Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - OT: looks like tough times ahead for Stock Market?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

OT: looks like tough times ahead for Stock Market?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 11:46am
This doesn't sound good. I just keep hearing more and more layoffs.
CNBC

IBM Preparing For US Layoffs in Services Unit

• Wednesday March 25, 2009, 2:38 pm EDT

IBM announced on Wednesday it will lay off a large number of U.S. employees in its global-businesses services unit and many of the positions will be transferred to IBM employees in India, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The number of jobs that will be affected was not reported.

The planned domestic layoff is a said to be a sign that more companies are turning toward cheaper Asian labor in order to slash costs and navigate through the global recession.

Earlier this year, IBM (NYSE: IBM) announced layoffs of 4,600 employees in the software, sales, semiconductor and finance groups.

IBM's shares rose slightly in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 11:53am
Citi will be ok....down the road.  still a good buy.  have you checked the history of splits?   Don't be afraid of AIG... Buffet loves Ins. (people need it)  IBM will hire back... as they are doing well, they just like to have the usual good $ and make cuts across the board as needed to keep all in place.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 11:57am

Hi mary08:O) Yes IBM will be OK but not all those poor folks losing their jobs...well, not at first. I just really feel for all these folks getting laid off. Those are more homes that could "possibly" end up in foreclosure if these folks don't get a new job...which is difficult to do these days...or at least getting a job making the money they were making to pay the bills that they already have like the large mortgage.

Melody:O)
Melody
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 12:08pm

File:Paternoster%20Square.jpg

London stock exchange

Warren Buffet

Even when he's not on TV or writing op-eds, Warren Buffett can't stay out of the news. The past week has seen attention focused on Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway on (at least) three fronts:

and

All the crooks ran off early....

DeSantis claims to have had no involvement in credit default swaps and says the same is true of most current AIGFP employees.

"Most of those responsible have left the company and have conspicuously escaped the public outrage," he writes.

(In a related note, Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal has subpoenaed 14 current and former AIG execs in his probe of the affair.)
  • DeSantis plans to donate the after-tax proceeds of his bonus, about $742,000, to charity. "This is not a tax-deduction gimmick," he writes. "I simply believe that I at least deserve to dictate how my earnings are spent, and do not want to see them disappear back into the obscurity of AIG's or the federal government's budget."
  •  
  •  

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 12:32pm

Congress: Shortsighted About Financials
                        ...................................................................

by: Rick Biggs March 25, 2009

Some numbers: the government is receiving 5% annually on its $20 billion investment in Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs preferred. That works out to $1 billion in dividend income per year. To fund the investment, the government pays less than 2% on duration-matched obligations. Spread income on the Goldman-Morgan investment alone, therefore, comes to $600 million. Administrative costs are de minimus, and let’s assume the associated warrants are worth nothing.

So the income to the government on its preferreds to the brokers alone is enough to fund the notorious AIG bonuses nearly four times over. Yet the government’s outrage over those bonuses is a key reason Goldman wants to repay the investment early. Does something not add up here?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/127846-congress-shortsighted-about-financials?source=yahoo

Albert View Drop Down
    Admin
    Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 3:19pm
    I'm  probably going to buy a 1000 shares of AIG tomorrow along with a 1000 shares of Citigroup, and I'm going to hold it for the next two years to see what happens.   I'll let you all know what I buy in at.  

Albert View Drop Down
    Admin
    Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 3:27pm
    Originally posted by MelodyAtHome MelodyAtHome wrote:

Waterboy, why do you say that? I'm sure you right just wondering if you had some info that I haven't heard yet? Thanks.
    Melody
    Originally posted by waterboy waterboy wrote:

Beware next week... Dow 6350....Its going to be awful....Angry

Waterboy is hearing from Ragingbull that a big a "dump" is coming, which could be correct, but not within the week.   The Ragingbull posters are a fairly good indicator at times. 

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 3:34pm
    Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

...buy; ... a 1000 shares of AIG, ... a 1000 shares of Citigroup, ...  
    REVIEW:  ...Shares of Citigroup, once the nation's most powerful bank, hit an all time low of 97 cents on Thursday. It is a 95.56% drop from the same period last year. The bank's 52-week high was $27.35 on April 28, 2008. According to WSJ's Market Watch, the stock reached an all-time high of $57 a share on Dec. 18, 2006.
    "I think we're going to look back at these few days at the end of the first quarter, and in hindsight say, 'this is when officials turned the corner,'" said Marc Chandler, head of currency strategy at Brown Brothers Harriman.
    He also pointed to a break in the frenzy against AIG  [AIG  1.20    -0.19  (-13.67%)   ] ; and financial firms in general, as Congress slowed down its efforts to tax bonus pay. "The rage that built up over AIG allowed Geithner to announce this plan that's very favorable to banks," he said....
    By: AFX | 25 Mar 2009 | 04:38 PM ET function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt)
    NEW YORK, March 25, 2009   (Reuters) -
    New York state's Dormitory Authority, one of the nation's biggest municipal bond issuers with $37 billion of debt, on Wednesday said it chose a new underwriting syndicate.

"Our new panel of underwriters significantly expands opportunity for firms owned by minority members and women and gives the Authority access to the world-class skill and talent we need to execute bonds deals for our clients," Authority Executive Director Paul Williams said in a statement.

The list of senior managers includes: Bank of America Banc of America Securities LLC, Barclays Capital , Citigroup, DEPFA First Albany Securities LLC , Goldman Sachs & Co, JPMorgan Chase, Loop Capital Markets LLC, Morgan Stanley, MR Beal & Company, Ramirez & Co., Inc., Royal Bank of Canada Capital Markets , Siebert Brandford Shank & Co., LLC and Wachovia Bank   http://www.cnbc.com/id/29882601/

BRIEF-AIG International names new Chairman
    By: AFX | 25 Mar 2009 | 05:18 PM ET function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633736127330000000');
    setDefault('cnbc_textbody');

March 25 (Reuters) - AIG: * Rodney Martin Jr. to be named chairman of AIG International life and retirement services; Edmund s.w. tse to retire * Says Mark wilson named president and CEO of American International assurance company limited ...

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 3:39pm

I'm  probably going to buy a 1000 shares of AIG tomorrow along with a 1000 shares of Citigroup, and I'm going to hold it for the next two years to see what happens.   I'll let you all know what I buy in at.  

hi...  :)

people may want to read the posts on     Citi... Banks...and News

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 3:44pm

More on stock lingo....

very basic stuff for newbies-

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2009 at 8:37am

Compare the two below....  don't take online info as gospel.  Because many want to sell you a service.

I'm new to this. Can I sell or buy stock by myself?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to buy stocks, you need the assistance of a stock broker since you
    cannot just phone up a company and ask to buy their shares yourself.
    For inexperienced investors, there are two basic categories of brokers to
    choose from - a full-service broker or a online/discount broker.

http://www.dripinvestor.com/FAQ/drip_faq.asp

Buying Stocks Without A Broker

Using Dividend Reinvestment Plans

Dividend Reinvestment Plans (DRIPs), offered by about 1000 companies and
    closed-end funds, are programs which allow current shareholders to purchase
    stock directly from the company, bypassing the broker and brokerage commissions.
    Investors purchase shares with dividends that the company reinvests for them in
    additional shares. Most DRIPs also permit investors to make voluntary cash payments
    directly into the plans to purchase shares.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 11:29am

Current World Market Indices Status  As of: 3/27/2009 11:27:04 AM PST
    Dow Jones 7792.11 -132.45 DAX 4203.55 -55.82
    NASDAQ 1555.61 -31.39 FTSE 100 3898.85 -26.35
    S&P 500 819.63 -1.59 HANG SENG 14119.50 +10.52
    S&P /TSX 8849.25 -0.163 NIKKEI 8626.97 -0.11

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 12:53pm

Dow   VALUE      7,796.41
     3/27/2009  

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a price-weighted average of 30 blue-chip stocks that

are generally the leaders in their industry. It has been a widely followed indicator of the

stock market since October 1, 1928.

Dollar, Yen Gain

as Euro,
    Pound Weaken on
    (Europe's) Deepening Recession

By Oliver Biggadike and Whitney Kisling
    March 27 (Bloomberg)

The dollar and yen rose as traders fled the euro and pound on evidence
    Europe's recession is deepening.

Albert View Drop Down
    Admin
    Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 4:56am
    Looks like the crash will continue today.  Some are saying that we will soon test the old lows of 6500..   The dump has begun....   I'll admit it, I sold off my Citi and AIG yesterday just before the meltdown started.    Once we hit the real bottom, I'll jump back in.    There are going to be a lot of bargains when this crash ends, but it could be a few days. 

Lookout below.....

Albert View Drop Down
    Admin
    Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 6:25am
    As the market crashes,  here are some possible numbers and entry points for some decent stocks. 

Target Prices       
    GE:                    $7.50
    BofA:                 $4.50
    Citigroup:          $1.50
    AIG:                       .70  
    IBM:                  $85.00
    ATT:                  $22.25
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 7:35am
    I expect a bumpy ride, am not looking for a crash. We own it, things will eventually improve.
    I am not into watching it every day. I just buy and hold on financials. One could go
    nuts day to day  in this market... I have researched a few and will talk about them

on the AIG/Citi thread in a few days..after I buy.

(Cramer bought Citi)

Albert View Drop Down
    Admin
    Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 10:02am

Yeah..  My numbers are obviously too low because the market isn't crashing, and it's actually doing good. 

Cramer bought Citi?? 

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 10:15am

Yes :)     You can watch his videos on....   www.thestreet.com

It is common to not advertise the stock until after it's bought (to keep purchase price low)

A while back on this thread I mentioned that people may want to buy ....at that point, in

my opinion, Jim was dissing the banks.   (Except for JP Morgan and Bear)
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 3:42pm
    Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Yeah..  My numbers are obviously too low because the market isn't crashing, and it's actually doing good. 

Cramer bought Citi?? 

Okay-I'm getting one of those- whatever's that my wife so hates that we may be headed for some downtimes.. worse than before.

Bluebird is a pragmatist. She does not believe in most things supernatural - which includes my grandmother's vivid dreams and legendary precognition. She does not believe in the "Shine" or when I tell her I just have this gut level feeling. Of course, I told her in 20 minutes Skye was a reality. She went through 8 pregnancy tests and looked at 8 pink lines before she would believe.

So, as an outsider unschooled in the mystic arts of Wall Street I am watching the Dow creepoing down and I am thinking.. we were warned that someday 7000 would seem like Dow heaven. Someday at 4000 it really would seem like heaven.

Yes, it is fun times for the high rollers as we bounce between low low 7000 Dows and 8000- time to make money. During the Great Depression some made millions.

So- what say the Wall Street Seers- is it going to be bull or bust?

Obama did his mini thing- and they are waiting in the wings to crank out a trillion more dollars. Inflation is afraid to happen.

How does it look from here until the end of June. Are we about to have a big slide- or will it just stay stock market PMS for the next two months?

Just curious.

Medclinician
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 4:27pm
     they are waiting in the wings to crank out a trillion more dollars.

That kinda answers it :)

seriously, China has a lot of money....they are tossing it about and as soon as the US

Govt. and the banks stop firing at each other, and shape up... we will see some good returns.

Since China has the bucks and the people to Buy- I am going to step onto that wagon.

I have researched a stock that includes several countries, the US in not in the bunch.

All will be revealed ....  :)

ps...for a sec. I thought I saw Bluebird is pregnant..... turns out she's just practical.
    MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 6:47pm
    Mary08...that is so funny because I was reading so quickly I too thought bluebird was "pregnant" then I re-read and saw medclinician wrote "pragmatist"...lol:O)
    Melody
    Melody
    waterboy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 11:17am
    Here we go again maybe. Now we must prepare in lots of different areas. Our health and our wealth!
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 3:57pm
    hello W.B.  :)

I'm not sure what's ahead, but I'm open to ideas...like I said...I'm betting ... on Canada and China and the ol USA.

this sounds...good.

The United States, the world's largest economy, accounts for about 22 percent of global output, and China around 7 percent. The combined impact of the massive stimulus programs should make a difference, economists said, in cushioning a recession that appears to be bottoming out in the United States and some other countries.
    "At present, the world economy is at a critical moment of moving out of crisis and toward recovery," Wang said, speaking through a translator.

source

waterboy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 6:26am
    Good morning .. Futures are down. Maybe a down day today. Is "Schiller" right?
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 3:26am
    I think it's funny that we've been hearing that "We're at the bottom" since the middle of the year last year. Oh and confidence is up and we're saved! The politicians and bank economists are either idiots or are the problem. I just heard it again this morning on the BBC.
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 3:08pm

Mining ...green energy, biopharma... doing well for me.     (India, Canada, China)
    waterboy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 10:02am
    Smile Hey it's a good day!
    4=laro View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 7:16pm
    I keep seeing more and more businesses going belly up, I do not know how it is where you live but around here, the shopping centers are emptying out, Office space has the same problem and around 38%of the office buildings are either in foreclosure or behind on payments.  Large condo complexes are finish and no one is closing on any of the units, so they sit empty.  The crazy thing is i still see condos, new shopping areas and some new home construction going on.  And that is the report from the front line in Vegas.  Of course, if I was reporting from Washington, I would put a different spin on this and tell you we hit bottom and we are in the middle of a recovery and it is raining outside and a rainbow is over the complete city.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 9:30pm
    I agree with you 4=laro. I also see some fairly big businesses in our area closing. Small companies are closing also. So where is all this recovery. The talking heads on CNBC said that 550k that lost jobs last month was not bad...unless you were one of the 550K.

This country is in a big mess...today everything gold, oil, markets, treasuries,all went up. So I guess everything is great until the next big FALL. Oh well!
    David_R. View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 5:25pm
    Want to read something funny? Or is it pathetically unbelievable?
    Associated Press had a story today saying that Saudi Arabia expects financial aid if most of the world stops using oil! The IEA says that OPEC countries will make more money in the next few years but SA says that that is a lie and that they will lose $19 million dollars and will need aid.
    The Saudi government has not contributed any aid in the past to any cause except that which promotes Islam. They spend millions building mosques all around the world and they call that international aid. I'm sure all the starving people in Sudan (a moslem country) sure do appreciate all those mosques, especially the Christians.
    Altering the law is unlikely to be sufficient for change in the presence of a pervasive culture of corruption.
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 5:35pm
    Originally posted by David_R. David_R. wrote:

Want to read something funny? Or is it pathetically unbelievable?
    Associated Press had a story today saying that Saudi Arabia expects financial aid if most of the world stops using oil! The IEA says that OPEC countries will make more money in the next few years but SA says that that is a lie and that they will lose $19 million dollars and will need aid.
    The Saudi government has not contributed any aid in the past to any cause except that which promotes Islam. They spend millions building mosques all around the world and they call that international aid. I'm sure all the starving people in Sudan (a moslem country) sure do appreciate all those mosques, especially the Christians.

Right on man. Good post.
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 9:54pm

"This is very serious for us," he continued. "We are in the process of diversifying our economy but this will take a long time. We don't have too many resources."

source-
    -aid-if-world-cuts-oil-dependence-to-stop-climate-change-63744392.html

I remember watching a clip on the massive spending by a wealthy Arab head of state.... after he mentioned all his new ideas (very grand they were) An Arabian woman in a head covering spoke rather bluntly (I was surprised) she said basically.... that there was a lot of spending without enough forethought.

She was most likely thinking about education and health...

Educating the people and setting up a strong economic base for the lean years down the road wasn't in the cards.   fun  fun   fun.

No one saw beyond oil.

They can still get serious.     (we are determined to use alternatives to oil)

( Going Green )

Medclinician View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member
    Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 2:24pm
    Was watching cable and they said the Dow is at a high bubble and after a 300 point plunge things are in a dangerous state. How dangerous? Are we likely see it crash down to 6100 from the dizzying heights it is at now? 
    4=laro View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 2:38pm
    Like we have been learning on this site, stock pile food, water and necesities incase we need it later.  Saudi Arabia should be following our posts and plan for a time when they dont have everything in abundance.   No reason they cant stockpile food for later use.  They can be installing solar electric with their abundance of cash, even installing desalting plants for a viable water supply.  It is easier to stockpile when things are abundant (money) then to try to do it when you are broke.  Look at the Chinese, they are grabbing all the raw materials they can get their hands on  and using their surplus dollars to do it.
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 3:09pm
    They can be installing solar electric with their abundance of cash, even installing desalting plants for a viable water supply.
    I wonder if FirstSolar is over there making big bucks?
    Technologist View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 4:58pm
    Originally posted by 4=laro 4=laro wrote:

Like we have been learning on this site, stock pile food, water and necesities incase we need it later.  Saudi Arabia should be following our posts and plan for a time when they dont have everything in abundance.   No reason they cant stockpile food for later use.  They can be installing solar electric with their abundance of cash, even installing desalting plants for a viable water supply.  It is easier to stockpile when things are abundant (money) then to try to do it when you are broke.  Look at the Chinese, they are grabbing all the raw materials they can get their hands on  and using their surplus dollars to do it.

I agree with you 100% on this post. Remember that desalination takes massive amounts of energy and Saudi Arabia is one of the few counties with excess energy. You can do it with electricity, boiling, evaporation or reverse osmosis.

China is completely swallowing up raw resources around the world. They are just in the beginning stage. We can't compete with a country with people willing to work for $1 a day or that functions off of slave labor. India is doing the same without the slave labor. Our choice to survive is to be as independent of other countries resources as much as possible.
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:28pm

The Saudi's have been at it for a while now...

Desalination
    The Kingdom is now the world's largest producer of desalinated water. The 27 desalination plants provide drinking water to major urban and industrial centers through a network of water pipes running for more than 2,300 miles. Desalination meets 70% of the Kingdom's drinking water requirement. Several new desalination plants are under construction. Once completed, the Kingdom's network of desalination plants will have a capacity of 800 million gallons a day.
    Desalination plants also generate electricity. In 2000, the Kingdom's desalination plants generated a total of 28 million Megawatt Hours.

China is completely swallowing up raw resources around the world.

what mining stock do you like?

Technologist View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:14pm
    Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

what mining stock do you like?

I stay away from the Stock market. "If" things go sour quickly for any reason. People won't have the ability to convert stock into anything as trading will probably freeze when you really need to cash out.
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 11:30am

I stay away from the Stock market.

Shocked        Anything consumer  .... esp. retail took a big hit.   But life goes on

and many things we can't do without... like growth in highly pop countries.  That need

those Nat. resourses you spoke of.   They are not producing more Nat resourses.  I got

back in... in march.    The banks bought real estate... like in... to the tune of 20% and will

make a mint on it in a few yrs.    I think there is a diff mindset for, into retirement... for

good reason.  
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
      Share Topic