Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

"Boxed" milk shelf life

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Boxed" milk shelf life
    Posted: October 23 2007 at 7:53pm
   Thought somebody might need to know this. I bought boxed milk, both "real" milk (Parmalat) and soy milk. When purchased, they had about 6 months to the expiration date. I put them in the spare refrigerator. BF has taken its sweet time getting here and the boxes are now a year past their expiration dates. I've started to use them on my cereal and they all taste perfect even though they are way out of time. I am sure that the refrigeration makes a big difference.

I use my spare frig and the freezer to keep some of my supplies and even rotate some in and out of the refrigeration to extend shelf life of multiple items.

Rockhound View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 5:27am
That sounds like a realy good idea,   I just dont have the extra frigerator space.
Will you let everbody in your house?
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 11:46am
It's amazing to me how long something is good after the expiration dates. We had some tortillas that were 4 months beyond the expiration and ate them and they were perfectly fine. I have experienced that with all types of food. I had some powdered milk that was close to expiring,put it in a food safe bag and viola! Good for another two years!i  
web ferret View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote web ferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 12:43pm
I had noticed that the boxed milk has a 6 month exp date.  Almost all milk here in the UK is fresh so has to be kept in a fridge.

Boxed milk is on my last minute shopping list as its got a shortish date in it.  We always have around a weeks fresh milk in stock anyway.
therese View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 1:11pm
I think you can put dried milk or any dried food in half gallon canning jars with an oxygen absorber and it will be good for a LONG time.
Iron Mommy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Mommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 2:28pm
We had some of that boxed milk that was a year past the expiration date and some that was six months past, and it had all curdled. We didn't refrigerate it, though--I'm sure that helps. But in the future, I'm going to pay attention to the expiration dates on those and try and get more "at the last minute" if possible. That's great that yours lasted so long!
JONESIE View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JONESIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 3:50am
I have purchased Parmalat in the past. Once opened it keeps much longer than regular milk in the refrigerator.  And the taste is much better than canned milk. I keep all of it in the fridge. I have never kept any on the shelf.

And I have kept it unopened for an additional 3 months in the refrigerature past its expiration date, and it has been just fine.

I can't find any for sale other than at Walmart. Does anyone know if any other big chain also sells it in the USA?

Dijoy View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 12:22pm
I have bought powdered milk and use it for sauces and custard to keep it rotating
Diane
Diane
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 12:41pm

I agree on using many things past their expiration dates. There are exceptions, of course. And as you read, be careful in confusing sold by and used by dates. Called one company and they finally replied. Their "use by" expiration date was 6 months before the date they said the antibacteria wipes were out of date. IE on the box it had one date and their call said they were good for 2 years.

I have a lot of powdered milk in boxes on hand. If it is the large cans (more exp) I wouldn't worry at all about its shelf life. The boxes have all beeen fine, even tho use them past the experation date. But I think the idea below is good, and as soon as I can I will begin putting them into vacuum food safe bags, large amounts at a time, just for extra protection.

If you don't have a vacuum food machine, they are worth their weight in gold. And you can buy the bags online for much less than store prices. I just get rolls, seal the bottom (the side seals are already made for you, cut to size, fill, vacuum air out, and seal. Very fast. I go through by buckets of sealed foods about every 6 months to take out any seals that have failed and either redo them or eat them.

Rocky at homeemergencyusa.com

Originally posted by Hotair Hotair wrote:

It's amazing to me how long something is good after the expiration dates. We had some tortillas that were 4 months beyond the expiration and ate them and they were perfectly fine. I have experienced that with all types of food. I had some powdered milk that was close to expiring,put it in a food safe bag and viola! Good for another two years!i  

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 2:14pm
Alot of items are good past the expiration date. A small part of my job is to check code dates for a couple of different major companies and although they have expiration dates, the company says they gaurantee their food for 6 months after the code date. I get to bring home any wirte-offs and we use expired cookies, crackers and candy all the time. The only thing that I find doesn't last long after expiration is items with peanut butter in them.
birdfluwatcher View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdfluwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 6:19pm
Someone mentioned on here about the vacuum sealers and that you could get bags real cheap on line...does anyone know where?
anon54 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 7:51pm
Try The Sweet Attack. I just ordered a sampler pack the bags work great! Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic