistake was, I didn't replace the food I used.  Slowly but surely I would go to my store in the basement, and take what I needed...This is the way I rotated my food...However if you don't make a list, and replace that exact food you took from your preps, your supply will go to half...This is counter productive..

Replace the food you have taken...Make that list...Put it on the Re fridge so everyone can just jot down what they've taken.  Next trip replace it.

Those are my don'ts to prepping.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:52am
My do's to prepping...

1.  The best thing I did was listen and learn everything I could.  I read almost every post  on this forum.  It took a while to read every page but thats how I learned so fast...

2. I asked questions...Member here love to help the way they were helped..  So ask questions...Lots of questions.  They don't care if that subject has been covered...ASk again.

3.  I have a Notebook with printed out information.  Your memory is great today but in a panic will it be?  I printed out things like:
     What do to when a doctor is out...
     Home remedies. 
     How to protect your home.
     How to cook with just canned foods ..I have a lot of recipes
     100 preparation list...Was most important
     How to make bread
     How to can butter.
     Recipe to convert certain food to make others.

Ex:  Powdered milk can make
Whole milk, Evaporated milk, condensed milk, butter milk,..the post gave you the recipe how to make these item.
    Ex:  How to keep eggs fresh. 

You might not have power to get into your computer. So print print print.

4.  I'm learning now instead of last minute panic.  How to make bread..How to can meats...How much lamp fuel I'll go thru in a night.   Teaching the kids to cook in-case I get sick.  Learning to grow veggies in the house in the winter.  The cherry tomato's will be ready in two weeks.  Yummy.

cathypeanut View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathypeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 6:47am
expiration dates are the worst. last year, or maybe more than a year ago I cought some dayquil.  went to get it today and it expired in february.  I found vitamins that expired in 06. 

when i shop i look for the longest exp. date but it seems to creep up on you
I used to have more posts :-(
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 7:37am

Keep an inventory for one month of everything you use and eat. This will teach you how much toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels, tuna, canned goods, etc your family uses in a month or year when you're not sick!

When you open an item, date it. How long did it take to consume? Now you know how many toothpaste, brushes, hair spray, deodorants, shaving creams, etc needed for a month or year.

Plan on a year’s supply. Buy one to use, buy two to store, if you can’t buy 12 at once. Be sure to start buying the expectorants, medical needs, fiber, etc. now. Some items are behind the counter and can only be purchased every so many weeks. Buy now.

Children’s swimming pools seem to be great water resources for city folks. We have extra cow troughs near the well. When the power goes out, we have to have fuel to run the generator to pump the well. Plan on a minimum of a gallon a day. Learn where water resources are nearby. How can you transport water? Put on your thinking cap.

Discover how much cash you use monthly. Have many times that amount hidden at home for an emergency. In a pandemic credit/debit cards and checks may not be accepted. You need cash stored at home. Banks, if open, may have restricted hours, restricted fund removal and long lines of sick people.

Organize your home, cupboards, storage where anyone can find the extra toothpaste, soap, soup, Kleenex, etc. Update and expand your First Aide Kit. Have a first aid book. Be sure to have your pet’s papers, tags, leashes and cages (you need a way to contain your animal in case of evacuation). Start investing now for any emergency.

Clean out the garage. Build shelves, organize your tools, do you have a complete change of oil, filters, extra chain saw blades, fuel cans, etc. Do you have an oil lamp and oil for lighting? We found our sidewalk solar lights really light the house up inside during storm power outages.

Have an “emergency folder” with copies of your home insurance, car insurance, lists of bank accounts, addresses, contact numbers, an old utility bill to verify residence, prescriptions, dosages, photos of all family members and pets. Have an out-of-state contact in case all of you are separated. Remember cell phones may not work. Be sure to have a telephone with NO answering machine hard-connected dial up to use during power outages.

We all have a “bug-out-bag” in case of evacuation with three days food, clothes, walking shoes, personal products, and sleeping bag attached. Don’t forget the emergency folder.

Hope this helps. Annie

Leanne View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 7:45am
 I bought crackers and cookies that we dont normaslly eat and had to throw them out as they were expired and tasted stale. .
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 9:06am
I bought cereal and it's still on the self, expired and in the box. I need to take it down. I should have vac packed it or put it in jars with oxygen absorbers. I don't believe most of the expiration dates. The canned food may not taste as good, but it won't go bad.
Good things I've done:
Buying lots of freeze dried food for long storage life,case of canned butter, buying up long johns, glass jars and good blankets at Good Will. Also starting a written print out of good lists and articles. Making bread again from scratch to keep in practice. Buying candles and fuel cell cans from the dollar store.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 10:16am
Don't buy scented candles for lighting....Some person  here said that when they had a power outage they lit quite a few candles and all the different smell where to much...

So he said buy only Unscented candles...I thought that was a great tip. 

Thank you Annie...Great information.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 1:07pm
My wife bought a solar cooker. We still need a water solution. Poor prioritization I guess.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 1:22pm
I purchased cases of canned vegetables like green beans and peas. Normally do not eat that stuff, so now it sits with an upcoming expiration date and no one really wants to eat it. Bad Prepper! D
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
stockmama View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stockmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 3:24pm
I found this on a food safety website...could this be right? I hope so!!

A. Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° Fahrenheit and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, it is edible. Rust or dents do not affect the contents of the can as long as the can does not leak. If the can is leaking, however, or if the ends are bulged, the food should not be used.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:24pm
we made several mistakes...I see some of them here... feeling right at home.  like peas and scented candles....
some of the others are... drinking our water up, we didn't replace it because it was cold etc to go and get more.  Also too much of the preps need intensive labor, cooking time.  About a 3 months supply of Nutter Butter cookies has been voted in.  Too much oatmeal...we woud love to share it.  I've had nightmares of Strega Nona's pot overflowing the neighborhood.  need more protien.  I was not careful enough about expiration dates.  Many crackers have to be tossed. 

I did do well on fruits.
all types, canned and dried....as well as H. Hold supplies.
Jane View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:39pm
 Therese
cereals are good for muffins and cookies
that what i do with them when they are about to expire
Jane View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:55pm
Do try to live
 with your preps for a month without any shopping
and see how you do and what you need most, learn from mistakes
(if you  shop  buy only preps but don't use them  just store them)

now we shop just 1 monthly, or every other month
trying to shop every 3 month
we are buynig everything in bulk it is much cheeper
we just  bought 60 eggs expiry Apr.15
milk, butter, bread  you can put in the freezer,
once montly we go to the bakery (used to go 3-5 times a week)
 oranges, apples, cabage, carrots, potatoes ,
garlic, oinon,etc we buy in bulk for 3-6 month
it is a livestyle for us

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:01pm
Im still looking into things. For example butter and margarine can be frozen. In some cases in the original packaging for up to a year. Some cheeses can also be frozen.

We need more storage space and freezer space. Need to make a list of all supplies and expirations. Many of those cans are good well beyond the date listed on the cans.
Judy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:10pm
I think I bought too many items that need water added and I am now trying to correct that by buying foods that will need very little or none.
If ignorance is bliss, what is chocolate?

Wunjo Wagon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wunjo Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 8:10pm
You all have to realize that expiration dates please the processor, not the consumer. I've been prepping for over 25 years and have had very little food go bad, yes I date everything when I buy it, and try to buy what I eat, and eat what I buy...BUT in my experience, (which is vast) if you freeze grains before storing, they will keep.  Canned foods which are not exposed to extreme temps will keep.  I am still using a few items which were purchased in 1998 for the Y2K thing which are perfectly good!  Please don't be throwing away perfectly good preps!

Joy to the world!   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 8:56pm
true... we tasted them first...the saltines were awful... gone.
Do try to live
 with your preps for a month without any shopping

I confess we did try it for 5 days ....and ran screaming to the market.

It has to be real, to go the distance i guess.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 2:36am
I bought scented tealights but that was because they were such a bargain and that is the only scent that I got so it should not be too bad. I only started prepping about six weeks ago so the stuff should be o.k. for a while.

If you have cans of soup you can cook pasta or rice in the soup if you get desperate.
Daughters think it is "really sweet" of me to be prepping like mad and just about stop short of patting me on the head!

If they say its the "time of life" then I am going to sulk like mad!!!

Do you get the feeling they do not take this seriously?
None of them have ever lived through shortages of anything and they have no real idea of how serious real flu can be. They are highly intelligent and well educated but do not have the "real life" experience yet so it does not really impact on them.
Westy1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:26am
Our biggest mistake was buying a couple dozen cans of Spam.  Ick!!!!!!!  I guess in an emergency we will like it a whole lot more.

Anyone here want a good deal on some Spam?  Anyone?  Anyone??

B
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:45am
Originally posted by stockmama stockmama wrote:

A. Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing...... In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° Fahrenheit and below).

Thank you SO MUCH for your post. Maybe I can keep my cases of veggies that will expire this year for a longer time. I was beating myself up for breaking rule #1 of prepping, buy what you eat. AT least I may be able to salvage my mistake. Many thanx, D
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 2:45pm
Hey Westy1, I grew up poor and spam was a regular item on the menu. If you have to use it, you will get used to it. Fry it, that's the best way and serve it with potatoes if possible. In the event of a pandemic I think a lot of "ugly" food will be pretty good looking!
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wunjo Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 3:41pm
Wouldn't you know it! Somebody always has to knock Spam...It is credited with helping to win WW II.  I grew up with it and my mother used to do the glaze think with the pineapples and cloves, yummy!!!  My children were raised on it and still come over and "borrow" some out of my stores now and then, now the grandchildren are hooked. 

It is cooked in the can, so you don't have to fry it, it does taste just fine right of the can.  It can be used in hundreds of recipes and it is good/cheap protein that lasts for years in storage.

And yes I always keep over 100 cans in stock. Spam is no mistake, it's the sacred meat...

Joy to the World!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Wunjo Wagon Wunjo Wagon wrote:

Wouldn't you know it! Somebody always has to knock Spam...It is credited with helping to win WW II.  I grew up with it and my mother used to do the glaze think with the pineapples and cloves, yummy!!!  My children were raised on it and still come over and "borrow" some out of my stores now and then, now the grandchildren are hooked. 

It is cooked in the can, so you don't have to fry it, it does taste just fine right of the can.  It can be used in hundreds of recipes and it is good/cheap protein that lasts for years in storage.

And yes I always keep over 100 cans in stock. Spam is no mistake, it's the sacred meat...

Joy to the World!

LOL...He he he .....I knew someone would come back with this exact statement...

Someone always comes back with recipe Idea and how spam saves World war II..  Thank you for the laugh.

Our family uses it as a breakfast meat...I myself won't  eat it unless it's cut really thin and burn just a little to give it some crunch.   Yummy. 

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wunjo Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:28pm
Good for you Happy! Spam is easier to prepare and tastes better than looters...

Joy to the World!
wolfgang2000 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:38pm
I like SPAM. It's great fried on a egg sandwich.

Westy, If you lived close to MO., I would make you a offer.     
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:00pm
Stocking for the Y2K scare and getting burned when nothing happened!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:03pm

Fry some spam and then place in on a hotdog bun with mustard. I call it a spam dog! Its a glorified hot dog but actually has flavor.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:46am
Originally posted by BoJingles BoJingles wrote:

Stocking for the Y2K scare and getting burned when nothing happened!

BoJingles...

Stocking up for something that didn't happen WASN'T a mistake. Think of it as a "trial run".

What did you learn? What things did you try that you hadn't, before? What did you take from that experience that has gotten you to *today*?

Even if the ONLY thing it taught you was not to tell others about your preps, that *one* thing could be what helps you in a REAL emergency.

And we all know you learned much more than that.

Knowledge and experience is never wasted.

Excellent posts...

Try learning to make your own crackers. It isn't difficult. (And if you can make bread, crackers aren't all that necessary, anyway.)

Cathy
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 5:53am
    SPAM HIstory
Interesting I did not know SPAM served during the war....

SPAM Family of Products History

SPAM CLASSIC STANDS THE TEST OF TIME
World-famous product is Americana at its best

AUSTIN, MINN. - No single product in human history is better known for its heroics during wartime, its accomplishments during peacetime and its popularity during mealtime than SPAM Classic. After more than six decades in the marketplace, SPAM is still the unique, high-quality kitchen staple the world has come to know and love.

SPAM is Born
Hormel Foods first produced SPAM luncheon meat in 1937 in Austin, Minn. One of the first moderately priced, convenient and great-tasting food products on the market, SPAM became America's favorite luncheon meat almost immediately. By 1941, 40 million pounds of SPAM had been sold, and with America's entry into World War II, SPAM was called to action overseas.

With Allied forces fighting to liberate Europe, Hormel Foods provided 15 million cans of luncheon meat to troops each week. SPAM became an essential item in soldiers' diets, earning praise for feeding starving British and Soviet troops and civilians. Following the war, world leaders including Dwight Eisenhower, Margaret Thatcher and Nikita Khrushchev all credited SPAM for its role in the Allies' victory.

Back in the United States, radio stations began airing the first-ever singing commercials in support of SPAM luncheon meat in 1941. George Burns and Gracie Allen also advertised SPAM while entertaining millions on their weekly radio program. In 1945, an entertainment troupe called the Hormel Girls toured cities across America to generate awareness for SPAM and other Hormel products.

After the war, SPAM continued making its mark around the world when Hormel Foods began distributing the already famous luncheon meat to international markets. Locations in Denmark, the Philippines, Japan and South Korea all began producing SPAM and today, SPAM is distributed in 41 countries and trademarked in more than 100 countries on six continents.

Billions and Billions Served
By the late 1950s, SPAM began achieving a series of milestones that continue to prove its popularity today. The one billionth can of SPAM was produced in 1959, and just 11 years later came the two billionth. Product innovations and a strong international presence played an important role in the production of SPAM luncheon meat's third, fourth and fifth billionth cans, which occurred in 1980, 1986 and 1994, respectively.

Through more than six decades, SPAM has remained a contemporary product by consistently providing what consumers want - versatility, high quality and good taste. In 1962, the original 12-ounce SPAM can was joined by a seven-ounce can for the convenience it provided small families and single people. Almost 10 years later, Hormel Foods developed SPAM smoke flavored to lend a delicious, outdoor flavor to already great-tasting SPAM classic. In 1986, SPAM less sodium entered the market for consumers concerned with sodium intake. SPAM lite was introduced in 1992, allowing SPAM devotees to enjoy the great taste of SPAM with reduced fat and sodium. And in 1999, Hormel Foods introduced SPAM oven roasted turkey. Featuring 100 percent white, lean turkey, it meets consumers' increased interest in foods that are light, nutritious, low fat and great tasting. Recently, Hormel Foods spiced things up by introducing SPAM hot and spicy featuring Tabasco® brand pepper sauce, to Southern and Southeastern U.S. supermarkets. Most recently, two limited-time-only seasonal flavors were introduced--SPAM with cheese and SPAM bbq flavored.

Celebrating SPAM
Worldwide, people enjoy celebrating SPAM as much as they enjoy eating it. In 1991, annual SPAM recipe contests were established to give cooks a chance to display their best SPAM creations at dozens of state and local fairs nationwide. Many new SPAM delicacies are prepared for the contest, including the 2002 national contest-winning recipe for SPAM and Jam Layered Sandwich and the 2003 national contest-winning recipe for Curried SPAM and Rice.

In 1998, SPAM luncheon meat caught the public eye again during many highly publicized events. SPAM officially went online with a new Web site at www.spam.com, and the Smithsonian Institute accepted the original and new SPAM packaging into its historical archives. "The Official SPAM Fan Club" also opened its doors and has inducted more than 9,000 members since its inception.

From May to December 2000, Minnesotans were given up to 25,000 more ways to love SPAM when the Minnesota State Lottery introduced a new $2 SPAM scratch-off lottery ticket. Each ticket featured a can of SPAM with the world-famous SPAMBURGER hamburger on the front. Cash prizes ranged from $2 to $25,000, with more than 170,000 prizes of $10 and higher.

In September 2001, the 16,500 square foot SPAM Museum opened in Austin, Minn celebrating the image, history and long-standing tradition of the world's favorite luncheon meat. The museum offers die-hard fans and the casually curious a wide variety of interactive SPAM exhibits and intriguing visual displays. Visitors can observe the World War II display depicting the role SPAM played in the war, test their knowledge in the SPA Exam, enjoy past and present SPAM advertisements and participate in a simulated SPAM production line.

Each year, more than 20,000 SPAM fans are welcomed to Austin, Minn. to pay tribute to their favorite luncheon meat at SPAM Jam, the only Hormel Foods-sanctioned celebration to honor the world famous meat in blue and yellow cans. For SPAM enthusiasts wishing to show their loyalty at home, work or play, a catalog offers SPAM branded merchandise. Fans can purchase everything from SPAM pens and pencils to SPAM umbrellas and SPAM boxer shorts.

"When SPAM was introduced in 1937, people immediately loved it," said Julie Craven,director of public relations, Hormel Foods. "From its continued popularity, it's apparent that America's love for SPAM has only grown stronger throughout the years."
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Evergreen Evergreen wrote:

I purchased cases of canned vegetables like green beans and peas. Normally do not eat that stuff, so now it sits with an upcoming expiration date and no one really wants to eat it. Bad Prepper! D

Maybe you could purchase freeze dried foods that store for up to 30 years. Then you just buy what you normaly eat but have back up in case of emergency.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 7:34am
Just like some of you have said, my mistakes have been buying without trying it first - I've bought some real stinkers. And not taking time to store properly, getting sloppy with the basement (I don't even want to go down there now!)
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 8:23am

I think my worst mistake is not replacing things as soon as I use it, over the past year and a half I have purchase about 50 packs of batteries and have used all the AA, I just kept thinking "oh I have a ton of these" but now I don't. Same thing with cream of mushroom soup, I had 2 cases, now I am out.  As far as buying it and not trying it, I didn't do too much of that, I even bought a couple of things like Spam that I know I don't like, but as long as someone in the family (DH) will eat it then it won't go to waste. Plus I figured those type things will be the "desperation" food and we will eat it if there is nothing else, it will just not be the the first items on the menu, LOL.

Dijoy View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 12:28pm
It gives me hives! I expect its the additives
Diane
Diane
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 12:32pm
Forget the additives, it's probably the pig snout!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:25pm
I'll take all the SPAM any one what to give me!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 4:37pm
    I have some canned food stored in the basement. I have rats. I mean rats not mice. They have slowly but surely ate the labels off some of the cans. I have no idea what is in those cans. My pest man puts poison out on a regular basis. They must eat it. I have been thinking declaring war on them. You turn the lights down low. Get a paint can to sit on and wait. Have your pellet rifle or pistol ready.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by tigger2 tigger2 wrote:

I have some canned food stored in the basement. I have rats. I mean rats not mice. They have slowly but surely ate the labels off some of the cans. I have no idea what is in those cans. My pest man puts poison out on a regular basis. They must eat it. I have been thinking declaring war on them. You turn the lights down low. Get a paint can to sit on and wait. Have your pellet rifle or pistol ready.

I hear rat taste just like chicken...Go get em.....Clap  It will be good target practice...Just be care not to shoot holes in your preps. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 7:40pm
You two are a trip. Well, tigger, let us know how it goes as I've got the same problem you do, but with me it's just mice (not the big 'uns.) As we live in a very wooded area, it's not a surprise, and like you, our pest man is tired of my calls to come and rid my castle of these annoying critters.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 9:13pm
    When I was a little boy. Money was a rare thing. We bought the basics, flour, sugar, cornmeal, salt and pepper. We planted most of our veggies. If you ate meat,
it was probably squirrel or rabbit. Fish was also on the menu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 9:30pm
Tigger the pellet rifle thing sounds like fun. But if you want to get rid of them first find out how they are getting in. After that problem is solved, get some old style traps, and bait them with peanut butter.

You could get you a couple of good mousers. (Cats) But don't think they know how to mouse naturally. I had to train mine. But since them they are great.

HEY I got it! This is a great excuse to get night vision. Turn the mouse hunt high tech!     
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 4:06am
    Yes, Thanks. Why did I not think of that. Do you feel lucky, rats? Did I pump it 1 time or 15 times? lol.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 8:47am

I hear rat taste just like chicken...Go get em.....Clap  It will be good target practice...Just be care not to shoot holes in your preps. 
[/QUOTE]

Ew.
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 9:46am
Rat Burgers...Yummy....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic