Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Epidemic _ Namibia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epidemic _ Namibia
    Posted: September 21 2007 at 6:13am
Originally posted by 4=laro 4=laro wrote:

Turboguy, who is behind bringing these illigal people into the country?  Have you looked into that?  We had a problem like that in Texas when El Salvador was having a revolution and it turned out to be a church group.  I'm certain they think they are doing the right thing, until something like TB is reintroduced into an area.  They are the first to run for cover and you have to clean up the mess.  To bad they can't be fined for everyone they illigally bring into this country, if they would be, i'm certain it would  stop.  Your free hospital must be overrun and if it isn't free, they won't be paid anyway.

In my very humble opinion:

This is for the sake of discussion - but I will comment I am 1/4 Cherokee and a lot of my ancestors had the same considerations as people swarmed into their sacred ground they had lived on for 40,000 years. Especially when they began to pass out blankets and entire villages were wiped out.

The entire west coast was not originally owned by America nor was the Louisiana territory.  Against their will, a vast number of blacks from Africa were brought here to work the fields and enslaved.

So, it really depends on perspective. To native Indians everyone else but them are immigrants who invaded their country and took their land.

This has been the cry of countries and peoples for over 10,000 years.

It is unlikely that the majority of people who came to the New World were rich. And with them they brought disease. In fact, if you move from one state to another, you may be exposed to hundreds of strains of new viruses so that if you caught one every day, a new one, it would take you a lifetime to develop immunity.

One interesting comment was concerning a sign at the border warning illegal immigrants and several hundred feet later was a second sign.

"Help wanted."

The heated debate on immigration will continue in Washington and the rest of the U.S. Personally, in my youth, on hands and knees I picked apricots, prunes, and strawberries in fields freshly sprayed with toxic pesticides. I did not have to. My parents were interested in me learning the Protestant work ethic, even though we had money to live on and food to eat.

Stepping into this debate would be like stepping onto the firing range during my military training. We are all immigrants. Even before the native Americans I am sure some sort of someone was roaming around the plains and eating berries and hunting mammoths.

4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 6:43am
Turboguy, who is behind bringing these illigal people into the country?  Have you looked into that?  We had a problem like that in Texas when El Salvador was having a revolution and it turned out to be a church group.  I'm certain they think they are doing the right thing, until something like TB is reintroduced into an area.  They are the first to run for cover and you have to clean up the mess.  To bad they can't be fined for everyone they illigally bring into this country, if they would be, i'm certain it would  stop.  Your free hospital must be overrun and if it isn't free, they won't be paid anyway.
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 2:34pm
I underwent tb testing last year, so I have experience. TB testing is a multi-step process. They inject a fluid into your skin (not into the vein) and then you come back next week. If you have a measurable bump, it means that you have antibodies or have been exposed to it, but not TB itself. If you have a bump you get your lungs xrayed and if there is a spot of the right kind, you have TB. It can be treated but it's a death sentence for a career in healthcare.
I am not a prophet
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 1:51pm
I understand what you are saying. I do have a problem with the MMR and if they produce a DEAD version of the shot my child will have it.

Until then weve opted out and we will get the religious belief waiver or whatever form the health dept is requiring. Other than that the child will have what's required to enter school.

There are additional immunizations required if the child goes to daycare and preschool  which are not required to enter public school. You have to look at the health dept regs carefully to decipher this. They generally try to immunize them with all the shots without asking this as preventative or under the assumption they will all attend daycare or preschool.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 12:50pm
Baby, some people are opting out of immunizations. They only need to have a piece of paper that says that they have moral/religious objections to getting vaccinated and they can't force these people to get it. They further can't deny anyone an education, so they just let it go at that.

I too believe that people have the right to do whatever they want, but if it presents a direct threat to me, my family, and my countrymen, then if they choose to leave the US unvaccinated, they made the choice to not be able to come back into this country potentially with eradicated diseases.

In my city we have a *HUGE* influx of Somali immigrants, many, if not most are illegal. They've re-introduced TB to places where previously there was none. That's not racism, or xenophobia, it's a fact. When your homeland has 50 -60% of everyone actively infected with TB, and you bring them over to the US, you're bringing in a previously eradicated epidemic.

TB was previously almost totally eradicated from the US, but with the immigration debacle we're dealing with, it's BAAAAACK.

Even if all types of Meningitis isn't prevented with the innoculation, it does provide protection from a majority of the varieties, particularly the ones that they constantly get over there.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 9:52am
I think people have a right to do what they want to do. There are immunizations that are required to enter school and there are ones beyond this which are recommended. Some of the immunizations contain live virus so there may be a risk with that as well.

I think they are now requiring hep b for kids to enter school. Even with the meningicocal meningitis immunization you are only covered from ONE FORM OF THE DISEASE. THERE ARE MANY TYPES WHICH ARE NOT COVERED with the immunization.

Global travel has its risks nowdays. Especially to certain parts of the world.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 8:00am
This is from a lack of vaccination.

It's a great example of what happens to people that refuse vaccinations for themselves and their children.

A friend of an old girlfriend refused to get her kids vaccinated, ever, and they would travel the world. I had quite a laugh at them when her idiot kid caught Hep A somewhere. Truth be told, you're just as likely to pick up Hep A here in the US as you are abroad, but the fact is that everyone needs vaccinations because it prevents epidemics like this one.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 6:34am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 6:26am
Epidemic Hazard_South America

A mystery disease, which has killed 4 children in less than 10 days on Marajo Island [in the mouth of the Amazon river] has claimed a 5th victim. A 4-year-old girl has been hospitalized on a respirator in intensive care in Belem [Para state's capital], slipping in and out of consciousness. She is the sister of one of the children who died last week, and according to her family she had a high fever, vomiting and convulsions, symptoms, which suggest malaria or meningitis.

Last year [2006], half the rural inhabitants of the region suffered from malaria. Preliminary laboratory tests by the Instituto Evandro Chagas [IEC, the national reference center for arboviruses] did not establish a diagnosis, but since yesterday [3 Sep 2007] a team from IEC and the [Para] State Secretariat for Public Health (Sespa) are at the site looking for possible insect vectors of disease.)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2007 at 6:22am

Cases of meningitis have been reported in some villages in the Eengodi constituency of the Oshikoto Region. One child has died already. As worries mounted yesterday about the disease spreading, health workers were dispatched to affected areas to alert villagers.

At the same time, health officials have appealed for calm. Eengodi Regional Councillor Walde Sheyavali announced on the NBC's Oshiwambo radio service yesterday morning that several cases of the disease had been reported at Onamakulikwa and Ohambala villages this week. Sheyavali said some villagers have been taken to the Onandjokwe Lutheran Hospital for treatment.

When approached yesterday afternoon, the Matron of the hospital, Monika Shilongo, confirmed to The Namibian that they were treating meningitis patients. "We have treated and are treating meningitis cases from Onamakulikwa, Ohambala, Onkumbula, Ohashipepe and Omakunde villages in Eengodi Constituency," she said. She said a boy, Lukas Akapa from Omakunde village, died of the disease at the beginning of the month. Shilongo told The Namibian that health workers had been sent to affected villages to investigate the outbreak, immunise and inform villagers of the disease. The Superintendent of Onandjokwe Hospital, Dr Fillemon Amaambo, said late yesterday afternoon that he had scheduled a meeting with health workers to learn more about the outbreak.

The Director of Health in the Oshana Region, Dr Naftali Hamata, said two cases of meningitis had been reported in that region, but that there had been no fatalities so far. The Director of Health in Ohangwena Region, Erobeam Hamudaba, said no meningitis cases had been reported there yet. However, he noted that Eengodi was close to Ohangwena and that he was worried that the disease could spread. In the Omusati Region, Director of Health Sackarias Taapopi also said that no cases had been reported.

Dr Hamata appealed for calm, saying that people shouldn't panic because measures can be taken to prevent the disease from spreading further. Asked about the possibility of an immunisation campaign for the northern regions, Dr Hamata said it was too early to plan that yet. "We first have to determine whether it is a virus or bacteria causing this form of meningitis before we can start immunising," he said.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic