Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - OT: looks like tough times ahead for Stock Market?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

OT: looks like tough times ahead for Stock Market?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 5:33am
Prediction-- Black Friday!

A day to 'dread' on Wall Street
Collapse of auto bailout bill in Senate expected to lead to big selloff at Friday's open. Retail data expected. CNN MONEY

Any predictions on how it will go today?

World markets plunge...

Long time lurker since day one to Member.
LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 6:21am
This is so unbelievable, 8 trillion dollars out there to save the banks and nothing to save the manufacturers.  Lots of job losses coming our way.  Is this a plan for the banksters to take over the government?  They have most of the politicians in their pockets already, is this the end?
r we there yet?
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 6:27am
My opinion bailout or no bailout,It's a no win situation..I think you said that the best move would be is for them to go bankrupt and start over.. I agree. I think that the "runaway freight train" is about to crash.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 6:44am
The White House announced they would not let the auto industry go under so Thats probably why the Dow isn't down as much as it should be.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 1:33am

source
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5331997.ece

From Times Online
December 12, 2008

Wall Street legend Bernard Madoff arrested over '$50 billion Ponzi scheme

Tim Reid, Washington

Some of America's wealthiest socialites were facing ruin tonight after the arrest of a Wall Street legend accused of the largest investor swindle ever blamed on a single individual.

Shock and panic spread through the country clubs of Palm Beach and Long Island after Bernard L Madoff, a trading powerbroker for over four decades, allegedly confessed to a massive fraud that will cost his wealthy investors at least $50 billion, perhaps the largest swindle in Wall Street history.

Mr Madoff, 70, a former Nasdaq stock chairman, was apparently turned in by his two sons and arrested on Thursday morning at his Manhattan apartment by the FBI.

Andrew Calamari, a senior enforcement official at New York's Securities and Exchange Commission, described the scheme as "a stunning fraud that appears to be of epic proportions".

The FBI's criminal complaint states that when two federal agents arrived at Mr Madoff's apartment, he told them: "There is no innocent explanation". The agents say that he told them "he paid investors with money that wasn't there," that he was "broke" and that he expected to go to jail.

The FBI claims that three senior employees of Mr Madoff's investment firm - once a towering presence on Wall Street - turned up at his apartment on Wednesday to ask questions about the company's solvency. Two of them are believed to be his sons, Andrew and Mark, who have worked for their father for two decades.

Mr Madoff told them that he was "finished", that he had "absolutely nothing", and that "it's all just one big lie". He said the investment arm of his firm was "basically a giant Ponzi scheme," and that it had been insolvent for years.

A Ponzi scheme, named after the swindler Charles Ponzi, is a fraudulent investment operation that pays abnormally high returns to investors paid from money put into the scheme by subsequent investors, rather from real profits generated by share trading.

The FBI complaint states that Mr Madoff told his sons he believed the losses from his scheme could exceed $50 billion. If that is the case, his fraud would be far greater than past Ponzi schemes and easily the greatest swindle perpetrated by one man.

There has been scepticism for years on Wall Street over how Mr Madoff managed to pay such consistently high returns, in good investor years and bad.

The FBI alleges that he "paid certain investors purported returns on investment with the principal received from other, different investors, which resulted in losses of billions of dollars."

Such schemes inevitably collapse, and Mr Madoff found himself to be no exception. Because of the stricken economy, and growing suspicions about his business, the FBI says that earlier this month Mr Madoff told one of his sons that clients had requested $7 billion in investments to be returned - and that he was struggling to pay them.

Mr Madoff ran the wealthy investment arm of his business, Bernard L Madoff Investment Securities, secretly and separately from the main trading and market-making floor of his offices, with records kept "under lock and key".

His sons had no involvement in it but told federal agents their father had been under "great stress". Mr Madoff founded his firm in 1960 with $5,000 he had made being a lifeguard on Long Island.

Mr Madoff has been charged with a single count of securities fraud. He declined to enter a plea in Manhattan's US District Court and was released on $10 million bail. He faces up to 20 years in jail and a $5 million fine if convicted. His lawyer, Dan Horwitz, said his client was "a person of integrity. He intends to fight to get through this unfortunate event."

Many of his investors came from the enormously wealthy enclaves of Florida's Palm Beach and New York's Long Island, where people had invested billions of dollars in Mr Madoff's firm for decades.

He was a fixture on the Palm Beach social scene, and was a member of some of its most exclusive clubs, including the Palm Beach Country Club and Boca Rio Golf Club, where he drummed up much of his business.

One investor told The Wall Street Journal: "This is going to kill so many people. It's absolutely awful."

Ira Roth, from New Jersey, said his family - including his 86-year-old mother-in-law - had $1 million invested, and that he was "in a state of panic".

Susan Leavitt, from Florida's Tampa Bay, said she had millions invested, and paid in another $500,000 earlier this year. "That was my nest egg for my children, and my future," she said.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 2:56pm

Reuters video

http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=95406&videoChannel=1

White House mulls auto rescue

(01:49) Report

Dec. 12 - In a reversal of its previous position, the White House announced it will consider providing billions of dollars in needed funding to General Motors and Chrysler.

Analysts say that without quick help, both automakers could face imminent bankruptcy. Jon Decker reports.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 3:07pm
this is an interesting read on the auto bail out...
Read all at the source-

Republicans get rolled by Democrats? Surely you jest!

I put the question mark in the headline because it's not done yet but let's be honest, there's no way Congress can do nothing. I'm not saying they shouldn't but the fact is when these things happen, Congressmen and Senators seem compelled to do something, whether it helps or hurts.

UPDATE: Chris "Friend Of Angelo" Dodd is blaming Senate Republicans for killing the auto industry. Heh. He said the only issue they couldn't come to agreement on was the pay cut that would create parity between US manufacturers and foreign manufacture here in the US. Dodd said the UAW agreed to that, they just wouldn't agree to setting a date when it would happen. Which you know, is not exactly agreeing on it.

Corker is speaking now, he said Republicans told Democrats and the UAW to 'pick any day in 2009' and they said no. Perhaps I'm too cynical but it seems like the union wasn't really serioius about that whole parity thing after all.

Debbie Stabenow from Michigan is claiming that the Republicans only want to screw workers by cutting their wages. It's almost like she has no %$#@ clue about the economics of the auto industry or something.

Apparently the UAW wanted the wage parity part of the plan to wait until 2011 when their current contract expires.

Reid says it's dead until next Congress starts up in January. He suggests that Bush should use TARP money to get the automakers through.

LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 5:07pm
As long as we're throwing money at every problem, give some to the auto makers, office depot could use a couple billion also.  I really don't see  why the banksters should get it all.

I think in time we'll all look back at this and wonder where the brains are at.  Just because they wasted all their money on bad investments and bad decisions doesn't mean the will do better the next time around.  Look at AIG, it's a black hole for money.  They haven't changed their management, the only thing that changed is where they are getting the money to spend.  And putting in new management is probably not the solution either.

Ford is still standing and doesn't need any help, why should we give incompetent GMC and Chrysler money.  We can manage with only one auto manufacturer.  Ford must have competent management.  And the same goes for Morgan/Chase, Citibank, BofA and all the others who need tarp money, some company with competent management will take over and give us better service then we get from these loosers.

Probably another area we should look at is Congress.  The 800 Billion dollar bailout had constituents calling and writting 100 against to 1 for the bailout.  Our incompetent congress people didn't know they are representing the people and voted in favor of the Banksters.  What a batch of owned  and paid for politicians.

So you see it doesn't matter what the people want, it's what the banksters want.  Certainly they didn't want to share the TARP money, that was the big problem.
r we there yet?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 6:53pm
hi LaRo ..Panera could use some... I'm tired of broccoli cheese soup.  Have they no imagination for Winter soups or new hot drinks?

Congress wants no one to fail.. gotta love their generous nature... they are in a faint over who not to miff off lest they anger any particular Corporate Benefactor.

GMC can't fail, they are tied to other big Corps..  (think steel, etc.)  or think metallurgical Coal which Citigroup just bougt. :)

Citigroup Global Markets also said if the global financial crisis continued to curtail steel demand, annual contract price negotiations would be delayed and there could be more lasting shutdowns at steel plants.

"Steel production cuts will push coking coal into deep and persisting surplus," said Alan Heap and Alex Tonks, who are global commodities strategists for Citigroup. "We expect coking coal prices to fall 50 percent to $150 per tonne next year."

What a good time to buy...are they remembering the Govt. wants to repair bridges?...last I knew they used steel to do that.

wikipedia says-

Citigroup is also a heavy contributor to left of center political causes.[43]

On 24 November 2008 the U.S. government announced a massive bailout of Citigroup, designed to rescue the company from bankruptcy while giving the government a major say in its operations.

The Treasury Department, the Federal Reserve and the FDIC will cover 90% of the losses on its $335-billion portfolio after Citigroup absorbs the first $29 billion in losses.[44] In return the bank will give Washington $27 billion of preferred shares and warrants to acquire stock. The government will obtain wide powers over banking operations.

Pretty solid...

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 6:58pm
is the recession the reason my gas prices got so low?
oh and actually whats a recession composed of? like what happens, back in high school we didnt go too indepth about it and i havent taken econ yet in college maybe my 2nd year.
are we near another depression?
thanx for answers
-Hachi =^_^=
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 7:52pm
http://www.hsdent.com/free-downloads/

worth watching the video
r we there yet?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 12:11am

They aim to make a profit from the investments by using a range of sophisticated investment strategies.

(Not Much More Sophisticated/Ethical Than Madoff's Ponzi Scheme)

Please read article here-
source-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7695472.stm

Hedge funds 'facing credit storm' 

excerpt-

The Bank says hedge funds have just had one of their worst ever quarters
The Bank of England has warned that the hedge fund industry could be the next big victim of the credit crunch.

Hedge funds might be being forced to sell off their assets as they are finding it harder to attract the funds they need to invest, the Bank said.

It said that a growing number of the hedge funds' existing investors were pulling out their cash.

Hedge funds are a specific type of private investment fund that typically attracts wealthy private investors.

They aim to make a profit from the investments by using a range of sophisticated investment strategies.

'Worst quarter'

The Bank's latest Financial Stability Report said hedge funds had just had "one of their worst quarters on record", and were having to sell off their assets.

Some hedge funds will continue to be very successful, but there is going to be less hedge funds, we have already started on that process

Bob McKee, Independent Strategy

Working for a hedge fund

Bob McKee, chief economist at research group Independent Strategy, said a growing number of hedge funds were already having to close down.

"We are either seeing hedge funds closing down, or investors are starting to redeem their investments," said Mr McKee.

"In addition, the returns on their investments are now really appalling - some aren't making any money for their clients.

"As a result, some hedge funds are now in considerable difficulty, particularly those who have leveraged [effectively borrowed] greatly.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:24am
The DOW is at 8200.  This could be a rough week before the inauguration.   Let's hope the bottom doesn't fall out.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 10:35pm
Dow ended up at 7,850.41 today. Where do we go from here. Seems like we keep bouncing off that 8,000 mark. Last 2 days under 8000...is 7000 next? Any opinions? and why?
Melody
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 9:03am
MelodyatHome,many think that we are headed into possibly the greatest depression on record,other people believe that we are headed for a complete economic collapse,in the next 10 months and I do not know what that would mean. The best thing to do is to have you and your family prepared for a long period of tuff times no matter what causes it.---I am not an economic expert,I am just repeating things that I have heard,but I can tell you this,there are many very high ranking people in our government who are very scared,because I do not think that they know what is going to happen next either. ---remember that the last great depression produced people like Hitler and Stalin,so there is no telling what this one could produce.This has been coming for some time. I have told many people before the Presidential election was over,that no one would want that job if they knew what might be happening in the future,because who ever is in that position,will be blamed for what is going to happen and it is not their fault,but them and the party that they belong to will be hurt very badly for decades. This is still going to years to work itself out. ----These great depressions are usually followed by a world war,I do know enough about history to know this. So keep your suppies safe and plenty of them.Also keep enough for your family members that refuse to help themselves.Also,keep your family close,if you can.-----The economy usually follows the stock market by 6 months to 1 year. The stock market has already been in trouble for a long time and it is artifically propped up now by the government printing large amounts of money and this is bad also. So we are all in for a long and probably very bumpy and scary ride.It is going to get worse. there are already basically no jobs in the economy and many people have lost their jobs and there will be more. When all of these people run out of savings to pay their expenses and to buy food,it could get very scary. I live in a relativy remote area and we are not over populated,like the major cities. If I lived in a major city,I would be very,very scarred. Good luck to you and yours and remember to pray,because it is very possible that God may be our only hope. Johnray1
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 9:27am
Thanks Johnray1,
I watched a really good vidoe on youtube last night...8 parts..if I can find it I post here. Not sure if it was from the History channel...I don't think so but something like that. It was about the Great depression and how we have learned nothing from it and we are doing it all over again. I love history as well and yes a war could be next...Scarey stuff.
I know folks like Peter Schiff, Gerald Celente, Jim Rogers and many more are saying what you just aid.
Melody
Melody
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 9:49am
OK here is the link to the video I was talking about above about the Great Depression and how history repeasts itself...This is just 1 of 8...you can watch the rest of the videos on the same page...I think off to the right if you put your cursor over the video it will say which one it is...
THis is a MUST watch.
Melody
Melody
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 3:36pm

This was one of my fav threads...  Thanks for the link I will want to watch it all.

Johnray you are terrifying moi as usual :)  I hope it will only be a deep recession because they say the market will go back up after they recapitalize the banks next week. And everyone is putting a few thousand on the inexpensive stocks ...going long on them.As W. Buffet says to do.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 4:26pm
Mary08,
Yes watch the video and I'm afraid JohnRay may be right. While you are at Youtube. Search
Peter Schiff
Gerald Celente
Jim Rogers
Just to name a few...and do the advanced search to view what they have they have said just this past week. You will be terrified. History does repeat itself. I remember learning that in 7th grade...I remember the teacher telling us...if you want to know what will happen in the future look at history. Sure enough this has been true over hundreds/thousands of years in civilizations.
Tell me what you think Mary08 after you view the videos.
Melody:O)
Melody
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2009 at 5:20pm
Mary08,I sincerely hope that you are right and that I am wrong.Johnray1
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 6:45am
Dow Jones      7649.54      -200.87      
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 1:44pm

Dow 7552.60 -297.81

Are we been forced into a next WW, via economic collapse? You need desperate people to do desperate things

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 1:52pm
I think everyone is getting a bit desperate. I pray to God we don't have a WW3...at least not anytime soon...it will happen eventually. We need to prepare our children/grandchildren for that day if not ourselves.
Melody
Melody
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 5:02pm
Global economic crisis called biggest U.S. security threat

Dennis%20Blair
Susan Walsh / Associated Press
Dennis Blair, U.S. director of national intelligence, testifies before Congress. He said the global economic crisis is the most serious security threat facing the United States.
Dennis Blair, Obama's new director of national intelligence, tells Congress that the crisis could topple governments, trigger waves of refugees and undermine allies' ability to help.
By Greg Miller
February 13, 2009
Reporting from Washington -- The nation's new intelligence chief warned Thursday that the global economic crisis is the most serious security peril facing the United States, threatening to topple governments, trigger waves of refugees and undermine the ability of America's allies to help in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

The economic collapse "already looms as the most serious one in decades, if not in centuries," said Dennis C. Blair, director of national intelligence, in his first appearance before Congress as the top intelligence official in the Obama administration.

Blair's focus on the economic meltdown represents a sharp contrast from the testimony of his predecessors in recent years, who devoted most of their attention in the annual threat assessment hearing to the issues of terrorism and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Blair's conclusions are likely to bolster President Obama's case for swift action on a nearly $800-billion stimulus package nearing final approval in Congress.

"Time is probably our greatest threat," Blair said. "The longer it takes for the recovery to begin, the greater the likelihood of serious damage to U.S. strategic interests."

He said that one-quarter of the world's nations had already experienced low-level instability attributed to the economic downturn, including shifts in power. He cited anti-government demonstrations in Europe and Russia, and he warned that much of Latin America and the former Soviet satellite states lacked sufficient cash to cope with the spreading crisis.

"The most likely potential fallout for U.S. interests will involve allies and friends not being able to fully meet their defense and humanitarian obligations," Blair said. "Potential refugee flows from the Caribbean could also impact homeland security."

The decline in oil prices in recent months might benefit consumers in the short term and "put the squeeze on the adventurism of producers like Iran and Venezuela," Blair said, but he warned that prolonged price drops could result in a supply crunch if they lead to cuts or delays in investment in oil development and infrastructure.

Economic crises in recent decades have tended to be confined to specific regions -- such as the Asian financial meltdown of the 1990s -- meaning affected countries could rebuild by focusing on exporting more of their goods.

But "countries will not be able to export their way out of this one because of the global nature" of the crisis, Blair said.

U.S. intelligence analysts fear there could be a backlash against American efforts to promote free markets because the crisis was triggered by the United States.

"We're generally held to be responsible," Blair said.

Blair's written testimony also looks at other security threats. The United States' most dangerous enemy remains Al Qaeda, he said, but he noted that the terrorist network "is less capable and effective than it was a year ago" because of the toll U.S. missile strikes and other measures have taken on the militants' sanctuary in Pakistan.

Some of Blair's most pessimistic language was reserved for Afghanistan, where the security situation has deteriorated substantially because of rampant government corruption and a resurgent Taliban, which carried out fresh attacks in the nation's capital this week.

As a result, Blair said, the upcoming Afghan presidential election "will present a greater security challenge" than the most recent campaign, in 2004, and he added that "insurgents probably will make a concerted effort to disrupt it."

Blair's comments came as the Obama administration is close to a decision on sending tens of thousands of additional troops to Afghanistan.

On Iran, Blair said that the Islamic nation "is clearly developing all the components of a deliverable nuclear weapons program" and that only an internal political decision might prevent the country from crossing the weapons threshold.

Otherwise, he said, "they could have a weapon as early as 2010, but it might take them until 2015."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-security-threat13-2009feb13,0,3376918.story

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 5:22pm
The answer to a depression before has always been  to go to war. This has been our solution all the way back to the Great Depression which World War 2 pulled us out of and then produced the biggest boom in the economy since the 20s. http://www.worldwar-2.net/  1939-1945 -

This may be premature, but one might think, how in the world did we go from a
Depression to having the money to participate in a World War?  War puts people to work. They labor and earn money building bombs, bullets, tanks, and whatever instruments of death and destruction,, and the sale of arms to other countries, has been the essence of our war based economy since World War I actually even before the 20s. Seriously, what happened before the Roaring Twenties (as my father who lived during them at 7-17 years old during it, called them) - World War I. (1914-1919) http://www.worldwar-1.net/

We cannot afford to police the world. We cannot afford to try and build democracies at such a huge price. There are some things which have existed for almost a thousand years, and one of them is extremist religion. In fact, that has existed, war and warriors driven by religion, counting the Egyptians and their pantheon of Gods, for 5000 years. Everyone, but the dying soldiers and those who grieve their loss, profit from a war.  Now we are poised to  go to war with Iran if they attack Israel, while courting Asia so they will not interfere because they are economically dependent, and money talks.  The Russians may interfere. And the missiles that some of us were around, up close and personal,  in the 60s are still in the silos and enough of them left to pretty much finish us off. When blowing up a few buildings threw our nation into a spin, God help us all if we are attacked on our home ground by our enemies.  It was not (Arabic: أسامة بن محمد بن عوض بن لادن transliteration: Usāmah bin Muḥammad bin `Awaḍ bin Lādin's (while this is written in Arabic it will not display on this site correctly) goal to attack America. It was to destroy it economically.  That, as has been just stated by one of the most significant figures on security has just stated. Many of us have been posting this for years. The target of our enemy, and our greatest advantage -our economy. Without money, we are not a powerful nation, we will not be a powerful nation.

It is a sad commentary on America- but the prosperity of our country was spawned in the Revolutionary War against the Brits, and then once more fortunes were made during the Civil War.  Cries of patriotism and rights were echoed to the click of coins and sales of arms and fields filled with the dead. I sit in my office, in a building, built over the site of a Civil War battle - a serious one - and below me... there are still the restless stirs and whispers of those fallen and now long forgotten except for a single bronze plaque barely three feet long.

I remember during Vietnam, we were all concerned about getting orders to go to Vietnam, as I did, headed to Ft. Bragg, but those were prosperous times. Gas at one time was 28 cents a gallon and later in college 40 cents for Shell premium.  Some never got over what they saw there, or did, or were forced to do.

Nothing unites a country like a war, the only problem is, no one is attacking the United States. Not in the old fashioned bomb Pearl Harbor Mode.  The problem is this is not the 40s, and we have nuclear weapons. World War III, which I have written about, can be that close if things get out of hand.

A nuclear war will ruin the planet. We cannot continue involving ourselves in region proxy wars before things go sour and we wind up launching and being nose to nose with the Russians or Chinese. Iran is going nuclear. They have enough material for a rather large bomb, and they can outsource the technology and the hardware, and have the missiles to fire it.  A nuclear Middle East will try to toast Israel. There is no doubt. After years of being bombed and watching the jets sweep over them in the sky and bomb their cities, and not only military targets, but some missing the mark- well we won't go there, as they fired upward with rifles and on the ground with grenade launchers. They had to fight Tomahawk Missiles with other tactics, hiding, dispersing, guerrilla warfare when there is no war front, but  hot zones.  It was like my Indian ancestors fighting the Winchester rifle with bows and arrows or spears. http://www.american-indian-art.com/spears.html

We have grown so sophisticated with our Stealth, as Russia has its Plasma, that to cut this short... this time a war would not do it. Bring us back from financial crisis. Like Vietnam, instead of a shot of economic adrenalin, it became an economic vampire, draining us of much needed resources and the resounding truth is - we are in the 21st century. The same rules do not apply anymore.

We are so extended, so huge, so many people, you cannot possible apply rules from the 30s to our economy, our people. We are global. We are dependent on the very enemies we prepare to fight.

Yes, today we are just above 7100 in the Dow Jones. That was the line wasn't it?

Mixing economics with Bird Flu - we cannot take the hit in our health care and sanitation because really- a depression would set the stage for a Pandemic in the U.S.  What is the greatest threat to national security? Bad choices.  Bad decisions. Inner circles making money by mixing banking with government, the U.S. essentially failing to monitor and control dangerous economic practices from powerful campaign contributing corporations who ruled our nation by proxy for eight years. Yes, with our new president it is time for a change. More of the same will not do.

This will effect our health care system, our ability to prepare, and all over the world the chances of many waves of Pandemics will increase. Imagine a 3rd world country getting poorer and rampant with disease.

Many of us have not invested in the stock market or even have sizable investments in anything, except maybe our house, if we have one.

These are the money games of the rich and powerful. I and my family or neither rich or powerful. We struggle to survive.

But our jobs, that which keeps us in a house and not homeless and refugees... that is something most of us can understand.

Albert, you have certainly been on the mark on this one. There are tough times for the Stock Market  ahead and sad and cliche though it might be - not if, but when.

How ironic we have been prepping for a Pandemic, and now some of us will be able to use that water, food, and other supplies to survive a possible Depression.

I love America, almost as much as I love God, or my family, or anything else dear to me. I want to see us do better- I want better news - and most of all I want to see us become united as we once were against the greatest enemy of all - bad decisions and actions which lessen the dignity and honor of our democracy, the constitution and the rights given to us by it,  and what could be an example, which would make other nations deeply considering joining us in becoming a democracy; not by force, but by prosperity.

Medclinician

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 9:16pm
Med, two observations:

the U.S. essentially failing to monitor and control dangerous economic practices from powerful campaign contributing corporations who ruled our nation by proxy for eight years. Yes, with our new president it is time for a change. More of the same will not do.

1. And anything has been different in the latest president? What about the one before W? No, he was corrupt as hell too. Before him? nope. Guess we're fresh out! We just gave a Trillion dollars to these a-holes so they could pay off the campaign contributors. At least in the last presidency they tried to hide it somewhat. This time around they're giving away your money and telling you they're doing it! They've all been getting payed off for years.

History did not begin the day W took office. Those campaign contributing companies have been in control for far more than eight years man. A change in Prez isn't going to make any difference., especially one steeped in the Chicago political machine where payola and scams are par for the course.

2. A nuclear armed Iran or even were all Islamic countries so armed would not burn Israel. Israel's got nukes too and will absolutely use them to cleanse the Earth of the cancer Islam has become, and the Muslims know it. Mutual assured destruction my friend.

I fervently hope that some of those coward Muslims *DARE* to rain fire over Tel Aviv. Ten seconds later our little problem with extremist Islam would be taken care of instantaneously and permanantly. It would be quite a loss for the good people of Israel to come to that end, but it'd be fun to see which way the Muslims would be praying when what they used to pray toward A. No longer exists, and B. is a glass bowl ten miles in diameter.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 9:29pm

If they gave all those trillions to us americans instead of the banks we all can pay off  our homes, bills, and start fresh...just a thought:O)

Melody
Melody
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 10:22pm
you got yourself into it - you can get yourself out of it

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 10:49pm
Kilt2, were u talking to me? I wasn't sure.
My point was the govt is using OUR money...give it back to the people...dont' give it to the banks...it is not helping.
It doesn't matter if a person has bills or no bills..each person in this country should be getting that money back...not the banks.:O)if they are going to give it to anyone.
Melody
Melody
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 11:17pm
not you personaly - but to all people in debt trouble

I believe in personal responsibility

if you get yourself in debt - its your decision so get yourself out of it

you doesnt mean you per se - it means anyone  in trouble has to take care of themselves and not rely on the government or family or friends - take care of yourself

thats why i prep - because its my responsibility to take care of myself

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 11:23pm
Kilt2 I agree....we can't count anyone...especiallly not the govt..but what they are doing is sooooo wrong...taking our money and throwing it around like they are.
I will say there are some cases I know where people become totally disabled for the long run and prepping is not even an option. It is very sad.
Yes, we who can...should prepare the best we can. There are many people as I mentioned who ended up having heart attacks, cancer and just the health bills alone wiped out all the prepping they may have done...so I can't say they were not being repsonsible. They may have had income and food,etc...but when you are talking hospital bills for things like cancer...no one can really prepare for that...can they? If so, I'd like to know how and average person can prepare for something like that. Those kind of bills can wipe out anyone. Scarey stuff.
Melody
Melody
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 7:52pm
My belief is......The downside is 6700 for the Dow. Then things slowly will get better. It will take time though. One and one half years.... Everything is going to be ok everyone. Hang in there.....Wink
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 6:07am
We might dip under 7000 for awhile today.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 6:38am
I see that smile W. B.  ....  I'm hoping people can afford some of these low stock prices.
The volume out there is wild...
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 6:42am
Originally posted by waterboy waterboy wrote:

My belief is......The downside is 6700 for the Dow.

I would say closer to 6200, or possibly even worse.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 9:22pm
Yes, my husband befor he left us for a better place said that 6500 was going to be near the bottom.

What a mess!
LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 10:02am
I must really be out in left field, I was thinking under 5000 for the dow.  My reasoning is:  The fed has predicted the crisis will end in 09, but they have been wrong with every prediction so far.  The pres is going to cut the budget or deficit in half, fat chance.  We need to fund the banks again, probably looking at a 1.5 trillion dollar give away program to try to keep them afloat for a few more months.  We aren't anywhere near out of the woods and everything that has been tried so far doesn't work.
r we there yet?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 10:15am
Under 5000 is probably a pretty good guess.  My guess is anywhere from 3500 - 6000.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 10:18pm
LaRo, I dont' think the govt really is predicting it to get better at end of 09...I think they are just "saying" this to keep people calmed down and not to get into a panic.
Everyone I speak of is in a verge of panic.
The library said they will no longer carry bags. They won't let you take anything out unless you are paid up and can't order new books...they are asking folks for money.
Everyone is worried about losing their jobs..if they haven't lost it yet they know of a friend/family that has....so it has everyone on edge.
The housing market is at a standstill it seems...no one can sell their home so they can buy a new one...or move for another job without going into foreclosure.
If they lost a job they can't get a new one...at least not what they were making...hence not being able to keep up with the mortgage, car payment, credit cards, etc..
It's a vicious circle. The govt. to me...seems to keep saying these things to keep people from "freaking out"...
They first kept saying..."no, we aren't in a recession"...they kept repeating that for I don't know how long...They kep sying it is not so bad...they will keep saything this or things will get better soon to keep the cattle happy. Just my opinion.
Melody
Melody
LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2009 at 7:25am
Melody as far as the gov saying things to keep the sheeple calmed down is concerned, I really believe they don't have a clue.  Just look at their track record.  A year ago they were saying we hit the bottom of the downturn in the stock market, then came along the bank give away program, interest at 0%, deflation on a massive scale, purchasing toxic waste derivitives thru the Fed (and not being transparent about it), today totally cooking the books on how large unemployment is, always trying to make things like the GDP look rosyer then it really is.  Taking a whole year before they admit we are in a recession.  We aren't children, we can handle the truth easier then we can out and out lies.

Let's take a look at what is going on today, unemployment is way higher then the gov will admit, deflation is out of sight in the real estate market.  Your 401K has crashed, the stock market has crashed.  TARP 1 is a failure, TARP 2 will go down in flames.  Inflation is on the horizon, or is it really hyper inflation?  The whole thing is out of control, washington should go on holiday and stay there until the economy turns itself around, they are part of the problem.  If we are in a depression, how long before, if ever, will it take to admit this truth?  What is the true unemployment figure?  How much inflation is projected to come our way, you can't continue to print money out of thin air and expect no inflation.

here's a clip from jim rogers:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfHAkFqPA4&eurl=http://www.jsmineset.com/
r we there yet?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 9:03am
Experts are now predicting under 5000 for the DOW.    This is going to get real ugly.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 9:27am
I agree Al.

There are technical supports, some were already passed, at various points on the way down, but all seem to have evaporated. I figure we'll hit right around 4000 or so before we see anything, and thats if gov stays out of the way.

All the big boys are already out of the market anyway. we're relying on day traders now, and they passed a new gas tax in the stimulus bill. We could go even lower than my prediction.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 10:31am

Watch This Video>>>

Cramer: Nationalization Would Crush America

Tue 02/24/09 12:59 PM EST

VIDEO

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 11:38am

What Are We Hearing?

The Govt. Is In This Until things wind down.

(Market get a clue)

AIG's Liddy Is Working For 1.00 a year...

The Market Is Nuts...

Many are riding it out.

AIG Is Refusing To Sell Good Assets At Fire Sale Prices!

(and protecting     Retirements,    Annuities,    Insurance ( involving everyone)

And The Free Fall Be Da*ned...     (it does come back)

2/3 in .... rest in cash?  

(...bought some cheap stuff...just in case?)

Do we want to time getting back in?

Here are some excellent Videos to watch...

(we need to see our way through it)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 12:17pm
Warren Buffet feels like a mosquito in a nudist colony?

take a look at this Volume... on C ......... it hit 1.00  and began to rise.

Volume: 866,970,439
Avg Vol (3m): 251,702,000
Market Cap: 7.14B
P/E (ttm): N/A
EPS (ttm): -3.883
Div & Yield: 0.04 (2.70%)

• Suspending Mark-to-Market Accounting: A Tale of Two Cows ...  

Mar 1, 2009 ... It's a fable about suspending mark-to-market accounting... from ... 2009; March 2009 Investing Outlook: Keep Your Powder Dry Mar 01, 2009 ...
    seekingalpha.com/article/123314-suspending-mark-to-market-accounting-a-tale-of-two-cows - 44k - Cached - Similar pages
  • Suspend Mark-to-Market? | IlliniPundit.com  

Suspend Mark-to-Market? Posted March 2nd, 2009 at 07:27 AM by B is for Business. in. 2010 Election. A quick summary of mark-to-market accounting: ...
    illinipundit.com/2009/03/02/suspend-mark-market - 6 hours ago - Similar pages
  • How to Fix the Financial Crisis Suspend Mark to Market Accounting ...  

Feb 13, 2009 ... Sunday, March 1, 2009, 1:08PM ET - U.S. Markets Closed. .... Ryding says "temporarily" suspend m2ma (mark-to-market)... where was he when ...
    finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/175140/How-to-Fix-the-Financial-Crisis-Suspend-Mark-to-Market-Accounting?ticker... - 58k - Cached - Similar pages
  • Economist's View: Should Mark-to-Market Asset Valuation be Suspended?  

"Suspending mark-to-market accounting, in essence, suspends reality. .... we won't really know what they have on their books until March, 2009, or later. ...
    economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2008/10/should-mark-to.html - 149k - Cached - Similar pages
  • Suspending Mark-to-Market Accounting: A Tale of Two Cows | The ...  

March 1, 2009 ... It’s a fable about suspending mark-to-market accounting… from "Clusterstock," a site I’d never heard of before someone sent me the link. ...
    www.eminimaster.com/blog/2009/03/suspending-mark-to-market-accounting-a-tale-of-two-cows/ - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
  • Don’t Nationalize; Suspend Mark-to-Market | Chicago Daily Observer  

Suspending mark-to-market accounting could fix major problems at no cost. .... This doesn’t make any sense. # 23 February 2009 at 9:58 pm ...
    www.cdobs.com/archive/featured/don’t-nationalize-suspend-mark-to-market,2898 - 46k - Cached - Similar pages
  • Suspend 'Mark-to-Market' Accounting Rule? - Two Way Street with ...  

Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009. Suspend 'Mark-to-Market' Accounting Rule? Posted By: Allen Wastler .... Market Insider: Recession the Only Thing Roaring in March ...
    www.cnbc.com/id/29366010 - 101k - Cached - Similar pages
  • GMANews.TV - BSP asked to suspend mark to market directive ...  

Breaking News ». Updated: 7:20 PM, March 2, 2009. Business · Home > Business > Economy. BSP asked to suspend mark to market directive. 03/02/2009 | 05:35 PM ... The said accounting rule is also seen to reduce banks’ ability to lend to ...
    www.gmanews.tv/story/151014/BSP-asked-to-suspend-mark-to-market-directive - 9 hours ago - Similar pages
  • Bill Donius: Mark to Market Accounting -- Time Out?  

Feb 2, 2009 ... PostMarch 2, 2009 ... Mark to Market accounting was ushered in in the 1980's as a solution .... I see no reason to suspend mark to market. ...
    www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-donius/mark-to-market-accounting_b_163371.html - 94k - Cached - Similar pages

•  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
      Share Topic