Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Feb 13 what have you done to prep today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feb 13 what have you done to prep today
    Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:25am

thought I would udate..to start the new week...

Edited by muskrat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:40am
Wally World here finally restocked the collapseable 5gal water carriers. About $5 a piece. Picked up 4 of them. Will use them to store water, or transport from a local spring if needed.

I've noticed that either Walmart is very slow to restock, or people are buying items faster than before.  Been waiting a month.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 5:09am
I am waiting till Feb 21 to do my big shop,I have to drive 2 hours to be tested for allergies and I will be able to go to a wallie and other stores..yes living in goomerville has it draw backs...so I will putter today..have some water to do up and those poor oranges should really get done..oh i did ziplock up 2 more boxes of pancake mix and they will have to be stored...Maybe I,ll take some time today and find some more room for preps...
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 5:18am
I found room for 47 - 2 liter bottles of water in my bathroom.  Now I need to start working on water for the other bathrooms and kitchen. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 5:20am

Originally posted by iamclose iamclose wrote:

I found room for 47 - 2 liter bottles of water in my bathroom.  Now I need to start working on water for the other bathrooms and kitchen. 

where did you find the space..under the cabinet under the sink...I have all of mine in a cupboard under my stairs (about 250) 2 litre pop bottles...I have about 30 more to do,but have no room...

iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 5:39am

I put them in the cabinets that are to high for me to reach and also in the cabinets that have back corners that are not easy accessible to me for everyday stuff. 

How long will this water be good for and how much bleach do you add to a  2 liter to make it drinkable?  At the present time my plans are to use the 2 liters in the bathrooms for flushing the toliet if we loose power.  We live in the country and have well water so no power no water.  We do have a generator to run the frige, freezer, etc.  but I don't think it will run the well. 

Rainla View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 6:36am

Fla_Medic -

What section in Wally World did you find the containers? I have asked at ours (2 different times) and got blank looks.  I've combed the store looking for them but have been unsuccessful (of course with a toddler in tow the combing has to be done very fast!)

Thanks!

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 6:51am
I purchased several in the camping section.
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:41am

I put 4-5 drops of regular house bleach per 2 litre bottle...and I have waxed my tops..just last month I dumped all of the bottles and re-filled them..the water was perfectly fine and some of it was 2 years old..or a bit older then that...

Now I have 250 freshly stocked water bottles for drinking and I am always doing more..the wax in the tops is just because(and I will re-use the wax for candles) I have stocked up on candle wicking...

I also save the green 2 litre bottles(but you CANNOT use these to drink)..different chemicals in the green bottles and also you cannot see throught it to see if contaminents have leached in.....we will use these ones for washing body...

pola33193 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pola33193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:55am

I bought really big garbage containers  to fill with water for the bathrooms one for each bathroom for toilets and whatever ,not for drinking ! I am going to put them inside the showers or inside the bathtub I dont care about the space  !           ;           ;           ;          colapsable containers you find them in the camping sections try : wall Mart , K Mart ,  Target , and sports authority .                                                                                     

pola
walkdog View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 9:58am

The wife and I stocked up @ Costco over the weekend.  We should be good-to-go for a couple of months.  We will continue stocking up until we have at least 6 months of supplies.

walkdog
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:02am
Ordered online some Zithromax for possible bacterial secondary infections if
flu does indeed hit here. HINNI (hope I never need it!)

It costs too much, as do most drugs, if you buy without a Rx. Just hope the
expiration date is decent. Sigh.

Rocky

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:26am
I like your garbage containers idea.I will buy extra gargage containers Iwill also buy a small childs pool for use for water for the dog . With a lid on it for nights He sleeps in the house at night but when we goes out during the day   I am planning on putting a cheap awning   in the backyard  .  So we can sit out in the yard
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:41am

My sons and I set up a primative camp site about a mile from our house this weekend.  Both the boys know how to get there and it is near a river and a creek.  It is our family rally point.  The boys know that is where they should go for any circumstance if forced from the house or separated for any reason and the house is not available. 

I know a system like that is not available for everyone but a rally point is a good idea for all families to the extent possible, it could be the neighborhood fire/police department.

Kumera Kid View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumera Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:52am
BamaSteve Absolutely!! I'm gald to see someone else has a "B" plan. Everyone can have a "B" plan, they won't always be ideal but they will be one hell of a lot better than no plan. I applaud your effort.JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('')
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 2:48pm
Just to be clear - If I could lay hands on a MK 19 belt fed grenade launcher and a dump truck load of 40mm grenades . . .  that would be plan-A. 
woffman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:03pm

Purchased a cast iron cookware set.  a laser dot sight for my pistol.  a dutch oven tripod for campfire cooking.  A dutch oven cookbook.  500 rounds of 7.62x39 FMJ.  5 gallon gas can and carrier for the back of the 4 wheeler.  Supplies to make 70 lbs of jerky.  topo map software for the gps.  A new pair of hiking boots. 

I think thats it. 

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 6:41pm
I was going to take a break from prepping today. I went out to lunch with a couple of girlfriends and for a walk around the mall.  Then my UPS guy showed up around 6pm with my January order from beprepared.com. I am definitely starting to get weird looks from him. These boxes are always pretty heavy. I wish they wouldn't put their website in big bold letters on the sides of their boxes!!
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:18pm

I ordered a 35 gallon water tank today and I have ordered more masks that are n95 masks

I also plan on buying more batteries..more toilet paper

KOMET163

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:32pm

Today I made an important strategic investment:

Half a dozen long stemmed white roses, a valentine's day card, a small bunch of dark chocolate hearts, and reservations for candlelight dinner for two.

You see, my wife is my "secret weapon".  She gives me strength to rise another day, do what I have to do, work hard, make a future for the two of us.  Without her, I am as Puff the Magic Dragon, sans little Jackie Paper.  That, plus she's a damn good shot with a 9mm and a 20 gauge.  I need her at my side, in my arms, or watching my back, as the situation demands.  I can't afford to be without her.  I trust her.  How many people can one truly TRUST?  HER, I trust.  With my very life.

In all your planning for tomorrow, don't forget about today.  Remember that families and relationships are what make all this planning and preparing worthwhile.  Without them, what do you really have worth living FOR?  Not bloody much.  Relationships require a little maintenance, but the upkeep is well worth the meagre investment.

meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 9:18pm

God bless you  Bruss!

Thank-you for keeping the spouse in the equation! Happy Valentines day!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 9:43pm
I second that, Happy Valentines Day! BTW, I did manage to sneak into my husband's luggage a little hugging pair of stuffed monkeys, a card and an almond joy bar (his favorite). He called earlier this evening to say he found it and it made him very happy.
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
MissRX View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:28am
Originally posted by bruss01 bruss01 wrote:

Today I made an important strategic investment:

Half a dozen long stemmed white roses, a valentine's day card, a small bunch of dark chocolate hearts, and reservations for candlelight dinner for two.

You see, my wife is my "secret weapon".  She gives me strength to rise another day, do what I have to do, work hard, make a future for the two of us.  Without her, I am as Puff the Magic Dragon, sans little Jackie Paper.  That, plus she's a damn good shot with a 9mm and a 20 gauge.  I need her at my side, in my arms, or watching my back, as the situation demands.  I can't afford to be without her.  I trust her.  How many people can one truly TRUST?  HER, I trust.  With my very life.

In all your planning for tomorrow, don't forget about today.  Remember that families and relationships are what make all this planning and preparing worthwhile.  Without them, what do you really have worth living FOR?  Not bloody much.  Relationships require a little maintenance, but the upkeep is well worth the meagre investment.

What a wonderful post to start my day  Just beautiful.

This past Sunday my love & I spend V-day together also. An entire day without worry. We got 80 minute massages, and a sea-salt bath to relax and then went to a wonderful dinner at a fancy steakhouse. It was great!

Last night it was back to preparing.

picked up 10 gallons of water. Tonight, I will swing by Food 4 Less hopefully, and stock up on some more food items.

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 10:59am
bruss how wonderfull of you and yes happy Valentines day everyone......I,ll keep my valentines gift a secret....
cosmicpixie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmicpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 3:20pm

Hello all

I'm vicky from cardiff in wales,UK,and I only started prepping yesterday after my partner and  I discussed a "preparedness" article he'd come across while checking flu updateson sunday.

So far I have about 25 carrier bags full of food shopping and last night ordered and paid for a "family kit" to cover 6 adults ,containing masks,goggles,gloves and sanitizer.after reading how The hong kong government is officially advising their people to get supplies in,i am even more convinced of the wisdom of preparedness.I've a long list of things to buy and do feel a bit potty that i am doing this,it all seems a bit surreal.tomorrow i plan a couple of trips for more food and household goods and have to find some asian shop for big bags of rice and tubs of spices.

Can you seriously drink tap water that has been treated with normal,smelly household bleach?

I was planning to buy massive bottles pre-filled with spring water for drinking and get 2 big water tanks for emergency water.And start cleaning out milk containers for storing more tap water for general use.Bottled water from the shop has about 2 years life in it I gather.

you can always boil stored tap water can't you,for purifying before drinking? How old can in be for it to still be okay to use?

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:02pm
Got my Wife a nice shirt with horses pictured on it. She is allergic to flowers, but anything horsy makes her HAPPY.

I did pick up 5 salt blocks, 5 gallons bleach, ten rolls of paper towels and ten of TP, twenty pounds of pinto beans and 5 cans of roast beef and gravy.
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:38pm
2 packs of pull-ups (training pants); baby wipes; hand sanitizer; mylicon; emetrol; playdoh; monistat; bars of soap; 12 packages of aseptic soy milk; apple butter; pediasure.....
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:55pm

When I don't go on a specific prep shopping trip, everytime I go to the store to pick up things that I'll use today, I always make sure to add about 10 bucks worth of can goods, beans, tp, ect. That's what I had done a couple of days ago. This weekend will be a Costco run.

"Prepping is Power"!
cosmicpixie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmicpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 5:10am

I have not long come back from a big shopping expedition- bought:-

8o toliet rolls,loads of disinfectant and general household supplies.,bags of rice, 3 huge boxes of tea bags,lots more tinned goods,batteries,torch,campfire cooker,torch,matches,light bulbs,baby wipes, 6 months supply of tampons,lots of deoderant,soap etc and 9 spray bottles (plan to use these for water and disinfectant to make a spray).Plan to buy 2 big rucksacks to fill with"get out of the house quickly" items and personal effects,and large water storage tanks.Alot more to buy and i continue to feel a bit crazy doing all this,but I could not forgive myself if it did kick off and we weren't prepared.

I am trying to find coveralls suitable for a toddler-gloves too.Have got masks but cant find these other items,they are always adult versions.Anyone know of anywhere online in the UK I can buy toddler protective clothing?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:30am
Just got back from the grocery store and I have bought 6 more bottles of Lysol cleaner and 4 more jars of peanut butter..6 more margarine and 6 boxes of dryer fabric softener...4 large bottles of shampoo and 4 conditioner(might go back tomorrow and get more of these)...now just finding some space will be a job in itself..oh yea and we picked up 2 more guppies for our 10 gallon tank...
chefmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:13pm

Just came back from Dollar Tree & CVS. I got Alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, benidryl, childrens tylenol & motrin, shampoo, immodium, dayquil, nyquil, cold capsules, suedaphed, crayons, 30 emergency candles, canned hams, caned oranges, pineapple, coloring books, homeschool workbooks, birthdaycards for everyone for the next year, canned nuts & coffee, cleaning supplies, spices & crackers. I just ordered more masks and some dehydrated eggs & fruit & veggies from honeyvillefoods.

Think I'll go shopping tommorow too...Dollar Tree had canned food 2 for $1. I also got cotton balls & vasealine to make thoes fire starters. I still have to get a coleman stove & fuel & a water tank.

I feel like I will never be done...there are still so many things to get & only so much moo-lah!

May God protect us all.       
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 8:43am
Just got back from another shop..do it a bit a time..lol...6 more shampoo..have about 12 large bottles now and I figure for the 5 of us that might do for about 2 years....now on my list to finish up on is canned goods and garden seeds..the garden seeds for this year should be cming out soon..and I plan on stocking up on alot more..can,t get the heirloom seeds here..so I,ll have to do the best I can...
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 11:05am
More ammunition, more and more ammunition.  Rounds for the SKS are about $120.00 per thousand here locally, $.012 each.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:20pm
           JUST CANNED 9 pints of chicken, 5 WHITE MEAT AND 4 DARK MEST WITH 7 QUARTS OF BROTH........NOW I HAVE 43 POUNDS OF TURKEY TO CAN UP........MAYBE THIS WEEKEND........AND THEY HAVE PORK STEAK ON SALE FOR 99 A POUND........WILL GET 20 POUNDS OF THAT AND DO THE SAME.......AS THIS GOES ON, CHICKEN WILL BECOME CHEAP AND I STILL HAVE LOTS OF JARS TO FILL AND STORE........ANY ONE ELSE CANNING AT HOME?         & nbsp;      SUNSET
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 1:35pm
Prepare for ANY emergency! At least 21 days.
The following suggestions are for two adults in a 21 day period who live in a small apartment.

WATER: A fifty-five gallon water barrel will fit in a closet and give two people enough water for over 21 days, (plan one gallon a day per person, use 2 ounces of bleach per 55 gallons)! OR: Save your two liter Soda Bottles, fill with tap water, add four to six drops of bleach. Don't forget storage behind wall couches.

FOOD: Easy to store under the bed ideas include:
**TUNA packed in Oil (Water can freeze and burst), 42 cans. Be creative. Pack 21 days of YOUR favorite canned foods, vegetables and fruits.
**Tomatoe Juice, 8 oz per person per day, 10-30 oz cans
**PEANUT BUTTER, 5 large jars
**POWDERED MILK, ten pounds
**SHREDDED WHEAT, five pounds

Prescription Medicines
Multiple Vitamin one per person a day - 42
Vitamin C one per person a day - 42
Flashlight and Batteries - One per person.
AM/FM Radio
CASH in Bills smaller than 20's
One Sleeping Bag per person.
Manual Can Opener for all your canned foods
Manual Clock
Toilet Paper-12 rolls
Plastic Grocery Sacks for Sanitary purposes, 100 sacks. Line your toilet.
Large thick Trash bags. 21 bags.
Lamp, Lamp Oil-1 quart, 2 lighters:
1 oil extra per lamp and one extra wick per lamp/Lighter
A good First Aid Kit.
Books, Cards, Board Games, etc....you may not have TV, VCR or your computer.
Antibacterial Soap, 1 quart.

Never let your fuel tank fall below a quarter tank.
This is minimal preparation for any type emergency you can store in a closet, under a bed, in a corner. There are pages of information you can read to help expand your preparation...I found this info in my Y2K preps. Hope it helps someone.
mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 4:30pm

Hi, Sunset  - you're post must have been meant just for me.

I just bought my canner and  few cases of jars. I plan to do butter and meat to start with and move on form there.  I would love to maybe PM you a little later and ask some questions - right now I'm even to new to know what to ask.

Thnaks .

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 7:31pm

Last orders from beprepared.com and survivalacres.com arrived today -- dehydrated food, buckets, mylar bags, and 0xygen absorbers primarily. Am glad that's in!

Also, did two grocery runs in the last two days. I like the under the bed storage idea as that is the only place where there is any room.... -- Libby

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 9:17pm
  I bought 12 cases of quart mason jars, a propane deep fryer a bottle scrubber, a few loaves of bread for the freezer more can pops, root beer sprite and coke.We also bought some vegeterian boca burgers.  I think my husband bought to many 3 boxes.  I bought tea tree oil, pepper mint oil .  I bought ginger tea for upset stomachs.
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 1:28pm
               HI MINI MOUSE...........NICE TO HEAR THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS CANNING........I AM NEW TO THIS ALSO, BUT HAVE HAD OTHER PEOPLES CANNED STUFF AND THOUGHT IF THEY CAN, I CANN..........I LIKE IT A LOT, MUCH BETTER THAN STORE BOUGHT MEAT IN A CAN........WHEN MEAT GOES ON SALE , I GO TO THE MEAT...........HOME MADE SOUPS, MMMMMM. I AM HOPE ING TO PUT UP ALL THE THINGS WE WOULD EAT DAY TO DAY WITHOUT THE BF COMEING....THAT WAY NO BIG SHOCK TO THE EATING HABITS........BEAN SOUP WITH HAM HOCKS, IN QUART SIZE, WONT HAVE TO DO ANY THING BUT OPEN JARS AND EAT, NO WATER  TO WAIST.....GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOURS, LET ME KNOW HOW ITS GOING SUNSET
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 2:01pm
Went to National Wholesale Liquidators today and got great stuff. Also made run to the Dollar Tree and got some stuff to keep 3 year old happy... -- Libby
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 3:12pm
Was going to Dollar General today to stock up.  Dollar General in our area was closed for maintance.  GRRRR   Sign on door said will open again soon.  Had a $50.00 visa gift card from christmas.  Used it last night to stock up on all kinds of canned veggies.  I know it's not enough but it is a start.  I think I have around 180 cans of vegetables now.  Next working on canned fruits. 
tybaltlives View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 5:44pm

Here in the desert we have plants called Yuccas - they consist of long spiny leaves - with thin wire like strands kind of peeling off the edges.  Despite being dry, they maintain their flexibility.  

Today, I practiced making rope out of these strands.  I was successful.  If I had to, I could make shoes, baskets, and set snares.  Of course, actually needing to do this would mean that the worst case scenario actually transpired - but I am really trying to be prepared.  I have lots of food and high-tech stuff as well - My batteries are all NiMh and I have a solar battery charger (assuming the sun is still shining!)

Did you know the roots of a yucca can be used to make soap? 

-R

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 7:07pm
I looked for some jars, but none available here yet, too early for canning season.

I did pick up some sugar, not enough to make whiskey with. For you Corn.

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 9:41pm
  Today I started buying the last of my prep items or so i thought. I bought a tiller from Lowes, more paper towels,tp, cups plates and kleenx from Sams club.  I also bought mice and rat traps, roach spray, lime& sulfur. for snakes.  I discovered they have sticky trays for snakes so i bought a bunch.  My husband thought i had lost it.  I bought 10, 5 gal. pails.         I went to the Mexican grocery store and bought some mexican can  food and seasoning.   
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 5:55pm
             YOU CAN FIND CANNING JARS AT WAL MART, ALL YEAR LONG OR YOU CAN ASK ANY STORE BUT WAL MART TO ORDER YOU SOME........SUNSET
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic