Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - OT: looks like tough times ahead for Stock Market?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

OT: looks like tough times ahead for Stock Market?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 10:43pm
Melody can you say what state you are in?  Some states have very affordable health Ins for Sole Prop.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 4:23am
Hong Kong is down another 5% today and Nikkei is down 11%.  Get ready for another -500 drop. 
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 7:00am
 Rally this afternoon mixed earnings. Suckers.....
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 10:06am
Just for you guys ... Wink ....  We're going to add a live stock ticker to the top of this site so we can all follow the U.S. and Asian Markets Live.  Should be up and working in the next hour or two. 

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 10:19am
Thanks Albert,

Perfect.....I love this site. 
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 11:41am
Very cool.  Thankyou Albert!!!!
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 11:50am
Albert - thank you for being so considerate of our concerns. Love the Ticker. D
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 11:52am
Glad you guys like it.  The numbers will automatically update once per minute, or you can refresh the screen yourself.  It's only about 10- 15 seconds behind the Live Big Board on Wall Street, so the numbers are very accurate.  We can also follow the Asian markets Live all night for all us insomniacs.   Smile 

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 12:59pm
The numbers will now automatically update every 15 seconds, instead of every minute.  
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 3:44pm
Alebert...you too??? Insomniac? LOL Me too:O) Call me the nght owl. My poor mother can't get to sleep until 6am usually. Long nights. I usually have Bloomberg on so I can watch the ticker then late at night I watch the Asian markets. Glad you have the ticker here as well:O)
Melody
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 3:59pm
Yes!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by MelodyAtHome MelodyAtHome wrote:

Alebert...you too??? Insomniac? LOL Me too:O) Call me the nght owl. My poor mother can't get to sleep until 6am usually. Long nights. I usually have Bloomberg on so I can watch the ticker then late at night I watch the Asian markets. Glad you have the ticker here as well:O)
Melody

Hi Melody, A lot of people around here seem to be night owls.  The new stock board will give us something else to do.  

Glad you like it,

PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 8:38pm
Wow that was a surprise when I just logged in.  Albert you do such a great job.
Can you post the us gold prices to ?  I love watching the gold price go up.

Prepgirl
PrepGirl
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 8:47pm
Hi PG, we tried to add Gold & Oil, but since it was tied to the Futures, they were unable to do it.  The data base for the real time feed was too complicated and completely different, from what I understand.   Maybe they can figure it out down the road. 

Also, here is the Break Down on the World Wide Markets.  It's interesting to see what the rest of the markets around the world are doing (through the night), and it can tell us what to expect in some cases.

S&P/TSX: Canada
DAX:  Germany
FTSE 100UK
Hang Seng: Hong Kong
Nikkei Japan

Of course the market hours vary, and are different for each of them. 

A

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 10:27pm
There have been a lot of local lay offs lately in our county and the ones around us. The stocke market can go up and down but I only see job lay offs and businesses closing left and right. I live in northeast Ohio. My sister lives closer to Cleveland and she sees a lot more going on over there since she does home health care and drives around a lot and sees what is going on first hand. Very sad.
It affects everyone and every business when there are lay offs.
Melody
Melody
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 3:15am
My Quality Control / Tech. job just got eliminated! I was told last mon! I been with the company for 30 years!! Now I have to go back on the production line and take a pay cut! UGGGGG! I guess i'm lucky that I was able to " bump" someone. Some others also got hit @ the plant in Ohio.

Hey, Albert! Good idea with the new stock board! !
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 7:36am
Thanks Coyote, and sorry to hear about the job change. 

This guy loves the economy....    You may need to cut & paste the URL:

C:\Documents and Settings\PCM\Desktop\tcr-repo-man-091108.wmv

cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 8:34am
   It seems like W has figured out a way to lower oil prices, Too bad people won't be able to afford gas , or have to use it driving to work.
   I'm also seeing an up tick in dirty campaigning, seems like Rove is on the loose again. While we struggle , they play politics. They talk of solialism, heck there is no money to give to the poor , any ways. The middle class?? they might soon be in the food pantry kitchens crying poor mouth. Sorry to say, you voted them in and let them play with your futures all the while saying "God bless America."
   Higher taxes are the least of my worries, Soon we won't be earning any wages to pay them from. And we will have big loses in the market to write off as well.
cgh
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 8:46am
Mccain can't figure out why he's getting destroyed in the polls.   Maybe it's because he does things like give away 3.8 billion ti Big Oil, and his contributors.  It's hard to wrap your mind around this sort of greed.  Bunch of scumbags if you ask me... 

JOHN McCAIN'S PLANS TO CONTINUE BUSH'S GIVEAWAYS TO BIG OIL

Working families are feeling the squeeze -- record high gas prices, record home foreclosure rates and skyrocketing health care costs. But President Bush and John McCain both have Big Oil's interests at heart. Despite record profi ts and executive pay in the oil industry, neither Bush nor McCain is willing to cut back on Big Oil's windfall profits and tax breaks. McCain already has proposed giving $3.8 billion more in tax breaks to Big Oil and has voted to protect their profi ts. Tell John McCain it's time to Turn Around America by putting working families' needs over Big Oil's greed.

BIG OIL HAS DONE WELL UNDER THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION

Working Families Are Hit Hard With Extreme Gas Prices

Average Price of Gas Has Hit $4 a Gallon, Up from $1.47 the Week Bush Took Office. The average price of a gallon of regular gasoline reached $4 in May. This is up from only $1.47 per gallon the week President Bush took office in January 2001. (Energy Information Administration, Petroleum Navigator).

Nearly 80 Percent of What We Pay Goes to Big Oil. The executive director of the Gasoline and Automotive Service Dealers of America, Michael J. Fox, explained that "79.9 percent of the money a consumer spends on a gallon of gas goes to 'Big Oil,' the term used to describe companies like ExxonMobil, Shell and Sunoco." (Connecticut Post Online, 5/7/08)

BIG OIL IS MAKING RECORD PROFITS UNDER THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION

ExxonMobil Reported the Highest Profi ts for a U.S. Company Ever, Making $40 Billion in 2007. ExxonMobil Corp. broke the record for profits made in a year by a U.S. company, reporting $40 billion in profits in 2007. (Associated Press, 4/10/08)

OIL INDUSTRY EXECS TAKING HOME MILLIONS (Associated Press, 4/10/08)

• ExxonMobil gave chairman and CEO Rex Tillerson a raise to $21.7 million.
  • Occidental Petroleum Corp. paid chief executive Ray Irani $34.2 million in 2007. Anadarko Petroleum Corp. Chairman and CEO James Hackett received $26.7 million.
  • ConocoPhillips gave Jim Mulva a $15.1 million package in 2007.

The Top Five Oil Companies Have Made $525 Billion in Profits Under the Bush Administration. The five largest oil companies have made $525.3 billion in profits under the Bush administration and $123.3 billion in 2007 alone. (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 financial reports for ExxonMobil, BP, Royal Dutch Shell, ConocoPhillips and ChevronTexaco)

Bush Administration Has Repeatedly Slashed Funding for Renewable Energy and Protected Big Oil's Profits. Daniel Weis and Nick Kong, in an article for the Center for American Progress, outlined Bush's policies throughout his tenure as president. Despite repeated calls for more investment in energy independence and renewable energy, Bush has slashed funding for these programs while protecting Big Oil's tax breaks. (Center for American Progress, 3/4/08)

• 2002 and 2003: Bush's budget proposal for fiscal 2003 and 2004 slashed funding for renewable energy programs. (Greenwire, 2/7/02; Union of Concerned Scientists, 2/6/03)

• 2005: Bush's budget reduced funding for renewable energy programs by 5.6 percent, and he signed an energy bill giving $4.3 billion in tax breaks to Big Oil. (Union of Concerned Scientists, 2/22/05; New York Times, 7/28/05; Friends of the Earth, 7/27/05)

• 2006: Bush requested no new funding for energy efficiency or renewable energy and eliminated funding for geothermal and hydropower. (Democratic Policy Committee, 2/8/06; Union of Concerned Scientists, 2/13/06)

• 2007: Bush proposed cutting renewable energy research funding and, to save tax breaks for Big Oil, threatened to veto efforts to encourage energy conservation and independence. (U.S. Department of Energy, 2/5/07; Statement of Administration Policy, 8/3/07; Statement of Administration Policy, 12/7/07)

• 2008: "President Bush proposes a 27 percent cut for 'Department of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy programs.' This includes zeroing out the Renewable Energy Production Incentive program, and cutting solar energy programs." (Center for American Progress, 2/8/08)

• 2008: Bush opposed tax incentives for producers and homeowners to use renewable energy technologies, helping to defeat the bill. (New York Times, 2/7/08; Statement of Administration Policy, 2/26/08)

WHY HAS THE OIL INDUSTRY CONTRIBUTED TWICE AS MUCH TO McCAIN’S CAMPAIGN AS TO EITHER DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE?

McCain Has Received Almost Twice as Much in Donations from Oil and Gas Industry PACs and Employees as Obama or Clinton. According to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, John McCain’s campaign has received $723,777 in donations from oil industry political action committees and employees during his 2008 presidential campaign, almost twice as much as Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton. (Center for Responsive Politics, accessed 5/31/08)

BECAUSE McCAIN WILL CONTINUE BUSH'S GIVEAWAYS TO BIG OIL

McCain's Tax Plan Gives $3.8 Billion in Tax Cuts to the Top Five Oil Companies. McCain's current plan would deliver $3.8 billion in tax cuts to the five largest American oil companies. ("The McCain Plan to Cut Oil Company Taxes by Nearly $4 Billion," Center for American Progress Action Fund, 3/27/08)

McCAIN VOTES TO PROTECT BIG OIL'S PROFITS McCain Skipped a Vote to Repeal Tax Breaks for Oil Companies. In 2007, McCain was the only senator to miss a vote on the energy bill repealing tax subsidies for oil companies. (H.R. 6, Vote 425, 12/13/07)

McCain Voted Against Curtailing Oil Companies' Windfall Profits to Give a Tax Rebate to Working Families. In 2005, McCain voted against imposing a temporary windfall profits tax on oil companies and using the proceeds to provide nonrefundable tax credits to working families. (S.Amdt. 2635, Vote 341, 11/17/05; S.Amdt. 2587, Vote 331, 11/17/05)

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 8:58am
The market is as volatile as it is for one main reason  -- It's now being "Day Traded".    And from what I understand, Day Trading the DOW seems to be working for people.... People are now buying and selling in the same day for quick profits, which is easier than day trading penny stocks because the DOW stocks are slow-movers, and it's easy to get your money out.   Its a good place to gamble, but it won't help long term investments...
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 9:16am
Quick change on the Stock Index.  We had to disable the Auto-Refresh feature because it was creating other errors on the site.   Therefore, to refresh the market numbers, just click the "Refresh Now" link. 

waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 8:05pm
Yahoo earning down 64% after close today. May be a rough ride tomorrow. Earning season is upon us. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 10:20am
BIG OIL HAS DONE WELL UNDER THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION

and that is good because it's stocks like this that fuel the retirement funds of many Americans... nurses, teachers, policemen, postal workers etc...etc...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 10:24am
Tax Rebate to Working Families.

and the rebate foolishness...they wanted to give back 75.00 to every family and not fix our roads... thank heaven they realized how dumb that was.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 10:56am
They keep talking about rebates but they cannot pay for anything they are doing already. Where is all the money going to come from? Between the war and the bailouts...the national debt is growing at an incredible rate!
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 2:59am

World Markets are all down 6% - 7% over night..... Could be another ugly day for the U.S. market.

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 3:16am
I read a article last weekend that the stock market actually did crash because it lost 22% in a one week period.. However it was never mentioned to the public because of the panic that would have occured.

Ya Albert, Could be another ugly, REST OF THE WEEK for the market.

YAHOO firing 1,500 workers; 3Q profit falls 64%...
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 6:24am
My prediction:  Down  - 400 or more today.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 7:31am
Its gonna take a big hit today.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 7:41am
Merck laying of 7,200 jobs. Not sure if thast is only in USA or worldwide. It just ran acxross the Bloomberg channel. Yikes!
Melody
Melody
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 5:48pm

I like this thinking when in doubt fire people. Soon nobody will be willing to work because you will never get you pension, you will be fired so don’t bust you ba## for nobody people, the bosses upstairs who makes all the money will not feel sorry for you or your family they just want to squeeze everything out of you and throw you ass out.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 7:43pm
don't get me going on that topic....

we, the American people, - THE COMMON HERD, ...

1. Who Is More Damaged-Big Corporations Or The American People

Oct 9, 2008 ... Free Finance articles for use on your Finance related website. ... of helping bail out the American people who do not own a corporation. ...
    www.articlesbase.com/finance-articles/who-is-more-damagedbig-corporations-or-the-american-people-602888.html - 51k - Cached - Similar pages
  2. CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive ...

May 1, 2008 ... The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by .... And I won't hold the american people accountable because you didn't vote for ...
    politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/01/poll-bush-most-unpopular-in-modern-history/ - 216k - Cached - Similar pages
  3. CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive ...

Sep 22, 2008 ... The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Friday through .... I hope the American people vote on the issues and not race. ...
    politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/22/republicans-blamed-obama-gains-over-financial-crisis/ - 205k - Cached - Similar pages
    More results from politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com »
  4. Iraq

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll. July 27-29, 2008. ...... "Do you think the Bush Administration deliberately misled the American public about whether ...
    www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm - 583k - Cached - Similar pages
  5. Sins of the Fathers: How Corporations Use the Constitution and ...

They came to understand that for the American people to control their lives, .... “Why do corporations get away with it? Because with few exceptions, ...
    www.ratical.org/corporations/TAL030404.html - 92k - Cached - Similar pages
  6. We The Corporations of The United States

Bush does not want the American people to know! ... Politicians now use corporations...
    nobeliefs.com/comments7.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages
    to run their political advertising campaigns and they treat the
  7. Joachim Martillo used to do business in Israel. Now he supports ...

American human rights activists stood with the people of South Africa against apartheid—We will do the same for Palestine. Joachim Martillo used to do ...
    bridgenews.org/bridge_news/issue8backup/martillo - 99k - Cached - Similar pages
  8. madmikesamerica: SELLING TO THE ENEMY: AMERICAN CORPORATIONS ...

Mar 19, 2007 ... They won't be on our side unless we hold them accountable — or force our elected representatives to do so. Can the American people muster ...
    madmikesamerica.blogspot.com/2007/03/selling-to-enemy-american-corporations.html - 30k - Cached - Similar pages
  9. Amazon.com: Freedom from Fear: The American People in Depression ...

The American People in the Great Depression by David M. Kennedy ... suggested this product show on searches for "great depression". What do you suggest? ...
    www.amazon.com/Freedom-Fear-American-Depression-1929-1945/dp/0195144031 - 313k - Cached - Similar pages
  10. what’s wrong with the american corporation?

american corporation? conversations. At the American Sociological Association ... The CFO used to do some accounting;. now the CFO’s main job is to manage ...
    caliber.ucpress.net/doi/pdf/10.1525/ctx.2007.6.4.10 - Similar pages
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 11:46am
Note what the insiders did during May 2008 .... they all sold high... 90's

They sure knew that stock wasn't going to split?
......................................................................................................................

21-May-08 SWIGER ANDREW P
Officer
12,500 Direct Option Exercise at $41.78 per share. $522,250
21-May-08 SWIGER ANDREW P
Officer
12,500 Direct Sale at $94.90 - $94.95 per share. $1,187,0002
21-May-08 CEJKA A TIMOTHY
Officer
55,000 Direct Option Exercise at $45.22 per share. $2,487,100
21-May-08 CEJKA A TIMOTHY
Officer
52,790 Direct Sale at $94.68 - $94.8 per share. $5,001,0002
21-May-08 MATTHEWS CHARLES W
Officer
97,000 Direct Option Exercise at $45.22 per share. $4,386,340
21-May-08 MATTHEWS CHARLES W
Officer
77,722 Direct Sale at $94.53 - $94.75 per share. $7,356,0002
21-May-08 MULVA PATRICK T
Officer
5,000 Direct Option Exercise at $36.19 per share. $180,950
21-May-08 MULVA PATRICK T
Officer
5,000 Direct Sale at $95.70 - $95.72 per share. $479,0002
20-May-08 MULVA PATRICK T
Officer
10,000 Direct Option Exercise at $36.19 per share. $361,900
20-May-08 MULVA PATRICK T
Officer
10,000 Direct Sale at $94.52 - $94.58 per share. $946,0002
19-May-08 GLASS SHERMAN J JR
Officer
42,738 Direct Option Exercise at $36.19 per share. $1,546,688
19-May-08 GLASS SHERMAN J JR
Officer
42,738 Direct Sale at $93 - $94.15 per share. $3,999,0002
19-May-08 KELLY ALAN J
Officer
661 Direct Sale at $94.19 per share. $62,259
19-May-08 LASALA STEPHEN R
Officer
40,000 Direct Option Exercise at $31.70 per share. $1,268,000
19-May-08 LASALA STEPHEN R
Officer
40,000 Direct Sale at $92.97 per share. $3,718,800
19-May-08 MATTHEWS CHARLES W
Officer
13,000 Direct Option Exercise at $45.22 per share. $587,860
Officer
1,075 Direct Disposition (Non Open Market) at $92.97 per share. $99,942
Officer
10,790 Direct Sale at $93.90 - $93.91 per share. $1,013,0002
19-May-08 CRAMER HAROLD R
Officer
50,000 Direct Option Exercise at $41.78 per share. $2,089,000
19-May-08 CRAMER HAROLD R
Officer
50,000 Direct Sale at $93.50 per share. $4,675,000
16-May-08 PRYOR STEPHEN D
Officer
32,000 Direct Option Exercise at $31.70 per share. $1,014,400
16-May-08 PRYOR STEPHEN D
Officer
32,000 Direct Sale at $92.13 - $92.21 per share. $2,949,0002
16-May-08 HUMPHREYS DONALD D
Officer
20,000 Direct Option Exercise at $41.78 per share. $835,600
16-May-08 HUMPHREYS DONALD D
Officer
20,000 Direct Sale at $92.15 - $92.22 per share. $1,844,0002
16-May-08 MULVA PATRICK T
Officer
5,000 Direct Option Exercise at $36.19 per share. $180,950
16-May-08 MULVA PATRICK T
Officer
5,000 Direct Sale at $92.43 - $92.48 per share. $462,0002
14-May-08 CRAMER HAROLD R
Officer
16,164 Direct Option Exercise at $31.70 per share. $512,398
14-May-08 CRAMER HAROLD R
Officer
16,164 Direct Sale at $90.12 per share. $1,456,699
13-May-08 CRAMER HAROLD R
Officer
5,800 Direct Option Exercise at $31.70 per share. $183,860
13-May-08 CRAMER HAROLD R
Officer
5,800 Direct Sale at $89.95 per share. $521,710
7-May-08 DOLAN MICHAEL JAMES
Officer
51,000 Direct Option Exercise at $45.22 per share. $2,306,220
7-May-08 DOLAN MICHAEL JAMES
Officer
51,000 Direct Sale at $89.30 - $89.72 per share. $4,565,0002
6-May-08 SIMON J STEPHEN
Officer
7,295 Direct Option Exercise at $37.12 - $45.22 per share. $300,000

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 12:30pm

April...2007....the CEO...   over 9 million...a lot to people like us.

too bad Cramer said sell at the 11th hour... and not last April.

27-Apr-07TILLERSON REX W
Officer
80,000DirectOption Exercise at $41.78 - $41.78 per share.$3,342,0002
27-Apr-07TILLERSON REX W
Officer
75,000DirectSale at $80.05 - $80.25 per share.$6,011,0002

ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 4:31pm
Um... Tewo things-

First, has anyone else seen this?  I know we've talked about the banks having a "holiday" before, however, I've never seen anything quite this official.

Second, was it my imagination or did the market skyrocket starting at almost exactly 3:00 today for no apparent reason?

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 6:57pm
there is a PPT or plunge protection team and they usually start work at 3pm.  It's a way of keeping the market from falling to much, it happens everyday.  Some days they start in the morning if the news is really bad.

One think you have to watch is, if the news is all really sick, then the market will for sure go up.  It use to go down on just the unemployment being a little off, now everyday it's bad news so the presidents ppt is hard at work.
r we there yet?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 7:25pm
thank you ParanoidMom... I was mostly out today...interesting find.  I don't think closing for 5 days or so is unrealistic, two weeks seems excessive though.  I am primarily an observer at this point, (not worrying about the market roller coaster) made proper conservative moves for my tiny portion. The up and down 500 points is normal for now.  Citigroup is floundering.  Something will have to be done there.  this is a good video on Lehman by Cramer...

http://www.thestreet.com/video/index.html#1873080224

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 9:18pm
I have a friend who bought Circuit City last week for .39 cents, and it's already down to .20 cents.  

Circuit City may shut stores to avoid bankruptcy

By Andria Cheng, MarketWatch
Last update: 1:37 p.m. EDT Oct. 20, 2008
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Struggling electronics retailer Circuit City Stores Inc. is considering a plan to shut at least 150 stores and cut thousands of jobs to avoid filing for bankruptcy protection, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday, citing unidentified people familiar with the situation.

Circuit City (CC:
Circuit City Stores, Inc.- Circuit City Group
 Last: 0.20-0.11-35.48% 

CC 0.20, -0.11, -35.5%) has hired Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, which oversaw Kmart's Chapter 11 reorganization, as its bankruptcy counsel. The company also has retained FTI Consulting Inc. to develop a turnaround plan and investment bank Rothschild Inc. to guide talks with banks and secure emergency financing, the Journal reported.

While we would appreciate [Circuit City] for its attempt to stay solvent, we remain highly pessimistic on holiday sales and on consumer spending in 2009," said Standard & Poor's analyst Michael Souers.

A filing from Circuit City would make it the largest retailer to enter bankruptcy protection in several years, the paper reported. Retailers that have filed for bankruptcy protection this year include Linens 'n Things, Mervyn's and Sharper Image.
"We're not going to speculate on rumors and comment beyond our original statement," said Circuit City spokesman Jim Babb in a response to emailed questions.
The company's management team, board of directors, and its strategic financial advisers are conducting a "comprehensive review" of all aspects of its business to determine the best methods of accelerating its turnaround and delivering substantially improved operating and financial performance, the company said in a written statement.
Shares of Circuit City fell 2.6% to 38 cents a share in afternoon trading, erasing earlier gains and wiping out 91% of their value this year.

The declining credit market has yielded the company little luck in securing debtor-in-possession financing, which helps a business in bankruptcy proceedings pay its day-to-day operating expenses, according to the Journal. By shutting the stores, 59-year-old Circuit City could liquidate about $350 million in inventory, which it could use to pay off certain real-estate costs and pressure existing landlords to renegotiate some leases, the paper added.

As of Aug. 31, Circuit City had 714 stores in the United States and 772 stores and dealer outlets in Canada, employing about 45,000 people. It had sales of $11.74 billion in the year ended Feb. 29.

In September, Circuit City withdrew its previous fiscal 2009 outlook and said that it was suspending future store openings beginning next fiscal year to review all aspects of the business ahead of the holiday season, its biggest selling period.
Faced with a slowing U.S. economy, a weakened brand position, along with stiff competition from rivals such as Best Buy Co. (BBY:

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 11:05pm
I didn't realize Circuit City was that far gone.  I did hear that Linens 'n Things was closing stores.

• OCTOBER 22, 2008

U.S. to Ask Analysts if Lehman Misled

By SUSANNE CRAIG and RANDALL SMITH

Federal prosecutors probing the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. have subpoenaed other Wall Street securities firms, seeking information about whether their analysts were misled by Lehman about its financial health, according to people familiar with the matter.

The subpoenas are broad in nature, requesting information about statements Lehman made earlier this year as its stock was tumbling and questions about its strength were mounting. At least three U.S. attorneys offices are investigating Lehman's demise, including the Southern District of New York. As reported, at least a dozen current and former Lehman executives also have been subpoenaed, including Chairman and Chief Executive Richard Fuld Jr.

source

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122463189470756541.html?dbk

Go to Article from The Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required) �
Go to Article from Reuters via The New York Times �
Go to Previous Article from The New York Times �

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 1:53am
I knew about the market getting flooded in the afternoons on a regular basis.  Yesterday just seemed even more unrealistic.

Mervyn's is going out of business as well.  There are alot of smaller businesses in my area that are struggling as well.  The empty store fronts are staying that way.  Things are certainly going from bad to worse. 

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 3:49am
Going to be a real bad day today..

Global stocks tank; U.S. markets poised to follow
Stocks around the world plunged today, with Japan's benchmark Nikkei index suffering a nearly 10 percent drop, as fears of a global recession deepened. U.S. futures, which give an indication of how markets will open when trading in New York begins, were sharply lower. full story

How much will the "plunge protection team" be able to help today?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 4:58am
If the U.S. market follows what the Asian Markets did last night, get ready for Black Friday. This could get real ugly.  All indicators are suggesting that we could be facing a significant crash today. 

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 5:26am
U.S. futures tumble, triggering trading limits

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A wave of anxiety about a global recession was set to reach the United States at Friday's Wall Street open, with limits imposed on futures trading after they fell more than 6%.

Futures followed the lead of plunging markets worldwide, with Japan's Nikkei index ending down 9.6% and European markets down almost as sharply.

"Today might be the day where everybody throws in the towel," said Peter Cardillo, chief market economist for Avalon Partners. "People are saying 'I've had it, I can't take it anymore, I'm selling everything.'"

(visit the link for the full news article)

BLACK FRIDAY!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 5:54am
This is going to be bad today, so hold on tight.  I wouldn't be surprised to see  -1500.  
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 6:27am
Wow Albert, your prediction is a frightening one!  Especially when earlier this week you were right on when you predicted a 400 pt. drop. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>
  Share Topic