Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Health Care Workers Discussion Area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 6:58pm
If I was a health care worker Id be concerned about this new strain of the Ebola virus. Is it true it may be airborne? Ive heard recently the HIV virus in Africa they feel is airborne too. Whats your take on this?
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 7:51pm
    I'm HIV/Bloodborne disease certified. HIV is a bloodborne disease. We're told it cannot spread through saliva. Only contact with some bodily fluids can spread the disease. If HIV is truly airborne my guess is that it would be through the way the flu spreads, an accumulation of the parasite in the lung fluid that sprays out in droplets during a cough or sneeze.
I am not a prophet
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 8:03pm
I'm a BBP Instructor and the latest that I've read is that MRSA is set to "out-kill" HIV patients this year. Speaking of HIV does anyone remember the medical fields response when it first came out in the late 80's? We gowned, gloved-then put on another pair, masked and went into full blown isolation proceedures. The wild thing is that the thing that kills these patients is opertunistic infections. By effectively utilizing reverse isolation we kept them safer. The odds of them killing us are minimal v.s. us killing them with a cold or flu bug. I'm in a Pan Flu Class out of state starting tomorrow, will be back later in the week. have fun and be safe to all.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 8:56pm
    Good luck, I put in the application on Friday, soon I may be a registered counselor in washington state, it will really help my career.
I am not a prophet
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2007 at 5:17pm
Heads up...here in the Southwest,Calif., etc. there is Vally Fever if you get a full blown case it will leave scaring on the lungs..just like TB scars. I have had a full blown case and I need to tell X-Ray people it is not TB but Valley Fever. People who visit here then leave with symptoms will not be in an area familiar to the testing and the Dr. will not diagnois correctly and it could put you in a very wrong catagory, because once you get it you will be immune. It is a fungus in the dirt and dust spread by the wind.
Pat
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2007 at 7:38pm
   I had a family member catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) a few years ago, presumably as a result of his landscaping business. It's a fungal infection that usually enters the hosts lungs when they breathe in dust infected with the spores, and if it goes systemic it can be very serious. In his case the symptom that finally provoked a trip to the ER was an unbearable headache. He was so photosensitive he was lying in a darkened hospital room with a folded towel over his eyes, and still in pain despite IV morphine. After numerous lumbar punctures he was finally diagnosed when someone had the foresight to send a sample of cerebrospinal fluid to another hospital (UC Irvine, I think). It had progressed to fungal meningitis and he was lucky to escape permanent harm. I worked as an EMT at about the same time (about 11 years ago) and transported a quadraplegic patient for physical therapy who's diagnosis was coccidioidomycosal meningitis. It's not that common, but PATB is right in saying it's quite often misdiagnosed as it initially presents as a pneumonia-like illness in individuals that do get infected. I've heard it's bad in Arizona at the moment due to the large influx of new residents into the state.

4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 4:25am
This has been nagging at my brain for a couple days.  Maybe one of you medical people can answer it.  I read once that in 1918 flu season, it usually became pneumonia.  I also read that they developed a pneumonia vacine that was never really approved by the government.  If this happened, how did they do it and did they inadvertently also develope a flu vacine.  Is this possible?
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 4:39am
4=laro,you are correct in that most of the people who died,did die of a secondary pneumonia which there was also no treatment for at that time. If a vaccine was developed then for the secondary pneumonia,I am not aware of it. There is however a pneumococcal vaccine that is effetive against 23 different types of pneumonia and I would recommend that every one have it.It will save many lives. Johnray1
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 2:53pm
I was more interested in how they made the vacine, i have already taken the pneumonia vacine,  I am curious if they accidently made a flu vacine at the same time.  You know by the time the government gets around to making a vacine for you and me, we'll be dead from old age.  Of course, the vacine if it becomes available to the general public will be handed out in a manner that will bypass me since i am 65.  So you see you have to use your own abilities if it comes to that.  I know an ebola vacine was developed years ago by a nurse who used blood from a person who survived the ebola and injected it into her system and she also survived.   I'm sure there will be a cut off as far as age is concerned and i have a feeling it will be like 40 years old and you're out of luck.  unless you're a priority person, doctor, politician etc, but us plain folk will be plum out of luck

Whitley MD View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitley MD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 3:48pm
   So  far the mortality rate for H5N1 has been relatively low for those persons over age 40 when infected making that age group a low priority for vaccination compared to ages 10 to 30. The current recommendations are written only in draft form because the nature of the infection and there fore the vaccine priorities are only in draft form and can only be formalized when a pandemic actually occcurs.
It is better to give than to receive.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by reality check reality check wrote:

Communicable Disease Investigator. Sporatic and outbreak control of a wide variety of reportable diseases in the community and Long term care facilities.

I would like to also participate. I am the team leader of several medical research teams which currently interface with NIH, CDC, members of WHO, and who are involved in active research in alternate diagnostic methods as well as gene sequencing and protein folding to control the signal which basically controls the aging process. A modification and production of this signal would basically take steps towards curing cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Also, the modifications of specific portions of viral sequences and attacking them would provide a wide spectrum vaccine which would wipe out many of our main diseases as well as increase human life span.

Imminst - of which I am a member works with scientists all over the world to combine extremely cutting edge medical technology to investigate ways to increase lifespan and not merely use drugs to treat disease, but find the keys to curing it.

One can certainly appreciate the investigation of disease outbreaks, and we do a lot of that here, but the ultimate goal is to cure the diseases. That is not an unobtainable goal.

Medclinician

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by medclinician medclinician wrote:

Communicable Disease Investigator. Sporatic and outbreak control of a wide variety of reportable diseases in the community and Long term care facilities.
I would like to also participate. I am the team leader of several medical research teams which currently interface with NIH, CDC, members of WHO, and who are involved in active research in alternate diagnostic methods as well as gene sequencing and protein folding to control the signal which basically controls the aging process. A modification and production of this signal would basically take steps towards curing cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Also, the modifications of specific portions of viral sequences and attacking them would provide a wide spectrum vaccine which would wipe out many of our main diseases as well as increase human life span. Imminst - of which I am a member works with scientists all over the world to combine extremely cutting edge medical technology to investigate ways to increase lifespan and not merely use drugs to treat disease, but find the keys to curing it. One can certainly appreciate the investigation of disease outbreaks, and we do a lot of that here, but the ultimate goal is to cure the diseases. That is not an unobtainable goal. Medclinician

Medclinician, do you have access to the real bird flu statistics in your job? I understand if you can't afford to answer that question, but if you could state what pandemic alert level we truly are on it would be great. Plus if it's near the end you might as well tell us.
I am not a prophet
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 4:03am
Medclinician,I am truly impressed. If you are allowed to,you are in a position to keep this board updated on many disease that you consider worth while. I know that you probably have many false starts that pan out to nothing,but if any thing starts to look real,you could warn us.Would you be allowed to do that? Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

Medclinician,I am truly impressed. If you are allowed to,you are in a position to keep this board updated on many disease that you consider worth while. I know that you probably have many false starts that pan out to nothing,but if any thing starts to look real,you could warn us.Would you be allowed to do that? Johnray1

There is a definite protocol as to the procedure by which information would be communicated to the public from the government. Just as reporters talk to government people, in research, there is communication in the research community and there are significant considerations in terms of releasing information. For one, in the event of a real Pandemic a series of events would occur involving relocation  of leaders, military units, supplies, and also a plan and designated person and organization to formerly announce such information to the public.

There are news feeds you can access, scientific journals, and things that are a bit obscure, but public information. I have requested and received authorization to publish and release to the public anything available on the CDC site or archives by the officer (or one of the officers) in charge of information release.

I look forward to reading the exchange of ideas and information of the health professionals here.

MC

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 6:42am
medclinian,thank you for your response. I understand your answer. Than You, Johnray1
reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 7:23am

There are news feeds you can access, scientific journals, and things that are a bit obscure, but public information. I have requested and received authorization to publish and release to the public anything available on the CDC site or archives by the officer (or one of the officers) in charge of information release.

I look forward to reading the exchange of ideas and information of the health professionals here.

MC

[/QUOTE]  If its public information from the cdc or who..why do you need special permission to distribute???? Just go to these sites and learn for yourself jonny...there are NO restrictions..its public info..Med...does Albert alow us to talk about cdc site..oh better checkLOLLOL
"tell med the grasshoppers won"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 10:15am

. There are news feeds you can access, scientific journals, and things that are a bit obscure, but public information. I have requested and received authorization to publish and release to the public anything available on the CDC site or archives by the officer (or one of the officers) in charge of information release. I look forward to reading the exchange of ideas and information of the health professionals here. MC
  If its public information from the cdc or who..why do you need special permission to distribute???? Just go to these sites and learn for yourself jonny...there are NO restrictions..its public info..Med...does Albert alow us to talk about cdc site..oh better check[IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://www.avianflutalk.com/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>[IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://www.avianflutalk.com/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>[/QUOTE]

For gods sake grow up man and stop acting like a child with petty jibes at people.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 1:56pm
rhino...why don't you read the posts before running off your mouth.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 3:21pm

i do belive it was you running you mouth off being rude to people first.if you cant take it dont give it!!!!

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Rhino1978 Rhino1978 wrote:

i do belive it was you running you mouth off being rude to people first.if you cant take it dont give it!!!!

I was not rude to anyone. I refuse to let people make uninformed statements without any basis in fact...now go away..your a pain who should mind your own business.   
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 3:43pm

I was not rude to anyone. I refuse to let people make uninformed statements without any basis in fact...now go away..your a pain who should mind your own business.   

fine you could have made your point to several members on this site in a different way,but no you choose to be rude and pushy with people.And i refuse to let people be bullied verbally by the likes of you,so you go away you little man

You make me laugh.       your such a bully and btw what is wrong with little men..or black or gay or disfigured or fat... you have issues.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 4:15pm

fine you could have made your point to several members on this site in a different way,but no you choose to be rude and pushy with people.And i refuse to let people be bullied verbally by the likes of you,so you go away you little man

You make me laugh.       your such a bully and btw what is wrong with little men..or black or gay or disfigured or fat... you have issues.

HA HA HA is that the best you have got.Trying to say i have issues and im a bully?.You have bad mouthed a load of people on this site as soon as people have either stood up to you or defended other poeple.When Gnfin said to you "there no need to be rude" you started on him too.And if you had half a brain you would know "little man" has nothing to do with size,height,creed or sexuality.Now run along.

Your wasting my time... You have been dissmissed..no more soup for you!   
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 8:25pm
OK - the never ending quotes are giving me a headache. Play nice now. Don't make me turn this car around...
gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 8:32pm
Guys you have bigger problems. Have you looked at whats transpired with the Ebola virus lately?? LOOK....
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 4:18am

sorry jacksdad and gnfin your both right.

same here .   
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 4:22am
Aw, Let's all give each other a hug...

Long time lurker since day one to Member.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 6:49pm
I'm getting all misty here...

Quick update on something we discussed earlier. I had the chance to ask a couple of doctors what they know about BF. One said that it's "something that some people think might be a threat", while the other really didn't know much about it. In fact he thought that a vaccine for it already existed.

TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 1:22pm
O.K. folks I'm back (from Fed training on pan flu preparedness) what do you want to know?
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 2:23pm
EVERYTHING!!!!!!????
WHAT TO DO????
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 3:08pm
"They" now believe that waves may have been tied to transportation, so the current thinking is that there might only be one wave. 5% of the worlds population died in the last 2 weeks of October, 1918. There is no evidence of mild of asytomatic cases of H5N1, (this has been serology test confirmed), which means that if you get it right now, then you have a 60+% chance of dying.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 3:14pm
Case Fatality Rates (CFR) for Influenza: Seasonal 0.2%, Lesser Pandemics (Hong Kong & Asian Flu) 0.6-0.8%, 1918 2.5%, H5N1 60+%. H5N1 is currently like Ebola in that it kills so fast that it is not being passed on. When CFR's drop, Be Worried! Because H2H adaptation has arrived.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 3:18pm
I'm not trying to dole this information out in nuggets but I have alot of it and its easier to get the points across by not mixing them togeather....90% of current H5N1 Deaths are under 40 y/o with a median age of 19 y/o. In a typical flu season most deaths are due to a secondary bacterial pneumonia. In the 1918 pandemic it was due to an exceptionaly lethal primary viral pneumonia.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 3:22pm
HIV has taken 25 years to kill 25 million people, the Spanish Flu in 1918 took 6 months to kill 100 million. There is currently a K-9 influenza (its like Kennel Cough) but is 70-80% fatal. The current world population has never been exposed to the H5 subtype prior to 1997, thus we have no immunity. The influenza virus is capable of remaining viable on an inaniminate object for 24-48 hours.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 3:29pm
Viral Shedding (infectiousness) with H5N1 is from incubation (day 2)>>>>recovery (day 15), so you are infectious from before you know that you are sick until after you're better. This is why Quarantine WILL NOT WORK. The # of countries experiencing H5N1 outbreaks and their total deaths by year are: 2003 1/3, 2004 9/35, 2005 16/76, 2006 55/137.

TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 4:56pm
Consider this for a moment- Flu vaccinations are generally targeted towards the elderly, the very young, those with chronic health problems and Health Care Workers. Now here is the problem...70% of the elderly who die of the flu had the vaccine. Only 30% of the elderly seroconvert while 90% of school age children seroconvert. Now remembering that children are serious viral shedders (3-5 times more than adults), it would make sense to mass vaccinate them. They did just that in Japan in the 1980's and guess what? The elderly and the very young had drops in their respective death rates. The Japanese did this over a period of five years then stopped (?) and then the elderly and very young once again experienced increases in their death rates. Again while children are shedding the virus, if they have been vacinated then they are shedding that also, thus creating a "herd immunity" to anyone exposed to them.

TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 6:01am
O.K. since there have been no questions so far....It is anticipated that disposable equipment (that is still serviceable) will be reused by the individuals that it has been issued to. Example: HCWs may be issued 10-12 N-95s for the duration of the event. By rotating these supplies they will last longer. Another concept is that by applying a surgical mask over the N-95 it will last longer...the N-95 keeps the crud out, and the surgical mask keeps the crud from getting in. Hong Kong Poly Tech did a test and the interesting thing that they found out was that N-95s manage to keep out the influenza virus at a 97% rate and that a surgical mask keeps the influenza virus out at a 95% rate. So $1.00 apiece or .10 apiece, there are your options.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic