Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Health Care Workers Discussion Area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

johngardnerq1,I can answer that question. The vaccine that they have now for the current form of "Bird Flu" will not work if this virus mutates to be easily spread between humnan. It will actually be a different virus for all practical purposes.Because of that,a new vaccine will have to be developed for that virus and it takes 6 to 12 months to develop a new vaccine and that is only if everything goes right. I would not even want the first vaccine off the assebly line.Every time a virus mutates,you have to start all over again. Johnray1

That doesn't pan out johnray, and I was talking about the current form of bf that's infecting humans right now, not the eventual mutated form. That vaccine should have been made available a month ago. They're giving that vaccine to chickens, why not humans. Where's the vaccine?
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 7:40pm
johngardner1,I have raised chickens for years and I have been involved with people raising other live stock for years. You say that my answer does not pan. Well,it does pan out. I have vacinated chickens for years with vaccines for chickens for viruses that humans do not catch. The same is true for other live stock. If this thing ever mutates to where it is easily transmmited to humans,it will be a different virus than the one that exists now and primarily infects fowl now. The Viologists may have a better Idea about where to start to grow the new mutated virus,but it may not work.Chickens and humans and cows and dogs and sheep and ever other animal on earth are prone to catch different diseases. It is when a jump is made from one species to another that a problem is created.The same vaccine that may help a chicken is by no means guaranteed to help a human or a goat or a pig and this same rule is true for all animals.It sounds simple on the surface but it is not simple in the lab. Johnray1
reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 7:44pm

johngardner1,I have raised chickens for years and I have been involved with people raising other live stock for years. You say that my answer does not pan. Well,it does pan out. I have vacinated chickens for years with vaccines for chickens for viruses that humans do not catch. The same is true for other live stock. If this thing ever mutates to where it is easily transmmited to humans,it will be a different virus than the one that exists now and primarily infects fowl now. The Viologists may have a better Idea about where to start to grow the new mutated virus,but it may not work.Chickens and humans and cows and dogs and sheep and ever other animal on earth are prone to catch different diseases. It is when a jump is made from one species to another that a problem is created.The same vaccine that may help a chicken is by no means guaranteed to help a human or a goat or a pig and this same rule is true for all animals.It sounds simple on the surface but it is not simple in the lab. Johnray1

Excelent post!!!     
"tell med the grasshoppers won"
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 8:26pm

That also doesn't pan out, people are getting sick from the current bird flu that's going into people as well as fowl. I'm not talking about the mutated form, that hasn't happened yet, I'm talking about the forms that have already killed 200 people in the last four years. So it's not just a chicken disease, it does infect humans. So where's our vaccine for the current form of the BF? They have vaccine from chicken, are you saying it's easier and faster to create a vaccine for chickens than humans?
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 9:40pm
johngardner1,I do mean to sound hard hearted,because I am not. The jump that we seem to be on the edge of,and that is from "Bird Flu" to a human form of it. the 200 deaths so far are nothing. There will be more than that human dead in every county and parish of the U.S. and in other countries,that no one even bothes with buying,or worries about.Let us all pray that it never takes the human form with the lethality that it has amoung fowl.The mutated form that makes the jump from fowl to human is the nitemare to have.--Plus,you have to understand,that on a world wide basis,a disease that kills 200 people in 4 years is simply not serious enough to go to the expense to develop a vaccine for. Medically speaking,there are more than 200 deaths in every major hospital in the world that are unexplained,that 200 people world wide are simply not enough to be worried with.Johnray1   
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 11:34pm
Silke,you are a formal Infectiuos Disease Nurse. Why don't you help with some thses answers. Johnray1
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 7:40am
Johnray1, regarding your 5:14p.m. post yesterday, the answer is your local Police/Fire & EMS Departments. It's already been addressed and is part of the the Feds CRI (City Readiness Iniative). The feds have told us repeatedly that, when it hits there will be NO help coming from them. This is an all inclusive "all hazards" plan to cover anything from an anthrax release to a pandemic influenza where the general population needs to be medicated. I know, I wrote my Cities' CRI and have spent Fed money to set it up, order supplies, and stock and store them.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 9:11am
When vaccines for human flu are made they contain vaccine for the 3 most likely strains. If they used the three strains of H5N1 that are the most human cell friendly and made a vaccine I realize it would not be "the" vaccine for the mutated human virus but maybe it would provide some protection. It might not keep people from catching it but it might keep them from dying from it. I've heard milkmaids who caught cowpox had protection against smallpox. It was common enough that people noticed. The cowpox virus probably wasn't the perfect smallpox vaccine. Also, what was Australia making that got the Indonesians so upset? They were making vaccines from their samples and trying to patent them. What were they going to do with them? Were they going to make a prepandemic vaccine and wait until h2h and then use it. They could then start producing vaccine for the human strain. What were they talking about a while ago when it was reported some vaccine in storage was losing its potency? When it was made they had some number of doses but after a period of time they had fewer doses.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 12:21pm
    Johnray, I prefer realism and don't believe you are hard-hearted. I'm in health care myself and in order to survive psychologically in healthcare requires a mix of compassion and a clinical attitude, or you get eaten alive emotionally when your patients die. Especially if you've known them for years. So in fact I urge you to be clinical. If pandemic does occur, don't let your weeping for the dead take a priority over your need to survive. You can and will get inured to bad developments by being clinical and logical.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

When vaccines for human flu are made they contain vaccine for the 3 most likely strains. If they used the three strains of H5N1 that are the most human cell friendly and made a vaccine I realize it would not be "the" vaccine for the mutated human virus but maybe it would provide some protection. It might not keep people from catching it but it might keep them from dying from it. I've heard milkmaids who caught cowpox had protection against smallpox. It was common enough that people noticed. The cowpox virus probably wasn't the perfect smallpox vaccine. Also, what was Australia making that got the Indonesians so upset? They were making vaccines from their samples and trying to patent them. What were they going to do with them? Were they going to make a prepandemic vaccine and wait until h2h and then use it. They could then start producing vaccine for the human strain. What were they talking about a while ago when it was reported some vaccine in storage was losing its potency? When it was made they had some number of doses but after a period of time they had fewer doses.

The cowpox is the method for immunizing against smallpox. I was given this immunization many years ago and still bear the scar. It made a big white fluid-filled blister about half the size of a penny that eventually went away. If you get it in your eyes (smallpox) it will blind you and horribly.
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 6:48pm
TERMS 1,Were these supplies that have been bought and stored,are these for the local fire/police/and EMS units or are there any for the general public? Johnray1
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 9:21pm
johngardner1,thank you for the kind words of encouragement.They do mean a lot to me.Thank You, Johnray1
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 4:43am
The supplies (everything from MRE's to Bullet resistant vests, and anything else that I could think of, and many ideas from this site) are cashed at a couple of different sites in and around my city. They are primarily for Police/Fire/City workers who will need to be feed and sheltered during the first 24-72 hours of a distribution event. Everything from barricades to lumber crayons, to OTC meds are already stockpiled.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 3:40pm
I got my smallpox vaccination before I went to the desert... Damn thing made my Lymph glands in my left armpit swell to the point it hurt to put my arm down, and then the thing spread about an inch across my arm. Most people have a nice round scar, mine's a line across my shoulder.

TERMS1, are these your stockpiles, or are these the city's? Are there people guarding these, or are they just cached in your secret spots? I'm asking this because nothing in a city is truly safe. Somebody's going to find just about anything you're stashing and heist it. Good luck!
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 3:49pm
TERMS 1. Thank you for your honesty. Now this should tell everyone on this board to have their own stores of food and water for at 72 hours,so that they will not be part of the problem and then you guys can concentrate on getting to and taking care of the people who do not have anything stored and then they will want to panic and then they will want to go out and start looting as a mob. TERMS 1 just so you will know,my son is a Deputy Sheriff in the county that I live in and he just left here. I asked him if any one had ever said any thing to them about the "Bird Flu" or any possible large emergency and his answer was no.Johnray1
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 4:56pm
Turboguy, this is the stuff that the Feds gave my city money to buy. There are only 2 people in the city that know where everyting is (and yup, I'm one of them). Different departments are aware of certain items on a need to know basis. No, nothing is truely secure but, the carrot that is being dangled by the Feds and our city is that city employees and their immediate families will recieve the first doses of medications that are locally stockpiled. It's the only way that people will come to work and set up the distribution point for the rest of the residents. The residents meds will become available from the Strategic National Stockpile. What we are doing in my city is basing distribution to the residents on an Anthrax dispersal (All Hazards) plan.

TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 5:09pm
Johnray1, The Red Cross and FEMA for the last 20 years have been telling everyone to have a minimum of 3 days worth of food and water for each person and pet already stored. The three days that my city has stored is only for those who will be setting up and manning the distribution point. Have your son either contact the Emergency Manager for his department, the EM at the largest Fire Department in your County or if you still have them-The Civil Defense, and ask them how they plan to get meds out to the residents in the event of an Anthrax release or other "pandemic". I've already said this before- the Feds are not going to be there to help. In my state there are only 3 counties that had their cities make up their own distribution plans, the rest are going to use the Fed plan and I wish them all the luck in the world....because they're gonna need it.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 5:59pm
TERMS 1, I will talk to my son about this and see if him and me together can get anything done.I have read FEMAS recommendatios for years and I know that what you said is correct,I finally talked my wife into reading FEMAs recommendations and she then agreed to stores for three days. I kind took her O.K. and streched it a bit so we have far more than she knows and I really hope that some day that I can say it was a waste of money,but that day is not here yet.----I also just called the EMS friend of mine just to make sure that I had not missunderstood him and I had not. He told me again that all of the EMS/Fire/ Police peolpe had been told to store food and water and he also said again that if they had made a up pick at a house and the patient did have"Bird Flu" they were not to make any more picks ups at that house and also that the EMS guys were not to go home. He also told me this time that there was suppose to be a vaccine shot for each EMS/fire/Police worker and each Doctor. He then asked about vaccines for his family and he was told absolutely not. I do not think that I would take a vaccine that "might" keep me alive just to watch my family die and he agreed.Besides.on the vaccine,the likelyhood that the first vaccine will be the correct vaccine are just about zero. So there may be 2 or more extra vaccines here.---He was as told that we could expect no help from the FEDs.They were also give instructions on the mass burning of bodies,but this has just about always been true in every epidemic that ever his the human race. I have closed my private office but I still maintain my Medical License and my DEA Licenses and I do not have a lot to do right now and Deer Season only has one week left,so I may take this on a project for this county.One of the big problems that I will have here is to get the state to lisen. I have talked to State Officals here for various reasons for 20 years now and about all that I have even gotten is screamed at and insulted reguardless of what the department was or what was the subject was. But I will try again. Johnray1
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 8:00pm
Johnray1, We also have a plan for the bodies in our city ....I never liked the city pool anyway, but at least it's already in Memorial Park. I just wanted to say to you otherwise-way to go! It's nice to see someone be progressive in what you're willing to under take, and I really wish you the best.
birdfluwatcher View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdfluwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 8:07pm
I also work in law enforcement and am worried about our cache of weapons and ammo among other things. I have taken the steps today to reinforce doors and locks. I have not stockpiled food for my area at work but working on food and water for home. Thanks to this site its really in the forefront of my mind. I'm so sick of hearing people say " we are all gonna die of something"...those people are not going to prepare at all and thats what I'm worried about. I know I will have access to weapons and ammo as well as other things but when the public finds out...boy oh boy.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 8:29pm
Birdfluwatcher, I was a Sam's club about a year ago and came up on a couple of white shirts in the aisle in front of me and it turned out to be a senior Lt. and the Dep. Chief of our P.D. loading up on basic supplies for the P.D.. I used to teach their Bloodborne Pathogens and infectious disease classes yearly and they flat out told me the reason they were spending $ was for "just in case", and if it didn't come before the expiration date on the food, oh well it would make good chow for deer camp. Also-welcome aboard.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 8:44pm
    Great news!! It's not guaranteed, but I may be going through free schooling to become a registered counselor, I'll be working at a local mental health community and get free training. Wish me luck!! It will really help my career. I still want to go thru phlebotomist training too, that's only 5 days of training.
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 9:21pm
Birdfluwatcher, I understand your fear of weapons and ammo falling into the wrong hands and I do not know where you live and work,but where I live and works,weapons and ammo are already in every bodies hands. I just hope that no one has to use them in order to feed their families and I am sure that they will not. Me and most people in this area keep 6 months to 12 months of food in their cellar or their basement that we have harvested from the garden and canned our own food. We were all rasied this way because we always rasied our own food and by the time that the gardens were gone,there was enough food stored to last until the next garden came in. Johnray1    
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by birdfluwatcher birdfluwatcher wrote:

I'm so sick of hearing people say " we are all gonna die of something"...those people are not going to prepare at all and thats what I'm worried about.

Same here. All I hear from coworkers are variations along the same lines - "We all have to die sometime" "If it's your time...". I guess they all plan on sitting at home and starving
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 10:00pm
Good news John. let us know how it goes
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdfluwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 10:11pm
yeah well...those people with that attitude piss me off. They will be the first that wants a hand out...and mean as it may sound, they won't get one from me. 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 11:30am
    Thanks Jacksdad, I called and they're sending me the application.
I am not a prophet
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 12:47pm
I started to stockpile a long time ago on Tamiflu and none of my family around here believes or cares. So who do I give my supply when the times is ripe? I am serious with this question. Medical, FD, PD??? I am not hording the stuff..I just started very early. I probly have 60 doses   
Pat
digital View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by PATB PATB wrote:

I started to stockpile a long time ago on Tamiflu and none of my family around here believes or cares. So who do I give my supply when the times is ripe? I am serious with this question. Medical, FD, PD??? I am not hording the stuff..I just started very early. I probly have 60 doses   

I am sure that the non believers in your family will change their minds quite rapidly when it becomes obvious we are in a pandemic.

So keep it for them.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 3:38pm
    I was told a while ago I think on this board that Relenza only costs 30 dollars with enough courses for about two people.
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 10:09pm
To all on this Board,there has been a mountain of information given and asked for on this board in the last few days. Every one should take the time to read and digest all of it. Johnray1
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 6:49am
Here is how I got mine...Dr. wrote the RX, Costco was the cheapest, had more supply, cost approx. $90 per box. Each box has 10 doses and the expire date is 2010.    
Pat
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdfluwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 1:25pm
During my preps...I realized for the first time there is a difference in Ispyrol alcohol....one says 70% and another is 30%...which one should I buy for cleaning and which one for medical purposes?
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 3:30pm
    The higher the percentile the purer the alcohol is, but the weak 30% kind should still disinfect.
I am not a prophet
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 10:09pm
Just got back from a trip to my local Home Depot to find it's moving. Best part is that everything left in the old store is 80% off. Unfortunately it was picked pretty much clean, except for a shelf full of 3M N95 face masks (two in a pack). I emptied all the boxes into my cart and when I hit the checkout it turns out I'd picked up 96 packs. The discount dropped the price from $3.44 to 69 cents a pack. I walked out with $330 worth of masks for $66!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 6:23am
As a registered nurse in a rural family practice I would be happy to participate as well.  Thank you. 

No one at our clinic is interested in talking about highly pathogenic avian flu and preparedness.  Other than online, I do not know anyone that is interested about the bird flu. 

December 13, we are having a seminar regarding bird flu and preparedness at one of our local hospitals.  Main speaker is an epidemiologist.  I'll be the first one to arrive...heehee

As far as police, fire, and rescue, those I have talked to have said no one has contacted them regarding preparedness.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 8:08am
Lyndah, we're more concerned about Tuberculosis right now. The area I police has had a major influx of Somalian immigrants, some legal, many not. Many of those that are entering our country are infected with TB, and are infectious. We've been warned not to enter certain residences unless it's a dire emergency, and some officers have completely sworn off entering the dwellings of African immigrants, for good reason.

We had a training class a couple weeks ago that was hugely illuminating on epidemics, including bird flu, but the emphasis was on MRSA and TB.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 10:14am

At our clinic , over the last two years, we are seeing an increase of TB and MRSA as well in immigrants.  Mostly MRSA and I mean to tell ya, these immigrants have huge abscesses.  When lanced they spew like a volcano erruption! 

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 11:11am
Lyndah...Are you seeing more Community aquired cases of MRSA or are they the more prevalant hospital aquired strain?   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 11:39am
Hey RealityCheck 

All CA-MRSA
MRSA came in waves in 06.  I was so concerned I wrote CNN last year, I think sometime around July 06.

Had one patient, a 17 y.o female, that had tiny scattered pimples with firm pustules scattered about her body.  She was such a beautiful girl so naturally she was crying and upset about these unsightly pimples.. 

Doc diagnosed the condition as folliculitis, no need to culture.  I was like please please please let me try to get a culture.  I managed to delicately mash a small sample of pus out of one pustule.  we put her on Cipro and Bactrum.

C&S report came back +CA-MRSA. 

Many of the cases subside after lancing and antibiotic therapy, but there are those that come back anywhere from 3-6 with another abscess, and of course its positive.

In 2007 same as 2006, Ca-MRSA came in waves, however  more cases in the waves.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 11:46am
" When lanced they spew like a volcano erruption!"

EEEWWW. Glad I already had breakfast...
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 11:51am
Lyndah...You are such a breath of fresh air. Why do DR's almost disregard the obvious and neglet to take a simple swab if only to rule out or add to a data base. Don't get me wrong a DR is a position of leardership and responsibility...however some of us enjoy the study of and are afforded more time to specilize ie..communicable disease control. Its nice to know there are qualified free thinking individuals working on the front lines       
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdfluwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 12:15pm
I know MRSA is rampant in Arkansas and our Dept of Health acts as if we dont have a problem!!! They downplay every report of a school being shut down due to infection saying these are isolated cases...this is why we have epidemics because Govt officials are the ones with their heads up their asses. I see it and know what it is...I try to be so careful but its rampant in the homeless population. Lyndah I remember when it was in CA in 2006, it was called "skid row staph"..as people migrate and move around...so does the staph...but Im sure most people still think its not a problem. Also Ive been told that you have to use their clothing or come in very close contact...thats not true either...this is what infuriates me about this...it is very contagious. Especially while their wounds are oozing everywhere!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 2:06pm
 RealityCheck:
Ditto and more dittos  :)
The doc didnt want to culture the folliculites because the clinical appearance was so CLEAN.  The young patient shaves everyday, waxes  leaving almost microscopic openings in the skin.  You know CA-MRSA loves that!  Thats why I  had to get a C&S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 5:46pm
    We've had several cases of MRSA within the last two weeks here in Washington State.
I am not a prophet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic