Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Which N95???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wraith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which N95???
    Posted: February 12 2006 at 2:27pm
What do the different numbers of N95 masks mean? i.e. 9211, 8511, 7048, etc... and is it recommended to get the ones with the exhalation valve or not? Everytime I go to buy some I back off because I don't want to get the wrong kind. Thanks, Dennis
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Voltaire

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action"
Einstein
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 3:14pm

HI Wraith,

We have some good info on masks here:

http://www.superflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=978&PN=1

Let us know if you still have questions. 

I know, it's a very confusing issue and I was totally confused by all the choices too.

BTW: I chose the exhalation valve for comfort.

Flubird View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 3:27pm
I love the exhalation valves too, makes breathing much easier imo, and reduces dampness from breath condensate in various weather conditions.   Some new valves are nicely slightly pressure fit to to maintain the seal too.  I wear one while cleaning the house to reduce dust inhalation and its nice easy breathing.
Wraith View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wraith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 4:59pm
Thanks for the link, I passed right by that one when searching somehow.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Voltaire

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action"
Einstein
Hope View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 7:44pm
Can someone suggest how many masks they got?  I just need a rough idea of what I might buy for a family of four.  I got 10.  Cost like $60 or $70 for 10.  They are individually sealed.  Suppose to be better than the N95 type.  Should I get a bunch of lesser expensive ones and stock up?  Are others doing that?
Hope
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 8:04pm

Hope, I got a gross of 3M 95 masks and 2 boxes of 50 each procedure masks.  I am close to ordering several more boxes of procedure masks, just because I don't think 100 will be enough.  The quantity depends on how often you or a family member will be exposed to the outside world, what I call "Outlanders".  If rarely, then masks will not be a major necessity.

While N95 or better are what's recommended, who among us can afford a year's supply for our family.  My rational.... some protection, however flawed will be better than no protection.  YMMV

BTW: If you choose to order more masks, you might want to consider shopping around, that sounds a bit high unless they are P100's IIRC.

SZ

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 10:27pm
Sz Why would you think it necessary to have P100 masks that are oil resistant?  Also, I found it very surprizing on how short a time frame these masks are effective for from the info on the cdc/niosh website.  Only 60 minutes. That puts a whole new meaning on disposable I think if you're wearing them to go out in public.
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:35pm

Interim Domestic Guidance on the Use of Respirators to Prevent
Transmission of SARS
May 3, 2005

Respiratory protective devices with a filter efficiency of 95% or greater
(e.g., N95, N99, N100) may not be available in some settings due to
supply shortages or other factors.

In this situation, a surgical (procedure) mask should be worn. Surgical
masks will provide barrier protection against large droplets that are
considered to be the primary route of SARS transmission. However,
surgical masks may not adequately protect against aerosol or airborne
particles, primarily because they allow for leakage around the mask and
cannot be fit tested. The mask should resist fluid penetration and fit
tightly around the mouth and nose when properly applied to the face.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/respirators.htm

---

3M™ Healthcare Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask, N95

3M™ 1860 Health Care N95 Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask.
NIOSH approved as a Type N95 respirator. It meets CDC guidelines for TB
exposure control and is designed specifically for use in a health care
setting. Recommended by health care officials as precautionary measure
against the "bird flu" and SARS.

It has a soft inner shell for greater comfort against the face and, because
it's fluid resistant, it aids in reducing the potential exposure of the wearer
to blood and other fluids.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/safety/occ_health_s afety/
node_ZMLB8ZJMHQbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_5SDD44F7DZge/
gvel_4Z5N8LTP0Bgl/theme_us_ohes_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/
output_html

Bush's risky flu pandemic plan
By George J. Annas  |  October 8, 2005

On Tuesday, the president suggested that the United States should
confront the risk of a bird flu pandemic by giving him the power to use
the US military to quarantine ''part[s> of the country" experiencing an
''outbreak."

Planning makes sense. But planning for ''brutal" or ''extreme" quarantine
of large numbers or areas of the United States would create many more
problems than it could solve.

Not only can't we evacuate Houston, we cannot
realistically quarantine its citizens. The real public health challenge will be
shortages of health care personnel, hospital beds, and medicine. Plans to
militarize quarantine miss the point in a pandemic. (excerpt)

The enemy is not sick or exposed Americans --
it is the virus itself.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/arti cles/
2005/10/08/bushs_risky_flu_pandemic_plan/[/COLOR

-----------

GUIDANCE FOR MEDICAL WORKERS THAT TRANSPORT/TREAT AVIAN FLU
PATIENTS

http://www.osha.gov/dsg/guidance/avian-flu.html

Edited by Rick
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:56pm

Infection Control Guidance for Respirators (Masks)
worn by Health Care

Workers - Frequently Asked Questions

SEVERE ACUTE RESPIRATORY SYNDROME (SARS)
Revised 2003-06-05

What is an N95 respirator/mask?

How do I put on a N95 respirator/mask?

How long can I wear my mask for protection ?

How do I remove my mask?

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/sars-sras/ic-ci/sars-respmasks_e. html
AnitaRNpulmo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:53am
http://avianflu-personal-protection.blogspot.com/

Lot pics and docs uploaded and to be uploaded about respiratory prtoection.
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 1:09pm

i can get a good deal on 3m p95 masks, i can not find out if they are ok for this or not ?

dee
MissRX View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:33pm

I got the N95 masks with the changeable P100 filters.

I wish I knew how long these filters were good for per use.

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:28pm
Hours or even days as soon you dont deal with a close contact of an higly infected patient - and the filter is not colmated by dusts.
Military nurses are fit with N(uclear)B(acteriological)C(himical) filters (id est a P100 filter as the first filtering device of the cartridge) - heavy duty gear for hours of exposition or even worse.
Anita
More to come about P100 filters and cartridges on the next pages of my site ....
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 5:50pm
Thank you very much Anita. I appreciate the information very much.  I was overtired when I was looking up the info on masks last night and I mixed up a bunch of information in my head. I think my stress level is starting to get the better of me.
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
MissRX View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 8:34am

Originally posted by AnitaRNpulmo AnitaRNpulmo wrote:

Hours or even days as soon you dont deal with a close contact of an higly infected patient - and the filter is not colmated by dusts.
Military nurses are fit with N(uclear)B(acteriological)C(himical) filters (id est a P100 filter as the first filtering device of the cartridge) - heavy duty gear for hours of exposition or even worse.
Anita
More to come about P100 filters and cartridges on the next pages of my site ....

I do have the P100 filters...

are you saying that each set of filters can be used for hours at a time?

I thought I had read somewhere that they were only good for about 60 minutes, but I cannot remember where I'd seen that.

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:10am
Its not as plain - and there is no rate in fact, only recommandations and tests ... P100 in itself means nothing, the construction of the filter piece is the most important to consider.
A disposable cup/shell N95 ...P100 mask looses its ability to filter with use, perspiration, dust, liquid projections, ... from 30 min to 3 hours. Besides its better to discard after use in close contact with an infectious patient.
A P100 side filter is either a plain set of filtering matter (laminated) attached to  the valve box. - either a box (canister or cartridge) with a front filter, a highly efficient filtering device inside the cartridge which fixes the particulates, and  an exit way, screwed to the valve box. gasmask type filters (full face industrial or military) are fit with  a sealed cartridge, with a tiny front opening, and a screwing part bacwards. (all this is in my pics to be uploaded)
The filtering device in side or front cartridges is far more important (in quantity of filtering matter) and far more protected to exposition from contaminants - and moisture from exhalation - than a disposable cup mask. Not speaking of the wide range of professional filters, up to big cartridges > 1 liter.
So you see why such filters can last for hours or even days.
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 10:47am
has anybody heard of 3m P95 masks ? help, i can snag a bunch of them at a good price but i can't tell if they are good or not.  they are designed for body shops, painting etc. 
dee
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:00am

A good NBC mask, military issue.  About $300 anywhere.   there's an outfit called "brigadequartermaster" if you want to order them online, but hey, time is of the essence, so just hit your local military surplus shops until you find something appropo.

Be sure to pick up as many cartridges as you can get.

I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:14pm
thanks thomas, guess i am getting a deal, guy is going out of business and wants 15 $ each
dee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:49am
Does anyone know if the 3M exhalation valve ones like the ones on the Oprah show have an expiration date?
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 4:00am
Its a concern, pieces as valves dont last forever ...
One or two years is safe.
Besides, as I told in previous posts, the valves cant be changed and are not as safe as valves of non disposable masks.
Most nurses facing TBor MDR tb wear valveless masks.
Anita
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic