Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

We Need to Stop the Panic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We Need to Stop the Panic
    Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:08pm

ok....alot of things have haapened..but I still beleive that H2H has limited itself..and yes H5N1 is epidemic..badly it has hit Africa(and that is bad news)..in Italy..Iran,Iraq....O.K....deep breath....we have known all along this would happen...ok..I was the 15th member to sign in here(correct me if I am wrong)...I have followed avian flu since day one....

We are here for this purpose....things are happening fast..but they have before and they will again..we have to hold it together..

FIRST WE NEED SOMEONE..to summarize daily for us...on the news...

SECOND...we have 513 members the last time I checked..they need help..someone can help them..

THIRD....we don,t need to panic....

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:17pm

Facts are facts. No need to panic just prep. I would panic if i weren't preped.

I may briefly panic over a dead bird or person in my area  but will then go to my preps to solve the panic and the problem.

Panic if you have no solution.

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:29pm
i AM TOO TRYING TO BALANCE PANIC AND PREPPING.  I LIVE IN CANADA AND  THERE IS STILL NO SIGN OF PANIC OR BUYING .  tHE AVERAGE CAB DRIVER STILL HASNT A CLUE TO WHAT BIRD FLU IS AND THEY ARE   FRONT.LINE   
plainsman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plainsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:47pm

I agree it's too early to panic. I'm in a concerned mode at this time - just reading and thinking. Not sure what will make me spring into action. At least I'll have thought about it. So, I should be able to move rather quickly.

I also believe society will hold together better than expected. Even if it's severe, I don't see another New Orleans on a national scale. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:56pm

Plainsman, Hey there, welcome aboard.

As far as society falling to pieces.... you are probably locally correct.  Texans are a breed apart ( for the better) and will react differently than Chicagoans (or what ever they are called) or San Franciscans or Denverites.

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:07pm

We'll when you finally decide to spring into action, what are you going to do?

and if that is what you are going to do when you spring into action why not start springing now?

What makes you think there will be any springs available when you want to spring?

Maybe this spring?

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
CountryGirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:11pm
I don't panic too much if I have a plan and am prepared. There are days when there is a lot in the news and I get very concerned.
Country Girl
plainsman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plainsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:32pm

Thanks Zoe. I don't think it's so much Texas, as it is being in a smaller city (200,000). I think any major metropolitan area is going to have, well, major problems. The more rural areas should do better, not too rural though. Everyone is still going to need help. :-)

I almost chose to ignore your response Corn, but then I thought, what the heck. I've been kicked off boards before. :-)

What's your problem? I know it's hard for you to believe, but not everyone is ready to go running through the streets screaming THE FLU IS COMING! THE FLU IS COMING!

Besides, I have a big basement and a .38 with plenty of ammo. So, I figure I'm a leg up. :-)

elbows View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:33pm
When I see other people panicing it actually makes me strangely relaxed. Ive been seriously chilling out as a result of these forums in recent days, near hysteria sometimes it feels like!
plainsman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plainsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:43pm

I know what you're saying elbows. I think it's the contrarian in us. The more something is trumpeted, the more leery I become. :-)

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:46pm

I wish everyone would prep  within their capabilities. But don't kid yourself if you think yopu are just going to run out and do it when it's time.

You don't have to be worried about being kicked off this board. We are all equal here.

About the only thing I know of someone getting kick off the board would be for personal attacks. That would include me also.

You said spring into action and made it sound like some overnight thing. So I asked how do you spring?

Ask anyone who has preped... it is exhausting, day in day out work. Sometimes heavy, sometimes tiring. You cannot just spring unless you're Bill Gates.

And those who are waiting to spring. how do they know when?

Every day one procrastinates probably means they will get caught short when the hour has arrived.

Welcome to the board. You' and elbows can get your relief from watching the few of us alarmist keep  the word out to prep.  Prep while you can. there is no magic time.

Edited by Corn
elbows View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:48pm
OK then Preparation without Perspiration is my new slogan
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:51pm

That could be a new deodorant sales slogan........Buy BF deodorant. Preperation without perspiration.

One day I would like to save the world but I don't think it will be in my life time.

Edited by Corn
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:53pm

Yeah, I have to weigh in with Corn on this.  Although NO ONE knows when the magic hour will happen, it could be tomorrow or five years from now. 

But prepping, with the goal of maximizing your money and quality of items IS exhausting.  Physically. Emotionally. Financially. Intellectually. 

It took many, many DAYS of research and tracking down.  Days turned into months.  I have been doing it for a year and I'm still not done.  It never really ends.  But I have enough that if it did happen tomorrow, I wouldn't be out in the masses fighting over anything. 

I would be out doing my last minute list.  Items that I have deliberately put off until zero hour.  No one is going to be fighting me for that roto-tiller or bag of lime when and if zero hour arrives.

merrittjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:02pm
SophiaZoe... I like your last minute preps.... do you already have all the canning jars you'll need?  Those, a good pressure canner, and plenty of seeds are on my list for next week.  I'm also going to build a cold frame to get my little seedlings off to an early start.........
willtolive
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:05pm

John, yep I have all those things.... that's what put me in mind of the tiller...when I got to thinking about hand turning that much real estate my back began to ache.  I'm not as young as I used to be.

BTW: I spent early fall learning all about pressure canning.  It was fun and scary at that same time.  I learned a lot and I was able to greatly expand my preps in the process.

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:07pm

Guys,

i would not get so wired the last few days but the logic of this whole BF mess is becoming so apparent. I see it unfolding before some of it actually hits the news. Nothing physic. just logical deduction from information gathering.

Some people are watching BF as it happens. Some of us see the next thing that will  happen.

I don't mind posting my conclusions. They are pretty obvious and elementary. Just passing them on for good or bad so that some will take notice and maybe can use to their advantage.

I can also end up with egg on my face for being so fore telling but  I will pass that along.

You guys are worth throwing that info out to.

There are some here in this group that see this forum as thier best chance to get thru all this come what may.

So If I gleen a tidbit from all the intelegence we're gathering I'll point that out as a possible heads up.

If anybody panics I recommend taking a shot of whiskey that we should  all have stashed in our preps.

Remaining silent would be a crime.

Edited by Corn
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:11pm

Here too I also have to agree with Corn...You would not believe how many people That I have talked to about BF is waiting for that magical moment for their own personal alarm to go off.  Sadly these include my children and family members! Once that alarm goes off you have to understand that you will probably be in competition with everyone else out there...just look at what was told to Hong Kong today! And those poor people will be in competition with every other resident trying to do the correct thing and stock up. But when the shelves are bare and you are there trying to do the same thing....what then? Are you going to try and take what you can from everyone else? You have to remember that even though you may have a gun...chances are that the other one has a bigger one than you do and is a better shot! Not trying to be an "Alarmist" but will willingly wear that title if that is necessary just to get you to realize to start prepping now!  So Okay I'm a smother mother...but hey that's what I do and proudly do well!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:11pm
Hi everyone! I am only panicing at times because I have not had the financial means to prepare yet. I will be able to start buying next month as we have been waiting for some money from my late husbands estate to clear. So being a single mom not yet being able to buy supplies is stressfull. I think we will still have a few months before WCS. But I will start preparing as soon as I can!
I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:24pm
I agree to prep or lay back some stuff, is a good idea I always have every winter, and add back to the stock as it's rotated out. So it's no great big deal to me.

I am not paniced and won't be, it will be what it is, no more no less. I have concerns as this stuff spreads, maybe it will mutate out of existence.

None absolutely none of my preps, are stuff we don't use. Look at my posts, cheap stuff is my way. I won't spend my normal bill money for preps. If it gets bad, we will make do, with what we have. I won't buy ONE MRE, not one, my dog probably won't eat them. Spacecamp stuff, freeze dried stuff, I couldn't use it if I needed it. I'd be better off with one squirrel and some flour, make dumplins and feed 5 people.

I have posted several times, FEAR not flu is moy concern. If it does go to H2H and shows up in the US. People will go nuts, more will get killed in wrecks, and fighting over bread and milk than the flu will get.

I spent my day with a friend in a major city, he has no emergency stuff, no food, water, alternate heat, lights or cooking. NOTHING, if we had a major fuel shortage he and people like him would be in trouble FAST.

He is far more concerned about a nuke event than flu. No matter how many times or ways this is discussed, at the end of TODAY who knows, if or when is the right term to use. Who knows, not me for sure.

plainsman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plainsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:28pm

meewee - Who said anything about taking something from someone else? I have a large basement to put supplies in and am armed to defend my family. Period. 

Chill!

I wouldn't be on this board if I didn't take this threat seriously. 

CupcakeMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CupcakeMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:28pm
Sweets, I'm a single mom too and I just want to say you have our support.  Honestly, I know we aren't supposed to lose sleep over this bf thing but before I was able to stockpile anything I was really on edge.  Getting some preparations done really goes a long way towards relieving some of the anxiety.  Maybe during the time you're waiting for the money to come through, you can plan on paper how to spend the money the best (that takes time) and how to get the most value out of it.  And make any other plans too (like how to get the kids to learn at home and where you would plant a garden, etc.)  We're definitely here for you, sweets, just let us know what advice or support you need....   Best, cupcake mom
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:43pm

I first heard about a possible BF pandemic on September 25, 2005.  I remember that evening all too well.

Since then, I've obsessed over planning/researching and made dozens, and dozens, of purchases both locally and online.  It's been over four months and I'm still not done.  Anyone who thinks they can start shopping when H2H hits is delusional.  The supermarkets and bulk warehouses will empty quickly.

If you made it to this forum, you probably spent time doing a lot of online research.  Take what you can from the multitude of topics and friendly knowledgeable members, and then, my best advice would be get started ASAP.

Panic... No
Prep... Absolutely!

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:44pm
If you here, the info will help you through any uncommon situation.
DarlMan View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:49pm

I live in NC.  A few years ago I lived in Raliegh NC.  I am over 35 years old and I had never ever, ever seen a hurricane push into NC far enough to cause me any real problems.

I was at work one day and the talk of the day was about hurricane Fran.  I took it with a grain of salt, I mean no hurricane ever really caused me more problems than maybe my cable going out.

Then the boss comes in and says they are sending everyone home early.  I thought how crazy is this.  I check out the local weather site on the internet (wral) and it did look like it was headed our way.

I decided to pick up a few things on the way home.  Imagine my surprise when there was nothing left.  I had waited to long and the shelves were bare of anything that would prove usefull.

I managed to find 6 D bataries that had fallen down between the shelves.

I was without any power, phone, water, or AC (it was the summer) for over a week.  I had to make do with heating up my coffee outside over a friggin fire.   Those battieres were a God send because otherwise I would have gotten no news what so ever.

If you have never be totally unprepared for something then you just can not imagine a time when you want something and have the money, but just can't get it.

No one here is saying anything other than don't get caught without your battieres .

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:58pm
Darlman,
I have been through several hurricanes and I have also seen where there is NOTHING left on the shelves when you go to the store to buy supplies.  When there have been hurricanes, most of the time,  I have gone to the store to buy enough supplies to last for approximately a week or so and have had difficulty finding things.  I can't imagine what it will be like when people all throughout the country are trying to buy supplies to last for weeks or months.  People will truly begin to panic that happens.

I have tried to get people to prep now and hopefully they will listen and not wait til it's too late.

Edited by jackson
plainsman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plainsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:04pm

Why do I feel like I came to the party late and everyone else is already high? :-)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:25pm

Well, I tried to post this already.... either it was deleted or it didn't take.

So, I will repost it.

Plainsman:

Check the Members Only Room.... some of us are.

SZ

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:26pm
We're not as think as you stoned we are. Tongue
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
AnnE View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:46pm
It is clear to me I've ended up in the right place. 
blackmagicwoman View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmagicwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:58pm
  Mee Wee please bring me up to date what did they tell Hong Kong today?  I would like to know if anyone is stocking there deep freezer full or just putting in a little food just in case of powere outage.  I'm not sure wether to buys meats and more frozen food.  Some suggestions will be helpful.  Can someone tell me where to find canning jars they seem to be seasonal around here.  I ordered a pressure canner and we are prepared to make a garden if needed.  How many jars would you suggest?  For those that  would like to buy a tiller.  I would say buys it as soon as you can.  Right now they are hard to find around here.  The people at the store said everyone seems to want one.  I'm not sure why. 
Mississippi Mama
Fiddlerdave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:15pm

After reading The Coming Plague years ago, I gained a HUGE awareness jump over a low level knowledge of the disease dangers of population pressure and poverty.  In the last year, occassionally reading BF news had made me think that in a few years, we could see a Big One. (Mind you, my own feeling is that biological warfare development is more a threat to civilization than nuclear weapons ever were - leaders with their finger on THE BUTTON, while often unstable and arrogant in many ways, are usually not suicidal - with bioweapons, a depressed lab tech could do us in by taking a deep breath with his mask off and going to an airport bar).

In the few weeks since I signed on this site, I have watched a breathtaking and accelerating spread of a disease that is short just a few attributes (all genetically available from viral cousins) of surpassing the 1918 pandemic in a world of Just In Time supplies and overburdened infrastucture.  And, by reading carefully, I am seeing most of the shortsided, venal, and manipulative behavior on the part of authorities that Robert Heinlein had warned me of in my younger days,

I am not feeling panic, but I do feel like I was asleep at the switch, and have woken up to see a light in the distance coming my way that I am hoping is not a locomotive. 

Dave
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for us"!
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 9:41pm

I'm also pepping but not panicing. I'm single, so prepping is easier for me than those of you with families. Geez if this was happening when I was growing up things would have been tough on my parents with 6 kids to feed. I am planning on pulling resources with my best friend and we have agreed that I would stay with him. Don't want to be by myself if this does come to fruition.

I read posts and news everyday. I think being prepared with knowledge is important. And logic does dictate certain things. It's obvious that the public is not being informed of everything for whatever reason and therefore sometimes I have to read between the lines to figure out what's really going on.

I tell everyone, "I hope I'm being a drama queen, nut ball or whatever label someone wants to throw on me."

"Prepping is Power"!
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 8:38am

Hi I am still about a month out from getting my money, so I can start preparing. The reason I worry is because I have been in the panic buying situation before (HK sars). 

I think that here as soon as a local news report says anything about bf the buying will start. 

I am not panicking but am stressed I cannot start stocking up. When I get the money I will start filling a small storage near my home.

Last night when I got my pneumonia shot my mom finally started to listen about bird flu, so that was good. I find when I bring it up to family and friends I need to really explain facts and stay away from anything else.

Hong Kong is a different situation when it comes to stocking up. People there buy food daily. Everyday people go to the wet market  and buy what they need for that day. Houses are small flats are smaller, there is not alot of place to store things. Also the climate is a problem in the summer if you don't have power for cooling.

People in HK will stock up on oil rice ramen noodles canned meat dried fish western medicine  MASKS and such. I really don't think many will look at the thought of no electricity or water. 

What I watch is what are the expats doing? As soon as things get hairy they tend to leave HK for home. This hasn't started yet, but it may start with spring break. They sometimes go home and don't return (teachers )

Also the large companies keep a watch on the current situation and have guidlines for expats leaving. 

I am now trying to figure out how to live in Hk without Power and Water if that ever arose. I am looking into solar power as an option for cooling in the summer. Propane is widely used for cooking there. The company brings you a big canister that sits outside the kitchen window. No water is what I am trying to still figure out if it got to that. It's not the best climate for going out and digging a toilet hole. (darn Insects)

Any way I am not panicing just trying to look ahead a few months and trying to be a step ahead if trouble arises.

I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
Smaug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smaug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:45pm
The big PANIC will start when Who raises the alert level to 4 or 5.  Take advantage of the current situation while there is still some calm to finish loading up with supplies.  When the big PANIC hits you will have no desire to be outside your  home.
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 2:07pm

Another reason you dont want to be caught unaware and in the stores at the last minute You would be exposing yourself to multiple people and increasing your risk of contracting the virus.

Even if there are supplies left you dont want to risk getting H5N1.

rowee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 2:42pm

Corn,

I'm with you..

Remaining silent would be a crime. - Panic NO, Concerned YES. - Prep YES.

Participating in a forum like this, with 'ALL' it's diversity of opinions is just fantastic... I've found 513 like minded people, who are interested in the same subject

Keep going guys...

It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious. (A. N. Whitehead, British Philosopher 1861 - 1947)
Dualis View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dualis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:33pm
To avoid panicing in my prep, I have purchased a wine making kit.  soon I'll have some Honey Mead fermenting and wine making supplies will be still on the shelf when everyone is scrabbling for basic stockpiling.
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:47pm

Yes,don't forget to buy yeast. yeast and sugar.  mmmm. hic. up...burp!

pola33193 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pola33193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:48pm
The important thing is to be "PREPARED "I am feeling a little more relax now that i have at least 60% of my preparations out of the way  I live in Miami so I know that you have to be prepared for the worst scenarios in case of a hurricane if you wait , you will probably not going to find anything in the supper market ! not only that but dealing with people in an emergency is very dangerous !
pola
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 8:07pm
  SophiaZoe,h ow many canning jars do you plan to buy.  I've never canned anything but plan to do so.  I have already ordered a pressure canner.  I bought 12 boxes of canning jars today.  They come in boxes of 12.  I' wondering should I get more and just hold on to them so if they are needed.  I would hate not to get enough and find in a few months I need more and can't find them.  I will be ordering my seeds tomorrow and buying a tiller Sat. or Mon. 
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 6:19am
Mississippi Mama -- They're probably cheap enough that it wouldn't hurt to get more. Also make sure you get extra lids so that once you've eaten the contents of a jar, you can reuse it in future canning efforts. -- Libby
Lee2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 8:46am

Well, I just registered to get in on this conversation.  I prepped a little for Y2K - over my hubby's objections - and of course nothing happened. He laughed about that and called me a panicker. 

Then we had the freak little "Elvis" hurricane in Memphis and I quietly added a little more to my "stash".  I found it hard to rotate and maintain stock and wound up losing some stuff.  Other dry goods came in handy over lean paydays.   Anyway... Hubby has never supported being prepared - not really.  But I always felt better having some preps. 

It was during Katrina that I saw a little change in hubby's attitude.  If those people had had water and a little food, they would have been in much better shape, etc., etc.  I began to think about prepping again.  After all, the unthinkable had actually happened, so maybe my instincts were right.

Then - we moved!  Hubby got another job.  We are now in a small town in an upstairs apartment.  Our home hasn't sold yet and we're waiting for that to happen before buying another house.  I have little or no preparations at all!   I'm not panicing - just kinda concerned.  I keep feeling this little knot of concern in the pit of my stomach.   My gut tells me to get out there and get some food together - but my mind says "Where are you going to put it?"  We are kinda tight in here with two teens and each other.  We do have the grill and camp stove and some bottled gas.

The point is - do I listen to my gut now?  Or do I wait and see?  I've got to admit I'm conflicted!   I do have the money at least but I don't know - for some reason I'm hesitating... But you guys are right.  If you wait too long there will be long lines and empty aisles.  My biggest worry is water.

meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 9:04am

Welcome to our forum Lee2! IMHO Please listen to your gut...that is what will save you nine out of ten times! That's why it's there!...As far as water I finally broke down and ordered an MSR MOIX water filter and have been getting bottled water. We have a 9'x 36" wading pool that we are also prepared to set up and fill up in our shop out back plus about 8, five gallon jugs and the bath tubs. as far as space goes...Muskrat can probably help you out there! She has her preps everywhere Under beds behind furniture in the closets etc. Have you thought about getting a storage unit close by and using that for the dry goods and when TSHTF go there and pull it all out? Please feel free to ask any questions and we will all help out as best we can! Hope to see more of you in the future...once again Welcome

Meewee

God Bless us all!
Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 9:05am
My thoughts:  We all know the theory about the extinction of the dinasors, you know the one about the big meteor that landed in the gulf of mexico.  Well what if it was juat another case of bird flu - instead?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic