Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Health Care Workers Discussion Area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Health Care Workers Discussion Area
    Posted: October 25 2007 at 7:16pm
    This room is for health care workers on the chat board to discuss and answer questions from others.
Silke View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 4:43am
Thank you, John.

As a former Infection Control Nurse, I will be happy to participate.
reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 6:33am
As a working C.D. investigator, I too would be happy to provide imput to this thread...thanks John
"tell med the grasshoppers won"
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 6:38am
Not bad, John. 

You may need to bump this each week.

johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 7:52am
    Wow, didn't expect such a good response. What is a C.D. Investigator? As you all know, I am a CNA.

Last week I approached one of my bosses about a pandemic plan, and she didn't even know what a pandemic plan is. If I have time today I'm going to file a suggestion.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 8:52am
n
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 7:36pm
Same experience here, John. I approached my supervisor about a pandemic contingency plan, partly because some of my patients had raised the issue, only to be met with a blank stare, so I e-mailed the company directly. They contacted her after about a month and she relayed the message, which was that in the event of a flu pandemic they would defer to the CDC and the local health authority. I tried to explain by that time it would be too late to make any meaningful preparations such as organizing generators/fuel and stocking up on supplies, but I got the blank stare again. When I mentioned it to an administrative staff member, her reply was, "when has bird flu ever caused us any problems before?". Very scary.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 10:02pm
To the people on this board. I am a Board Certified Family Practioner and I will be glad to help,if and when I can.But I can not see into the future and I know that the CDC and most governments in the world are more worried about the panic from a pandemic killer flu than they are of a killer flu. "Bird Flu" or any other kind.--Just for starters,I know that all first respondes in my area(fire department,Emt's ect) have all been briefed and taught about the Bird Flu a few months ago. But I also know that no physician in my area has had any briefing or any warning of it. I have friends in both the fire department and the EMS services that have told me these things. Why have the more advanced trained people who are also first responders in the since of seeing these people in our offices first,not been warned,educated,or briefed?Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 9:09am
"I know that the CDC and most governments in the world are more worried about the panic from a pandemic killer flu than they are of a killer flu".

I totally agree. I think most, if not all of the people on this forum know that when you start to look deeper into the subject of avian flu and the history of it's interaction with mankind, you begin to realise just how bad a major pandemic could be. I'm sure we've all been through the panic stage already - I know I have. Translating the situation they faced in 1918 to today, with our increased reliance on a very delicate infrastructure, vastly increased mobility by virtue of air travel, and significantly larger population, the scenarios are downright terrifying. Compound that with widespread shortages of just about everything we've come to take for granted maybe within weeks, and you have the potential for social disruption on a scale unknown to most of us that haven't lived through wartime. I've seen worse case scenarios mentioning BF death rates of 1 in 20. That gives us a 1 in 19 chance of surviving - a hell of a lot better than even. But I wonder how many more would die not from the flu, but from the disruption caused by our reaction to the flu? I think the authorities are having to walk a fine line between creating all out panic or complete apathy. Exactly how to convey to people how bad it might be without causing panic buying and unwarranted social distancing is extremely tricky. Whether their approach is right remains to be seen, I guess. I don't envy them though.
   I was going to ask one of our doctors at work about his feelings on the subject. It'll be interesting to find out how well he's been briefed. When myself and a coworker first started to get up to speed on BF, she asked a neighbor (who is a fire fighter in the area) if he knew about it. This was nearly six months ago, and he said that he and his colleagues already knew all about it, and had plenty of stocks laid in. They also had plans to move their families to a rural firehouse when they got word. I have a friend who is a city paramedic now. I'll get in touch and find out what I can from him about how well they've been prepped.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 9:54am
fit testing with a variety of n95 masks...Ive been done twice.. without this test and associated training...well you may have the n95 but the fit may be a problem
"tell med the grasshoppers won"
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 4:57pm
jacksdad,so you are seeing basically the same thing in your area that I have seen in mine. Our fire department members were even given hand outs and they were told to keep them secret. The EMS people were told that when and if a Bird Flu case was confirmed in a given home,they were to ignore any calls for help from that home and not even stop any more. The fire department personnel were told the same thing and what makes this so strange to me is that I live in a small town and the fire department personnel are all unpaid volunteers. Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 1:25pm
That makes for a scary scenario. I totally understand the thinking behind it, but it still feels a little like the "unclean" leper colonies of old. I've worked in EMS and I should imagine it would be hard for people who have chosen a career that involves coming to the aid of others to ignore cries for help. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have a number of Fire/EMS personnel on the forum. Anybody working in those fields want to chip in?
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

jacksdad,so you are seeing basically the same thing in your area that I have seen in mine. Our fire department members were even given hand outs and they were told to keep them secret. The EMS people were told that when and if a Bird Flu case was confirmed in a given home,they were to ignore any calls for help from that home and not even stop any more. The fire department personnel were told the same thing and what makes this so strange to me is that I live in a small town and the fire department personnel are all unpaid volunteers. Johnray1

D!    
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 3:12pm
reality check.Everything that I have put on this board is true. I am sorry that you can not except it.Now as to how this thing really shakes out remains to be seen.If you do not want to believe that I am a Doctor,that is O.K. That is your business. When I have tried to talk to other doctors about "Bird Flu" they either look at me with a blank stare or laugh at me.As far as what I told you about how the EMS and the Fire Department are told to react and how they actually react,also remains to be seen. But this is all true and if you choose not to believe me,then you need a reality check.---If you were told that if you enter a certain house to pick up a patient,but if you went into that house,it was likely that you would also get the disease and die and that doctors and nurses at the hospital were already dying from it and you would also carry this disease home to your family and they would die,what you do?Johnray1
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 3:20pm
reality check,the best that we can all hope for is that this flu never gets here,or if it does get here,that it has mutated into a form that is no worse than the regular flu that we see every year.Another thing ,every doctor who has had mass trauma training are trained to save the people that you think might live,you are taught to not waste time on people who(in your opinion) are going to die any way.So this does fit with mass casuality training. Johnray1

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 5:06pm

The EMS people were told that WHEN AND IF A Flu case was confirmed in a given home,they were to ignore any calls for help from that home and not even stop any more.      Does anyone on this board think this story is true???..btw johnny..as a dr"?"...why are you not speaking up or do you think leaving people to die because our ems or fire dept has been told to ignor is your "medical" training. What a moron..sorry Albert but this is crazy talk and needs to be addressed if this forum has any credibility!!!!    

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 2:40am
reality check,I hope that you are right and that I am wrong.I even hope that nothing that even looks like "Bird Flu" ever" makes it to our country. But you do need to go look up in any medical book on mass trauma or mass illnesses and see what it says about the one patients that you might be able to save and the one's that you think can not be saved. Just to add a little to this,nurses will be making these discisions at triage.Johnray1   
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 3:35am

reality check,I hope that you are right and that I am wrong.I even hope that nothing that even looks like "Bird Flu" ever" makes it to our country. But you do need to go look up in any medical book on mass trauma or mass illnesses and see what it says about the one patients that you might be able to save and the one's that you think can not be saved. Just to add a little to this,nurses will be making these discisions at triage.Johnray1   

When it comes to a Panflu,  I agree that doctors will have to make some very tough calls.  If the average hospital has around 50 ventilators, most of which might already be in use, you would need to save the remaining ventilators for those who have the best chance to survive.  You would in fact have to separate the sick, from those who are VERY sick and who don't have much of a chance.  It makes sense not to waste much time on someone who is near death vs. someone who has a chance at recovering.  In a case like this in which medical personnel and equipment are stretched too thin, there would be extremely tough decisions to be made. 

Healthcare workers would have to use their resources (including themselves) wisely.  

johngardner2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 9:00am
    Hi Albert, just had to re register, the board says my account isn't registered and wouldn't let me post
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 12:45pm
Hi John, the problem is fixed.  Let me know if you need anymore help.

A

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 2:18pm

I'm personally guessing that the majority of HCW's will attend their jobs during a panflu.  As a whole, just like everybody else, they will most likely be taken by surprise and they probably won't understand what they're dealing with.   

Now, if I was working in a med center myself, I would want to make sure that the facility had enough tamiflu on hand to create an immediate tamiflu blanket to cover all employees.   Quite honestly, for a tamiflu blanket to be real effective, it should also include the families of the HCW's.  Unfortunately we're now talking about a lot of tamiflu with most likely little planning. 

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 5:20pm
    It seems to be fixed, thanks albert.

If the bus system goes down I won't make it to work. I rely on the bus for transportation.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 5:25pm
    I can't honestly say that I'd go to work during a pandemic. If systems break down, will we even get paid?
I am not a prophet
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 5:38pm
I feel a lot of factors enter- age (I am 70) my life is peaking, experience
I can contribute, family they will not need what I have to keep afloat. If my physician asks me to help I will go because of many reasons= one being he believes in the coming bf and helped me with Tamiflu.
Pat
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 5:43pm
my Dr. has already discussed his plan for patients to be separated from bf and regulars..some will be defilned from in the patio area vs. the office area. He hands out info on bf regularly, talks about it with each patient who wants to listen. This is the type you will show up to help....
Pat
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 12:15pm
    I work with alzheimers patients. If cooking staff doesn't show, they'll die. They have no cognitive capabilities left in many cases and might not even be aware that they're hungry, so won't try to cook for themselves.
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 1:05pm
reality check,did you go look up how mass trauma or mass illness of any kind is treated? Or can you read? By the way,I have been in medicine appr.30 years,why have I never heard of a Communicable Disease Investigator? What branch of the CDC do you work for? Or what branch of what health department do you work for? You have been very insulting to me over the last day or so on this board,and I would like to know what your Education Level is? I have turned downed jobs with the CDC. Have you? I know that they have people on an International Level,Country Level,and State Level who do track down diseases,but all of these people that I know hold at Ph.D's in on field or another. Most are either Infectious Disease Specialist or Epidemiologists. Which one are you and what office do you work out of? Your bosses should know just how uninformed you are and how arrogant you are and I am probably the man to tell them.Johnray1     
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

I'm personally guessing that the majority of HCW's will attend their jobs during a panflu.  As a whole, just like everybody else, they will most likely be taken by surprise and they probably won't understand what they're dealing with. Now, if I was working in a med center myself, I would want to make sure that the facility had enough tamiflu on hand to create an immediate tamiflu blanket to cover all employees.   Quite honestly, for a tamiflu blanket to be real effective, it should also include the families of the HCW's.  Unfortunately we're now talking about a lot of tamiflu with most likely little planning. 

I'm on a list of "mission critical" professions along with ER and ICU workers who will supposedly be given prophylactic doses of Tamiflu to encourage us to turn up for work. My biggest concern is then taking the virus home to my family, although it will be impossible for healthcare facilities like the one I work at to operate with disruptions in either water or electrical supplies, so it may all be a moot point anyway. I've already ascertained that the company I work for has no contingency plan whatsoever and will rely on advice from the CDC and local health authority at the time, which as most of us here know will be too late.

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 6:38am
jacksdad,like I have said,many times,I hope this does not happen. But as long as we can keep the water running and the power on,there may be hope,but if this thing does happen,I expect that the utilities will go one at a time,as more people get sick ,there will be a point where nothing is working and no one knows what is going on and just before that point is the time to get youself and your family to a safe place,even if it is just your house with a locked door. My children are all grown and have families of their own and they will not listen to me any way.so I can pretty easily take care of me and my wife. Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 2:33pm
I have to agree with you Johnray. If it turns out to be a major pandemic, the lights and/or water are going out. The trick is knowing the right time to SIP.
Off on a tangent a little here. I was in Walmart this morning, and while I was there I saw a young mother and her little daughter. She was maybe three years old, and I wondered how she'd fare if her family weren't prepared. It was all I could do not to talk to her mom about BF, but based on the reaction of friends and coworkers I realised it's just not possible to do it without coming off as a nut, and worse still, possibly closing someone's mind from that point on to any information that may come their way. I looked around and saw all the people going about their daily lives and wondered if I was the only one in the whole store that had even given the possibility of a pandemic a second thought. I wonder what percentage of the population is actually getting ready?

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 3:27am
Same here jacksdad! I know exactly what your saying! Coyote

PS: "it's not if but when". someday we will not be looked at like were "nut jobs". We can then tell them,I told you so.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 9:47am
    With all the new infectious diseases out there, can we suggest a multiple-disease pandemic?
I am not a prophet
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 10:18am
   I was thinking along the same lines yesterday, John. I was getting supplies for our camp toilet and debating where I should dump it. I've never gotten along with my neighbors and they're only on the other side of the fence. Maybe on a dark night...
   Anyway, it occurred to me that there's going to be a lot of "stuff" around that's not going anywhere except into the ground water. We could be reeling from avian flu when something like typhoid hits. With an already overwhelmed healthcare system we'd be in serious trouble. All the more reason to make sure your water preps (either stored or filtered) are up to snuff.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 7:54pm
The Fire/EMS community will be heavily involved in the event of a Pan Flu situtation. I have been involved in meetings at the State level and have attended Fed. sponsored courses on the subject. I also wrote my city's CRI (City Readiness Initative) regarding how medications will be distributed in the event of the need for a mass dispensing event. With the expectation that Doctors offices will become swamped (just the the ER's) we have already been told that after a patient has been evaluated at their local NHC (Neighborhood Help Center) they will either be directed to go home and tough it out or go to the local ACC (Alternative Care Center), which will be a high school gym or such with maybe one Dr. and a couple of nurses there. The ACC will be your equilivant to an end of life experience. There will be NO Ventilators and only minimal comfort meds available. Our latest County protocols already address the fact that in an MCI (Mass Casualty Incident), such as the Pan Flu, multiple patients of like illness shall be transported in the same ambulance at the same time. Also many of these patients will be suffering acute respiratory distress, these patiens shall not be placed on mechanical ventilators, nor given aerosolized breathing treatments due to the fact that for both instances, (as they learned with SARS in Toronto) you are cross contaminating the EMS crew and the ambulance.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 11:50pm
reality check,where is your response to TERMS1 to this post. He is correct. Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 3:18am
We have numerous present time epidemics and a considerable amount of data that has yet to be released. I belong in this thread and hope to cautiously release as much as possible without losing the ability to do so.

MC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 3:41am
Good idea for a thread. I look forward to interacting and talking to other health professionals.

MC
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 8:48am
At our State's Homeland Security Conference this year they had a presentation on disposing of victims during a mass casuality event (Colin Powell was the key-note speaker--sorry about the name dropping). and at our EMS Expo (a 4 day event for all EMS providers to "rack-up" continuing education credits) they had at least one class on pandemic preparedness. My wife is an ER/RN and only one of approx. 20 doc's is taking this seriously. Also in my department we get fit tested yearly for SCBAs and N-95's.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 10:10am
Thanks for contributing, Terms. EMS/Fire are going to be on the front line if a major pandemic materializes, and a lot of very hard decisions are going to be made. Anyone that thinks otherwise is in for a rude awakening.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 5:31pm
    So who here has a stockpile of relenza and tamiflu?
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 6:47pm
johngarderner1,I have no idea who has a stock of Relenza or Tamiflu. I know that I do not. I do not even have one dose of either one. But I have heard through the grapevine,that there are many stores of both inside the beltway of Washinton,D.C. I have no way of confirming this or dening this. But I think that it is kind of strange that after all of the perparing that many of us have done and much of the hiding that the Feds have done(of relenza and Tamiflu) that the common cold has mutated into one of the very diseases that we have all been afraid of.Johnray1
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 6:57pm
    I heard about the common cold.
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 6:59pm
To all on this board, there is one disease that we have all failed to watch. That is MRSA,it seems to be very common in this area now. MRSA is not a knew a new disease but it has been primarily restricted to out breaks in nurseing homes,but it seems to have made the jump to the general public. I live in a very small and a really rural area and we have had 3 cases that I know of in the last couple of weeks here,amoung other wise healthy people with minor injuries. I do not understand the jump it has made and I do not understand the mood of transmission that it is useing.It is very bebilating at least(multipe amputations) and it is deadly in many cases and it has me confused. Johnray1
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 7:18pm
    johnray, could you post what you know about the mutated common cold? I'm researching, but I'm simultaneously downloading a large file using dialup
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 9:19pm
johngardner1,all that I know about the common cold mutateing is that the CDC has known about this for 1 1/2 years. There is no telling how many people in nurseing homes and people who were very sick at home and makeing many visits to the E.R. have died from this.I know that I have seen many people in the last few months who I thought had the common cold ,but they could not get wll. It lasted months past what the common cold should last. These people had a slightly elevated white counts and also slightly elevated liver enzymes ,but there was stil nothing that you could say for sure what there diagnosis was. All that I know is they standed sick for months with the common cold symptoms and these laboratory abnormalities. None of my patients died,but that was probably more luck than skill,because this has been know about for 1 1/2 years,but we have only know about for 1 1/2 days. There is no way to know how many people in nurseing homes died of it and their death was attributed to something else and there is no way of knowing how many who were cared for at home,but still very sick,who died of this and we did not know that a mutation had taken place. Even if we had known that a mutation had taken place,I do not know that we could have done anything about it,but it would have been good to know,before a 1 1/2 years had gone by. Johnray1    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic